New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Inkscape guide for OotS avatars

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    That is what we call, "pretty damn good for a first try."
    It's a little hard to see anything because of the snow, the eyes are a little misproportioned, and it appears that he's naked, but other then that - nice job.
    I agree with Uncle Feisty. That is good, though you may have experienced the artistic rush of a first timer so you added all that snow and other effects. The character itself is very well proportioned and has smooth lines, I would prefer to see it as an avatar.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

First I'd like to thank Trazoi for the guide.
    Second, After I made my third avatar (my current avatar), when I uploaded it using Imageshack, and put it as my avatar, somewhere along the line the file was distorted. If you notice, there are some distortions around the left arm and shield. Also, some of the holes on his helmet are bigger than others. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

P.S. If you right-click view image, you can see how it is supposed to look like.
    Last edited by Teutonic Knight; 2008-03-30 at 01:55 PM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground

So, I made what seems to be the halfway decent avatar I'm currently using thanks to this. Mostly, I just want to know how to make it look like he's smirking. Any suggestions? Also, the thing in left hand (your right) is supposed to be a baton. Does it look a decent amount like one?
    EDIT:
    Making it not be stretched...
    EDIT2: De-stretched...
    Last edited by KingofParades; 2008-04-02 at 02:23 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeutonicKnights View Post
    First I'd like to thank Trazoi for the guide.
    Second, After I made my third avatar (my current avatar), when I uploaded it using Imageshack, and put it as my avatar, somewhere along the line the file was distorted. If you notice, there are some distortions around the left arm and shield. Also, some of the holes on his helmet are bigger than others. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

P.S. If you right-click view image, you can see how it is supposed to look like.
    What is the custom avatar size you set in your Account Options? It's probably bigger than the size of your avatar, thus making it stretch out.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

put eyebrows and curve the left end of the mouth sharper.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

6. - Top - End - #126

Will do, but where exactly do you recommend placing the eyebrows?

7. - Top - End - #127

GnomeWizardGuy

For a smirk, I'd just do a half smile with the mouth combined with "angry" eyebrows. If you head over to the Baldur's Gate Heal/Hurt in the Silly Message Board Games thread I've illustrated many of the characters, and I tend to draw Edwin with a smirk; you could look at that for an example.

Here's an example:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128

Er... I suppose I should have been more specific... I'm looking for a more care-free sort of smirk...

9. - Top - End - #129

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KingofParades View Post
    Er... I suppose I should have been more specific... I'm looking for a more care-free sort of smirk...
    More of a cheery half-smile than a sneer? Maybe just leave the eyebrows off then?

If the stick figures were more deailed, I'd put the eyebrows raised higher than you'd expect to look open and friendly, but I don't think I've seen an OotS character do that expression so I'm not sure it'd work.

10. - Top - End - #130

Kobold

<--there.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

11. - Top - End - #131

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post
    <--there.
    I've always thought that one looked more smug than amused

Actually, the wink isn't a bad example too.

12. - Top - End - #132

Hm... I'm trying this stuff, but its all making him look either like he's sneering, or it doesn't look like a smirk at all, just happy...
    OH! I JUST GOT AN IDEA!

... Well this sucks... it works, but now he looks like he has a unibrow...

EDIT: Just realized I should probably say the idea... I just did a sneer and flipped the mouth horizontally...
    EDIT2: A curve in the right direction seems to have semi-fixed it... switching to the new one as I type
    Last edited by KingofParades; 2008-04-02 at 03:29 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Perhaps letting the teeth show would be the best for your type of smirk. Like Haley is doing here .
    Last edited by Sensate; 2008-04-02 at 03:32 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134

Ah...
    yes, that would make sense.
    I'll try that after sleeptime.
    And schooltime.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

If this isn't the right place to ask this question, I apologize, but this seemed like the only appropriate existing thread and I didn't want to make a new one. So here it goes,

Could someone instruct me on how to draw a better diamond (in 3D) or a dodecahedron for my avatar? It was supposed to be a sensory stone (the ones from Planescape: Torment) actually, and any 3D diamond-like object should fit that description. I would like to make it semi-transparent on each side too.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Sensate View Post
    If this isn't the right place to ask this question, I apologize, but this seemed like the only appropriate existing thread and I didn't want to make a new one. So here it goes,

Could someone instruct me on how to draw a better diamond (in 3D) or a dodecahedron for my avatar? It was supposed to be a sensory stone (the ones from Planescape: Torment) actually, and any 3D diamond-like object should fit that description. I would like to make it semi-transparent on each side too.
    For a 3d effect what you need to do is play with lighting, choose a source of light and when you add color make the parts facing the source a lighter color, parts facing the sides should be slightly darker, and parts facing away should be the darkest.

To make it transparent change the alpha value on the fill color, and remember to draw a backside that you can see.

Here is my attempt at a diamond (non transparent) so you can see the lighting effects:

The source of light would be at the top right corner.

Hope it helps

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

While those tips about 3d effects could come in handy, that's not really what I was looking for. I wanted some tips on how to draw a diamond from an angle, so it could look more 3D. Your diamond looks pretty much the same as mine, flat.

18. - Top - End - #138

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sensate View Post
    While those tips about 3d effects could come in handy, that's not really what I was looking for. I wanted some tips on how to draw a diamond from an angle, so it could look more 3D. Your diamond looks pretty much the same as mine, flat.
    I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for - are you wanting a diamond like you've currently got, but not as upright as you've currently got? As in the centre axis through the diamond is slanted?

