Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 81
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mikeavelli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Big Game Hunters (IC)

    "Welcome to Spielburg Valley." The leader of an overstaffed checkpoint-fortress at the narrowest part of the pass into the valley greets you as you enter. Though most of you arrive at different times, the scene is the same, as though he's reading from a pre-written script. "I must warn you before coming in, Spielburg is not safe for travellers, only hunters responding to the Baron's bounty should cross this point, as we cannot garuntee your safety while in the valley until the hunt is successful. Until then, we're here to ensure the beast doesn't escape the valley, and to protect the citizens. of Spielburg.

    The Baron recommends that you not go anywhere alone. Beyond the beast, monstrous tribes have grown bold since we stopped making patrols, and are ambushing lone hunters in the woods.

    While in Spielburg, you are welcomed to stay at Harrington's Inn, as the Baron has graciously offered to cover the living expenses of every hunter who comes to the Valley. You would do well to talk to the hunters who have already ventured into the forest, especially Taen Kras, who has fought the beast and survived three times now. Many of them are in Harringtons, or at the temporary hospital set up in the Shrine to Obad-Hai near the fields.

    Good Luck, and Good Hunting."

    The town itself is a mile and a half down the road, an uneventful end to an otherwise uneventful trip to the valley, and contains all the basic necessitities of life. Harrington's is the only Inn in town, and practically overflowing with customers by now. Small shops carry sundry goods, but anything particularly well-made has already been bought up (Anything nonmagical less than 50 gold from the PhB is available without even asking about it) - The Shrine to Obad-Hai, formerly a small dwelling for the priest and his apprentice who ensured good harvests, has blossomed out with tents and cots for wounded guardsmen and hunters to rest in. Any stock of potions they once kept up have already been taken, and the two clergymen are overworked in the extreme.

    The Baron's keep, which overlooks the village, is closed for the moment, anyone not bringing news of a successful hunt is turned away. Beyond it all are the fields, worked by nervous peasants and patrolled at the edges by a sturdy force of guardsmen.

    The rest of the valley is untamed woodlands, where the best paths you can see are deer trails.
    Last edited by Mikeavelli; 2007-12-10 at 12:12 PM.
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

    Avatar by Molly

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Vincent Swiftfoot, Mage and Trapmaker, makes his way calmly down the road into the Valley beyond. Nodding politely to the Guard as he passes, he rides his dog into the town and makes his way towards the Harrington Inn. He will check in at the front counter, inquiring about any Halfling sized rooms still available, and renting one if so. He will then mingle in the lounge, meeting up with the other hunters as they arrive...

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Green Bear

    For all his troubles the guard merely gets a half hearted snarl from the big man leading a big gray horse into the valley, the bounty hunter known as Green Bear sharing his foul mood with everyone. He would but damn the elf Silverleaf who'd given him that nick-name, for a few of the overstaffed guards muttered it upon his appearance. He would, but it was bad form to damn the dead, in particular when he'd come to avenge that particular elf's death.

    Leaving Silverleaf's daughter back at that foolish wizardry school she attended, with an oath sworn to carve the beast apart before its black heart stopped beating, he'd come out this way without pause and without much rest and without relent.

    Up 'til now, that is.

    Guardsmen tend to be picky about warriors who charge their gates, even if they have a perfectly good reason to do so, and so the barbaric ranger entered peaceably; his eyes glaring out from under a young troubled brow.

    Scoffing the need for any more equipment than the sword by his side and weaponry and gear at his back, the only thing he needs now is a place to keep the horse while he gets some quick rest before delving into the woods at the crack of dawn. He storms into Harrington's after hitching the brute to a post and looks for a seat. Though the place is crowded, the young man reasons within his mind that sooner or later someone already with a room will probably get kicked out for some fool act of violence or trouble.

    Even if it's someone foolish enough to pick a fight with him, a chance he idly wouldn't mind stumbling across. After all, he's already looking for one source of trouble.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2007-12-10 at 06:30 PM.
    "It's always baffling to me that history seems to be full of rich folks paying people to get really good at killing other people, then being surprised when those people, after not being paid, try to kill them instead."

