New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Scarred Lands (IC)

Heinrich

"There's nothing more I can do here. I'm going to go scout the area. Maybe I'll find a village or something. I'll check in by nightfall."

I'll head straight inland for a couple hours, then swing around to the north and follow the coast back. Then I'll repeat that path to the south. No telling whats out there, so I should be stealthy about it.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

After hearing the dark elf say he is going to leave, Graeme considers to himself, Most likely, 'e'll be signallin' 'is compatriots who did this. I cannae let 'im do tha'.

Graeme turns from his work, letting the healing continue on its own and says, "Methinks tha' be a bad idea, Heinrich. We should stick together. Tha' way if there be other nefarious types out there, we could face 'em together. Plus, mayhap th' cap'n knows where we be. Methinks it would be wise tae wait 'til 'e comes 'round."
    Last edited by Darius; 2007-12-05 at 08:38 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

After all this and he still doesn't trust me? No surprise. Typical for his kind, really.

"Other? Take care with your accusations. If there are any nefarious types out there, we are much better off knowing what we are up against."

He turns his back on the dwarf and begins walking towards the center of the island.

Now we see how deep his prejudices run. If he attacks me... well, best be prepared, just in case.

Heinrich subtly draws his sap and conceals it in his hand.

4. - Top - End - #124

STOP! Ty shouts as the dark elf walks away, having heard the conversation between him and Graeme, and rushing to reach him.

Are you foolish enough to believe whoever orchestrated our coming is going to let you scout this place at your leisure? It is clear everything up to now was a trap, and you want to risk more tricks? I thought you were a sensible man. None of us is going to leave alone, not when we are so few, and certainly not when some of us are wounded. We're all staying here, because we need all the available personnel to defend ourselves. You're all too valuable to go around risking your life just now. Once we have managed to settle, we might organize scouting parties, but for now, you're staying here, he says, as he glares at Graeme.

I just hope I don't have to contain him. Infighting and disenssion will only make us weaker, and we'll need all the strength we can get before we can get off the island.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

Heinrich stops and turns around to face Ty.

Not this fool again. Why does he think he knows everything?

"Do you know anything about warfare? Scouting?" Heinrich's voice is low and aggressive. He is not shouting, but can clearly be heard by the entire group. He is clearly frustrated and a little angry. "I was leading raiding parties long before you were born. I've forgotten more about stealth than you will ever know. Ask him" he points at Graeme with the hand not concealing the sap "how effective my people's techniques are. Now, there is nothing I can do to help here. I don't know the first thing about healing or wilderness survival. What I can do is go get some information. I can handle myself out there. A lone scout has a much better survival rate than a scout and an untrained companion. We need information. It is risky but the potential benefits outweigh the potential losses. So now, are you going to do something useful or get in the way of those who already are? I have my task, and I will perform it."

With that he resumes his march towards the interior of the island.

6. - Top - End - #126

Very well. It's your neck, not mine, Ty mutters as the elf walks away, but he has other plans.

Etrius, change your color to gray and follow this man. We need to know how does his mission fare, and you can keep an eye on him.

Boss, why are we spying on him? I thought we were in the same team? The crystal "whispers", a touch of reproval in his voice.

And we are, and that's the reason I want to know where he goes. If he needs helps, we mightn't hear his screams, but you can inform me of it.

Okay, boss. I'll get goint, the crystal says, as it detaches and changes in color to a dull grey, also graying his "legs". As he departs in pursuit of the elf, Ty turns around and smirks.

So...I don't know much, do I? Let's see how much and how quick I can learn.
    Last edited by Azerian Kelimon; 2007-12-05 at 11:16 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Gislana nods as she watches Graeme's waves of Corean healing wash over the surviving victims.

Very nice work, мистер Graeme. Perhaps the mountain folk have some value after all. It seems that this has stabilized these three.

She twists to look up at Dael.

You! Skinny boy. You and the halfling, take the Captain up to the edge of the beach. Find something soft to cushion his head. Maybe see if he'll take some water.

Glancing over at Ty, she decides that some energies are best kept busy.

Hey! Shouty man! You have a tent? Maybe you take one there? It would be good to get these people under shelter.

