New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Help Me Find Some Music (Please)

I'm not that into music. Even with my meager music selection, I can't tell you what's playing half the time without checking. And since I don't like buying CDs because I might not like most of it, virtually all of my music has come from a video game (since I've heard it before, I know if it's good). However, it's getting a little stale, and I was looking into freshening it up a bit.

I like:
    Rock.
    Music without lyrics.
    Music worthy of throwing up the horns.
    Anything that involves guitar over piano.
    Odd instrumental combinations.
    Anything that might be played in the background of an action scene in a movie, including Kung Fu movies.

For example, my favorite music to date has been the product of the Black Mages.

Anyone know of stuff like that?
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Alright, you've successfully hidden in a tree without the pack of Wyld-tainted tigers noticing you. What now?"
    Me: "Oh! I know! I'll use Sense Riding Technique to use one as a spy, so I can see if someone is controlling them at all."
    DM:"Alright. Did you have a specific tiger in mind?"
    Me: "I'll take the most normal looking one near me."
    DM: "Cool! You see nothing. This tiger has had its brain replaced with a brain-shaped cantaloupe."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Help Me Find Some Music (Please)

If you can find them, I used to like an instrumental group called "Sky".
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I highly recommend Telluride Sessions by Strength in Numbers. Beautiful music by virtuoso musicians.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telluride_Sessions

Also, while it is not just instrumental, Dire Straits is an awesome group and Mark Knopfler is made of pure awesome as a guitar player. Don't think I have ever heard a song of theirs that I didn't like.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_straits

I know you can find some songs by Dire Straits on youtube if you want to listen to some before you get a CD. You can also find Strength in Numbers on youtube (I just checked)
    Last edited by JDMSJR; 2007-11-29 at 03:30 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Liquid Tension Experiment (an instrumental project involving the guitarist and drummer of Dream Theater)
    The Shadows (not rock, really, but The Instrumental Band)
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateGirl

Well, I'm big into the power metal. but there isn't really a lot of instrumental stuff... Some of Sonata Arctica and Edguy's ballads have voice over guitar over piano...
    Come and fly away with me, and your eyes are gonna see it all...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you like real rock and roll with piano, give the New York Dolls a try. Not instrumental at all, but if you can resist throwing the horns randomly to an NYD song, you're a better man than I.
    Signature?! What!?

Awesome Commander Greven Il-Vec avatar by Threeshades.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

try these bands out Muse, Foo Fighters, Rage against the machine ( I mean comeon Tom Freakin' Morrello guys he's one of the Guitar Gods) then if you like Jam Bands which with you saying you like instrumentals or little bits of lyrics you cant go wrong with DMB (Dave Matthews Band) but if you are gonna download their stuff download their Live Music, because if you try to listen to anything but their live stuff you will be greatly dissappointed.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dea_al_Mon View Post
    Well, I'm big into the power metal. but there isn't really a lot of instrumental stuff... Some of Sonata Arctica and Edguy's ballads have voice over guitar over piano...
    Seconded. Good pick.

Also, on a different note, you might want to try the Dropkick Murphies. They play pretty good rock music, and their music often involves somewhat les conventional instruments, like flutes and bagpipes. Besides, some of their lyrics are funny as hell too.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    I like:
    Rock.
    Music without lyrics.

Anything that might be played in the background of an action scene in a movie, including Kung Fu movies.

Hmm. For those criteria I'd say Pelican. Try to find the single version of March Into the Sea, it's absolutely amazing (despite being 20 minutes long). I'd also recommend Do Make Say Think. It's not exactly \m/-worthy, but there are some pretty rockin' songs with diverse instrumentation.

For metal with odd instrumentation I'd also say Apocalyptica. No lyrics (usually). Try to find Inquisition Symphony.
    Last edited by Mephisto; 2007-12-02 at 02:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tor the Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow
    It'd be like shooting a baby in the head with a .44, would you give experience for that? Theres no threat, theres not even a challenge beyond hitting the baby.
    Roleplaying experience?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Music without lyrics.
    65daysofstatic
    One of the best instrumental bands around. Well some occasional lyrics, but it's never much, and it's often guest singers.

Retreat! Retreat!
    Don't Go Down to Sorrow
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Instrumental music that rocks with an odd choice of instruments and can be played over action scenes? Try Apocalyptica.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

A long time ago in a ... well, you get the idea.

As mentioned, LTE (liquid tension experiment) is pure win. Dream Theater in and of itself is my favorite group. You may enjoy the Instrumental half of Nightwish's 'Dark Passion Play'. It's their new release without Tarja =( It is a good release though.
    Funny, I always figured I'd be killed by a paladin.
    So, what you're saying is we rolled a 1 on our credit check?

