New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pirates of the Dragon Isles(IC)

Tulek shrugs. Tennin's loss. "The scarlet eyes that see beyond the veil of death, rain down water," Tulek says with a strangely formal tone and accent to his voice, uncommon for one who is to become a pirate. A downpour of water opens over Lizzie's head, six soaking gallons dropping on to her. "Even?" Tulek asks with a laugh mirthful enough to show there was no malice in the action. Thoe figures who knew him before as he entered gaze at Tulek with even stranger looks, now. A jovial, mischievous servant of death fits well outside the boundaries of most's stereotypes.

2. - Top - End - #32

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos finds himself at a loss for words when Lizzy asks him to do something to the over large hobgoblin. As the uncomfortable situation lengthens him finds himself relieved when gallons of water come rushing down. He quickly jumps up and prevents most of the water from drenching him and quickly inpects his bow, drying it off on his shirt to prevent the water from spoiling it. He figures he'd never lose the habit even though his bow never seemed to wear from use or weather. After looking over his weapon he looks the the now soaked women, "I apolagize for these others, is there anything I kin do ta help you dry off." Karos says with the innocence only a truly clueless man can muster.
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Just as Ulfgar seals his fate with more tough talk, the First Mate suddenly leaps to his feet, looking off into the bar and says, "Cap'n". In the direction of the First Mate's gaze is the staircase to the private rooms. Walking down the staircase is the captain. She is decked out in new seafaring attire composed of bright reds and blues with a bright white undershirt and frillls. She wears long black boots that come just above her knees. About her waist is a black sash and scabbard holding some sort of sword with a gold and jewel encrusted hilt and guard. The captain's hat is tipped back a bit to clearly reveal her purity and beauty as well as her long curly jet black hair.

The Captain is always one to set a fine example for the crew, especially in the wenching department. On her arms hang two of the establishments finest wenches. She smiles and nods at Claw, who then sits back down.

The Captain, spotting a brawl on the far side of the room rushes over to join in the fun, leaving the wenches to their bar keeping duties. She soon disappears to the far side of the crowded bar, but the noise level from the far side of the bar, rises up as the crew cheers for(or against) the Captain.

The First Mate then says to Ulfgar with a bit of a sarcastic tone, "Brutal he may be, but he will be nothing compared to the discipline I learned.. blah blah. Bring on this challenge. No man or sea will break me... blah blah Aiy, little man, but SHE will."

Lizzy is none to happy about being drenched. She screeches a howl of anger and the sees that Karos is more concerned about his bow than about her, "Ah? What? Argh." With that she grabs Karos' still (mostly) full flagon and chucks it at Tulek. The flagon hits him square in the face and then falls into his lap, dumping the contents directly onto his crotch.

She turns and storms off leaving Karos to dry himself off with his 'friends'.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-12-17 at 06:47 PM.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

4. - Top - End - #34

"Aye, that's fair," Tulek laughs as the Flagon hits him. 6 gallons of water was a little excessive for one ale, he had to admit. "I'll buy yeh another ale, if that was yours she hurled at me," he adds to Karos, rubbing a tiny spot of blood above his right eye. "Good arm, but not much for humour, that one," he observes.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Marcus

Marcus begins to laugh, not surprising considdering the actions of the other recruits, and Phillipe begins to talk again. "Hey 'ook 'and, do it mean somethin' different on The stingray? The title firs-" Marcus stuffs his own flagon over the bird's head. "Ye be Quiet! He already said she don't much like birds. Ye think insultin' them will make them like ye better?"

The bird stays silent as it attempts to somehow remove it's new "hat", while Marcus resumes his laughter, and quietly mentions "I was actually thinkin' about askin' if she be the good type of brutal meself."
    Last edited by Hyozo; 2007-12-17 at 07:32 PM.
    Avatar by Vulion. Vectored by me.

6. - Top - End - #36

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos fells a bit of remorse at Lizzy leaving but soon replaces it with an eye on the coming brawl. While the hobgoblin is a big fella Karos quietly places a mental wager on the dwarf coming through in a wrestling match...that is if Thunk Chunk plays by the rules. But then on second thought the hobo doesn't exactly look like one to play by any rules. Either way it will be interesting.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Hmmm... a she it be, eh? I've never learned from a female before. Perhaps she can teach me a thing or two."