Generally speaking, OotS styled art is very flat; it's sort of the point it looks like that (for one thing, it's a lot quicker to draw ) But since you're going for a more detailed look for your avatars you might need to go up a level to sore more general cartooning tips.

For general cartooning, it helps if you can split the object you are modelling into a basic primitive shape - these are the "building blocks" you can break anything down into. Once you can draw the building blocks you can combine them to draw anything. The typical building blocks I use and practice are the box (rectangular prism), sphere, cylinder and cone.

For a typical diamond, it looks a bit like a cone with half a sphere on top (or maybe a cone with a short cylinder?). You can use those shapes to angle it the way you want, figure out the shading, and then mold that into the faceted shape of a gemstone.

Unfortunately I'm not at my home computer with my scanner and tablet right now, so I can't provide an example.

19. - Top - End - #139

GnomeWizardGuy

Okay, here's a quick example I belted out with Inkscape. Bear in mind this was done all quick-like and I'm not that much of a proper artist yet; I need tons more practice with my perspective drawing!

Here's the basic shape for a diamond: a cone on bottom with a sort of squashed half-sphere on top:
    Spoiler
    Show

(This was drawn using Inkscape's Calligraphy tool, which I tend to use to simulate a drafting pencil. I also tend to draw really wobbly lines when drafting freehand which is why I go over things a few too many times.)

After this, I marked where I want the facets to go by splitting the inner circle up into eight parts:
    Spoiler
    Show

Then I lopped off the top facet face and drew in the facet lines (they could be a little straighter; I did a bit of a botch job here)
    Spoiler
    Show

With the pen tool, you can then draw proper Inkscape shapes based on your draft. You can turn on snapping from the Document Properties to get the faces to all join together at the same point:
    Spoiler
    Show

Then remove the scribbles and you're done!
    Spoiler
    Show

You'll probably need to clean up the position of the nodes a bit to make sure it looks right; my gem is a bit wonky at the top, and if this wasn't an example I'd probably go back and play around with it. If you want to do transparent facets then you just need to draw the ones at the back as well and put transparency on them all. You can also be clever about your layers to make it easy to select different groups of shapes.

While this was pretty brief, I hope it helps!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Barbarian in the Playground

Trazoi my man! Had I read your guide before I started with inkscape I would have saved myself a lot of time from reinventing wheels. The guide should be required reading for anyone wanting to play with OOTS style artwork.

Sticky this or I'll call down the fist of a vengeful god to smite this forum.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trazoi View Post
    snip
    Damnation, you made it look crystal clear. That is bound to help and doesn't look too time consuming. Currently, I am configuring my Ubuntu Linux (I switched from Windows again), but when I have time I'll make one of these beauties and post my results.

Of course, thank you.

22. - Top - End - #142

MindFlayer

Okay here is my first try. If anyone can tell me how to make these things bigger I'd like to know.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Funny thing is, I don't really like clowns.

I'm ready for the constructive criticism.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Holammer View Post
    Trazoi my man! Had I read your guide before I started with inkscape I would have saved myself a lot of time from reinventing wheels. The guide should be required reading for anyone wanting to play with OOTS style artwork.

Sticky this or I'll call down the fist of a vengeful god to smite this forum.
    You did your first try without it? Ok, no I'm reallys scared what you are up to when you have practised more...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    DD: .... DEM HIPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by faerwain View Post
    Why do I have the feeling that you actually really grind Smurfs to make your ice cream?
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    My wedding underwear has a picture of Dallas Dakota's face on them.
    Ceikatar!

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

This guide was indeed very useful.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DementedFellow View Post
    Okay here is my first try. If anyone can tell me how to make these things bigger I'd like to know.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Funny thing is, I don't really like clowns.

I'm ready for the constructive criticism.
    As for making it bigger: make a 120x120 rectangle in a new layer and reduce it's opacity to 0. Try to use up the most of it by enlarging your character and using a pose that mimics movement (e.g. arms and legs stretched - running).

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dallas-dakota View Post
    You did your first try without it? Ok, no I'm reallys scared what you are up to when you have practised more...
    Lots of people managed stuff like that without the guide Dallas, the guide just makes it a heck of a lot easier.

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by dallas-dakota View Post
    Just as Lyinginbedmon says, the guide made things so much easier. I'm living on easy street as I've been fiddling with art packages since Deluxe Paint. After reading the guide thoroughly and exploring the program on my own, this is my current progress. If not for the fact that I'm doing the stupid "Shattered Sun Offensive" faction on two characters, I'd have more to show.

Spoiler
    Show

Lots of teeny-weeny detail, good for close up shots. The other two chars ended up upstaging the cleric character something fierce. So I had to make him a "Cleric in Robes" just to make him look interesting.
    Guy on the left is a Paladin (really!) and the guy on the right, well he'll probably be a bit of a surprise if I ever start doing a comic seriously.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm a fairly big player in ABR, so I've had to make a lot of art on a fairly short basis, and things just gradually evolved into the state they are now for me. I started off with collaging The Giant, then I went to MSPaint, then I started getting the hang of InkScape (The effects of which are still largely around in early Remember strips) and then I fully perfected the various bodyforms in InkScape and it became the present-day art style I use.

Now, of course, it's not 100% Giant mimicry, but that I think makes it better rather than worse. It's the eery valley school of artworks, you want it to be as much like The Giant so it's recognisable, but as much unlike The Giant so it's still original and individual.

29. - Top - End - #149

Sorry i couldnt help you sensate

Anyway, can anyone tell me how to make a chain shirt oots style, i tried doing link by link but it takes forever and looks bad in the end.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Just colour the shirt grey. The very first page of OotS shows that