New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pirates of the Dragon Isles(IC)

Thunk Chunk

Thunk Chunk steps onto the ship and takes a deep breath of the early morning salt air. Nodding his pleasure at the fine morning he follows the boy down to the bunks and picks a bunk, preferring to avoid the hammock since his horrible hammock accident all those years ago...

Whipping his head to clear the memory he stores his equipment in his locker and goes back onto the deck to assist and greet the crew.

"I be Thunk Chunk, yeh can say me name but don't be usin' me battlecry! Good to be aboard."

He sets himself to any task that needs completion, his experience as a reaver making him an asset in getting the ship ready to set off.

Spoiler
    Show
    Profession Sailor - (1d20+5)[13]
    Avast! It be time to set off Yarrr!
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

Marcus will take one of the bunks and place his crossbow and flasks of alchemist's fire in the nearest footlocker. After doing this he climbs back onto the deck and helps to load supplies and ready the sails.

See other topic, it's a 10

In addition, if any of the ropes or sails Marcus is working with are frayed or torn, he'll cast mending on them, no point in having damaged equipment if you can avoid it.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Hyozo; 2007-12-20 at 05:51 PM.
    Avatar by Vulion. Vectored by me.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

{{ Tulek and Dorian pick bunks/etc }}

An hour or so passes and the ship is rigged for travel. The drunkards are again handed the job of hauling up the anchor while the rest of the crew loosen the moorings on the pier and eases the ship out to sea.

The captain, having gotten herself settled, wanders out onto deck and checks the progress. Seeing things running smoothly, she orders Claw, "Have a couple of the Recruits clean out the scuppers and then swab the decks."

She then climbs up to the quarterdeck and speaks with the navigator, "Quarter speed till we clear the bay, then full sail and make for The Turnip Narrows."

She wanders back down and watches the men scurry about then she heads her cabin, which is the far port aft cabin on the main deck(just under the quarterdeck on the left side). As she goes to open the door, she snaps back to Claw, "Get someone on the brightwork too."

Claw the orders Tulek, "Ar, to the scuppers with ya." Claw shows the man a 1" diameter drain hole in the deck and instructs him to clean it out and make sure there ain't no obstructions. Then he points around the deck to the 20+ other drain holes. The holes aren't overly clogged, but 3/4 are obstructed. It takes a good 10 minutes per hole on your hands and knees to get them clear. Once Tulek is working away, Claw adds, "When yur done, have that Hobgoblin swab the decks."

Claw then orders, Ulfgar, "Ar, grab a rag and get yer spit polish going. The Cap'n wants the brightwork cleaned up." Claw points around to all the tarnished door handles, hooks, and other metal items scattered around the deck. "She'll wanna see her face in'em by morning. Get to it. Oh, and don't forget the fo'cas'le and quarterdeck, there be more up there. Ar."

It takes the ship maybe 30 minutes to clear the protective bay of Newtown. Beyond that, the open seas. The winds pick up and the waves rock the ship quite a bit more than they did in the bay. At that point, the order is given to string up most of the sails. After a bit of a scramble, it is done and the ship accelerates out across the waves.
    This is my signature, there are others like it, but this one is mine.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

www.facebook.com/kyleglowacki

4. - Top - End - #64

WolfInSheepsClothing

After the orders are giving Karos busy's himself with whatever job he can find. After finishing he heads over to the dwarf and offers to help, "You but on a good show the other night...mind if I lend a hand?"
    The bunny's scared, the bunny's scared of you...shivering.
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ulfgar doesn't mind the meaningless task given to him. After being at the monastery for several years he has learned how to discipline himself no matter what is going on. Ulfgar gets to work making every piece of metal on the ship shine.

Ulfgar sees Karos coming over towards him. "Aye, thank ye lad. I do appreciate that you looked after me two steins. I will owe ye a drink some time. You want to help me with this, eh? Well I can't be turnin down an offer like that." Ulfgar throws Karos a rag and they get to work.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Grish

"Work, work, work..." grumbles the half-orc as he is put through his paces. "When does the looting and pillaging begin?"