Ulfgar looks towards Thunk Chunk. "Is it a wrestling match ye want?" Ulfgar looks gleefully at Thunk Chunk. "For two pints of ale i will gladly pin ye to the ground"
    Ulfgar looks at his two empty flagons o ale longingly. Don't worry guys. You will be full soon enough Ulfgar sets his two mugs down next to Karos. "Keep an eye on these lad. Will ya?" Ulfgar then walks over to the brawling area waiting for Thunk Chunk to join him.
    Last edited by PocketRocket; 2007-12-18 at 07:40 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

The dwarf and the hobgoblin move away from the tables(so that no one else spills any ale). The other patrons which were standing around the open area chosen move away, seeing the look in the eyes of the combatants. They aren't used to brawls being so planned and orderly. Normally the fists start flying and THEN they move away from the tables.

Init :
    Spoiler
    Show

TC then US (1d20+3=8, 1d20+3=21)

Ulfgar gets to go first(unless he wants TC to get the first blow).

The first mate, who is watching intently, begins to clank out a slow drumbeat with his claw.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tennin:

...clears out of the way, and snags one of the pints that these bruisers left on the table, while they are distracted.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Once Thunk Chunk steps into the brawling area, Ulfgar instantly rushes at him and attempts to wrestle him to the ground.

Spoiler
    Show

No attack of opportunity.
    Melee touch attack:(1d20+7)[12]
    if touch attack succeeds, Grapple check:(1d20+11)[30]
    if grapple check succeeds, move into opponents space

Ulfgar slips up when trying to grab Thunk Chunk. Oh, wow! Hmmm... I knew i needed more ale in me. I never miss!!!

"Ha, Ha! Seems I slipped big guy. Lucky for you! Lets see what you've got in ya."
    Last edited by PocketRocket; 2007-12-18 at 09:05 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Grish

A half-orc in the far corner awakes... or more precisely, comes to... at the sound of the ruckus. His eyes try to focus for a bit, and then he sees the recruiting table.

"Damn me if I didn't nearly miss it!" He staggers over to the table, and weaves a little as he says to the half-elf, "still lookin' for some volunteers?"

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

The first mate is startled by the appearance of the Half-Orc bruiser. Turning to look him over, the First Mate says, "Aiy, we be lookin' fer volunteers, we be." The First Mate motions to the parchment with the names and says, "Make yer mark and join the fun, for we cast off with the morning tide."

The first mate looks around briefly for Lizzy to order the new guy a drink, but not seeing her, quickly forgets about it. The distraction aside, the first mate goes back to clanking out a battle rhythm(with his three pronged claw), and starts to increase the tempo.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-12-18 at 11:10 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Grish

The half-orc scrawls something barely legible on the roster, and then slumps back to the floor.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

14. - Top - End - #44

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos keeps a firm grip on the dwarfs two mugs but moves closer to get a good view of the action.

15. - Top - End - #45

Thunk Chunk

Thunk Chunk barely leans aside as the dwarf comes rocketing in at him. His eyes begin to smolder and all of his muscles start to quiver. Ulgar was saying something with a battle-eager grin on his face but everything faded to white noise around Thunk Chunk. From the depths of his being a great roar began to work it's way up his gullet and Thunk Chunk gave his mind over to the rage. Stepping towards the dwarf with his arms held high, Thunk Chunk yells his battlecry.

"CHUNK!!!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Thunk Chunk enters his rage, Str and Con +4 will saves +2 and AC -2
    Melee touch attack, provoking AoO - (1d20+8)[15]
    Grapple if touch succeeds and AoO misses - (1d20+8)[25]
    After that if all goes well Thunk Chunk moves into Ulgar's space. Ooo, misssed by 1

Thunk Chunk's wide sweep with his arms whips the air above the dwarf's head into a brief frenzy but not much else. The move has brought him too close to the dwarf, leaving Thunk Chunk open for a counterattack.
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-12-18 at 01:23 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ulgar laughs at the now raging Thunk Chunk and gracefully steps aside not bothering to hit him, even though he left himself wide open. After stepping aside Ulgar comes from behind and wraps his strong arms around Thunk Chunk's body.

