New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Serenity/Firefly: Hole in the Black IC

If Grace has overheard Ryder's comm call or chosen to ignore it, is not clear. She keeps bustling away, having moved now to the galley, and soon enough, delicious smells start to waft through the mid level of the ship.

((No time to remeber how to roll fpr cooking, will do it when I'm back. Gone now for holidays, back only sporadically before the New Year. Grace won't do any dramatic things anyway, I guess. Happy holidays everyone ))

2. - Top - End - #92
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mainiac View Post
    ((Willing to spend a couple plot points to get a cargo milk run, so they aren't wasting gas. Also, picking up passengers if there's any to be had of course.))
    "Well, my friend's cousin is starting a machine shop," Beck muses, "and he was looking for someone to bring some refurbished floats* from his shop on the moon back here. He's not really finished with all of them, but you can wave him"--and she gives you his contact information--"and transport whatever is complete, it would save him some trouble later on."

-1 PP (Alex) (the earlier thing about "Charlie" didn't cost anything)

*float = equivalent of "car" today, refers to hovering passenger vehicles. Like a mule, but not for cargo. Mule is a term primarily used in the shipping industry.
    Last edited by ancalimohtar; 2007-12-22 at 09:28 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Barbarian in the Playground

Trevor Zane

The comfortable-looking pilot's chair spins 180 degrees to face Jin Wei-Li as he enters the bridge. Looking like a pile of dirty clothes tossed haphazardly into the seat, Trevor regards Jin with dead eyes and a faint smile.

He weakly offers, "Hiya mister. I dunno where the captain's got to, but I reckon you met her already. I'm Trevor, and I think Boran and Annalise are around here somewhere--bald guy and a redhead..."

He rubs at a bloodshot eye and looks back over his shoulder at the flight controls.

4. - Top - End - #94

Hey guys, I'm going to introduce a new change to the stats system re: the attributes Agility and Strength. I put it into the OP, but I copied it here:

These two attributes in this game have a few problems. First, Agility represents disparate qualities of a character--manual dexterity and full-body agility. When it's used for, say, Craft/Watchmaking and Medical Expertise/Surgery, it describes someone who has excellent hand-eye coordination, but more importantly, very precise and steady hand movements. However, when it's used for Athletics/Dodge or Performance/Dance, it's describing body control, center of balance, and full-body agile movement.

On the other hand, Strength is pretty much useless. You use it to make Strength checks to move stuff, sure, but otherwise, you only need it for Melee Weapons and Unarmed Combat, and those two are generally for backup when guns aren't available. Just like in real life.

As a result of this, Agility is way, way too good of an attribute, and Strength is crappy. You pretty much need a good Agility for any kind of combat character--first, to Athletics/Dodge or /Run or /Acrobatics or /Whatever on defense, and then also to Gun/Pistol or /Rifle or /Shotgun on offense. Nobody here has a higher Strength than Agility, for example. I'm going to shift everything with full-body motion from Agility toward Strength and rename the two.

Agility and Strength as attributes are being replaced by Dexterity and Agility. Dexterity represents accuracy, precision, and strength of hand movements. Agility represents control of full-body motion, balance, momentum, and leverage. Most of what Strength did (hand-to-hand combat, both with weapons and melee, moving stuff, encumbrance) falls under the new Agility, and makes sense there. Anything left over that doesn't fit Dexterity or Agility will go to Vitality.
    I looked through your sheets, and I don't think any of your characters would get nerfed by this change, with the possible exception of Lee. Lee relies on a high Agility to be a crack shot (he's even got the trait to prove it) and to avoid getting shot, but he doesn't have any points in Athletics anyway, so it's not that big of a difference. Everybody else I think is just peachy. You guys are welcome to switch around your points. I've updated the character sheet template on the website, but you guys can just do it on your own sheets. Put Dexterity where Agility is now, and Agility where Strength is now.

Initiative is (new) Agility + Alertness, and Endurance/HP hasn't changed (still Vitality + Willpower).

