New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Default Supers in Skyline [IC]

Its an ordinary, mildly cloudy day in Skyline, with the threat of rain in the suburbs. But, as we all know, nothing is ever simple in Skyline. And today, of all days, will be when we meet the heroes of our stories. Yes there are other heroes, more famous perhaps, maybe more powerful. But they aren't our heroes. Our heroes are here for their own reasons. And maybe hero isn't the best word for all of them. But I am the narrator, and this, this is Skyline City!
    Last edited by Fiery Justice; 2008-01-23 at 10:20 AM.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, human shields offering free cover.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Supers in Skyline [IC]

Sun Kim

Despite his name, Sun hates sunshine. Makes him feel too exposed, you know?

So he's walking down the street, hood up and hands in pockets as usual. Your average urchin, picking pockets, stealing from vendors, pilfering the coins from guitar cases...

Then he sees her. A thin woman barely taller than he was, traversing the street. Dark circles under her eyes, as though she hadn't had a good night's sleep in a while.

Heh...stupid lady must have had a bad hangover last night. Probably spent all her money on booze, but an easy mark's an easy mark...

Once the lady moves past him, he turns around and begins following her, hood still up and hands still in pockets. When he gets close he slides out a hand...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Avalon/Bryn

The woman turns when Sun gets into her 'personal space'. "Do you mind?" she asks, with a lilting British accent. "I know you Yanks have different ideas about how things are done, but you're a bit too close for comfort, if you get my drift." She steps back half a pace.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

James / Transmute

James was watching the whole thing from across the street. Looking around, he saw no one watching, and ducked quickly into an alley. With but a brief flash of thought, he formed his standard costume around himself from the air itself. It was mostly black, concealing everything but the area around his mouth, and made of an ultra-durable, flexible polymer. As one of Skyline's registered heroes, his costume was a frequent sight on the streets and rooftops. He stood back in the shadows of the alley, not wanting to jump the gun, but ready to react should he need to.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rand:

Rand slides into an empty garage, spying the small young man heading for the woman.

"Ugh... I hate doing my work in daytime."

He presses himself up against a wall, and slides his concealing gas mask on. He puts a hand on his machete, hidden under his leather jacket, and peeks over the side of the wall to watch.
    Last edited by deepsear; 2008-01-23 at 05:20 PM.
    Had I the cloths of heaven,
    I would spread these at your feet.
    But I am poor, and have only my dreams
    and I spread these beneath your feet.
    Tread softly, for you tread upon my dreams

Thanks to The_Squid for a perfect representation of my awesome scimitar/Town character, Deepsear!
    Awesome Agent 47 by Dr. Bath!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Sun Kim

Oh crap...

"Uh, what're you talking about lady? I wasn't doin' nothing."
    Sun quickly backs off and tries to walk away as though nothing happened.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Avalon/Bryn

"Just don't stand so close, boyo. That's all."
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Transmute

James sighed a little... Just another kid down on his luck. He could empathize. Without his powers or his family, he'd be in the same situation. Letting his costume fade back into his normal street clothing, he slipped out of the alleyway after making sure no one saw him. Walking up to Sun Kim, he slipped him a twenty.

Here you go, man... take it. Just try to find something better to do than snatching purses, yeah?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Adam Breckenridge

It is likely no one notices the bum sitting on a bench nearby, drinking from a bottle in a paper bag. However, Adam notices much with the help of his mind-sensing powers, including the still hidden watcher. He looks over at the would-be pickpocket and grins to himself.

Getting a little more than he bargained for, I'll wager...

Then his grin slowly turns to a frown. Something was wrong with this child...even just from his surface emotions Adam sensed a very disturbing level of hate.
    Witch Hunter Avatar by Dr. Bath
    FFRP:
    Jacob Morin
    Jason [Trinity]
    Alamar
    Hyde

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ernie MacCullogh/Murphy's Law

Perhaps the one person who does notice the bum on the bench is the bum on the sidewalk, currently pushing a shopping cart full of junk down the street (a very important homeless person activity), and picking up other bits of stuff as he goes.

Seeing Adam, he stops his cart next to the bench, and plops down on it. He reaches into one of his trenchcoats, pulls out a small, silvery flask, and takes a long pull from it. "Stinks, doesn't it?"
    I cannot actually think of anything witty to say here.

Proud owner of a Gorbatar

Important 9-11 information
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Uncle_Doug View Post
    Wizard: "I move the rock with the power of magic!"
    Psionicist: "I move the rock with the power of my mind!"
    Shadowcaster: "I move the rock with the power of Shadow!"
    Truenamer: "Asknsdfksdfhasdjfhsn!" *rolls a 5* "Blast! Not again."

Trophy Case
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

"I live with it. Could be worse."

There's more resigned acceptance than optimism in his voice as he glances over at Ernie. Adam doesn't comment on the attire, as he's seen much stranger in his years as a bum. Soon his gaze returns to Sun Kim, the troubled look returning.