Spoiler
    Show

Melee touch attack: (1d20+7)[12]
    Grapple check: (1d20+11)[12]
    move into Thunk Chunk's space, if all goes according to plan

Thunk Chunk wiggles his way from Ulgar's grasp. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON! WHY CAN'T I GRAB HIM!!!
    Shear frustration appears on Ulfgar's face. The frustration sobers him up quickly.
    Last edited by PocketRocket; 2007-12-18 at 11:13 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47

Thunk Chunk

Thunk Chunk whirles around, escaping from the dwarf's grip just long enough to roar into his face before reaching out to grab the nimble dwarf.

Spoiler
    Show
    8 rounds of raging left.
    Touch attack provoking AoO - (1d20+8)[20]
    Grapple if touch succeeds and no AoO - (1d20+8)[18]

"CHUUUNK!"

Thunk Chunk catches Ulgar on his shoulders and brings him towards his wide chest, meaning to crush and hold him if possible.
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-12-18 at 11:21 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ulfgar smiles at Thunk Chunk, allowing him to grab onto him. "Ha ha! Now you are mine!"
    Ulfgar now grappling with Thunk Chunk, throws him to the ground to pin him down.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pin Opponent: (1d20+11)[25]

19. - Top - End - #49

Thunk Chunk

Too encased in his rage, Thunk Chunk doesn't even notice the dwarf slip his hands and feet into postition for a trip, and finds himself jarring his head against the tavern floor.

"RAARGH! THUNK CHUNK WILL WIN!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Escape Pin - (1d20+8)[19]
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-12-19 at 01:55 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

WolfInSheepsClothing

On seeing the big hobgoblin go down, Karos mentally congratulates himself for picking the winner.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ha ha. The ale is mine, big guy," Ulfgar triumphantly states as Thunk Chunk weakly tries to escape his pin. "Just a few more seconds and you will be emptying your pockets."

Ulfgar flexs his powerful muscles and continues to hold the pin.

Spoiler
    Show
    pin opponent: (1d20+11)[31]

Ulgar lets out a victorious scream. "CHUUUNK!!! Oh. I guess thats your yell isn't it? HA HA!"

"Wench, the drinks are on the orange one!"
    Last edited by PocketRocket; 2007-12-19 at 08:48 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Thunk Chunk

Thunk Chunk heard the dwarf yell his, HIS, battlecry and all thoughts of the match flew from his head. As soon as the dwarf lets him up he stands tall and yells.

"NEVER USE ME BATTLECRY!"

He runs over to the nearest table and overturns it, sending the patrons around it scattering with curses flying off their lips. He pulls it above his head and stares at the dwarf who bested him. With a single grunt and a twist of his bulging muscles Thunk Chunk breaks the table, quite literally, in half.

Having achieved the destruction of something, he drops both ends of the table to the ground and lets the rage wash out of him. His shoulders slump ever so slightly as his burst of power fades but he squares himself and walks back to he dwarf.

"Aye, ya beat short stuff, ya be slippy like an eel an' strong too. I can respect that. But," he glares dangerously at the dwarf, eyes hard as steel, "I be only tellin' ya this once. Never, ever, use me battlecry again. It belongs to the tribe o' Chunkach, an' if ya be yellin' it again then we be fighting more than just a wrestlin' match."

He stares at the dwarf a second longer to make his point before barring his teeth and slapping him on the shoulder.

"Enough o' that now, let's get those drinks! Wench, four more over here!"

Thunk Chunk moves back to his seat, ignoring the hearty protests of the patrons whose table he destroyed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Break Something - (1d20+5)[23]
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-12-19 at 06:59 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

"Remind me to refer to gruel as 'hearty', will yeh?" Tulek asks those around him after hearing Thunk Chunk's rage at the use of the word "Chunk."

24. - Top - End - #54

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos makes his way to the dwarf and hands him back his two mugs, "Well fought, glad you'll be on are side."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Worm o' the Apple

As the night wears on, more and more of the crew begin passing out in the bar, leaning up against walls, drooped over tables, or just sprawled out flat on the floor. This makes walking about a bit treacherous especially if you are drunk too.

At closing time(sunrise), the First Mate, with the help of the wenches hauls all the passed out drunks out of the building and onto a number of carts which were waiting just outside.