I hope you guys like the change!

Edit: Also, I've updated the OP with some new stuff, a bit on ship combat as well, skim it at your leisure.

Finally, I'll be gone until Wednesday, on a hiking trip. Continue the restocking of the ship on the Moon, etc. The mechanic guy is named Yuri. He's got about forty floats and some mules and various machines. You guys can roleplay the trip over there, and even that interaction if you get that far.
    Last edited by ancalimohtar; 2007-12-23 at 04:48 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95

Alright I'm back.

Nothing's happened?

6. - Top - End - #96

OOC:

Well, it has been a holiday.

And I have to say, I'm not too crazy about the Dexterity/Agility changes; I'd envisioned Annalise not being particularly strong or powerful, but still fairly graceful and able to get out of the way of things (in fact, getting out of the way was really her only physical defense). I neither have the available points to shift into nouveau-Agility, nor do I think it would really make sense for the character to be much more physically-oriented. It also seems less intuitive to me, but I guess that's more of a subjective thing. It's not a deal-breaker for me, though; I'll just make do with a slightly-clumsier Annalise.
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Jannex View Post
    OOC:

Well, it has been a holiday.

And I have to say, I'm not too crazy about the Dexterity/Agility changes; I'd envisioned Annalise not being particularly strong or powerful, but still fairly graceful and able to get out of the way of things (in fact, getting out of the way was really her only physical defense). I neither have the available points to shift into nouveau-Agility, nor do I think it would really make sense for the character to be much more physically-oriented. It also seems less intuitive to me, but I guess that's more of a subjective thing. It's not a deal-breaker for me, though; I'll just make do with a slightly-clumsier Annalise.
    I think if you're mostly interested in not getting killed when the bullets start to fly, your excellent Alertness should address that. Remember, in Serenity, unlike in D&D, ranged weapons (and one-handed ones at that!) are the default, which means cover plays a huge role. More importantly, rounds are 3 seconds, and thus movement is limited to 15 feet/round. Which means if you're far enough away from an enemy, he can't circle around your cover or defenses and drill your tush in one turn, before you get to react.

But d6 -> d4 shouldn't be that big a deal for Annalise. If you really wanted to make up the difference, a d2 in Athletics would cost you a measly 2 points.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by ancalimohtar View Post
    I think if you're mostly interested in not getting killed when the bullets start to fly, your excellent Alertness should address that. Remember, in Serenity, unlike in D&D, ranged weapons (and one-handed ones at that!) are the default, which means cover plays a huge role. More importantly, rounds are 3 seconds, and thus movement is limited to 15 feet/round. Which means if you're far enough away from an enemy, he can't circle around your cover or defenses and drill your tush in one turn, before you get to react.

But d6 -> d4 shouldn't be that big a deal for Annalise. If you really wanted to make up the difference, a d2 in Athletics would cost you a measly 2 points.
    Fair enough. I'll look over my sheet and see whether or not it'd be worth it to move things around. Either way, like I said, I'll manage.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99

Alright, it's been more than a week since anything has happened. It's the holidays, I get it, but one post a day requires, what, ten minutes? If you aren't in town or have no real access to the internet, I understand, but in the future, I would ask for notice for such absences (e.g., Sunfall's last post, my posts).

The last thing that happened was Beck giving Alex the contact information for Yuri. Presumably, you are all traveling between Sephie and its moon of interest, and some of you have just met.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

{OOC: My bad about the absence; I did in fact visit family. Tomorrow I shall refresh Boran and continue my scans of sophistication. For now, as we head toward the moon...}

Boran listens as the Hole flies toward her next destination. The check-up on Charlie hadn't produced anything useful, but it had been a welcome escape into the world of communications; proper physical communications, not just Cortex info. Trevor might be new, but it sounded like he was doing just fine up there.. and if not, Boran is confident he'll notice and warn the Cap'n before it gets out of hand. And maybe some of those new recruits would come up and Boran would get a chance to hear what kind of stuff they liked.(1d12)[5](1d4)[4](1d10)[1] (Alertness + Sharp Hearing + Perception/Hearing)

As things continue smoothly, Boran turns back to the various headsets. After Annalise's last few modifications it looked like they were finally getting somewhere close to being working two way sets. He starts to poke about, fidgeting with the headsets; Boran wants to have something to surprise the Cap'n and Annalise with when they reach the next stop. (1d6)[3](1d12)[2](1d4)[3] (Intelligence + Tech Eng/Comm/Sensors + Talented Comm/Sensors)

11. - Top - End - #101

After she's finished helping Boran out with the two-way comms for the time being (and offered to lend a hand again if he wants to work on them some more later), Annalise will swing by the kitchen to brew herself a cup of coffee, and then go back to her cabin to hop on the Cortex.

Spoiler
    Show

As a matter of course, Annalise will do some background-checking on the new recruits, and compile the results for the Captain's perusal when she's finished.

Rolling Intelligence (1d10)[9] + Technical Engineering/Hacking (Talented) (1d12)[5] + (1d2)[1]

If I need to roll separately for each character, let me know.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102

Boran has cumulatively rolled a 30 out of 35 for the two-way sensors. Another 5 minutes should do it.

Annalise heads back to her room, and on the Cortex, tries to find out about Trevor and Jin. She learns quite a bit about Jin, but not much on Trevor.

Rachel Lorelei, care to write up what would people would put up on the 'Tex about Jin and the program he went through? And Koji, same for Trevor.

I'm imagining that Anna, with a d12+d2 Hacking skill, has access to the Alliance's Person Registration System, and so she can pull up whatever the Alliance has put into that database on each person. This would be the basics, like age, sex, DOB and location, education, tax returns, property ownership, credit history, criminal record, outstanding warrants, and special designations by the Alliance, etc. In addition, Annalise rolled a 15 to get more information scattered about in other records, or just on the tex, on local government sites, or individual/private organizations' sites. Imagine a less-chaotic version of Googling someone's name in 2007. The 15 succeeds at a Formidable difficulty check, so let Annalise know whatever stuff on the tex you think a Formidable roll should uncover.

13. - Top - End - #103

I'll be back from Texas tomorrow. regular posting will resume wednesday morning.
    The significance of man is that he is insignificant and is aware of it.
    - Carl Becker

14. - Top - End - #104

Trevor Zane
    Basic Cortex information.

DOB 20/2/XX (16 years ago)

No Criminal Record
    Former employee of Ethan Zane, United Reclamation, based on Beylix.

Did not attend flight school, but received accreditation and interplanetary ship license based on testing and recommendation by Ethan Zane

15. - Top - End - #105

Happy new year everybody!

16. - Top - End - #106

Abel

ambles around the ship looking for the odd jobs that always need to be done. He'll lend a hand wherever one is needed. The only things that are structured about his schedule is the hour in the morning and evening spent in the cargo bay doing calisthenics and running.

OOC: Happy New Year!
    - Carl Becker

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

((Happy New Year, guys!

Ummm... ancalimohtar, considering your new attribute rules, I guess, I'll have to roll Dexterity (= former Agility) for cooking, won't I? BTW, would cooking dinner form a complex action?))

[roll=Dexterity+Craft/Cooking]1d6+1d8[/roll]

((Hm. Why doesn't that work?))

Meanwhile, Grace holds sway in the galley of the ship. Smartly chopping away at a slab of processed protein, she keeps a keen eye on the neat slices of squash and onion merrily sizzling away in the old and greasy frying pan.

The galley, a cosy place of mismatched furniture and outdated kitchenware, oddly reminds of the atmosphere in the ship garden: It seems cluttered, but not messy - everything has its place. Here and there, tiny pots with herbs hang from the ceiling, between drying sprigs and bulbs that were painstakingly tied into onion braids.