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Kyroswolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Mississippi, USA, Earth
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    As the evening wains a bedraggled pair arrives at the gate. Their clothes are rags, one carries only a long walking stick with him. The guards move to stop him, as surely no unarmed man should be allowed inside, "We are quite able to defend ourselves. Let us pass." The almost regal tone of his voice persuades the guards and the pair enter. "So, Besil, where should we begin?" Geoffery asks his cousin once they are well within the valley.
    NOTE

    "Veni, Vidi, Velcro!"
    I came, I saw, I stuck around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Apologizes to Lochar
    I live in the real life Ravenloft!
    Gamiel, Reynoldo Estebar, Boar, Gliff Addel

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    A short, rugged man steps up to the gates looking as if a part of the forest got up and decided to become a man.

    G'day. Name's Rogan. I'm here to bag your sheila, he says matter-of-factly. Once the guard lets him pass, he'll find a room, then immediately seek out Taen Kras in order to get a bead on what he hunts. He's heard it's a wolf, a big one, and probably a monster. That's fine- he'd killed monsters before and he would again. The real problem would be hiding his scent, but maybe Mr. Kras could shine some light on that topic.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2007-12-11 at 10:33 AM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

    Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

    PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

    Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

    Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyroswolf View Post
    "So, Besil, where should we begin?" Geoffery asks his cousin once they are well within the valley.
    Besil smiles. "You know me, Geoffery," he replies with a voice that borders on a song, "I'd prefer to gather what tales we can of this beast first. Best to know what to expect. Let us start at Harringtons and then move on to the Shrine."

    Besil leans his staff toward the Inn and the ragged pair enter the Inn. Besil stands near the entrance, surveying the crowd inside, trying to determine who were hunters just starting out and who may have already faced the beast.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    ShadowyFigure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Waking from his normal 2 hours rest Marcus finds himself blinded by the birght light of the sun as he is dragged along the road. looking up he relises that he had obviously fallen from his war horse in his sleep and so had been dragged for most of the travel and so as normal he slept through it. Letting out a yawn Marcus quickly stretches forward pulling himself free from his stirup and watchign as his horse slwoly comes to a stop aware of it master no longer being pulled along.

    Aproaching his horse he looks over to the fortification of the valley were a guard stares startled by the sudden apearance of the Xeph. Taking a deep breath Marcus mounts his horse and gallops off past the gate ready to see what is to be hunted in the lands... After he grabs a pint of course.
    Star Wars:Dawn of Defiance
    An official WoTc Camapign for my first time as a GM. Apply within!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mikeavelli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Harrington's Inn is a crowded place, the new Arrivals would fit in well with the already assembled crowd of hunters. Fully half the crowd seem to sodden with drink they're obviously here more to leech off the Baron's hospitality than to actually try and hunt anything.

    The remainder consist mostly of the players assembled here, Green Bear, Vincent, Marcus, Basil & Geoffery should be coming in about the same time, easily close enough to notice each other. The staff, a trio of Wenches (Ahh, good ole' fashioned Wenches) are so overworked by the extra business that anyone waiting to be served will be greeted with a quick, "Seat yerself, we'll be with you in a bit."

    Beyond all of you, notable figures include:

    A huge man (nearly the size of Green Bear) with an entirely-too-serious look upon his face who looks like he's never drank a drop in his life, seated with a shifty-looking fellow that looks like the second half of one of those "Unlikely duo" plays those rich snots from the City are always raving about.

    Six young men, barely older than boys, loudly boasting about how they're each going to capture the beast single-handedly. What marks them as different from the regular breed of drunks is how they actually seem to mean it.

    ------

    Mr. Rogan searching out for Taen Kras could hear from anyone in town how the King's Hunter is still in bed in the hospital-shrine run by the clergy of Obad-Hai.

    The hospital is little more than a tent filled with cots where bandaged men lay waiting for each day's round of healing prayers. Taen himself is easy enough to find among the wounded, being covered in bandages from nearly head to toe ("And that was AFTER the clerics cast their spells" A helpful attendant would let Rogan know while pointing out where Taen was lying down) - He's awake at the moment, but doesn't look to be in too good of a mood.

    "Yes?" Is his only greeting.
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

    Avatar by Molly

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    ShadowyFigure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Jumping from his horse Marcus ties it quickly down and walk through the door into the inn looking around he tries to here what the six men boasting are saying as he walks towards them.

    listen - (1d20+8)[21]
    Star Wars:Dawn of Defiance
    An official WoTc Camapign for my first time as a GM. Apply within!

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Green Bear

    Bear finds the din and chaos of the bar as acceptable from his position. He doesn't sit at the table in much of a slouch nor with feet propped up. No, he seems more intent on looking to see if anyone can give cause to his earlier plans of ousting a troublemaker and taking their room.

