New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Villains and Monsters III ((IC))

Chelion

With an impassive face, Chelion turns to address Bettrin.. "Of course. I naturally would ensure your treasures survived... But if we could somehow block up the pipes which drain the area the were rats live in... that would merely increase the water levels, without increasing the flow of water. Your treasures would remain... safe. An added advantage would, of course, be that you would get them back sooner rather than later."

Pausing, Chelion runs a hand through his fur, and his eyes fix on the moving patch of darkness.

"Of course, if there is no possibility of that, I would settle for a detailed map of their lair..."
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2007-12-28 at 04:29 PM. Reason: adding color to speech wee

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Ghuan laughs. "Hail to the Queen!" She skitters closer to the others. "May she live long! But I do wish for weapons, I am weak without weapons, spells are not enough."
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race
    -Complicated Wendigo Race
    False Hydra (Goblin Punch)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Silence

The shadow, having no interest in either weapons or treasure, seems content to wait and observe while those assembled prepare to leave. It casually floats upward, where its view is less obstructed, and watches the group from above.
    Last edited by kirn; 2008-01-02 at 10:09 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bettrin looks over the group, and gestures to the two hooded and cloaked guards by the door.

To Sku-lin, she says, "Your group might be too weak to successfully defeat the wererats and obtain my treasure. Perhaps we should aid your ranks."

She gestures for one to come closer, and stares at the other door guard, who turns and leaves the room, closing the door behind him.

To Silence the shadow, hovering above the group, she thinks "Fill him in on all the details you think necessary. I trust your judgement."

To the rest of you, she introduces him with a simple "This is Shalu, one of my workers. He will be accompanying you as well."

Standing, she moves toward the door, opening it and standing in the entrance. "I will see to adding one or two more to your ranks. Wait here, and soon I'll have you shown to the weapons."

She closes the door with a final-sounding clang and shortly followed by the ominous sound of the locking bar being dropped. Apparently she doesn't want you wandering while you wait.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shalu

As soon as Bettrin leaves, Shalu gives a short, efficient bow, not wasting any energy in the action.

"I am Shalu, as Bettrin has told you. Because you survived the wererats, you must have some talents. What are they? If we are to kill the wererats and secure Bettrin's treasures, I need to know the group's talents and weaknesses, in order to better formulate plans capitalizing on our strengths, and reducing the weaknesses."

Shalu's face is still shrouded in the hood of the simple-looking grey cloak, impassively surveying the prisoners.
    Rational Goblin Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

Ixtlan, World of Exploration, my campaign setting. Currently on hiatus.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Moastuo

Moastuo eyed the newcomer closely. Yet more Spetznatz presence to keep everyone in line, to keep them in the damned sewers, with the damned wererats. Still, this one was flesh and blood, and thus easily removable if required.

"My use was limited in the initial attempt, in part due to the lack of silvered arrows among us, but also because our leader at the time preferred to rely solely on a scout that was unable to speak. We shall see how things go this time in those regards. I also have limited magical ability, the most directly useful being the ability to tap into one's latent anger, allowing them to attack more fiercely for as long as I am able to maintain the link."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Ghuan:
    "Loyal priest of Lolth am I and she gives me gifts for my loyalty. I be a drider and my bite is poison. Divine madness is my gift and my curse. I seek the returned favor of Her Who Weaves."
    She grins wildly, madly, and taps the lens over her eye.
    "When that favor is returned in full, great magics will be mine once again! The Underdark is beauty. I like Monty Python. As did Wilde, I've nothing to declare but my genius."
    Last edited by GuesssWho; 2008-01-02 at 11:19 PM.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    There were other programs that were deleted, but they either go quietly or spend the rest of their existence sitting around babbling about causality. Smith's different. He gets deleted and he's like "Hell no, I'm staying. And I'll steal your kernel privileges and spam copies of myself onto every last thing on the hard disk. How d'you like that?"
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

Silence

The shadow hovers above, silently watching. Chelion and Shalu seemed eager to try to lead. An interesting reversal. The shadow chuckled inwardly. Shalu would be entertaining to watch in the slippery muck of the darkened sewers. Flowery speech would be of little help there.

I have been instructed to brief you on our mission. There's not a lot to tell. We are hunting wererats, they like to live in the sewers, like the rats they are. They're faster than us in the sewers, they have many traps, and they have numbers on their side. They are cowardly and often flee from battle.