The Docks

An hour or so after the cart convoy left the bar, the carts are unceremoniously dumped, leaving a pile of 'corpses' at the foot of a ramp. The act of being dumped wakes two of the crew and after struggling out'o the pile, the immediately get to work. The ramp leads from the dock up onto 'The Stingray'. She is indeed a caravel, move than 50 feet long, complete with forecastle and quarterdeck. She also has a visible hatch at the very front of the her length where she may conceal a cannon.

Any of the new crew that are conscious are singled out by the First Mate. Claw, as he is apparently called, says, "Ar. Mister Davies, show these here scalawags to da crew quarters." A young lad, maybe 17 or 18, but with the left side of his face scarred with burn marks, steps out of line. The rest of the crew has formed a line handing off supplies from one to the next to store in the hold.

Mr Davies leads the newcomers up the ramp and then towards the structure at the front of the ship. He says, "Yeh can sleep da Fo'c'sle or up here on deck." In between the two steep staircases which rise to the top of the structure is a small door which leads into it. Davies leads you into structure. He motions to several open bunkbeds and one open hammock. He adds, "Pick which yeh want." He then motions to the various footlockers in the room and says, "Lock yeh stuff up. Claw'll issue you a lock if'n yeh don't have one."

Davies turns to leave an says, "Welcome aboard. Yeh got maybe 5 minute before ole Claw'll be in here to put'cha to work. T'would be best to get out and join da crew 'fore that."

For now.. anyone passed out, it left alone... for now.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tennin

Tennin lugs himself up to the deck "Aye, this be a fine a place as any... Ah, the sea make fer a nice lullaby... Ar, what be ye orders, sir?" Tennin goes to work. He commands Aqua, who has been waiting at the docks, to hold himself against the rear of the ship.

Spoiler
    Show
    Profession: Sailor
    (1d20+4)[15]
    Last edited by jameswilliamogle; 2007-12-20 at 10:46 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Grish

Grish tosses his few spare possessions onto a top bunk, and then goes up to the deck to see about work.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Mr Davies mentions to Tennin, "You'll want to claim a bunk too, for sleep'n on deck'n be hazardous ina storm. You'll wanna stow your gear in the locker too. Don't want leave it lying on deck, it get in the way and a wave might just wash it overboard."

Plenty of work to be done. Even though the captain doesn't expect to be at sea for more than 2 weeks, the crew needs to load enough food and fresh water for at least a month(just in case).

Dry goods and kegs of various liquids are stored down in the hold. This requires hauling every keg and crate up the plank onto the ship, down two sets of very steep and narrow staircases to the hold. The ship's cook is down in the hold organizing the incoming goods and directing 'traffic'. Alcohol and most of the food is locked in the aft compartment. 20 caged chickens and 4 pigs put into the lower deck and 4 newly sheared sheep are tied up on the upper deck.

{{ Anyone with Stormwrack can reference their stock Caravel pp 98 until I can get The Stingray's actual layout posted(which will be close). }}

With everything on board, several of the crew stay below and tie down all of the provisions with nets. Once the provisions are stored, the crew makes busy hauling out the sails for the three masts and begin the long process of rigging the lines, hoisting the sails and all that.

Claw, no longer tolerant of their overindulgence, begins dumping anyone still asleep off the dock and into the sea. This wakes em up good and fast. One of the crewmen, a tall black skinned man with pointed ears, uses a lasso and then a long pole with a hook to haul each of them in turn out of the water and onto deck.

Claw then puts them to work on the ropes, pulling the sails up. Once the sails are up, the crewmembers up top hook the sails up to the existing lines and structure so they can be used to propel the ship. This takes a while and soon enough the lazy crew members are covered with sweat and have raw bleeding hands.

29. - Top - End - #59

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos having not drank much at all wakes up at the ship and moves on deck. He claims the hammock because he enjoys the movement on the open sea and he also gets a lock and locker to store his stuff. As soon as he is done he gets up on deck and sarts to work, at least for now enjoying the feel of ship work.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ulfgar, having drank a whole lot the night before, was rather tired the next day, however he is a dwarf so the alcohol did not affect him much. He woke up bright and early and made is way onto the ship. He claimed a bottom bunk (much easier for him to reach) and loks away his personal stash of dwarven ale in his locker. He rushes out to the deck and begins looking for things to lift and pull.