"Something wrong with that kid..." He mutters to himself.
    Last edited by Warpfire; 2008-01-23 at 08:22 PM.
    FFRP:
    Jacob Morin
    Jason [Trinity]
    Alamar
    Hyde

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ernie

"Y'mean besides th'fact that he's doin' it all wrong? Yeh don't just walk up t'them like that... not that I could ever get it t'work fer me. Not much does." says Ernie, in a thick New York accent.

He takes another pull from the flask, screws on the cap, and puts it back in his pocket. He pauses a moment, his hand still in his coat, and a puzzled look comes across his face. He pulls his hand out, entangled in a large, tangled mess of wires. Bits of metal inside the wires hint at technology of some sort. Shrugging, he shakes it off his hand, and tosses it in the cart.

"So anyways... I'm Ernie. You?"
    I cannot actually think of anything witty to say here.

Proud owner of a Gorbatar

Important 9-11 information
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Uncle_Doug View Post
    Wizard: "I move the rock with the power of magic!"
    Psionicist: "I move the rock with the power of my mind!"
    Shadowcaster: "I move the rock with the power of Shadow!"
    Truenamer: "Asknsdfksdfhasdjfhsn!" *rolls a 5* "Blast! Not again."

Trophy Case
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Laura

Laura glanced up at the newspaper building, its windows reflecting the sunshine. The Horizon—god, what a name for a paper in a city named Skyline. Somebody had a truly terrible sense of humor. Still, the building looked prosperous and well-maintained. In fact, she'd have preferred a rickety wooden building to the skyscraperesque, five-story building in front of her—it looked like an office building full of cubicles, which was probably an accurate description—but they were all like that these days. It'd do.

Shouldering her purse, she entered the foyer, removing her sunglasses—it was well-lit in here, but not that well-lit—and walked confidently up to the receptionist. "Laura Coleridge," she introduced herself before the secretary asked how she could help her. "Here to talk to John Amberton?"

The receptionist tapped a few keys on her computer. "Oh yes, he's expecting you. Third floor, first room to the left of the stairwell." She smiles. "Welcome to the Skyline Horizon, Ms. Coleridge."

"Thank you." Laura politely avoids commenting on the paper's name, and headed for the stairs. It was only two stories, they'd be faster than the elevator.

John Amberton proved to be an angular, tallish man sitting behind a desk, which was clean by her standards—a large computer, plus the little knick-knacks that seemed to pop up on desks everywhere. He rose to shake her hand. "Coleridge, right? John Amberton, editor. How're you settling in?"

"Pretty well, thanks," she replied, taking the hand.

"Right, well, down to business," he said, settling himself behind his desk again. All he needed, she thought with wry humor, was a cigar to complete the image of a brisk editor. That and a desk full of paper, but that was uncommon nowadays. "Welcome to the Horizon. The salary we settled on's a starter, you'll be looking at a raise every few months to every few years, depending on how productive you are and how well you get received. We'll put you on editorials after a while to try to gauge that. How's it sound?"

"Not bad enough to pay for another plane ticket home for," she said dryly. "That'll be fine."

"Good. You're a floor down, fifth door. 215. We've got the bare bones for you there already. You use a laptop?"

"No. When I need to type, I'll do it in the office."

"Hmmm. Well, you should have what you need to get started down there. Take today to familiarize yourself with the place, tomorrow you're taking unpaid vacation if you're not working. You'll be helping with the local news—the police beat and SLEA stuff, mostly. Popular."

"That's right, you syndicate your heroes over here, don't you?"

"That's right, Miss Coleridge. Anything else, ask someone or come see me." He didn't rise to see her out, which was fine with her. There was such a thing as overpoliteness, although it was not something she thought would be a problem in America.

She headed down to investigate her new office. Meeting the other workers could come later.
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2008-01-24 at 05:45 AM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Sun Kim

Huh...guess she wasn't so drunk after all...

He almost ran smack into the burly young man in front of him, offering what was practically a million dollars.

"Here you go, man... take it. Just try to find something better to do than snatching purses, yeah?"

Sun stared at the twenty dollars in front of him, his mind suddenly working overtime.

What?! What the hell does he think I am? Screw you, buddy!

But still, a twenty...that's like, five WackyFun Burgers...and fries! Ooh!

"Um...uh, th-thanks. Mister."

Had Sun not been so agitated by the situation, he might have...smelled something funny about the fellow.

He glanced over across the street to a pair of bums reclining on a bench, presumably chatting about their miserable lives. Sun was about to sneer when...

Hey...is that guy staring at me?
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2008-01-24 at 09:23 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Avalon/Bryn

Shrugging off the encounter with the peculiar kid, the woman approaches the other man on the street (James, not the seated bums). "Pardon me, but do you happen to know where the," She fishes a note out of a pocket, "Omberlen Employment Offices are?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Horizon Building, Room 215
    The room is clean enough with a desk, a table top computer that looks like its four years old. It looks nice enough, beside the equipment, there's a file holder, a printer that is a fair share newer then the computer. There are a couple of folders on the table, as well as what appears to be a welcoming basket.

