New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Contact Lost

1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Contact Lost

Just as the private takes off, the ship lurches and throws him and Chevy off their feet. The pair go flying down the corridor towards a bulkhead...

"Warning, impact imminent!"
    "No kidding, Big Joe!" Hudson says to his armor's computer.

[OOC]
    Reflex Save vs Wall: 1d20+3 = 10, + 1d6 = 6 Action Point
    Fortitude Save for G-Forces: 1d20+7 = 9

Damage (physical): 11 points - 5 (Dmg Reduction) = 6
    Damage (subdual): 16 pts
    Total: 24 (still on his feet but not for long!)
    [/OOC]

Hudson lashes out towards a door frame trying to catch himself but his fingers slip after leaving gouges in the frame. He twists in the air and tucks his hands and feet in towards his chest so his back hits first, landing hard on the bulkhead, smacking his head on an exposed pipe and giving him a concussion. The marine tastes blood as he bites his tongue. The heavy impact rattles his bones but they remain whole, impact polymers woven around his skeleton absorbing kinetic energy.

With the wind knocked out of him, Cheveyo huddles down where the bulkhead meets the deck and assumes the crash position (so when the deceleration stops he won't fall over). As Chevy passes out from the severe deceleration, his suit performs an internal diagnostics check of both itself and its wearer before squawking its nanobeacon, signaling a distress code.
    Last edited by Elvith Jars; 2008-03-20 at 03:50 PM.
    My 3D art page: Contact Lost

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    @Storm Bringer: Normal ships have safeguards on them to prevent this. The induction engines power down slowly as gravity shift back in place (even if destroyed it's set up so the gravity field buffers the deceleration). This being an experimental design in which a kind of miniature black hole is used evidently lacks the security feature...or at least it was disabled or didn't quite work as expected at such incredible G-forces. Evidently the designers didn't expect sabotage or such major emergencies and the implementation on your ship was a rush job.

Also remember most of the crew is in escape pods or sitting elsewhere strapped in, they'd suffer less actual damage. Don't expect too many deaths, but expect a few. Your damage came from less then optimal positions, running around etc...

The world has faded to darkness for all...perception of time and place, gone. With no reference expect the feeble dreaming of the subconscious the minds of the crew wandered...until their eyes opened anew.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    yes the fail saves eventually seem to have kicked in due to Sterns action (or something else...to be frank not all gravity disappeared, but a good chunk did). Enough to prevent a crushing death, but not fast enough to prevent unconsciousness

Chapter 2: Unknown

date...unknown...Location...unknown......status... unknown

As some of the crew and officers are gaining consciousness the ship is hued in a ghostly darkness. Passed out personnel and debris from objects not bolted to the hull is scattered throughout and only a few diodes and other instrumental lights are providing a shadowy red, blue or green illumination of a few places. Most of these warning lights indicating a lack of certain functions, either due to power loss or system damage.

Still the ship is quiet and for the time being no imminent dangers seem to have arisen. The question now was...where were they and what was the extend of the damage.

OOC: You all have recovered all sub dual damage and are conscious, but are sore and aching all over. The hallucinogens have worn off.
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-03-23 at 07:59 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

---Melern---

Ensign Melern wakes slowly groaning of the strange position he fell asleep i the night before.

"Musta been some kinda party."

Trying to open his eyes he finds them nearly gummed together. Lifting his left hand to wipeaway whatever is on his face he unintentionally scraps his wrist across his nose.

"AAAAaaahghgh!! What the h#ll?"

Suddenly he remembers his last few moments of conciousness...

"Oh Sh@t."

He begins standnig and realizes as he collapses that his right arm might be broken since it won't support his weight.

Ok Melern you can do this get up and sound an alert. Get everyone moving to fix this. So far at least some must still be alive.

Again attempting to stand Zell sees for the first time the extent of the bridge damage and the bodies strewn about. Nudging the marine who fell on/next to him with no response Zell determines to check the man(?) after he gets the alert going.

Staggering over to the comm's station Zell taps in the code for a general alert to sound then tries to bring up the private commo lines again.

"This is ensign Melern. Can anyone here me? Report. I need to get a general status of all ship systems. I want to know who's alive and who didn't make it. LCDR Stern are you awake?"