The first expedition was partially successful. There are two warrens of the beasts left. The one to the south is unexplored, but it likely to be much like the other warrens we've encountered. No more than 20 wererats hiding behind a hidden door with traps. They make use of slaves and capture them as they can. The bird woman and the walking meat puzzle are two of them. They sometimes have hidden escapes they can flee to and make good use of bows to defend the entrances if warned of an attack.

The warren to the north is easily the largest yet. The rats there have armor and better weapons. The warren holds twice the number of rats. They observed me scouting them and were warned of our presence. Before we could decide what to do about it, they had sent a patrol to hunt us, a scout to track us and swarmed our position, easily defeating us. Those present are alive by Bettrin's favor. Her agents retrieved them and treated them.

The first group was powerful, but many overestimated their power. Those that fled were recovered... There is nowhere for the wanted to hide from the shadows. Others were killed by those they sought to impose their will upon. Those that remain do so against their desire and would happily see you killed by.. circumstance.

You are outnumbered and out manuevered. Many who would serve on the front line are no more. Flowery words will not help you in the sewer. The rats live in the rooms with the controls you wish to use against them. What else do you two offer?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Chelion

His eyes narrow for just a moment, then he smiles.

"Flowery words? Quite the literary allusion." Smiling drily, he looks pointedly at the slightly visible ring the shadow now wears. "I see you are quickly becomming comfortable with your new toy." He pauses for a moment, in thought. "I suggest we test our new group against the south force first, then regroup. If the north force fails to react to the destruction of the south force, we can move immediately on them at that point." Looking around at the rag-tag group, he raises an eyebrow... "Does anyone else have a better plan?"

Spoiler
    Show
    i was thinking about it, and if it's ok with you dm, i'd like to swap out bloodwind spell for color spray. i'll switch it back if you say no :)
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2008-01-05 at 12:12 PM. Reason: noticed a spelling error

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

Gurnan

Shadow, perhaps your mistress could look over what we've already found. Ten gave me the impression we already found something she was looking for... And do you have a name that you would rather be called?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Ghuan:

"Fight weaker beasties first, live longer. Come, ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night! The giant evil mecha monkeys are after us. We must leave ASAP."
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

As you sit debating amongst yourselves, one of the hooded guards comes in, holding the door open. In a voice that can only be described as 'gravel-ly,' he intones "Mistress Bettrin requests that you follow me to find new weapons."

He waits for a moment, and then turns and leaves, leaving the door open. He walks down a dimly lit stone hallway, past groups of sobbing and screaming prisoners in cages on either wall, down a spiral staircase carved out of the stone, down to the lower level, which has even less light.

The guard approaches a small storage room, opening the door and gesturing inside. While you are unimpressed with the condition of these halls, the room is dusty and even less impressive. Large crates, broken down and filled with dust and rags, are unimpressive until the contents are examined. Tools and weapons of every kind have been loaded into these crates, from a sword so large that it must have been designed for a giant to a rapier with a blade so thin that it shakes when you turn it. Some weapons you have no idea the use of, and some are so common that even those with the least training among you know how to fight with them.

Weapons of every shape and description fill these boxes, loaded in here and forgotten. Dust covers everything, but it's clear even from the beginning that not every weapon is silvered. Perhaps some of these weapons have other properties, but it's impossible to know what they are without studious inspection.

((Tell me what you're looking for, and I'll tell you if it's in there -DM))

After a few moments of poking through the boxes, two guards enter the same hallway with a large naked troll. They unchain him, look to the group, and one of the guards laughs "He's your problem now!"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Fangzy

Fangzy gets up and looks around, a confused look on his face, when he spots the team he says {In Giant} Eh, who'r you an' who do I EATZ first? Fangzy grins exposing his long yellowing fangs.
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Chelion

A gleam comes to his eye as he looks at Fangzy. In Giantish : "For now we gear up. The killing and eating will come." He smiles. "Find yourself a weapon." Chelion turns, and starts perusing the weapons. Gesturing strangely and muttering under his breath, he takes a careful look around at all the various armaments, in hopes of finding something that will enhance his claw attacks with silver. If there is nothing like the Beast Claws (savage species) or a lesser version, he will select a silvered or (if available) magical polearm. Even if there is, he will take a polearm as well.

[ooc:the muttering and gesturing was casting of detect magic.]

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Silence

As the group decends deeper, the shadow follows along, playing among the shadows of the corners and ceiling. Still having no interest in weaponry, the shadow looks for a dark corner to call its own and watch until it is time to move on to more interesting things.