    It's like a buffet in that regard, though after a few moments more, the bounty hunter resigns himself to hopeful patience. At least for now.

    Geoffery and Besil he glances at with a brutish look, but doesn't seem to find them much of a threat and makes a point of ignoring them for now. No, after more waiting for an ale-jack and food, the barbarian finally starts to lean his eyes and ears towards the six boastful youths. Within reach of where he sits, Bear gives them a half-hearted scowl while listening to their claims, trying hard not to laugh at such merry entertainment.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2007-12-11 at 05:38 PM.
    "It's always baffling to me that history seems to be full of rich folks paying people to get really good at killing other people, then being surprised when those people, after not being paid, try to kill them instead."

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zimmia's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the prison of my mind
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Walking at the edge of the road, the woman studies the various people as they move past her. An invitation such as the baron has issued brings people with vastly different motives together, and it was fun to try and guess what they were. Eventually the town proper came into view. It was obviously that it wasn't typically this busy as people seemed to overflow out of several different areas.

    Moving over to an open space off the road, the woman fished through her pack until she found her comb. Emptying a bit of water onto a cloth, she wiped the dust of the journey from her hands, face and armor, finishing by combing her hair. She then packed everything away and started off once more. When she reached the main street she could plainly hear the crowd over in what had to be Harringtons. For only a short time past midday they seemed to already be fairly deep into their ale cups.

    Giving Harringtons a miss for the time being, she moved to the general goods shop, which was also bustling with activity and waited until one of the clerks notices and and then she asked to speak with the shopkeeper.

    "Well now," she says in a lilting voice when (s)he came over to where she was standing. "I was wonderin' if ye'd be int'rested in a bit 'o consignment considerin' all the traffic ye've got here." She opens a pouch at her belt and pulls out several silver bracelets and three pairs of earrings. They are done in a current but timeless style and two of the bracelets are set with blue stones. "Since ye've got the customers and I've got the stuff, we 'kin make each other happy, yes?"
    Poet Laureate of House Kato

    I have Ink to thank for my great avatar. Thanks!

    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Cruxador's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Happy stands impassively as the guard recites his speech, though the raven on his shoulder pipes up occasionally. As the guard finishes his speech, the Raven says "Cheerful here's really grateful for that info." "Indeed" says Happy as he turns and continues down the road.

    ...

    Happy arrives in town, and quietly heads to the tavern. He finds the least crowded area available which is within earshot of the six enthusiastic young men. He sits down quietly and listens to the conversations around him.
    (Taking ten on listen)

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Rogan

    Oi, I see you got yourself in a tangle with the beast. The locals say you fought her three times and lived. I wanna know how you did it, and what you did wrong.

    Mr. Rogan flips a chair backwards and sits on it, legs akimbo, leaning against the back. Did you track her, or was it an ambush? What weapons did you use? And how smart is she- really?
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

    Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

    PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

    Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

    Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Vincent takes a glass of suspiciously strong tea and begins to wander the crowd in an unimposing way, scanning the various patrons and trying to separate out the wheat from the chew toys. A man as smart as Vincent realizes fully the importance of having brave men armed with swords and armor and iron wills around when hunting monsters. After all, all that equipment just made it that much easier to outrun them once things went bad.

    A few patrons catch his attention immediately: The giant and the rat look professional, though a fleeting hesitation makes him a bit uncertain about the pair. The man with a stick and the performer who just walked in might need some Arcane support, as might the large man sitting alone. And the man with a Raven has the look of a mage about him (One can never have too many mages around. Never.). Making mental notes to see where each of those men's specialties lay, Vincent decides to approach the table of young boasters to see what their plan is, and if they might just require the services of a Wizard...

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mikeavelli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    In Harrington's Inn, the boistrous boys are quite loud, and perfectly audible to anyone specifically paying attention to them, (DC: 10 listen)

    "You all know there isn't an animal in the world I can't trap. When we go out to check those nets tomorrow, you'll see." One was saying as the conversation comes into focus.

    "Bah Paul! You saw the guard's armor just like we did, that thing's claws can cut through steel! Even if it is stupid enough to fall for your traps, it'll slash them to shreds. Now a good hit on the head from someone with proper training, THAT will bring the thing down." The largest one shot back with a snigger.

    "A Real man, huh? You think you're better than the King's own? Obviously it's stronger than any man, you'll be on your knees thanking me for saving your lives with a little honest magic." The smallest one cut in. You'd have never guessed he was a wizard if he hadn't just admitted it, dressed identically to the others and well-built from a farmboys childhood.