Zell keeps running a similar vocal until he starts getting voices. As he talks he grabs a first aid kit off the station and starts checking everyones vitals on the bridge. ((ooc: Zell is specifically looking for Ensign St Clair but will assist everyone he comes across))

Spoiler
    Show
    Treat Injury(1d20+1)[21]
    Treat Injury(1d20+1)[16]
    Treat Injury(1d20+1)[18]
    Let me know if I need more rolls, I will start taking 20's.
    Last edited by Dustyme; 2008-03-23 at 12:56 PM.
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contact Lost – Zell Melern
    Eberron:TC - Gander Qien
    Into the Breach - Jaxal Pralest
    Familiar - Toby the Cat
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Slaw Nadier
    Greyhawk Adventures - Bonepicker

Imagination is my way to escape your reality!
    -------------------------------------------
    To much DMing and not enough play makes a DM something something...

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

“Come in,” the Commodore said, and Cheveyo stepped into his meeting area. He stood with his legs about shoulder width apart, his hand neatly clasped behind his lower back, and faced the Commodore straight and true.

“Sir, you wanted to see me?”

“Yes Sergeant, how are you holding up in your new position?”

“Sir, the previous platoon sergeant left quite a… paperwork challenge for me to overcome, but I’m getting there.”

“Glad you’re keeping busy. I’ve been looking over your service record, Sergeant, very impressive. Enlisted into the USMC at 18, joined US Marine Special Forces as a Mechanized Scout Sniper at 19, and you’ve been to several ports of call in the Solar System. You’ve seen quite a bit of action. Most of your record is classified, some of it even beyond my clearance level. Aside from your court marshal and demotion to Corporal for ‘striking a superior a$$hole’ four months ago, your service record is exemplary. You would’ve made Staff Sergeant by now if you hadn’t done that.”

“Yes Sir,” Hudson replied, trying not to bristle at his remark.

“Well, I’m sure he had it coming. So, tell me Sergeant, why would a highly trained MSF operative have his rank reinstated and abruptly ordered to report aboard the Radiant with his partner moments before she set sail, only to take a Platoon Sergeant slot? And why would Vasquez be given another administrative job? Don’t you think that’s a waste of talent?”

“Permission to speak freely Sir?”

“Of course.”

“Sir. I do think it’s a waste of talent and taxpayer money. I gather from the platoon though that my predecessor wasn’t well liked. Perhaps this is part of my ongoing punishment?”

“Punishment? Hah. I guess you could see it that way. I trust you’ll not have any more ‘superior a$$holes’ to knock down a notch while you’re on my ship? The Marines like you better than the other guy, but that’s just a bonus. You both took desk jobs because that was the only way I could get you and Vasquez aboard on such short notice, and I had to call in a few favors just to do that. You’re here, son, because I need your special talents. Have a seat and I'll brief y- Is that your dog?"

Cheveyo looked to where the Commodore was pointing. A large timber wolf with piercing silver eyes stared at Hudson, looking right to his soul. It barked once, loudly...

Hudson woke up with a start to the thundering silence aboard ship, an odd feeling of shifting from one vivid reality to the next creeping over him. “F*ck, that almost seemed real,” he said to no one in particular. He took stock of his condition, mentally commanded his Apache Somatic Combat Vehicle to run diagnostics and replenish its air supply via filtered outside air (assuming he's not in vacuum), gave himself a painkiller to dull his raging headache, then tried to call up the ship’s computer. Then he remembered he had Marines counting on him to lead.

In Athabascan:
    Spoiler
    Show

“Wolf, remind me to kick Coyote’s ass next time I see him. LT Winters didn’t deserve what he got.”

Chevy sighed, then flipped on Marine Command, tying it into the command channel the bridge officers were using.

“Hudson here, Ensign, checking in on my marines. Squad leads, sound off! The squids need to see that we’re large and in charge, so get to it. Anybody able to render first-aid just became medics. Tend to your casualties, but get your guys up and running ASAP. We are g*damn pillars of strength, let the squids see that and help ‘em get back on their feet.”

"If pain is weakness leaving the body," Brown chimed in groggily, "then we must all be pathetic!"

Chevy begins doing the same thing he ordered others to do, getting the Radiant’s crew up and running, performing triage as needed. He also squawks Vasquez’s health alert to see how she’s doing.

OOC: Take 20 on Treat Injury, total 34, using his med kits or the ship's as needed.
    Last edited by Elvith Jars; 2008-03-23 at 01:21 PM.
    My 3D art page: Contact Lost

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Stern wakes up seeing stars. After a momentary panic, he realizes they're the metaphorical/illusory stars you see when you get hit on the head, and he has not in fact wound up in space.

"I'm...ow...I'm awake. Status...status reports from all sections. What's the status on the reactor? Are there any casualties? Where...what's our position?"

I'm alive. Holy hell, I'm actually alive. Stern very briefly barks a laugh in relief and surprise before regaining his composure, standing up and holding a hand over the gash on his forehead.

Keying up the status of the reactor and other engineering systems himself, assuming his console works, he begins to rattle off his orders in a more assertive fashion. "Alright, I want a full roll call of every single person on board: who's alive, who needs medical attention, who was evacuated, and who's KIA. I want a full diagnostic of all systems that may have been damaged, and I want a report on our position, speed, and heading immediately. We're alive, and I want to thank everyone aboard for their work in that, but we may not be out of the woods yet."
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-03-23 at 01:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

the comm is full of groaning for few seconds, before Andrews ever-destictive voice is heard.++Cl....Clyne here. Still alive, and thoughly regretting it. thiers power here, so the reactor appears to be working. As soon as i have more info on the reactor, i'll pass it on.++ Andrew had been facing the ships bow when the ship deceleration began, so his nose was bust, he had heavy bruising all down his front, and he was reasonable sure he'd suffered interal bleeding at some point in his unconsiousnes. he began to wriggle his way out of the crawlspace, with the intention of finding out the reactors status.
    Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an` Tommy, 'ow's yer soul? "
    But it's " Thin red line of 'eroes " when the drums begin to roll
    The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
    O it's " Thin red line of 'eroes, " when the drums begin to roll.

"Tommy", Rudyard Kipling

7. - Top - End - #157

Alfred

Under Ensign Melern care Ensign St. Clair, comes around, "Did someone get the name of that truck?" All things considered it was a rather mellow response, but that was the pain meds talking. Given the numerous broken bones he wouldn't be moving under his own power for a while. At least not without a trip to the medbay.

While his body was kind of broken his mind still worked and he still had his cyberlink to the computer. Once he recovered he initated two things in the computer system. First he used the commodore's code to reset the commodore's code, and set up warning if someone tries the old code. The he initiated a full diagnostic of all the system that the computer system could run a diagnostic on. Starting with the critical and working outward.

Spoiler
    Show

Take a 20 on the computer tasks for a 31

Hearing Stern's order St. Clair reports in using a secure line (if possible). "I have the computer system running a full scan and test of of all linked system. I'll let you know once it is done. Also fearing that the assassin might have help, I have reencrypted the commodore's code. As of right now I am the only one that can use it, and any attempt to use the old one will set off a silent alarm. I assume you will be wanting the new code?" What he didn't say, but assumed was that Stern would be locking him out soon as well. Ensigns were not suppose to have that kind of power, and being GIFTED it was unlikly he would be trusted with anything higher

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Very good Ensign," Stern replies, heavily dropping into his seat. "Yes, send me the new codes immediately, and give me a full status report on the computer system when you have it."
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

---Melern---

"Sir, although we believe that everything is 100% secure. However, maybe we should hand deliver the codes? We also don't know what kind of back doors may have been setu in the time tey were missing..."

As more personnel get back online Zell tasks them out between helping others, organizing relief and fixing the ship. Rather than burden Stern with all the B.S. Ensign Melern handles the bits & pieces while giving the big stuff to Stern as ell as any status reports necessary ((KIA, wounded (by general severity), missing, systems info, etc)).

Zell also keeps a running tally on is wrist comp., Checking his wrist comp against the ships systems.

After the initial rush is done Zell attempts to verify ship location and time lost during the blackout as well as prepare a emergency beacon to repeat a assistance needed broadcast (not releasing it just preping it with proper info.)
    He then relays everthing over the command channel the LCDR Stern.
    Last edited by Dustyme; 2008-03-23 at 11:39 PM.
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contact Lost – Zell Melern
    Eberron:TC - Gander Qien
    Into the Breach - Jaxal Pralest
    Familiar - Toby the Cat
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Slaw Nadier
    Greyhawk Adventures - Bonepicker

Imagination is my way to escape your reality!
    -------------------------------------------
    To much DMing and not enough play makes a DM something something...

10. - Top - End - #160

((OOC: placeholder for a GM updated post...hopefully comming again some time in the coming 12-18 hours. Been ill and then down with lots of work and exams...sorry for the delay))