Edit: Missed that Ty had already set up his tent.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2007-12-05 at 04:15 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #128

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

Heinrich: "Other? Take care with your accusations. If there are any nefarious types out there, we are much better off knowing what we are up against."

Graeme is a bit shocked at Heinrich's outburst. He thinks to himself, Ahh, thar ye go, darkie - show 'em all yer true colors.

Graeme makes no motion to stop Heinrich. He only grunts out a scoffing snort of a laugh followed by, "Typical."

When Ty steps (or stomps in his bigness) in and Heinrich turns on him, too, Graeme can only smile. This be why we dwarves'll beat ye, darkie - evil turns on itself. When Heinrich mentions how effective the drow are at warfare and stalking, it is as if a dark cloud hovers over the dwarf. His once kind eyes darken again, his jaw sets firm, and his bushy eyebrows furrow to reflect his ire.

As Heinrich stalks off, Graeme puts a hand out to Ty to indicate he should not follow and says, "An' people think Graeme MacKelan is grumpy...tha' be th' reason why, lads...and lass. Dinnae follow 'im...but send yer pet if'n ye like. Methinks Heinrich knows more 'bout this 'ere situation than 'e be lettin' on. Ye may o' noticed, 'e avoided me questions las' night. Spyin' on us, 'e was. Now, 'e mos' likely needs tae report. Let 'im do it, but keeps a wary eye on 'im ye should do if'n ye be smart."

Graeme looks over at Gislana and says, "Gislana 'as them others stabilized. We should get 'em intae th' shade like was said b'fore. If'n ye can, puts me shield under one o' 'em while I gets me pack." He hustles back to retrieve his gear (and the keg) and returns to help get the three other survivors to a safer place.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

9. - Top - End - #129

At your service, Madame, I'll be pleased to help. Graeme, could you help me carry the injured to the tent? And my Arcanist friend, could you please light a fire at near the tent? The injured need warmth, Ty says as he walks back towards the injured. As he passes Graeme by he whispers a don't worry about the elf. He's being watched, and he's just a bitter man, most likely, and proceeds to gently lift the singing maiden and carry her to his tent.
    Last edited by Azerian Kelimon; 2007-12-05 at 12:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sean
    Why, why, why do those tallies get so worked up about minimal things... we need to get back on our journey - it's strange, taken one by one, they are look like good fellas...

Shaking his head and rolling his eyes at the "situation" coming up, the halfling approaches the silent red head
    "Oh, come on - let's get that capt'n out... we can't leave a decent man to marinate too long, can we?"

For sure it will take some time - one light man and half, moving an heavy one (with more than half to spare)...
    Last edited by WakkaWakka; 2007-12-06 at 07:24 AM.
    Currently playing as:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Dusk, The First Corday of Belot

You spend most of the rest of the day drying out, establishing a beach-head, and generally attempting to regain your humanity, or your race's equivalent value. The three others seem to have suffered internal injuries, slowing their return to wakefulness, though Irina shows some signs of stirring as it begins to get duckish.

As the last rays of the sun begin to slide behind the cliff faces, Heinrich returns, slipping silently into the camp.

Spoiler
    Show

Do people know what I mean by Duckish, or is that an entirely Newfoundland turn of phrase?
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

12. - Top - End - #132

Madrigal

Lucas stands in steadfast vigil, guarding the "camp" from intruders of any kind. Nothing is too small to look into. While his body does not tire of this, his mind wanders a little, trying to figure out where to go from here.

After a while, he is satisfied no one else is around, and decides to build a fire. Anyone looking close will easily notice the glimmer of light reflecting through Lucas' armor...

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

As he approaches the camp, Heinrich abandons his stealth and walks plainly.
    The fire would be a good place to congregate, though if I missed any watchers, our numbers will be evident. Of course, if there are any watchers, they've probably been able to discern our numbers already anyway.

Nodding to Madrigal, Heinrich walks over to the tent.
    "If these three can be left alone for a bit, let's gather at the fire and I'll give my report. Then we can discuss what to do next."

Anyone with even the slightest ability to read people will notice that Heinrich is a good deal calmer than when he left.

