New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default You won't have heard of it...

If this thread exists, I can't find it. So, do you have any film/game/band/song/series/book/something else that you know, but no one else seems to? It can both be a source of pride and annoyance when no one else has heard of it/them, so reveal your 'cult' find here!

Mine
    Band: Mr. Scuff, Lemonjelly.
    Book: Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective agency by Douglas Adams
    TV Series: Armando Innuchi's Time Trumpet

Feel free to tell people 'I know of them too!'. That's kinda the point.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: You won't have heard of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    If this thread exists, I can't find it. So, do you have any film/game/band/song/series/book/something else that you know, but no one else seems to? It can both be a source of pride and annoyance when no one else has heard of it/them, so reveal your 'cult' find here!

Mine

Feel free to tell people 'I know of them too!'. That's kinda the point.
    The Dirk Gently books are great! We've heard of them too Dr. Bath!
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I hate that comedian. He just isn't funny and his attempts at satire just make him look stupid.

I suppose Dirk Gently is obscure if it's compared to Hitch Hikers.

Artist: Martyn Bennett. Young Scottish folk performer who did a few albums of world music before dying of cancer. Anyone who puts Shamanic Chanting, Scottish Poetry about Zombies and inacurate Irish Stereotypes on 1 album deserves slightly more recognition.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Movie : El Topo.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I've read the books, and seen that series (it wasn't as good as I had hoped though), but I've never heard of those bands.
    Dr. Manhattan+tiny Rorshach Avatar by drKarling, much appreciated.
    The Deductive Adventures of Rex Kingdom, P.I. is an awful parody detective serial.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
    Movie : El Topo.
    Haven't seen it but I bought a copy for my dad last year.

Band: Two Siberians. It's amazing how much sound can be produced by the combination of an acoustic guitar and an electric violin.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Band: The Jungle Brothers. Thoughtful rap with no profanity or misogynistic lyrics? No wonder no one's ever heard of them. A real shame, because they're really good.

Comic book: The Elementals, by Comico. Great late 80's comic book about four undead superheros on a mission from god to stop Lazurus from destroying the world. Funny, thrilling and horrific, often in the same issue.
    You say "Cheesy" like it's a bad thing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Lemonjelly.
    THEY DID THE SHOUTY SONG, RIGHT?!
    Loved that book. Wish he'd finished The Salmon of Doubt...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Dirk Gently not very well known? What are you -- nuts? It's so well-known and such a brand that Radio 4 just finished serialising it as a drama series, starring Harry Enfield as Dirk Gently.

10. - Top - End - #10

Saying that, I've just remember that this is a US message board -- I've got too used to posting on a UK one, obviously. I can believe that something incredibly popular in the UK is pretty much unknown in the US. Like Jonny Wilkinson, or something.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

You are not alone in having read Dirk Gentley's. And yes, it IS obscure. But hey, that's what we read it for.
    A Band no one has ever heard of is Summoning. I really like these guys, and also the music they make (of course). This is probably furthered by the fact that because of the style of music they make (synthesizer sounds + harsh voacls, their songs are quite long, with 5-10 minutes playtime) they themselves said they will never go on tour, because it would just be boring.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Ianucci went downhill after Chris Morris became too controversial to show on TV ...

13. - Top - End - #13

Read Dirk Gently =P. Fenris (Fenrir) was in the fridge, I have no doubt of that.

TV series: It's a cartoon, but does anyone else in the known universe remember project G.E.E.K.E.R? It's the one with the lady with the cybernetic arm, a t-rex with a baseball cap named Noah and the hitman in the smiley face helmet.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

What planet do you live on where most people haven't heard of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency? I wouldn't call it one of Douglas Adams' most famous books, but I never met anyone who hadn't at least heard of it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Gunstar Heroes, Einhander (games), Last Days of Foxhound (webcomic), the Mouse Butcher (children's novel). Any of those ring a bell?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Movie: Time Bandits. Just awesome. I giggled a bunch at the end.

Book: The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear. I don't know what the author was smoking, but I want some.

Band: I know that Procol Harum isn't really "obscure", but I don't really know anyone who is a "fan."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

band: the four post men
    all five of them are my heros

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nobody here has read anything ever. Whenever I get excited about somebody, no one within a hundred-mile radius has the slightest bit of interest. I understand that most Americans won't have read the classics or the foreign novels I like, even if they've been translated, so I won't complain that nobody goes around reading Jean Genet or Vladimir Sorokin, only no one's read the modern English-language stuff I like, either. Burroughs. Ferlinghetti. Saul Williams. Jeremy Reed. Henry Miller. J.G. Ballard. Nabokov's more obscure novels (The Eye is superior to pretty much everything he ever wrote, excepting Pale Fire, which wasn't a novel so much as a miracle). Then all the queer lit - Dennis Cooper, Bruce Benderson, Slava Mogutin, et cetera, et cetera.

Americans aren't very well-read. Perhaps it has something to do with your books costing five times more than Russian books at minimum. I can't be spending twenty of your American dollars on a single book!