    "Listen to lil' Tom, he goes off to school and comes back his first year, thinking he's some kind of archmage or something!" The larger one streched his arm out and snagged Tom in a headlock, making him the victim of a playful noogy, "C'mon little brother, let's see your magic get you out of this!"

    The rest of the men, brothers all from how similar they looked, waited with baited breath while Tom whispered something beneath his breath, managing to ignore his bigger brother. "What was that? Huh Tom?"

    "You've had enough, John. Go to sleep." John, the big one, suddenly relaxed, falling off his chair to the floor to the drunken cheers of his brothers.

    "He going to be okay, Tom?" What looked like the eldest asked him with concern.

    "Yeah yeah, just drag him upstairs and let him sleep. He'll have a headache in the morning, that's all."

    "Good good, I'll get him to bed then." The eldest said, standing up, "Just remember brothers, we're not here for ourselves, we're here for Mom, and Dad, and all the folks back in Brielle.

    Aye, for Brille!” They (Sans the sleeping one) intoned as one!

    About the time when the Eldest has his brother’s arm over his shoulder, ready to drag him off to sleep is when they notice Vincent coming up to talk to them. The eldest pauses in his brotherly duties for a moment to begin the conversation, “Something the matter, mister?
    -----

    The shopkeeper gives Marin a concerned look. “Are you in some kinda’ve trouble, miss, that you’ve got to be coming all the way out here, especially when it’s so dangerous out, just to try and sell these things?
    -----

    As for Rogan, Taen Kras spends a good few moments just looking at him judgmentally. Finally, he answers the barrage of questions, “You’re awful rude for someone who needs so much help.
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

    Avatar by Molly

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Zimmia's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    the prison of my mind
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Marin

    Marin smiles, "Na at all," she replies to the shopkeeper. "I'll be after bringin' this fearsome beastie back y'see. But tha's no reason not ta' do a bit of business asides. Imagine how valuable these'ere trinkets'll be when I succeed?" she asked with a grin.
    Poet Laureate of House Kato

    I have Ink to thank for my great avatar. Thanks!

    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Mr. Rogan

    If I'm a little frank it's because time is of the essence, mate. Every hour that thing's out there is another hour some ill-prepared git might get his head ripped off, right?

    He looks at the incapacitated man, trying to judge for himself if he's looking at a great hunter or just a fool who's lucky to be alive.

    But no worries, I don't need your help if you don't wanna give it to me. Just thought you'd want to spare a bloke your fate, s'all. Say the word and I'll be going. Name's Rogan, by the way.
    Last edited by Human Paragon 3; 2007-12-12 at 12:20 PM.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

    Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

    PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

    Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

    Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Rydax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Jaegar stood in the road a moment, looking over the gate and what he could see beyond it. Not bad, he thought to himself. He approached the gates, ignoring the guards' warnings, and made his way inside.

    The fields then, he decided and began walking toward the shrine to Obad-Hai. The sooner he got the information he needed, the sooner he could get started.

    As Jaegar crossed town, however, he stopped when he heard a familiar voice. The same voice with that same silly accent. He grinned as he turned to see the woman bartering with one of the shopkeepers. That woman. She must be after the beastie too. He decided to continue on his way and let her continue her negotiations. There would certainly be plenty of time for catching up later.

    Finally he came to the shrine. He thought about kicking the mud off of his boots, but then realized What's the point? It's Obad-Hai. So he went around the shrine and the many tents, listening for whatever the failed hunters had to say.
    The best way to describe being Master of the Universe is that it's like wearing underpants fresh out of the dryer. Yeah, that's the feeling...


  19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    ShadowyFigure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Taking a seat and grabbing a pint Marcus quickly gets into the spirit of things listening out for any unusual talk amongst those in the inn.

    listen - (1d20+5)[12]
    Star Wars:Dawn of Defiance
    An official WoTc Camapign for my first time as a GM. Apply within!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    ShadowyFigure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    OOC: Scratch that ill take 20.
    Star Wars:Dawn of Defiance
    An official WoTc Camapign for my first time as a GM. Apply within!

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Green Bear

    Bear scratches his chin and then scowls as most of the brothers get ready to leave.

    "Damn, but this is going to be more hassle just to get to the monster than the slaying of him if I've got to wade through every fool family on an outing..." he mutters, calling for ale with a thunderous bellow moments later at the unfortunate wench that's closest.

    "A flagon! Bring me ale, woman and be quick about it or this tavern may yet see an even fiercer monster than the beast in the woods!"

