New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Exclamation The world's largest dungeon

Millenia ago, the celestials built a great dungeon in the mountains.Within it they erected mammoth walls, locks , doors and traps. It warded off those who would enter, but also walled in those who would escape.It was a dungeon larger than anything ever known.Within it, the celestials imprisoned hellish undead, demonic beasts and fiendish monstrosities.
    It was a perfect construction.Perfect in every detail,it would stand inviolate for thousand of years.But none can say why the gods ordered demons and liches to be entombed and not destroyed.Years later, the gods would regret their mercy.
    A couple of weeks ago, a powerful earthqueake shook the ground, and the whole region near the mountain was suddenly covered by a misterios dark aura. Peasants talk about a large group of kobolds, troglodites, orcs and an ogre led by a wererat sorcerer that were headed up the mountain a couple of days before the earthquake. The Holy order has decided to send someone to investigate. You are the ones they chose.

OOC thread
    Last edited by Bayar; 2007-12-05 at 09:51 AM.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

2. - Top - End - #2

Kobold

Default Re: The world's largest dungeon

Your travel guide is a human farmer in his early 50's, complaining about the problems of common life, taxes, hard work and locust swarms that invaded his patch of land.
    As you climb the mountain, the presence of evil seems omnipresent.As thought a zombie is stalking you from every tree.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Deran

Deran smiles at the man, walking with his spear as a staff. He turns to the man and cuts him off.

Perhaps what's wrong for you sir is that you need to set out on the right path. The time for the Journey comes differently to each person, perhaps it is time for yours. Set out and make do with what life hands you. Set out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

"Crazy Old Coot."

Coming from a man more than twenty years Deran's senior, draped with bells and whistles that jingled as he walked and stared intently at a chunk of rock, this statement seemed rather... hypocritical.

James wasn't the stablest of folks, not by a long shot. His watery blue eyes darted back and forth intently, but from the way the seemed to glaze over details as he stumbled and ambled you're forced to wonder if he was actually seeing anything.

But he was, oh he was... James' torment came from beyond the world of the material, the visible, and maybe even the real. This is especially apparent when he starts and jumps at nothing at all, glaring into the ether.

"Let the man trot, yor a walker ain'tcha? Reeky ligus types. Get out the way. Get out the way."

Speaking to, or listening to for that matter, James was a trial all in itself. His voice wandered and meandered across nations and times like a drunken hobo in Frankfurt.
    Last edited by SeekerInTheNight; 2007-12-06 at 02:36 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Argal

Shuss preacher man! We do what we like! I like walking, move!

Argal may not be the sharpest tool in the box and he may have a penchant for seeing the world through slightly simple eyes, but sometimes it is these eyes that put everything else in perspective for others.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Tolsimir

Tolsimir walked a bit distanced from the others, gazing off and seemingly disconnected from the rest of the world. he suddenly noticed argal talking and says "Shut up you stupid halfbreed." he looked at him from above, he looks at everyone from above, not a wonder with him being as tall as a man and a half. "This place is a nightmare. not fights, no blood, only damn rocks."

He suddenly gazes off, not really sure what on. simply gazing, again disconnected from the world around him. he is really bored here, he needs a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

"I not stupid! I good clever for a half-breed! Not enjoying the company of the knight, Argal turns to rejoin Deran but not before uttering; Blood not always good. I think you don't like you're blood on my blade.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Deran

Smiling wistfully at the arguments he continues on.

See my good man. If you set out on the Journey you could find yourself with such wonderful accompaniment as these men.

9. - Top - End - #9

Kobold

The farmer

Just like at the local tavern.Adventuring is no longer for me.But I could just move with my family...in a town near Sharn...they usually need help at the fields.
    Last edited by Bayar; 2007-12-06 at 08:34 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Argal looks at the farmer rather blankly; I like taverns.

11. - Top - End - #11

Kobold

.....As you climb the mountain, rocks and debris slow down your ascent.Numerous tracs of different creatures ascend the hillside.the climb levels off as you get closer to the cave mouth. You see a man the size of a galleon lying on the ground at the cave opening. As you get closer, you can see that death has taken him.Despite his obviously descomposed state, the man does not exude the oder of decay.
    ..... There are no signs of struggle.Who was he and how did he died? You can see that he is wearing a chain shirt and beside him lies a gargantuan halberd.
    ..... Beyond the body is a single cave that winds down into the earth.
    Last edited by Bayar; 2007-12-06 at 09:57 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Tolsimir

"Well. aint this a bitch?" says tolsimir as he kicks the dead guy, chopping off his head jest in case. ((I played too much Half-Life 2. every dead body needs to be decapitated if you dislike zombies.)) "Lets move into the cave and see whats going on."

((A giant I assume? after all even I'm not THAT big.))
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2007-12-06 at 10:02 AM.

2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

13. - Top - End - #13

AssassinGuy

Treygar

Moving along at a comical half trot, half run, you hear from somewhere near the back of the line,Oye, lets not be talkin' bout taverns now. You'll be makin me thirsty!