((Hopefully)) Delicious smells start to waft around the Hole's mid level and sneak through every chink, as Grace delves deep into one of the pockets of her cargo pants, retrieving one of her more prized possessions: A tin can holding delicate little threads of deep red color. Deftly chucking the bits of protein into the pan, she sprinkles some of the saffron on top, only cursoringly adding soy concentrate and pepper.

"S'all a question of seasonin'", she hums to herself and starts attacking the tomatoes. All the while, some sticky rice is boiling away in the old-fashioned cooker, waiting for its very own session inside the frying pan...
    Last edited by Sunfall; 2008-01-02 at 02:59 PM.

18. - Top - End - #108

+2 PP (Grace) for good roleplaying.

Sunfall, to be honest, I don't think the average person is limited by their manual dexterity when cooking. It's mostly multitasking, noticing subtle signs that the food needs X or Y, being able to think up innovative ways of mixing ingredients, and things like that. I think I would also take Alertness or Intelligence as the base attribute.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

((I'd prefer Intelligence, if you don't mind Alright, trying to roll once more. I can't see what I'm doing wrong, checked the tags twice, they're alright...))

Intelligence (1d12)[6]
    Craft/Cooking (1d8)[8]

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

((Yeash, I'm sorry about droping off the face of the earth there. Got caught up in holiday stuff and all. I'll get back into this and start posting again tomorrow, 'k?))

21. - Top - End - #111

Abel

drawn by the smell of cooking, Abel makes his way to the galley and just watches Grace work her magic.

"That reminds me to pick up some hot peppers next stop. Would you mind helping me grow a couple of plants in the greenhouse?"

Whereas Grace uses Craft/cooking Abel comes at it from the Artistry/cooking side, while his dishes are not nearly as hearty, they look damn good on a plate and the taste can be sublime... conversely some of his experiments have gone badly awry, some flavor combinations just don't go well with processed protein. Flaming hot curry spaghetti for example - even the dog wouldn't eat that one.

He'll make some small talk with Grace, checking out the lay of the land as it were.
    - Carl Becker

22. - Top - End - #112

Trevor Zane

In the cockpit, Trevor looks up from his personal access terminal, having paused his video game--an obsolete spaceflight/combat simulator--and sniffs the air.

"Food," He says to no one at all.

He strolls down to the kitchen and timidly peers in, curious as to what's being made and secretly worrying that there might not be enough.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Banned

(Sorry for the delay! I got real busy-like, and then I thought I'd updated this when I got my other games, but I hadn't.
    Agility/Dexterity change:
    Spoiler
    Show
    ouch. That really nerfs Jin, taking him from a top-notch combatant to a highly mediocre one (since instead of being able to both dodge and hit, I can now do one but not the other). Incompetence wasn't in the plan. I'll see if I can shuffle some points around, I suppose. Might have to ditch Reader for now.

Cortex info on Jin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The hardest part is getting information on the right Jin Wei-Li--it's a fairly common name, so there's a lot of fluff to sift through. Annalise manages to track this particular one down, however--he's core-born to a couple of government employees, attented military school and then a Military Academy at a young age, and the details are classified. Annalise gets access to the information with a faked journalist's clearance--Jin's records are required by law. Jin is a participant, from birth, in the Improvement Project, a twenty-three-year-old government not-quite-super soldier program started after there was a fuss kicked up about what the government was doing *out* of sight. The program adhered to all ethical standards, the gengineering performed on the participants' children was known to be safe and legal with the parents' authorization, the children were allowed regular visits from their family and received a fine education, and after several years of military training, were publically given the choice of continuing on in the project or leading civilian lives. A number of the first children to go through the project--there was one for every year for five years; Jin is from the third--have already received high-ranking military posts; a number from every iteration of the project have left, receiving an honorable discharge. Jin appears to be one of those who left the Project rather than continuing on in the military.
    The information is all easily accessible once access to it is gained--the government seems to have been doing its best to say "look, see? Nothing to hide."
    )

Before the Hole takes off, Jin fetches his things from the place he was staying at: not that much, considering that he appears to have been traveling that way, just two large suitcases and a duffel bag, which he takes into his bunk. He unpacks some of it, especially the clothes, toiletries, and weapons; he spends the rest of his time wandering the ship, occasionally closing his eyes.
    "Gettin' a feel for the place," he tells anyone who pauses to ask him what he's doing. "Important to know it well, I think--especially since mine's a security job. Wouldn't exactly be pleasant to get somewhere too late because I couldn't find my way, shi?"