    Sitting back in his seat, he looks about the tavern, as if daring anyone to call him on his brutish behavior, a smoldering look if there ever was one.
    "It's always baffling to me that history seems to be full of rich folks paying people to get really good at killing other people, then being surprised when those people, after not being paid, try to kill them instead."

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Cruxador's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Happy stands abruptly, and heads towards the large bellowing man. His raven flies ahead, and alights on the table. "You should be nicer. A hard working wench is hard to come by" he says with the air of someone imparting great wisdom.
    "everyone has problems" says Happy, taking a seat across from Bear. "Happy here means you got no reason to be angry. You mind if we sit here?"

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Green Bear

    Bear looks suspiciously at this bird perched on his table as if it belonged there. Anyone with half a brain may think (and anyone with less might say) it looks like the man would try to eat Happy's raven from the way his hands flex and his teeth clench, the look of a predator about to strike. It's almost humorous.

    However, the bounty hunter never liked the taste of squab, shrugging his shoulders and giving the bird no more attention he allows the other seat to the man.

    "I'm in no mood to dole happy words, but my money's enough to console maids from harsh ones, magician," he assumes, as if the notion Happy was of any other profession that allowed for an animal companion an insult,"I'm in a mood to be fed and rested before I kill the damned beast and be done with the business.
    Last edited by tonberryking; 2007-12-12 at 07:31 PM.
    "It's always baffling to me that history seems to be full of rich folks paying people to get really good at killing other people, then being surprised when those people, after not being paid, try to kill them instead."

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    “Something the matter, mister?”
    Arching an eyebrow, Vincent smiles and says, "The matter? Oh, certainly not. I merely happened to overhear your conversation about the hunt and was a might intrigued, as I too have come to this particular valley in search of the beast. As an accomplished practitioner of the Arcane, I felt I could potentially be a valuable asset to your troupe, however it would appear that young... Tom, was it? Has unfortunately beat me to that position." Inclining his head at the table and the men seated there, "I do wish you the best of luck, and hope that your hunt is as safe as it is successful. Perhaps we will meet again, though it would appear that other individuals might be more in need of my services."

    Turning abruptly if not impolitely, Vincent scans the occupants and decides the most likely suspects would be the pair who just entered, and walks up to Besil and Geoffry, "Evening sirs. You have the look of adventurers about you, though I dare say not exactly the look of trained wizards. Would I be correct in that assumption?"

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mikeavelli's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    The Shopkeeper speaking to Marin

    He looks over the shiny things Marin presents before him, inspecting their quality and making a few mental judgements of the sort she's probably seen before, Are they stolen? Probably, she'll sell them cheap if they are, how likely is it I'll get caught for having them?

    After a while, he seems to come to the conclusion Marin was hoping for, "Well, the missus has been asking me to get her some jewelry.... How much are you asking for 'em?"

    -----------

    Jaeger

    Would enter the hospital-tent-shrine of Obad-hai to see a multitude of wounded men in various states of recovery. If he's looking for information, it's simply a matter of asking around. After a few of them, it becomes obvious that no-one wounded here has ever actually seen the beast. Rather, they've been ambushed by goblins and kobolds that've taken to ambushing hunters. Seems the beast isn't bothering the monstrous tribes of the valley at all!

    Also seems anyone who tangled with the Beast is dead now, except for Taen Kras of course. If he pays attention, Jaeger would also bare witness to the conversation between an increasingly agitated Taen Kras and...

    Rogan

    "I'll be fine in a couple of days, 'mate,' and catch it myself my next outing." His voice takes on an almost beastial growl near the end of that speech, after which he locks up for a moment, like all the excitement made one of his wounds start hurting something fierce.

    After a moment it passes, and his tone is notably softer, "No, you're a good man, you mean well... I can't tell you much, except it's the biggest, toughest, meanest thing you've ever hunted. Smarter than most men too, it'll smell out an ambush and come up behind you before you realize it.

    About your only chance is to get it out into open country, a meadow is your best bet around here, and just be better at killing than it is.
    "

    Harrington's Inn

    "Right then Mister." The Eldest of the six nods to Vincent, letting him go off as easily as he came. He leaves with his inebriated brother, and the rest of their conversation drifts from bragging to stories about their hometown, Tom telling stories about the City and how exciting it is there, but nothing relevant to the hunt at hand.