I have the same problem with movies, but only because I insist on watching, like, inscrutable art films from the seventies that you can only buy off some Dutch guy out of the back of a van.
    Click here for whining.

Click here for kitten.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Meh, I usually get blank looks about things I've read or seen that I thought were fairly mainstream. Examples - Better Off Dead with John Cusack is one of my favorites. Outside of me and my brother and people I make watch it, no one seems to remember this one. Also The King's Blades and King's Daggers books by David Duncan. I picked them up at a Barnes & Noble or some such, not some hole in the wall esoteric bookstore, but still no one ever knows them save me and those I make read them.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Pacifist View Post

Book: The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Bluebear. I don't know what the author was smoking, but I want some.
    Moers is awesome. You should read his other books, he's written about half a dozen set on Zamonia.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Time Bandits is one of my all-time favorites.

As for musicians, I like Snog. He's a really clever songwriter.

22. - Top - End - #22

DrowGirl

Twelfth Night. Their Album "Live at the Target" frigging rocks. Amazing instrumentals.

Anyone heard of Stevie Nicks? She's got some cool albums as well.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Moers is awesome. You should read his other books, he's written about half a dozen set on Zamonia.
    Actually there are 5 books about Zamonia out in Germany at the moment. Oh, and one where Moers was inspired by pictures of Gustav Dore, which also has an awesome story, although a bit darker than even Rumo of the Zamonia books.

And does anyone apart of me know the books of the Swedish author Mikael Niemi? He is just incredibly good, but I think he hasn't been translated to English just yet. But I think at least in french and german, books of him exist.

And before I forget it, as a film: "Night on Earth" by Jim Jarmusch.
    Last edited by Smeik; 2007-12-07 at 09:14 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

In Meinem Kopf ist eine Bombe!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Anyone heard of Stevie Nicks? She's got some cool albums as well.

Stevie Nicks isn't really an unknown, but she's better known as a member of Fleetwood Mac. ;)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Books: Don't really have any unknowns - every time I read something that's relatively unknown, it suddenly hits the spotlight. For instance, Richard Matheson is pretty unknown outside of a small segment of society (i.e., those people that read old horror stories). But now, I Am Legend is being made into a movie (that'll probably rape the original novella, but I'll withhold judgment until I've seen it) and I'm sure everyone'll know about him soon. Oh, or here's one - Harry Potter. I started reading the series after the first book was published in the U.S. I don't recall meeting anyone else who'd read them until around the time of the 4th book or even the movies. Also, I love the stuff by Richard Bach that isn't Jonathan Livingstone Seagull (such as Illusions: Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah). Also, I've never met anyone else that knows Christopher Moore, author of such gems as Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.

Movies: For the longest time, I think I was the only one in all of North Carolina that had seen "The Seven Samurai." That's probably not true, but I'd say that most people have never heard of it (even if they've seen the movie based on it, "The Magnificent Seven). Also, "Bubba Ho-Tep." I think only about 3 of us have ever seen it.

TV: I've had some roughly luck here - most of the TV shows I watch tend to be less known, and usually get cancelled. Of the ones that are still around, probably my favorite is Dexter. I'll admit, several people have heard of it, but I don't know how many people watch a Showtime series about a serial killer who kills just bad people. (It sound hokey, but it's really great.)

Music: Let's face it - I listen to a lot of weird stuff. For instance, Chuck Mangione. He's probably the greatest flugelhorn player ever, but people only seem to know him because of the TV show "King of Hill. (And apparently, Firefox's spell-checker won't even admit that a flugelhorn is a real thing.) Also, no one in the area knows any of the Irish and German groups I like (hooray Dubliners and Eisbrecher!), or one of my favorite bands, Carbon Leaf.
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Mine:

Books: Hugh Laurie's "The Gun Seller"; the Fu Manchu novels of Sax Rohmer; "the Damned" trilogy by Alan Dean Foster
    TV: Black Books; Spaced (both BBC shows from a few years ago)
    Movies: the Descent; Without a Clue; the In-Laws (original version)

Probably more stuff that I'm blanking on at the moment...
    Last edited by mwp1138; 2007-12-07 at 09:30 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

The Descent is one of the best horror movies ever made.

28. - Top - End - #28

heh...wow...with the exception of zeb's...and that's only cause he's made me watch his, i haven't heard of anything in this thread.

My favorite book series few people have heard of or read. Cept Shiny, yay for Shiny. Kushiel's Legacy by Jaqueline Carey

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darken Rahl View Post
    The Descent is one of the best horror movies ever made.
    Wait, are you talking about the film "The Descent" that came out earlier this year? I thought that was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

And I was expecting molemen, and didn't even get any of those!
    The Playgrounder Formerly Known as rtg0922

Homebrew:
    "Themes of Ansalon" - A 4E Dragonlance Supplement
    Homebrew Compendium

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

You know this thing called a shamisen, right? The Japanese three-string instrument? Well, turns out there's these two brothers who play rock with them. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: The Yoshida Brothers.