Hide (Dark Tunnels) (1d20+5+4=15)
    Spot (1d20+7=24)
    Listen (1d20+7=25)
    Last edited by kirn; 2008-01-07 at 04:22 PM. Reason: grammar

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Ghuan is looking for her snake whip. Barring that, anything silver--or gold, or just plain cool-looking. Common sense need not apply.
    Cthulhu fhtagn R'lyeh!
    Degeneration 91
    Homebrew:
    Anglermaids

Wendigo Race

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Moastuo

Moastuo sniffs around the room, looking for some kind of crossbow. He was still young and underdeveloped, and lacked the strength to make proper use of a bow. There was also the matter of finding a better weapon for melee combat, his little dagger was pathetic in virtually every way possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Looking for a small light crossbow, masterwork preferable, magical (if I can tell such just by looking at it, or someone with detect magic mentions something) more so.
    For ammunition, silvered bolts preferred for obvious reasons, but I'll also grab a quiver or two of regular bolts regardless.

Additionally, I'd also like a melee weapon that 1) is sword-based, 2) can be wielded with only one hand, 3) is better than a dagger. As with the crossbow, higher quality preferred. Silvered handy, but not overly required (although if I have enough encumbrance capacity, I might pick up both a regular and a silvered version)
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2008-01-07 at 05:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

Sku-lin

Sku-lin glances over at the newest adition to the group.
    This creature seems stupid but appearences can be deceiving. In any case it speaks a language that I do not and the furball does. This is something that requires careful attention in case it exploits this adavantage

Sku-lin looks through the crates at the various weapons
    "Of course I would prefer to just use my claws but against these wererats that plan would not work very well. A pity, it is so much more satisfying to feel every strike ripping through the opponent's flesh personally. So instead I shall pick the deadliest silver weapon I can find. A greatsword, I think, the one I was using before served me well"

OOC: Sku-lin also casts detect magic. If he finds a magic silver greatsword then he will identify it.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

As Fangzy surveys the assembled group he grumbles {In Giant} Even iz not THAT stupid, I needz me an axe, a big axe! Fangzy stalks around rummaging for an axe or something else of similar destructive and brutal properties.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll just take a Greataxe I guess

20. - Top - End - #50

At Fangzy's statement, Shalu opens his mouth as if to say something, but thinks better of it, and rummages around for weapons, preferably morningstars, sickles, or shortspears, perhaps even a longsword, mainly searching for silver, but mumbling and gesturing like the others.

So, we have a troll in our midsts. How utterly disorderly. I hate disorder. Still, he could be of great use to this group. It is unfortunate that the furry one speaks it's language, and I do not. I better keep an eye on both of them. Perhaps I can exploit this, I do not think that very many of this group speak the troll's language. Distrust is a powerful tool, and their is much of it here.

Shalu smiles beneath his hood, then continues to search for weapons.

OOC:
    Shalu is seaching for the aforementioned type of weapons, and is casting detect magic as much as he can. As a backup, Shalu will take any silvered daggers if he finds any.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

Gurnan

Gurnan rifles through the pile of weapons, until he finds a silvered Rapier, or the rapier described as so thin that it shakes when I turn it. He also searches for a bow, which will match his strength (mighty +3), with whatever appropriate arrows available.

Finally, Some decent equipment. ...Oh, armor... Gurnan looks around for a suit of either leather, or MW Studded Leather. If he finds it, he will toss the chain shirt he got from Splitta on the pile.

If there are any clean clothes, he will quietly change into them. taking advantage of whatever liberties given to re-equip himself.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Kierach

Kierach looks thoughtfully at the vrock, and some of the others—the ones who were muttering under their breath. "So long as you're searching for higher-quality items.. let the rest of us know what you find, too, wouldn't you? The better equipped everyone is, the better the chance is that we all survive this." It was perfectly sensible, to her mind, but Sku-lin was a demon, and they couldn't be counted upon to always be sensible. She gazes around at the others as she starts searching through the crates—hopefully one of them would agree with her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kierach isn't looking for anything terribly specific, but she'll take a masterwork shield (heavy or light), preferably spiked, a silvered one-handed weapon (probably longsword, ideally masterwork), and either masterwork studded leather armor or normal leather armor, if the other isn't available. She'll also take a composite bow, masterwork if she can get it, with an appropriate Strength rating (+2) if available, and silvered arrows.

