New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Frank Miller's batman

Hello, Just a quick question really.

Most of you will have heard of the quote "I'm the godd*mn Batman" but I can't seem to find which comic its from. I know its one of Frank Millers but I don't know which one.

Any of you able to help?

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Frank Miller's batman

I do belive it is from All Star Batman & robin. One of the biggst train wrecks of a comic that I have read in a long time.

At least it is pretty.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

All Star Batman and Robin #2

Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Thanks for the help guys

5. - Top - End - #5

The Goddamn Batman is frankly one of the greatest things to come out in a long while. At a first glance it seems insane, but when you get deeper into the vortex of insanity it becomes genius. I am not sure if it is a deliberate parody or if Frank Miller has gone off the deep end for real, but the end result is different, it is marvelous, it's deconstructing the superhero genre and to top that all it's more entertaining than, hm, well, most things. A different take on things.
    Werner Herzog Zwei

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Did we need another deconstruction of the superhero genre? Haven't we already travelled this road a dozen times before? I don't like this series. It doesn't even make sense from a storytelling perspective — why is the Batman 'drafting' Robin into his war if he so clearly hates the kid?

7. - Top - End - #7

Well, I think Miller is deconstructing it again. He's taking the hammer and crowbar to the dark stuff created by his own Dark Knight, Moore's Watchmen and...

Ah, who am I trying to kid? I just enjoy the Goddamn Batman cause it's so entertaning to follow the insanity of Bats, the piss-taking of the more straight DC heroes, the violence, the sex at the docks (with MASKS on, cause it makes it BETTER), the cursing, the Jim Lee art. It's just hands down the best oddbal entertainment in a while.

Altough he did manage to put a couple of points of real insight into the last issue. "Lose the hood, you are Robin." was actually proper-great.
    Werner Herzog Zwei

8. - Top - End - #8

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil
    Did we need another deconstruction of the superhero genre?
    Probably not but I understand why DC did it with how well it did for Marvel. I also think how they are doing it is not that bad either. As from what I understand they are supposed to be one self contained story and not supposed to just go on like most of the Ultimate’s lines.

Quote Originally Posted by W Herzog Zwei
    Well, I think Miller is deconstructing it again. He's taking the hammer and crowbar to the dark stuff created by his own Dark Knight, Moore's Watchmen and...
    I think Frank Miller has gone off the deep end and just forgot how to write good stories. It has been that was ever since The dark knight strikes back or whatever it was called but at least that one had internal consistency. This new one is just absolute crap. Half the time what’s happing doesn’t make since and most of the dialogue is just corny. At first the art sort of made up for it but that has long passed. Never mind that they cannot seem to keep a regular print schedule.

It is kinda funny that it seems that All Star Superman is from what I understand is the exact opposite with really good writing but horrible, horrible art. Why anyone thinks that Quietly can draw is beyond me.

9. - Top - End - #9

Oh, don't get me wrong. I don't think Miller's writing in the Goddamn Batman is good on any objective level (if it's deliberate parody it's a bit forced, but if it's just old Frank gone nuts, it is just old Frank gone nuts). But on a completely subjective level, I am entertained for some reason. Cheap laughs at the expense of superheroes.

Ps. Quitely is an acquired taste for sure (and it's only his human figures that look messed up - the dude can do great backgrounds and animals (see We3)), but one should not steer away from All-Star Superman because of him. Morrison's stories really make up for the art (if you don't like the art, that is) - I'm not a big fan of Superman and I really ain't a fan of silver-age style Superman stories. But Morrison is able to put it togehter so well that even I must just lean back and be awed by the writing. AND it has Jimmy Olsen in tehcnicolor coat.
    Werner Herzog Zwei

10. - Top - End - #10

Lizardfolk

I will agree that there is some cheap laughs however I don't think they are intended as such.

Oh there were a few reasons why I never picked up All Star Superman. Frank was just one of them. I can get around art I have the Earth 2 trade as well as completely enjoy the issues of Authority that he did. When it boils down I have never really been a big fan of Superman so that is strike one and also I am not a huge fan of Grant Morrison. His stuff is very hit or miss for me. I really did not like what he did with X-men as a whole. There was some good stuff in there but for me not a lot. I did like the aforementioned earth 2 as well as the Fantastic Four stuff he did. Also as a whole I am not a big DC fan in general. I get some stuff but not a lot.

Although Jimmy in a technicolor coat does sound interesting.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Are you saying we should file this under "So bad it's good," Werner? 'Cause that I'm willing to agree on. As a serious work it's godawful, but as trash it's sublime.

12. - Top - End - #12

Lizardfolk

I can not in all that is holy say that it is good.

Its pretty so very pretty but good? No.