He borrows some tools to set up a couple of contraptions in the cargo bay--a metal bar he runs between two poles there for other reasons, and a pair of gymnastics rings he hangs from something high enough to thrill, but not too high to reach from one of the platforms. He interrupts this business, however for dinner.
    "Oh, good. Someone can cook. Ooh, more'n one someone. Looks great," he tells grace, peering over her shoulder. "When d'we eat? Because I'm real good at that part."
    Last edited by Rachel Lorelei; 2008-01-04 at 04:50 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Huh?" Grace looks up from her pots, somewhat bewildered, as Abel adresses her. "Oh, it's you, is it? No, I wouldn't mind at all. What is it you would wanna grow? Somethin' unusual?" Her wrinkled skin forms little spider web patterns, as she smiles one of her sad little smiles at Abel. "I got some red hot chilies inna pot, too, somewhere in tha garden... Ain't quite ripe yet, still green..."

The grey-haired woman deftly chucks some tomatoes into the squash-and-protein-curry and starts to sway the contents of the pan around in a practised manner. "Would ya mind holdin' this, keepin' it from burnin', honey?", she asks Abel, handing him the brimful frying pan. "Think the rice's just right."

"Oh - hey there, kids", she says as Trevor and Jin stick their heads into the galley from different directions. (Only accidentally has she stood facing the exits while handing the pan to Abel, or else she never would have noticed.) She turns back to the stove, busying herself with a little mountain of rice, rummaging for an even bigger pan.

"Gonna need two of those", she murmurs, as Jin peeks over her shoulder and makes his remark. "I bet y'are at that, kiddo", she chuckles, fumbling for a sprig of thyme that hangs from the ceiling. "But how're yer... professional skills as to settin' tha table, I'd like ter know?" With that, she shoves a pile of mismatched plates (mostly chipped or dented) into Jin's arms.

25. - Top - End - #115

+1 PP (Trevor) for this gem of a line: "He strolls down to the kitchen and timidly peers in, curious as to what's being made and secretly worrying that there might not be enough."

+1 PP (Jin) for the bit about walking the corridors blind to get a feel for the ship.

The food smells delicious to everyone (except Jin), as Grace really outdid herself this time, welcoming the new crew aboard with some rice from the pantry and squash from the garden.

As an aside, as much as I love the comics, I hate when they're first put up. I've been trying to hit reply for like an hour, but the bandwidth goes straight to the comics, sigh.

Edit: Also, if you wan't to say "right?" or "am I right?" or "ya know?" at the end of a sentence, you'll want to say "dui bu dui?" or "dui ma?" or "ni shuo ne?" instead of "shi?" which doesn't make any sense. I'll update the Speak Mandarin post with more on what those terms mean.
    Last edited by ancalimohtar; 2008-01-04 at 03:41 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