    Marcus, paying attention to the whole of the room, can get the gist of the conversations between players going on, as well as an ongoing one between the large man and his shifty companion (Who are talking intentionally quietly to let their voices be drowned out in the general roar of the tavern) - but can't sift out the details.

    Before Green Bear can give substance to his idle thoughts of Raven Pot Pie, one of the wenches comes in out of the crowd, the demanded Ale firmly in hand. She lets down two flagons out of the four (!) she's carrying around the room just for this sort of occasion. One for Green Bear, one for Happy, a little watered down, but thanks to the Baron's generosity, the price is just right.
    Last edited by Mikeavelli; 2007-12-13 at 11:23 AM.
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

    Avatar by Molly

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    ShadowyFigure's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Marcus getting up walks over to where happy and green bear sits bowing polietly to happy. He anounces him self.

    " Hello, my name is Marcus of the Zeph paladins in the south are you also here to hunt the monster?" He asks though he knows what is going on he wishes to act ignorantly.
    Last edited by ShadowyFigure; 2007-12-13 at 12:58 PM.
    Star Wars:Dawn of Defiance
    An official WoTc Camapign for my first time as a GM. Apply within!

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Mantid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by ReproMan View Post
    Turning abruptly if not impolitely, Vincent scans the occupants and decides the most likely suspects would be the pair who just entered, and walks up to Besil and Geoffry, "Evening sirs. You have the look of adventurers about you, though I dare say not exactly the look of trained wizards. Would I be correct in that assumption?"
    Besil chuckles. "Adventurers," he says to Geofrey. "That's nice for a change. Seems our friend here has a sharp eye."

    He turns to the halfling and smiles. "We use to being called paupers before adventurers," he explains, waving a hand at his tattered robes. "And you are correct, on both accounts. I have picked up a little of the arcane arts, but certainly am not trained as a wizard." He glances over Vincent. "Now, if I were to make a guess, I'd say you are one of the newer adventurers here. You just don't have the worn look some of the others here have.

    "Ah! But where are my manners. I am Besil Gualdherp and this is my cousin and companion Geofrey, and, as I'm sure you have already surmised, we are have been lured here by the mystery of this beast. Now, who do I have the pleasure of talking to?"

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    tonberryking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Wandering
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Green Bear

    Pressing a gold piece into the barmaid's hand without looking (either her or the coin), Green Bear's ire is turned towards the paladin, interpreting the bow towards Happy (and not to him!) as an insult.

    The ale is good though as he kicks back a slug of it at least.

    "And kill it and find out if it's pelt will make me a nice cloak before the week is out," he spits, not too impressed with Marcus. The paladin's plan seems to work on him as his emerald eyes regard him as a simpleton. "You're welcome to watch, of course, but were I like you, I'd stay more than a league away when I get my hands on the hellbeast.
    "It's always baffling to me that history seems to be full of rich folks paying people to get really good at killing other people, then being surprised when those people, after not being paid, try to kill them instead."

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    Mr. Rogan

    The hunter scowls. This is going to be a tough one... Although he's confident he can track the creature, he doesn't like the idea of fighting it out in the open. Ambush, or at least surprise, is more his style. Maybe a trap of some sort to hold it still while he gets some shots in would be the way to go, or luring it into a dead end where he can fire from behind cover... Some distractions would be in order, regardless. A team of helpers would greatly increase his odds of taking the thing down- and coming out of this alive. Surely, he'd find some willing accomplices back at the lodge.

    Thanks for your help. I'm going to try and get a posse together. You're welcome to join it when you're well again.

    He gets up and goes to leave the healers' tent.

    You were wrong about one thing though- I'm not a good man.

    After leaving the tent, Rogan will go to the lodge and scope out potential allies.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show


    Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

    Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

    PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

    Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

    Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Goblin

    Join Date
    Oct 2007

    Default Re: Big Game Hunters (IC)

    "Ah! But where are my manners. I am Besil Gualdherp and this is my cousin and companion Geofrey, and, as I'm sure you have already surmised, we are have been lured here by the mystery of this beast. Now, who do I have the pleasure of talking to?"
    Grinning and making a bow, Vincent intones, "Vincent Swiftfoot, Arcanist and Trapmaker, at your service. And while I may not look it, I'm not exactly new to the adventuring game. I can owe my appearance to an appreciation of the joys of adventuring from 50 or so feet behind big men with big swords." Giving a little shrug, he continues, "If you're interested, I'm up for sitting down with a drink and laying down a plan about the best way to catch this thing. The Gods know I can't do it alone."
    Morituri Nolumus Mori

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •