New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151

Default Re: The Scarred Lands (IC)

I meant a fencing duel. Pity I don't have a rapier or thinblade, but I guess a longsword'll do. He says as he unsheathes his sword, and assumes a combat stance. But before we begin...(D) Etrius, drop down, please. Obediently, the psicrystal detaches and scurries away to the tent.

Now, let's begin.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm taking a total defense action. And I'm readying a move action to feint after parrying your first swing.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

After 'Har-umphing' at the display of bravado, Graeme watches the two intently in their sparring. Mayhap I kin learn th' secret o' th' darkie's ways so I kin 'elp th' cause, Graeme thinks to himself. He finds the whole thing to be a waste of energy, however.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"I just sharpened my rapier to a razor's edge. It would not be safe in a friendly contest, and I don't want to dull the blade."
    He pulls out his sap, which is little more than than a weighted boiled leather sack with a hilt made of the same.
    "This will hurt, but it won't kill. At least, not in one hit. I'm sure you can see the logic in that."
    He assumes a typical combat stance, shield front and sap-hand raised, the head of a the sap hanging over his shoulder.
    "Come on, youngling. Take your best shot."

Spoiler
    Show
    Readying a standard action to strike when you attack.
    By the way, Feinting is a standard action, not a move action (unless you have Improved Feint). For that matter, readying is a standard action, so you can't use total defense and ready an action in the same round.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

Madrigal

There is a slight creak of metal as Lucas looks over at the two about to duel. There would be a sigh of disdain here, were he able to make one. Instead, he settles on saying, "You should save your energy. We may be attacked at any time... its best to be ready for it."

5. - Top - End - #155

Do not worry about that, friend. I doubt whoever brought us here would be careless enough to send something at us so soon. Plus, this will give us the chance to observe each other's combat style, which will help if we need to fight like a team, he says, without looking away from Heinrich. Then, he suddenly attempts a lunge at him, falling back after attempting the attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Doing a normal attack, but converting to nonlethal damage: (1d20+2)[20]
    If it hits: (1d8+4)[6]
    Then using a move action to move 10' backwards. Normally, that'd be a bad idea, but since this duel will only last 'till the first hit, it's better to play hit 'n run.
    Last edited by Azerian Kelimon; 2007-12-11 at 08:03 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"Well, this won't really..."

As Ty lunges, Heinrich swings his sap in an arc towards Ty's extended arm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Note, readied actions occur before the triggering action, so if this is a hit, Heinrich wins the 'duel'. If it misses, Ty wins, as a 20 will hit Heinrich.
    attack - (1d20+8)[21]
    damage - (1d6+1)[4] subdual

"...tell us all that much. That was a good, solid blow you hit me with, but I struck first. This contest proves nothing, however. I don't make a habit of facing off with my opponents."

Heinrich does a quick somersault and twists around behind Ty.

"I prefer to attack from here."
    Last edited by fendrin; 2007-12-11 at 09:25 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157

In fact, this isn't my favorite way of fighting either. I prefer weakening my opponents through attrition, or taking the size you saw when I lifted the ship and pressing the advantage of my reach factor. However, I can only do that a few times per day, so I prefer saving it. Hmm... he says as he sheathes his sword back. I think this has just given us a clue of how to work as a team. If we meet an enemy, I'll grow and do some ostentation, allowing you to hit the opponent unhindered as they concentrate on me, he says as he commands Etrius to return, and sits down. Now, how could we fit everyone else? he mutters in a meditative state.

8. - Top - End - #158

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

"Since ye likes tae strike from th' rear, t'would be easy fur me tae gets ye thar. Th' problem is, lads, tha' ye be thinkin' o' fightin' two legged folks. Wha' ol' Graeme be worried 'bout be fightin' some manner o' many legged creature th' likes I ne'er laid eyes upon b'fore. Mayhap ye 'aven't noticed, but we be stuck in some place no respectable dwarf would be caught dead in."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"What, Graeme, are you expecting us to find a beast with a head on each end?"
    He shrugs.
    "We don't know what we are going to face. Until we know that we can only guess at a strategy."
    He returns his sap to his belt and slings his shield on his back, readying his bow once again.
    Last edited by fendrin; 2007-12-12 at 09:04 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Heinrich

"What, Graeme, are you expecting us to find a beast with a head on each end?"
    Graeme MacKelan

Not liking the sarcasm, Graeme thinks to himself, Nay, darkie, I met one o' 'em beasts wit' a 'ead on each end - it is black and pointy eared wit' one 'ead, and th' one on th' other be stuck up its arse. Graeme simply smiles at Heinrich enjoying his joke.

ooc: Darius turns the page to the next chapter.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Gislana comes to the others, having been checking on the three injured.

Well, assumink that you boys have stopped hitting each other with your sticks, we can talk. The woman, Irina, yes? She is slowly recovering. Sometimes she is well, sometimes she is not so well. She will not be walkink any long distance, not soon. The elf...

In a gauntleted hand, she carefully holds up a spiny tip.

The Forsaken one is forsaken by his luck too. Poison in this is still in his system. He is fightink well.

She speaks with a respectful surprise, nodding to Heinrich.

I had heard that you elves were weak, but his body, it is holdink on to life. It will remain to see if his mind can do the same.

She gestures over to the ship's captain.

He too is showink the round bruises of the poisoning creature, whatever kind it was. I am no expert on such sea-thinks. I think that his head injury is better, but the poison, and the drownink...I do not know.

She shrugs.

So, if we do not want to leave them here, we will need to carry. Girl is light, elf is light. Maybe Sean and I take Irina, Graeme and skinny-boy - what is your name? - take elf. Madrigal and Tiresias take captain, who has one or two rolls of salt pork in his ass, yes? And Mister Golemmaker, he starts out, makes sure nothing jumps on us, eh? What do you say?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"Please, Madame Trotska, call me Heinrich. I have neither right nor desire to be called by my matronimic."

He looks at the forsaken elf.

"We elves do tend to be weaker in body than the other races, but I would ay our will to live is as strong as any. Perhaps more in the case of the forsaken. Those of their kind without a strong will to live have probably all perished by now."

He sighs.

"As much as I would prefer to be scouting, I'm afraid our little friend may be overburdened by carrying even the girl."

He turns his gaze to the halfling.

"Tell me, do you think you can handle the weight?"

13. - Top - End - #163

Might I suggest something, madame? Me and our steely friend both have the strength to lift one of the wounded alone, maybe two, but we need someone to be at the front to hold off possible attacks. So I'll carry the elf and the minstrel with Sean's help, and we can improvise a bedroll to allow you and Graeme to carry the captain comfortably. Would that be a good idea? Ty suggests as he walks to his tent to fold it up.

14. - Top - End - #164

Madrigal

"While I prefer to be the one in front, I will offer my services to carry someone. It matters not, as I have the strength," Lucas says, strapping his shield to his back. The tattered brown cloak he wears sways in the wind a little and he stoops down towards the bodies.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"It's not enough to carry them, Thy need to be carried in such a way tha twill not aggravate their injuries. Tossing them over your shoulder like a sack of grain would probably not be a good idea."

16. - Top - End - #166

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

"Heinrich is right, lads. These 'ere stripped saplings should be laid down o'er our bedrolls like this..." Graeme shows what he means as he speaks. "...an' then th' bedroll flipped o'er like this. See 'ow wit' th' flaps where th' injured weight'll keep it from slippin'. If'n we lash 'em wit' rope from th' boat, it'll be even sturdier. See?"

Graeme then looks at the patients and says, "If'n we put some rope ties to keep th' wounded in place, one o' ye could pull 'em behind ye by holdin' on 'ere and lettin' th' saplins drag behind ye. It'll leave a trail a blind kobold could follow, but tha' may not be too bad in case we wants tae find our way back 'ere."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

17. - Top - End - #167

Tiresias

Good idea. Hmm...perhaps we can prepare it to look as if some kind of ooze was moving? Most creatures find oozes uninteresting, so they won't follow us. Now, we need to determine WHO will drag them. Such a weight will make the carrier slow to react.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

The dwarf woman looks on with some guarded admiration at Graeme's skill at improvising travois.

I will draw one of them. I believe Madrigal has also been kind enough to offer. Do we have a third?

Gislana busies herself adapting a bedroll as Graeme has suggested.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

19. - Top - End - #169

Madrigal

Saying nothing, Lucas only nods the helm towards Gislana. "I will pull the captain, but I do not carry a bedroll. Might I borrow someone's?" he says, looking to those that have an extra.

20. - Top - End - #170

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Gislana

I will draw one of them. I believe Madrigal has also been kind enough to offer. Do we have a third?
    Graeme MacKelan

"Tha' would be me." Graeme finishes the busy work with practiced ease.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HellFencer View Post
    Madrigal

Saying nothing, Lucas only nods the helm towards Gislana. "I will pull the captain, but I do not carry a bedroll. Might I borrow someone's?" he says, looking to those that have an extra.
    The halfling finally reappears, hidden behind the almost completely dry (and only slightly sandy) bedroll he's carring - small sized, of course.
    "You can use mine - it's not like I haven't slept under the sky before.
    The fabric will be spread thinly... is it enough for one of the lighter woundeds, Graeme?"
    Currently playing as:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by WakkaWakka View Post
    "You can use mine - it's not like I haven't slept under the sky before.
    The fabric will be spread thinly... is it enough for one of the lighter woundeds, Graeme?"
    Graeme MacKellan

Graeme smiles and looks down at Sean and says, "Aye, lad, it would. Thank ye." A sparkle is in his eye as he looks at the halfling; to those wise in knowing relationships, it would seem that Graeme has taken quite a shine on the halfling. "'Elp me wit' this, would ye, son?"
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

23. - Top - End - #173

DwarfClericGuy

Mid-Morning, The First Corday of Belot

After a fashion, you manage to assemble litters and secure the ailing to it. With Heinrich in the lead, you head out, making your way toward the path. It takes you the better part of the morning to make the journey to the trail.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Setting her litter gently down for a moment as they reach the trail, she looks with only a modicum of interest at the pathway.

Mister Go- Heinrich, darlink. Can you tell if there is much traffic on this trail, and if the ones who use it are people, horses, or perhaps somethink more...exotic?

25. - Top - End - #175

PirateCaptain

Graeme MacKelan

Graeme chuckles a bit at Gislana's comment, "Ye ain't gonna find nothin' more exotic than us - I'd bet my beard on it. Even the gods 'ould ne'er dreamed this scenario." Graeme's chuckle is cut off as he realizes the folly in his words. "Mayhap th' gods did put us t'gether - if'n yer dreams ye 'ad are like any o' this, now 'ould be a right time tae speak up."
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

"I am no tracker, but I will see what I can find. As for my dreams, they resemble yours, Graeme."

search - (1d20+10)[18]
    Last edited by fendrin; 2007-12-15 at 05:45 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Sean

Graeme's words take their sweet time sinking in - but hit the halfling's worst button. His confusion is easy to spot, easier still to follow home, as he mumbles...
    "If the gods put us here... well, they could have made without the shipwrecking, the dying, and most of all the almost-but-not-quite dying!"
    It takes a few deep breaths, but he calms down - or at least tries to give the impression he has - "Oh, snap - maybe they did, and maybe not. We'll find out along with whatever crushed the ship, probably..."
    Currently playing as:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #178

DwarfClericGuy

Midday, The First Corday of Belot

As you break at midday and await the return og Heinrich, the sun comes from behind a cloud, adding a certain warmth to this otherwise forbidding and chill Spring day.

After a short wait, and seemingly without warning, Heinrich returns, being lead by a young human male, who is half-heartedly holding him at arrow-point, his bowstring not even drawn.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

Heinrich

Best disarm the situation before there's unnecessary bloodshed.

"Hey look what I found. Careful, he's a little skittish. Won't even tell me his name. Wants to take us to his Captain. I figure seeing we're looking for civilization, we might as well oblige him."

He is completely nonchalant about the arrow pointed at him.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Gislana

Taking her cue from Heinrich, Gislana is careful not to move her hands close to the sickle at her side, but smiles at the young man.

That is soundink perfect to me as well. If there is one think I have discovered in the military, it's that where there are officers, there are real beds.

She carefully lifts the travois back into position, and gets ready to follow.