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

7. - Top - End - #67

Thunk Chunk

Enjoying the sea air, Thunk Chunk doesn't even mind the meanial chores assigned to him. After helping to rig the lines and sails he looks over at the death cleric, and after a second gives a grunt.

"Pah! Here Tulec, I be helping ya with yer work. Can't swab the decks until these dumb holes are clean."

Spoiler
    Show
    Profession Sailor - (1d20+5)[18] Another one to speed the process perhaps?
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68

"Of course," Tulek says, bending to his hands and knees to clean each hole without much complaint; he spent the early portion of his life digging in half-frozen earth to burry rotting bodies in a rocky barrow. Cleaning the scuppers was hardly anythingto be upset about.
    Yeh've got me thanks," he says when Thunk Chunk arrives with his offer. "I'll be doing the same for you, o'course, when the swabbing comes."

Spoiler
    Show
    Profession:Sailor (1d20+3)[18]

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

The Stingray

The morning wears on as the crew do the various chores associated with keeping the vessel maintained. When the sun is high in the sky, the crew, except for the lookout, are called down to the Lower Deck, where lunch is 'served' amongst the pigs and chickens. Having just launched, the food is fresh and flavorful. The workers and laborers amongst the crew dine here, while the captain and her officers dine in the wardroom(one deck up and adjacent to the captain's quarters, starboard-aft).

The newcomers are each assigned one of the able bodied crew members as a mentor until they can get a grip on their exact place in the scheme of things. The crew is composed of about 20 deckhands and laborers and 10 officers.

After lunch, the recruits begin training on the various aspects of working the ship. {{ Anyone with a +5 modifier to profession sailor will be judged proficient and allowed to just get to work. }}

Late afternoon, the lookout reports a small vessel ahead and starboard. A cheer goes up amongst the crew. The captain races above decks and climbs the rigging to the crow's nest to get a better look. She then orders the navigator to adjust their course and intercept. She also orders Claw to make the crew ready for boarding.

Claw comes around and has every get their weapons from the crew quarters. He also orders the ropes and hooks be brought on deck as well as the boarding planks. He also has the crew double check the mast lines(which may be used to swing over to the other vessel).

"Ar! Make ready!" The Stingray is closing on the other vessel ever so slowly. It'll be full dark before the vessels are in range of each other. Everyone waits on the deck for the excitement to come and the cook comes around with tin cups of stew.

Claw gathers up the new recruits and says, "The Cap'n assigned you dreks to me. Ar orders be ta cut the tension lines fur da sails and drop anchor, to keep her from get'n 'way." Claw motions to the forecastle and says, "We be swinging over from the fo'c'stle to their bow. As we close on them, take cover from their archers. Any of you scabbers have bow or crossbow? You've been nominated to fire back."
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

10. - Top - End - #70

Marcus

Marcus concentrates for a moment, speaking incomprehensibly over a thin strip of leather. He then returns it to his component pouch, and tells Phillippe "Stay outa sight. Ye'r a porpoise, not a shark." If he has enough time to do so, he'll load his crossbow. He will then follow Claw's orders, ready to swing across when it is time to do so.

((casting Mage Armor. If he loads his crossbow or not depends on if there is enough time to do so before combat begins.))

11. - Top - End - #71

Thunk Chunk

Thunk Chunk readies his composite longbow, a massive bow built to accomodate his great strength.

"I be a fair shot, give me tha word an' I start loosing."

Spoiler
    Show
    Thunk Chunk readies his bow to attack once the ship closes to 330 ft, then he'll begin firing, taking the -4 penalty to attack. He'll keep firing, but ducking behind cover after each shot until it's time to swing across.

OOC: Edit to not do this.
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-12-21 at 08:39 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ulfgar
    HP 36/36
    AC 22 (Full Defense)
    Ulfgar positions himself out front so that he will have a perfect view of the incoming ship, and they will have a perfect view of him as well. "Ar! Let these so called archers try to hit ol' Ulfgar. I promise ye not an arrow will touch me. Any one wantin to be gettin behind me can do so. I'll supply ye wi' a plenty supply o' arrows from the enemy.

Ulfgar readys himself in a stance that will allow him to catch incoming missles.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feat: Snatch Arrows. Once per round, Ulfgar will catch 1 arrow that would normally hit him.
    Ulfgar will be going into full defense
    When the ship comes within shouting distance, Ulfgar will begin to yell out insults to attempt to goad the enemy into attacking him.

13. - Top - End - #73

WolfInSheepsClothing

Karos
    HP: 22/22
    AC: 19

Karos will step behind and to the side of the dwarf taking him up on his offer. He will notch one arrow at ready and have another ready to go waiting to fire when either he gets an order to or the other boat starts firing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Two attacks with rapid fire
    Attack 1:(1d20+6)[25]
    Attack 2:(1d20+6)[25]

Damage 1:(1d8+4)[5]
    Damage 2:(1d8+4)[11]
    And you've got these f***ing claws and these fangs man And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs and you're thinking, you're thinking to yourself, I dont know what to do man....I don't know how to kill the bunny With this you don't know how to kill the bunny

14. - Top - End - #74

Thunk Chunk

"Hmm... lost me thought there."

HP: 48/48 AC: 18
    [spoiler]Thunk Chunk will fire at the first caster or ranged fighter he sees as soon as the ships come within range of each other.

Attack - (1d20+7)[16]
    Damage - (1d8+3)[9]
    Crit Confirm if needed - (1d20+7)[11][spoiler]
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-12-21 at 08:40 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75

"I'm no good with a bow, but yeh'll be seeing my usefulness when we board," Tulek promises. "You'll handle the hurt, I hope, Tennin? Nerull's much for healing."

Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 27/27
    AC: 20 (Total Defense)
    Spells Memorized:
    0: Create Water x4
    1: Cause Fear, Summon Undead 1 x2, Chill of the Grave
    2: Desecrate, Invisibility

16. - Top - End - #76

Marcus

As soon as The Stingray is within 240 feet of the other ship, Marcus will fire at the first archer he sees.

attack - (1d20+2)[13]
    damage - (1d10)[2]

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

The Stringray slowly closes the gap between the two ships. The speed difference only allows for about 2 ship lengths per minute of closure.

At about the 4-5 ship length distance, a group lead by the captain fires some flaming arrows at the sails of the ship. Several hit and start small fires. Their crew starts rushing around with buckets to put out the flames. The ship is flying the flag of 'County Estudoor', a yellow and black checkerboard with the profile a red griffon in the middle.

Shortly there after enemy archers and spell casters start firing from behind crates and other cover. For 30 seconds, a fierce barrage of arrows stream back and forth between the ships. Karos manages 10 hits(for a total of 89 damage), firing two arrows per round. Thunk Chunk manages 4 solid hits(for 27 damage) with his bow. Marcus and Dorian both manage to hit two of the opposition(dealing 17 and 13 damage respectively), while Tennin missed on every shot.

The enemy archers withdraw or are dead from this deadly attack. Their attack on The Stingray left one crewman dead(a short skinny fellow with one gold tooth). Karos dodges two of the incoming arrows but it hit by one(for 3 damage). Ulfgar nearly grabs one arrow, but it isn't quite close enough to hit him. Thunk Chunk has two arrows bounce off his armor. Tennin is nearly hit by an arrow and Dorian is hit by a stray arrow(for 7 damage).

Suddenly a handsome fellow appears on the other ship. Before he can even begin casting his spell, 3 magic missiles streak from the Captain across the sea and strike the fellow, disrupting the spell he was preparing. Karos and Thunk Chuck fire at him as well, Karos's arrow misses, striking the mast instead. Thunk Chuck's arrow strikes the fellow in the eye, causing him to instantly collapse to the ground(critical for 27 damage).

{{ Three rounds to drop your bows, draw your swords, cast spells, and grab the lines to swing over. }}

The Stingray begins to pull up along side the ship, which you can now see is named, "The Silver Spoon". The opposing crew are hiding and peaking out from doorways and hatches ready to repel the pirates once the ship is boarded.