14. - Top - End - #134

Back again. Better prepare to help him answer any questions. But before that...Etrius, back to me, please.

Obediently, the psicrystal scurries to Ty and reattaches to his armor.

It's been a long time since I last saw you, buddy. Did you find anything interesting?

Not much, boss. If there's anything around this parts, it hides well, the crystal says as he starts relaying his experiences.

Good. Now, let's see what our friend has to say.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Rising from her vigil over the three injured, Gislana nods.

I believe that these three are restink normally now. We can meet and plan.

It is a relief that the elf has returned safely. I did not look forward to having to divide our attention with a search.

Huh. I wonder if whatever sent me the dream foresaw this as well.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

Nodding to Gislana, Heinrich walks back to the fire, where he takes his rapier, sheathe and all, off his belt and sits on the ground Ganjus-style, resting the sheathed sword across his lap.
    Last edited by fendrin; 2007-12-07 at 06:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

Graeme does his best to help the injured, but he knows that he is outclassed by Gislana. While he watches her administer to the fallen, an odd feeling comes over the dwarf - one that he hasn't felt before. He smiles down at her and continues to admire her skill. He says to her, "Gislana, if'n I fall, I hope tha' ye be thar tae takes care o' me." He rests his hand on her shoulder and smiles at her. Then, after a time, he realizes what he this looks like and removes his hand and clears his throat. "Methinks tha' Heinrich be back...we best see wha' 'e saw."

He leaves the tented area and joins the others. Taking out his keg, he pulls out his flagon and shares the dark brew with the party.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Given the extremity of the circumstances they all find themselves in, Gislana does little more than stiffen a bit when Graeme puts a hand on her shoulder, and she most emphatically does not slip the sickle from its hook at her belt and use it to sever his forearm. Instead, she smiles faintly, and tries to see the intent behind the gesture.

And the same goes for me to you, Graeme, should I not yet be prepared for Nemorga's arms. My thanks. And...yes, we should go check in.

She follows him out to meet up with the elf.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sean
    Rest... sleep... I could do with some - oh, there's someone coming back ... better be awake for that...
    The halfling splashes himself with some (more) water, to keep the tiredness of the day at bay.
    Enthusiasm regained, he turns to the red-head "volunteer" - "Dael, let's go and hear - scouts have always the best stories to share... and who knows, maybe more than stories"
    Currently playing as:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140

Madrigal

The fire built, Lucas takes a seat and looks around at those by the fire. It doesn't take much to notice the tension between Graeme and Gislana, even for the slight moment it happens. Afterall, his mind no longer tied down by the efforts of the flesh makes it easy to notice more.

"We should rest here tonight, gather our strength, and start scouting at dawn. We need to know what else is around here, and I imagine the wounded only getting worse on this beach." His words are deep and tinted with a metallic echo as he has still not removed a single piece of armor.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

When all of the survivors have come to the fire, Heinrich begins his report.

"Beyond the beach proper are dunes, then foothills, leading to a dense forest. I found an old path to the south of here. I followed it towards shore and found a dock, which appeared abandoned. There were no boats. The path also went into the forest, but I was unable to ascertain its destination and still make it back by nightfall. I did not see evidence of anything hostile, but there may be predators in the forest."

He pauses for a moment, then continues.

"It makes sense to rest here tonight. Tomorrow I think we should take the forest path and see where it leads us. Hopefully we will find some civilization."
    Last edited by fendrin; 2007-12-09 at 10:58 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Nodding at Heinrich's words, Gislana looks around at the others.

That makes excellent sense. I shall work tonight to have the three patients mobile by morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    After the conversation, she'll use her remaining spells to attempt to rouse the captain, elf and half-elf.

Cure Moderate Wounds for the captain - (2d8+3)[9]
    Cure Moderate Wounds for the half-elf woman - (2d8+3)[11]
    Cure Light Wounds for the Forsaken elf - (1d8+3)[4]

23. - Top - End - #143

DwarfClericGuy

Night, The First Corday of Belot

Despite Geilana's best efforts, Mirrendel and the captain remain unconscious. More luck is had, however, with Irina. For a brief moment, she fluttered into awareness, mumbling something incoherent, and then fell into unconsciousness once more. It is the studied opinion of the Healers that she is out of the proverbial woods.