Oh, yes—do we have any of our old things? There was some magic equipment in there, as I recall...
    Last edited by The_Snark; 2008-01-07 at 11:33 PM.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Brazick

Braick digs through the pile of weapons, looking for a spear. Preferably one that has any of the following qualities: magical, silvered, evil-aligned, and/or fire properties. However, when the naked troll gets thrown into our midst, Brazick switches priorities to finding our newest...addition... a pair of pants ASAP.

We are quite possibly the saddest, most disgusting bunch of miscreants I have ever beheld. I wonder how many of us are going to make it back from this little excursion... We got lucky last time, and now half of our original members are dead, and we've banded together with a whole new band of prison rejects. {Internal monologe}

OOC: On the odd chance that I actually can determine anything myself Knowledge Arcana- (1d20+3)[7] and to find anything special: Search- (1d20+5)[10]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

Chelion

As he comes across weapons of interest (magical), he pulls them out and places them carefully aside, of course claiming any magical polearm and/or minor beast claw gauntlets for himself. At Kierarch's comment, he smiles, and nods. His raised eyebrow and quirked smile suggests that the suggestion to help others select magical items wasn't required.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Fangzy looks around, admiring all the weapons and grins again, then says {In Giant} Whats whif all you guys gettin' shiny silver weapons? don't dey break easier? whoz we fighting anyway? by this point Fangzy is looking a little confused and rubs his head like he's getting the beginnings of a headache, for though he is more intelligent than some of his kin, being a troll his mental capacities are somewhat limited.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Chelion

Giantish "Were-Rats... Silver weapons hurt them more. You can probably squish them without one, but everyone likes overkill." He smiles ferally, exposing his sharp pointed teeth, and oversized incisors.

If anyone looks over suspiciously or curiously at their 'private' conversation, he will translate the comments word-for-word.
    Last edited by Jael_Darkwood; 2008-01-12 at 09:27 PM. Reason: color change

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Fangzy's smile widens and his yellowed teeth draw blood, and he says {In Giant} I likes to squish rats, and to eatz em' too. Fangzy's grin widens, and his fangs draw blood from his gnarled lips, which dribbles down his chin

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    two things, one, do the effects of lycanthropy apply to Trolls (I would think not but you never know ) and two, even though I don't have fast healing, for the sake of RPing can i act as though i do outside combat? like saying that the wound caused from my fangs on my lip quickly heals over?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Asmodeus View Post
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    two things, one, do the effects of lycanthropy apply to Trolls (I would think not but you never know ) and two, even though I don't have fast healing, for the sake of RPing can i act as though i do outside combat? like saying that the wound caused from my fangs on my lip quickly heals over?
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lycanthropy can be spread to Humanoids and Giants. Trolls are giants. That said, you need to be within 1 size category of the base animal in question, so if you're Large, you're safe from wererats, barring any houserules I'm not aware of.

Moastuo

The troll seemed to be civil, at least to the point of not trying to eat anyone... yet. Only time would tell if the brute would prove useful or yet another waste of meat.
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2008-01-12 at 11:28 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59

Shalu nods quickly at the angels suggestion, as it was very practical. Oh, how Shalu missed that word. Practical, he mused. For the longest time, he had been around the sadists and psychopaths of the Spetznatz, and the word of the day were things like torture, cut, and hurt. Shalu never did have the urge to cause pain and suffering, like his fellow Spetznatz. Sure, he was the most self-suffering Arenea you could ever meet, but he didn't take joy in pain. Perhaps, being assigned to this group, hunting for Bettrin's precious trinkets with a bunch of misfits, he could finally get away from the pathetic sadism that so permeated every single thrice-cursed day with the Spetznatz.

At the trolls conversation with Chellion, Shalu curiously asks what the troll is saying. When he gets an answer, Shalu nods his thanks quickly, then adds, "Perhaps if we figured a way to coat his claws with silver, he could be an even better advantage. Of course, we most likely can't, so, I can't help but wonder..."

He trails off, and glances at Moastuo curiously.
    "Barghest, you were on the first search, right? Can, ah, will you please tell me, if the wererats gathered in tightly packed groups? Or how vulnerable to explosive potions they'd be, such as alchemist's fire?"

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Chelion

Looking around at the group, he notes with appreciation the gear they have...

Spoiler
    Show
    dm, i guess since nobody is posting, can you tell us what our looting has accumulated? specifically, what magic goodies did i pick out? also, did i find a silvered polearm? etc etc... lets get this party started!