There's a window but its not very big, but there may be a good reason for that given what you've heard about this town. And its superheroic incidents. And supervillainy.

(If she bothers to look at the Welcome Basket it says, "From the Staff, hope you enjoy your time here"

There are four files, each with a potential story:
    The retirement of a group of SLEA supers known as the Spectacular Six who worked in this territory for the past nine years.

A recent breakout by the super criminal The Pale has led to questions on the validity of the Skyline Power Containment Area which houses most local supervillains.

A Tribune is coming in to do a final check for the death penalty of former criminal leader Caleb Mitchelson. Tribunes are groups of three telepaths who check the guilt of any murder accused.

There's also a story on an extraterestial incident in the southern part of the city, where a strange bug like creature emerged from a pod that landed there a couple of hours ago.

You can investigate any of them if you like.)
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer, human shields offering free cover.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

James

James gave a friendly smile, looking at the woman for a moment, then nodding.

Sure, I'm out of classes for the day, got nothing to do... be happy to show you around. Name's Jame's by the way. He extended his hand You new to the city, Miss...?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Avalon/Bryn

"Oh, uh, Llewelyn. Bryn's my first name. That's probably easier." She takes his hand with one of her own, a tattoo of a celtic cross briefly visible on her palm. "Just arrived yesterday, found a hotel. Looking for work. You know of anything?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

James

James scratches the back of his head, eyes looking upward as he thinks. As he does so, he begins to walk, gesturing for her to follow. Not off the top of my head... what kind of field are you looking for work in?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

A nearby billboard reads:

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE ASSOCIATES
    Bringing you into the future

Now hiring, various positions

An Equal Opportunity Employer

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Avalon/Bryn

"Anything really. I'd be best at mechanic or translation work. I suppose I could serve as a bodyguard or police force, perhaps. I spent time in Her Majesty's Navy. But I'll take almost anything. As long as it's legitimate."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rand

Ian sighs, and drops his hand from the machete. Sliding down the wall to sit against it, he drops his head back and sighs. Before any bewildered homeowner finds an armed man sitting in his garage, he stands, puts away his gas-mask, and walks outside. His sigh levels on the woman who he was almost sure was going to be robbed, and the troubled-looking youth who had almost committed the crime. Seeing another man talking to her, he decides to follow the young man as discreetly as possible, to make sure he doesn't try anything else. Maybe, also, to have a word with him.

Shifting his belt, he starts after the lad.

Thanks to The_Squid for a perfect representation of my awesome scimitar/Town character, Deepsear!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Adam looks away a few moments after Sun notices him, turning back to reply.

"That isn't exactly what I was talking about...but anyway, my name's Adam. Pleasure to meet you and all that." He raises an eyebrow at the mass of wires. "What was that?"

In the meantime, he remains mentally focused on Sun. He sends a wave of apathy towards him that aims to help him dismiss Adam as nothing more than some crazy hobo.
    FFRP:
    Jacob Morin
    Jason [Trinity]
    Alamar
    Hyde

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Sun Kim

Huh...coulda sworn that bum was looking at me. Whatever...

Time to get me some Wackyfun burgers!

And so he heads off the restaurant a few blocks away, completely unaware of the formerly masked and armed man tailing him.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

James

James nodded thoughtfully. He wished he could be more help, but truthfully, he'd never had the need to hold down a job, due to his powers, and it wasn't something he was experienced with. Still, she seemed a nice girl, and he knew how it was to be alone in the big city.

So, where are you from originally? And why'd you decide to come here?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rand

As he follows the young man at a leisurely pace, he nods at the man and the woman talking on the street, simultaneously giving the traditional Texan two-finger wave. He places his hand in his jacket, checking his meager equipment.

Gas mask? Check. Pistol? Check. Machete? Check. Ah, who am I kidding? This kid's probably just some poor rat. I'm gonna make sure though...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Avalon/Bryn

"Wales," she says with a dreamy sort of smile. "Lovely sort of place." She shrugs at the second question. "Seems as good a place as any. Had a bit of an incident on the last ship I sailed on. Inland seemed a good place to go. You been here long?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

James

James nodded as he walked along. A couple of years. Came up from the south to attend the university. They've got a good engineering program He gave a wry sort of smile Just to warn you, though, it's an odd sort of place. Kind of a wierdness magnet. Draws a lot of metahumans.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Sun Kim

Mmm, burgers...

But something doesn't feel right...

Hey...is someone following me? He sends a glance backwards...
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2008-01-25 at 05:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Avalon/Bryn

"Metahumans? Do you know many yourself?" she asks, doing her best to appear only casually interested.