{{ Let me know what you intend to do in the last moments before the boarding(cast mage armor, etc). Roll initiative and either a tumble(DC 15) or balance check(DC 15) to stick your landing, or you end up on your butt.

I'll post the battle map in bit, but you won't really get to choose where the rope dumps you. At this point we'll switch to round by round as opposed to the accelerated 6+ rounds above.}}
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-12-22 at 10:06 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[19] Balance. Mace drawn in the last few rounds.
    Last edited by VeisuItaTyhjyys; 2007-12-22 at 12:58 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tennin

"Aye-aye, sir!"

Tennin will continue firing as necessary (MW Light XBow), and if any crew fall into the drink he'll command aqua to gather them up and to afix them to our rigging.

20. - Top - End - #80

Landing safely on his feet, Tulek looks around himself and, his void becoming low and formal, bellows "In the name of the skeletal hand which drags men beneath the soil and sea in its claws, I declare its grasp upon this place, Nerull's desecrated altar at my very feet."

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Desecrate, for my first round on the ship.

21. - Top - End - #81

WolfInSheepsClothing

With three more rounds Karos will continue to fire his bow, unless the captain seems to have a problem with him remaining on the ship and firing over into the fray he wil stay aboard the Stingray.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+4)[14]
    Three rounds of attack...he will focus on anyone who has a ranged attack or a spellcaster. (On the last round if he is within 30ft of someone he gets +1 to attack and damage)
    Round 1
    Attack 1:(1d20+6)[26] Damage:(1d8+4)[6]
    Attack 2:(1d20+6)[24] Damage:(1d8+4)[5]
    Round 2
    Attack 1:(1d20+6)[14] Damage:(1d8+4)[6]
    Attack 2:(1d20+6)[18] Damage:(1d8+4)[9]
    Round 3
    Attack 1:(1d20+6)[26] Damage:(1d8+4)[12]
    Attack 2:(1d20+6)[17] Damage:(1d8+4)[11]
    Last edited by bchilders; 2007-12-22 at 04:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show
    Two critical confirmations
    Attack:(1d20+6)[26]
    Damage:(2d8+8)[20]

Attack:(1d20+6)[23]
    Damage:(2d8+8)[18]

23. - Top - End - #83

Thunk Chunk

Thunk Chunk roars with laughter as several arrows glance harmlessly off of his breastplate. A savage grin crosses his face as his arrow pierces the caster's eye.

"That'll teach 'im!"

As the ships begin to close on each other Thunk Chunk fires two more arrows into the victim ship's crew, then holsters his bow and draws his huge sword.

"Yar, alright ya dogs," he calls over at the other ship, "Yer blood belongs to me!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Thunk Chunk fires two arrows at the strongest looking foes on the other ship then draws his weapon and swings over to the other side.

Attack 1 - (1d20+7)[21]
    Damage 1 - (1d8+3)[7]
    Attack 2 - (1d20+7)[15]
    Damage 2 - (1d8+3)[8]

Balance - (1d20+3)[12]
    Initiative - (1d20+3)[16]
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84

Spoiler
    Show
    Iniative, Indeed! (1d20+2)[13]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ulfgar begins to run towards the ropes to swing himself over to the other ship. "Ye be in fer a fight laddies. Watch out for the fists of Ulfgar!"

Spoiler
    Show

initiative: (1d20+3)[15]
    Balance: (1d20+9)[16]
    if Ulfgar loses balance he will tumble out of it: (1d20+9)[12]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

The Stingray

Everyone prepares themselves for the impending battle. Tulek casts a spell upon their deck(once its in range). Karos and Thunk Chuck both search in vain for a targets to fire at, but everyone is hiding below decks to avoid being killed.

In the last moments before the ships close the final gap, the Captain waves her hand and a group of deckhands, including Mr. Davies, flips a pair of planks(with nasty looking hooks on the end) across the gap between the ships. Almost immediately 4 of the officers rush across the gap.

At that moment Claw gives the word for everyone to swing across. Once everyone by Karos has gone he says, "What you waiting for lad? We can't cut down the sails and drop anchor from here." He stuffs a rope into Karos' hand and roughly shoves the elf over the side. Hang on and swing across or fall into the warm ocean. Its all up to Karos now.

Obviously not used to the whole swinging across thing, only Ulfgar and Tulek manage to stick the landing and everyone else ends up on the butt, but across the gap.

Almost as if they'd planned it, the merchant crew rushes above deck to repel the invaders. Captain Attripica swings across to the merchant ship, landing on their quarterdeck and pronounces, "This raiding party brought to you by Cap'n Trip." She stands in a wide stance with her hands on her hips, her long hair blowing in the breeze and a wide grin on her face.

Map :
    Spoiler
    Show

(This now works.. I think)
    Map

Marcus(M)
    Grish(G)
    Dorian(D)
    Ulfgar(U)
    Karos(K)
    Thunk Chunk(C)
    Tulek(T)
    Tennin(N)
    Your Captain(A)
    Friendly Crew(F1, F2, ...)
    Enemy Crew(E1, E2, ...)

Goal :
    Spoiler
    Show

Obviously staying alive is important, but the captain's orders were to drop anchor and cut the sail lines. Dropping the anchor is standard action requiring a DC 15 strength check(up to 4 people can work together provided they are all adjacent to {N3}. Cutting the sails downs requires a slashing weapon attack dealing 4 damage(rope is AC 5). Their are 6 sail lines which need to be cut and are at locations : {J6}, {J10}, {J12}, {N6}, {N10}, {N12}
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-12-24 at 06:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show
    I can't see the map but I'll give you my checks to see if I swing across
    Balance:(1d20+11)[14]
    Tumble:(1d20+9)[29]

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Faced with the choice of sink swing or swim, Karos chooses wisely and holds the rope as he swings across. His landing isn't perfect and he joins 5 of the 7 other recruits on their behinds.

{EDIT}

As the team gets its bearings and begin to pull themselves out of the pile of bodies that they find themselves in, three burly sailors pour up out of the hold to kill any pirates they can get their hands on. These guys have guts, going into battle in little more than normal clothing or maybe a leather vest. The first three(E1,E2,E3) all wield heavy wooden clubs made from a grey-black wood.

The team also sees four more of the opposition crew(E4, E5, E6, E7) rush out cabins under the quarterdeck. Two of them(E4 and E5), wear blue cloaks over chainmail and wield long swords and spiked bucklers. The starboard one(E7), wears studded leather and wields a greatsword. The last one out of the door(E6), a young woman with blonde hair and a gold tiara wears a long black cloak about her and has no visible weapon.

The four friendly raiders(F1, F2, F3, F4) which the captain sent into battle wear studded leather and fight with rapier. Everyone saw the captain cast 'Cats Grace' on Jusin(F1) and Errow(F2) in the couple rounds just before the boarding action began.

The first mate, "Claw" is upon the forecastle, ready to swing over, now that he got all of the recruits over to the ship.
    Last edited by lawful_evil; 2007-12-23 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Added Foe Description

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ulfgar
    HP 36/36
    AC 16

Ulfgar sees three crew members from the other ship pop out right in front of where he landed. "Wrong move laddies. Time to feel me fists!"

Ulfgar swings at the enemy in front of him with both of his fists.

Spoiler
    Show
    Flurry of blows
    attack 1:(1d20+4)[18]
    attack 2:(1d20+4)[14]

damage 1:(1d6+4)[6]
    damage 1:(1d6+4)[8]

30. - Top - End - #90

Thunk Chunk

Rage: 7 rounds left
    HP: 56
    AC: 16

Thunk Chunk grins at the foes nearest to him and spits on the planks next to his feet.

"I'll just be a moment boys!"

Fire springing up into his eyes, he runs over to the anchor heaves on the huge chunk of iron. He manages to heft the anchor above his head and, roaring, dunks it into the ocean. He turns to the now blurred forms around him and roars at the three closest.

"CHUUUNK!!!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action through Tulek's space and over to M3, then a free action to Rage, and a standard action to try to push the anchor over the side.

Str check - (1d20+5)[15]

I really hope one of these merchants tries to taunt Thunk Chunk, oh I really do
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2007-12-24 at 02:25 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show