The other two are more worrisome. Perfectly circular bruises covered various parts of their bodies, and both still ran fevers. They would soon need better shelter than this, if they were to survive.

The night passed rather uneventfully, though both moons were waning, leading an air of sinister darkness to the land, and the wind did not seem to die down. However this, too, passed with the rising of the sun.

Dawn brought a cool, clear, cloudless morning, with only the barest hint of a breeze blowing off the ocean.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

Up since before dawn, Heinrich sits by the ashes of the fire, slowly dragging a whetstone along the length of his rapier. Holding it up, he sees the first faint rays of the sun glisten off of it's razor sharp edge. Smiling with satisfaction, he sheathes it pulls out his handaxe, sharpening it with the deliberation of a master craftsman.

When that task is complete, he hangs the sword and axe on his belt, positions his quiver on his shoulder, straps his shield to his back, and strings his bow.

25. - Top - End - #145

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

Graeme listens to the report and adds nothing, for it is obvious to him that nothing needs to be added. Instead, he expends the rest of his divine spells on the patients by converting all of them to healing. Before he retires, he says, "We should use some o' tha' wreckage fer some litters. Mayhap those on watch kin gather yon bigger pieces tha' we dinnae use fur kindlin'." He sleeps in his armor and doesn't even consider to join any watch. Haggis nestles in his beard.

Spoiler
    Show

ooc: 3 cure minors and a cure light (1d8+1)[2]

On the morrow, Graeme spends some time in quiet reflection and prayer. He then packs up his things and says, "I can pull one o' 'em."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Come morning, Gislana checks in on the three unconscious folk, and tries to assess how they are faring. She then goes off to offer up her own prayers at the water's edge.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to get a sense if they're going to be all right, or are in a static coma of some kind. (1d20+6)[7] Heal check.

27. - Top - End - #147

Madrigal

Lucas stands watch all night and morning long, until someone begins to stir. Once it seems everyone is awake, he makes sure all of his equipment is where it used to be, and stays quiet. I hope those two awaken soon...

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sean
    Sean just crashes for the night on an almost-dry bedroll, on the beach, with the sound of the waves lulling the tired 'ling to sleep, in the warm night...

As the sun slowly wakes him up, he's rummaging again in the shipwreck - looking for something that could pass for breakfast - if only he could find his backpack... those few rations inside wouldn't be enough - but would be a start
    Spoiler
    Show
    Search roll... (1d20+2)[11] (I don't even know why I bother...)

Abandoned the search (or found the almost useless rations to divide among way too many hungry shipwrecks...), he'll be ready for the day - to follow the scout's steps!
    Currently playing as:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149

Hmmm....where am I? Ah, yes the beach and the crash, Ty thinks as he struggles to remember the recent events. Well, time to rise and shine, he murmurs to himself as he dons his armor, sheathes his sword, and awakens the power of his mind. Just as he is about to leave his tent, he remembers the most important part of his preparations. Etrius, wake up. It's a new day and we better get going.

New day? Let me sleep a little longer, boss, The crystal grumbles as it grows it's legs and ataches itself to his armor.

Exiting his tent, Ty discovers most of the camp already awake and ready. Approaching the dark elf, he gently taps his shoulder.

I would like to apologize for my brusqueness yesterday. I should have had some manners, but it was a dangerous situation and I was busy with the wounded. Would you accept a duel to warm up and prepare for the day? he says as he prepares to ask a question. And by the way, you never told me your name. Could I have the pleasure of learning it?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"Actually, I did tell you, back on the boat. You just weren't listening."
    He shakes his head.
    "I guess it doesn't really matter. My name is Heinrich of Sophia Golemmaker. As for a duel... perhaps you mean you want to spar? Where I come from a duel usually ends with one or both of the participants dead."
    He glances up at the sun.
    "We haven't much time, so instead of a full session, we should spar to the first touch. Friendly rules, of course."
    He slings his bow across his back and straps on his shield.

Spoiler
    Show
    Friendly rules: Subdual only, first round no movement or attacks.