Upon seeing the body of the dead giant Treygar's face scrunches up into a frown. Looking down at it he mutters a few curses in dwarven and spits on the body.
    Last edited by iceman; 2007-12-06 at 10:07 AM.
    When we drink we get drunk,
    when we're drunk we pass out,
    when we're asleep we commit no sin,
    when we commit no sin we go to heaven,
    ... So lets all get drunk and go to Heaven!
    -Brian O'Rouke

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

The Tall, dark skinned orc, dressed in thick leathers and hide moves to the cave entrance, He is mostly bald, spare the long ponytail at the back of his head.

He talks with a canny vocabulary that seems unusual for an full-bred orc.

"Whatever did this is going to be inside, we must be prepared." he kneels down to the floor and takes a closer look at the tracks.

Survival check to discern anything useful, from the tracks (eg. Who, what, how many, what direction, ect.)
    (1d20+4)[6]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

OldWizardGuy

Deran

Deran walks up to the corpse and nods.

For all the Journey must come to an end. May you passage across The Last River be s journey of it's own.

Turning to face the cave again, he continues walking inside.

16. - Top - End - #16

Kobold

Tolsimir attempts to hack the Titan's neck but finds out that it would take FAR too much time to be worth anything...since he discovers that it actually is dead.
    Dribble can see that the cave is low and shallow, obviously dug by small crude hands.Many footprints mark the dirt, and debris litter every corner.In the back of the cave, a narrow tunnel, poorly lit, leads deeper.

The farmer:
    Well, here is where our paths diverge.I wish you good luck on your task.May Pelor's light guide you through these dark paths.With that, he departs down the mountain, the same way you came.
    Last edited by Bayar; 2007-12-06 at 10:57 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Garret

Observing his surroundings with some misgivings (oh how he wishes the farmer would stop complaining), Garret sees the giant and makes a mental note of it.

We may need to take some care here... whatever felled this... thing... may still be around, and I for one would not like to meet it.

He then follows Deran into the cave, if only to get into a cozier environment than this wretched mountain path.
    Last edited by Godeler; 2007-12-06 at 11:04 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Kobold

Going into the tunnel, you can see that it winds into the mountain, it's ceiling some 6 feet high and 5 feet wide at the widest. After about 100 feet or so, the tunnel opens into a larger room, cut from stone and built, rather than dug.It is obvious that someting lives here.

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

As Treygar steps through the opening into the cave beyond he says,Weell whatever killed that giant is probably long gone by now. Or at least we should hope so.

Treygar will strap on his shield at this point, and though his weapon is still "sheathed" his hand is close by it. Just in case.
    -Brian O'Rouke

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Tolsimir

Tolsimir quickly goes into the room, cursing the tunnel's low ceiling.
    As he enters the room he takes a quick look to see if anything is around, but not with great care.

Spot: (1d20-5)[-2]

edit: Only now i understand how pathetic are my rolls.
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2007-12-06 at 11:49 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Garret follows behind Deran, looking about for anything unusual.

Not that I don't believe you, but how can you think the giant killer is gone? Pure optimism?

Spot: (1d20+7)[18]

22. - Top - End - #22

Kobold

You exit the dark and yes, dank, narrow passagewayto emerge onto a worked stone floor.Looking about, you see that you have entered a large square chamber hewn completely from stone.You notice two iron doors, one to your side and the other in front of you. Otherwise there are no other features of interest in the stone.

DM: OOC thread for a little advice.
    Last edited by Bayar; 2007-12-06 at 12:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Algar looks around and upon noticing the 2 doors says matter of factly; "Those doors go somewhere, lets go. He steps forward but then falters as he realises he doesn't know where to go, then looks back to the entrance and says; "I wants the big mans blade.

Realising no one will let him get the giant's weapon, Algar sits down with his halberd on his lap and sulkily sharpens the blade.
    Last edited by JettWilderbeast; 2007-12-06 at 12:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Kobold

The room looks like this:

advice
    Last edited by Bayar; 2007-12-06 at 12:12 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

AssassinGuy

In response to Garret Optimism? Aye. Othe'wise I get the feeling this could be a very short trip!
    -Brian O'Rouke

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Garret eyes the dimwitted Argal with mocking contempt.

Really? And how do you plan to use it? It's more than five times my size... Are you compensating for something?

Grinning at his sly retort, Garret took out his crossbow and loaded it. SOME one here should be preparing for the worst, not fixating over very long polearms.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Argal stares at Garret like he is stupid and boldly declares"I know its too big! I cut the head off and stick on my small pole. It would be great for crushing small people.

Amused with his joke Argal carries on sharpening his weapon while humming a little ditty about orc ladies to himself.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Garret tires of this little game with the half-orc. He'll figure it out eventually, even if it does take him a very long time. For now, Garret may as well play along and watch Argal's attempt to get his "blade." That'll at least be good for a laugh.

You can try... but that halberd looked like it was pretty strong. Too strong for you just yet, even if you do throw a tantrum.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Tolsimir

"lets get it on!"
    says tolsimir with pure joy as he take out his sword and fix his shield "I bet there are dozens of little goblins in there waiting for us to kill them."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Argal looks at Garret in amazement; "You'll come with Argal to get his blade? You real friend! We gonna be real good friends mister pixie thief!