"Thanks Beck, you know that every little bit helps on this beast. Take care." Alex gives a smile and kills the line. She's sits silent for a bit, then brings up some finance figures and plays around with them a bit, about as unhappy as finances always make her. She gives up after a few minutes and sends that wave out to Yuri, in which she shamelessly plays off of Beck's good name. She marks up the price a little, but offers a few hours of her own mechanic work on the trip over, hopping she could fill her hull a little more. She sighed, gave a longing glance at her floating to-do list of a ships schemantic and sent the message.
    Heading up ladder again, Alex swung by the mess. "Hey, that smells divine, I was gonna say to break out the tea and dumplings, but I like the smell of what you got there. Anyway, troops," Alex looks at the odd bunch in the kitchen. "We got ourselves a little work on the moon, so that's something good, eh? It's a weak tea cargo run, but I promise y'all, we'll head out for better stuff soon."
    Alex turned away to head up to the bridge, muttering as she went. "Not like I got much choice."
    Alex was disappointed to see that Annalise was gone and gave Boran a quick querry as to her location, saying she needed to discuss their new work then headed back down to the quarters to check for the woman there. Giving a knock and announcing her arrival, Alex popped her head in.
    "Hey, Anna, wanted to discuss our latest cargo. Might of put us up for some more busy work on our return trip. Don't mean to put a load on you, just trying to keep the hull full, dui ma? Look and another thing..." Alex gets close and speaks in an undertone so as to not get heard by any passerby.
    "Would you mind doing some snooping on this new Jin guy for me? Not that I don't think the kid seems nice enough, it's... look, we got a Fed on board and I want to check if there's a reason for that." Alex doesn't look exactly sure of what her whispered request is supposed to mean, mostly seeming uncomfortable her own self.

27. - Top - End - #117

I sort of forgot to expand on what I meant by the term "collaborative storytelling" when I wrote the OP for the recruitment thread, so let me take the opportunity to do it right now. I'll put it in the OP too:

I want you all to keep in mind that "collaborative storytelling" means you should be thinking of the game as a whole rather than the character you happen to be playing. Think of everybody together as a group of writers for a TV show. If one of the characters never fails at anything, never has interesting problems and obstacles, never grows and never seems human, viewers get bored of the character, the show as a whole suffers, and the boss (me) is going to get rid of this character, and the responsible writer will get a good talking-to.

I know most people are used to having their own enjoyment of the game be tied directly to the successes of the characters they play, and so people "powergame" or whatever, but I'm taking a different approach. If everybody identifies with the whole story rather than one character in it (just like a TV show's writers), then nobody takes it personally when one character suffers professionally, financially, emotionally for the benefit of the show as a whole.

What makes a good life for most people is financial stability, food, shelter, luxuries, excitement, happiness, basically resources to do what they want. What makes a good story is different. In collaborative storytelling, we create characters that are searching for a good life, but in that search, go through things that make a good story.

For example, when Mal is unsuccessful at selling the Lacetor, nobody watching the show really cares; being able to sell it doesn't really make the plot of the show any more interesting. But if the story were being roleplayed, the people playing Serenity's crew might get upset over it. Not to say that I would stymie Hole in the Black's crew just because, or that I would intentionally keep the finances ragged, or dangle rewards I wasn't willing to actually give the characters, but it's just an example of how what makes a good (fictional) story is different from what makes a good (fictional) life.

28. - Top - End - #118

I like these possibilities and subplots Alex is introducing.

Quick question, what do you mean by "She marks up the price a little, but offers a few hours of her own mechanic work on the trip over, hopping she could fill her hull a little more"? Are you offering repair services for Yuri?

29. - Top - End - #119

Trevor Zane

Trevor scuttles out of everyone's way, and clumsily bumps into Jin, nearly knocking the plates out of his hands. He flinches away from him and moves out into the hall a bit, head lowered.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by ancalimohtar View Post
    I like these possibilities and subplots Alex is introducing.

Quick question, what do you mean by "She marks up the price a little, but offers a few hours of her own mechanic work on the trip over, hopping she could fill her hull a little more"? Are you offering repair services for Yuri?
    ((I was thinking that Alex would offer a few hours of work by herself and Anna as an incentive to get Yuri to give them a bigger cargo. That way if Yuri had a float that needed a little more work before getting shipped planetside, he could send it out now and pay Alex's bunch for the transport, rather then later, when the money would be wasted on some other crew. Naturally, there'd be a little markup, since they are throwing in skilled labor, but the markup wouldn't only be about 3/4th the cost of what it would be normally. I'm trying to imagine the measures Alex might dream up to get some extra cashflow here.))