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

You pretty much described Liquid Tension Experiment. The only problem is that they've only got two albums and aren't likely to produce more. LTE is a super group based on half of Dream Theater, so if you like LTE you're also likely to like DT. Jordan Rudess was also involved in the project and has some solo material that's similar, but not quite as good in my opinion.

Buckethead has some very solid material too. He varies a lot from CD to CD. There aren't lyrics in the traditional sense, but a lot of his songs have spoken word imposed over them.

For something slightly less metal, and a lot more acid trippy, try Ozric Tentacles. They're kinda like techno played on instruments.

If you get back to us with which suggestions you liked and which you didn't I'm sure we can offer up even more music.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto View Post
    Hmm. For those criteria I'd say Pelican. Try to find the single version of March Into the Sea, it's absolutely amazing (despite being 20 minutes long). I'd also recommend Do Make Say Think. It's not exactly \m/-worthy, but there are some pretty rockin' songs with diverse instrumentation.

For metal with odd instrumentation I'd also say Apocalyptica. No lyrics (usually). Try to find Inquisition Symphony.
    Pelican are awesome, i like them a lot. Took ages for my local record store to get their latest in on vinyl, but well worth the wait.

Also, if you like multi-instrumental oddness, i'd recommend uneXpect. www.myspace.com/unexpect

65DOS newest is really good aswell.
    i watched your heart turn black.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

You can't go wrong with Haggard... I think they've gotten up to like 20 some odd people in the band at a time, basically half symphony half death metal. It's interesting stuff.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

First off, learn about musical from a historical perspective (Starting probobly in the late fifties). iTunes can help you there. Once you start getting into late 60s, early 70s, your options really explode. I am very partial to Progressive Rock, like Yes and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, the latter with lots of instrumentals. Yes mainly uses nonesence lyrics, so I'm not sure if that counts. King Crimson is quite good, they have mainly metal. Of course, theres always Jimi Hendrix, but were all assuming you know about him. . Other instrumental bands and pieces that you might like are Rockit-Herby Hanckock (started modern hip-hop as we know it), Frankinstien-Edgar Winters (terrific song) Santana Partially instrumental, but still godlike music. Bolded for your convinience.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Action movie music, in the style of the Black Mages? How about two of my favorite Symphonic rock/Opera metal groups, (I know they're not the same genre, don't kill me) Trans-Siberian Orchestra and Nightwish. The former mainly does Christmas music and rock covers of classical works, the latter is a metal group that incorporates heavy amounts of orchestra. Great for action scenes. I listen them while playing video games with crappy music instead of the game's soundtrack.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I'm not that into music. Even with my meager music selection, I can't tell you what's playing half the time without checking. And since I don't like buying CDs because I might not like most of it, virtually all of my music has come from a video game (since I've heard it before, I know if it's good). However, it's getting a little stale, and I was looking into freshening it up a bit.

I like:
    Rock.
    Music without lyrics.

You might like some of the music tracks here, available for dowload:

Located
    Here/ is some remixed music from FFVII, fitting mostly the odd instrumental combinations, though I think there is a little guitar on piano in there somewhere (3 hours of music, been a while since i listened)
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Akirim.elfKickstarter Avatar by Savannah
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Star Wars canon is one of those things where people have started to realize that the guys in charge are so far off their rockers that it's probably for the best to ignore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post

OH GOD THEY'RE COMING! RUN! RUN, TURKISHPROVERB, RUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    GENERIC FLAMING COMMENT, POSSIBLY INVOLVING YOUR MOTHER !

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Ok ok ok, I can solve your problem.

Instead of looking for individual suggestions to look into, go to this website.

http://www.pandora.com/

Pandora Radio. You create an account, pick a song you like, and it starts playing other similar songs. You can register them as positive or negative so it can more accurately pick to your preferences. You can start multiple stations with different seed songs.

It is quite awesome.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'd go with AC/DC. It's a good hard rock band. If you want some good metal go for Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Metallica, or Virgin Steele (no doubt someone is going to disagree with me on these bands). Someone already mentioned Liquid Tension Experiment. I really liked it, so it's worth checking out.
    "Love takes up where knowledge leaves off."
    - St. Thomas Aquinas

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

PORCUPINE TREE!!
    Must check out this band!! Totally love this guys, i cant believe what they managed to put together. And if you like it, find the time to read about them in wikipedia, they have interesting beggenings, yo say the least

I dont know about that video, just listen to the song, its simply wonderful
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ARJRCcfY_A
    Last edited by Lucia; 2007-12-06 at 05:02 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Help Me Find Some Music (Please)

For more of a guitar based theme I'd Go with Kansas. Try: "Dust in the Wind" and "Carry on my Wayward Son". "Ghost Riders in the Sky" is okay, but the artist's name eldues me And of course, Famous bands and artists like Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin

good luck!
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"