Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 160

Thread: Contact Lost

  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Storm Bringer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kendal, england
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    ooc:
    Spoiler
    Show

    Nah, Kazuma's a flag officer. He runs the squadron, looks at the bigger picture. etc. Stern is the ships commanding officer, and is responsible for her day to day running and combat..

    It's you're ship, and Kazuma's just Hitchin a ride.

    I;ve got to run, so forgive the lack of formatting in this post. I'll clean it up later.


    "aye, sir" Andrew nodded, then punched in a few commands, and the ever present hum of the ships generator changed slightly. The ship eased forewords quite smoothly. Andrew checked he was clear of the station and that their was nothing between the ship and Eris. Thankfully, the geometry of the flight was very simple, as the Neptune yards were on the outward side of Neptune, meaning that all he had to do was point the ship straight at eris and light up her engines.

    "Redirectors engaged, we're off. She’s still pretty nimble, that extra armour hasn't slowed her too much at all." Andrew noted as he watched the ships velocity climb steadily higher. He wondered how fast she could go when the engines were perfected. He confirmed their was not any traffic ahead, opened the throttle to a tad over 2/3rds rated max. The midshipman in the co-pilots seat, a African lady, read out of the Radiant's speed, in a tone of surprise. "Speed is 150KPS. Already? Man, this ship can shift"

    Andrew ignored the middy, keeping his eyes on the controls and adjusting the drive dynamics as needed to keep the course steady. The ship was a bit heavy forwards, presumably due to the faulty manoeuvring thrusters he noted earlier. Otherwise, she was handling fine, despite the addition of several thousand tons of heavy armour and accompanying changes in balance. Someone had obviously spent a lot of time locating the ship’s centre of gravity and feeding it into the manoeuvring computers.

    “Speed is…..350kps, still climbing” the Middy reported. That was the normal cruising speed for most ships, but they were just getting started. A few moments later, she said “374kps, we’ve just broken our old speed record”


    Andrew nodded. “Let’s give it a bit more power” he muttered, opening the throttle to 89%. The speed readout rose faster. 500...600…700…750, the fastest any of TASC’s courier ships had ever done….800…900…

    One of the crewmen at the engineering consoles cleared his throat. “we’re getting some power flux in the rear starboard coils…..nothing serious yet, but it’s growing.”

    Andrew eased off the throttle to 85%. “that’s better, the flux is dropping.” The crewman replied.
    “1000kps” the co-pilot reeled off.

    Ladies and gentlemen, we are now officially the fastest moving object in the solar system” Andrew announced with a smile.

    “What about the Solaris?” some wag asked

    “The Solaris is currently in dock, not moving much at all”

    “1100kps”

    “The flux is growing again. Trying to pin down what causing it” the engineer reported

    “Tell us when you know, or when it’s gets serious”
    Andrew told him

    “1250”

    “How fast can this thing go?” on the sensor techs asked

    Andy shrugged “Dunno.”

    “What do you mean you don’t know?” the tech asked, astonished

    “How many gravity redirector ships are in service?”
    Andrew asked,. Not looking at the tech, but at the read outs

    “ummmm…..” the tech said.

    “4. This one, the solaris, and the two zephyr test ships. I’ve never flown any of them, and most of the data on them is classified above the heads of everyone on this ship save perhaps the commodore. I really do not know what speed this thing tops out at. They got the zephyr’s up to 2000kps on some of the runs.”



    “1500kps”

    “you might want to ease of on the gas a bit, sir, this flux is growing steadily”
    the engineer advised.

    “roger, crewman, dropping to 68%.” Andrew replied. “that help?”

    “A little…..no, still rising, we are gonna have to cut power if we don’t want an overload”


    “fair enough, cutting accel and switching to cruise.”
    Andrew flicked several switches and commanded. “ship is on auto. What’s our speed?”

    “1,740 kps” the African replied.

    Andrew whistled, then turned to the man in the navigator’s seat. “What’s the ETA to our destination?”

    “um…..last waypoint is about 20 days away” he replied. His display didn’t actually say he was heading to Eris, just giving him a arbitrary point in space relative to the ship. However, anybody qualified to sit in the navi’s seat could work out where that point was in about 30 seconds. Andrew wondered idly how long it would take for word to get around the crew.
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2008-01-10 at 04:06 AM.
    Avatar by sparkey477.

    Coming outta nowhere, dropping like rain,
    Stormbringer dance on the thunder agian!
    Dark clouds gathering, breaking the day,
    No point running, 'cos he's coming your way!

    Rock the rainbow, Rock the Sky!
    Stormbringer comming, Time to Die!

    Deep purple, Stormbringer.

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    From one of the engineering stations Alfred checked over all the safety and engineering alerts, making sure they were set properly. Then he when back and set up some private alerts, at levels below the official ones. That way he would know about a problem before it 'officially' became a problem and could already be working it.


    Spoiler
    Show
    Computer use roll (1d20+11)[17]

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    Ensign Melern carefully logged everything into a series of classified files that occured including the data from the fluxes and bits he recieved from other departments during the initial takeoff knowing that not only would the engineers back on earth want all this information when the command allowed proper declassification but that history would watch what happened with this voyage under a microscope perhaps sooner than anyone would like.

    As the Radiant leaves the station he and his crewman monitored all comm channels giving and recieving the various verification codes and monitoring activity around and through the ship.

    "Sir, orbital station reports clear and calm out to their limit. Station Commander sends his regards."

    Tightening up the data package as it continues to collect information he awaits clearance from the LCDR to send it.

    Feeling the thrum of the engines beneath his feet and the artificial gravity gently pulling him down Zell decides the first thing he's gonna do after the game is find the sweet spot on the ship. He knows that there, where the gravity is weakest and less distracting he can go meditate about his new position and this unusual mission.

    muttering to himself "Hopefully its not in the middle of some latrine..."
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contact Lost – Zell Melern
    Eberron:TC - Gander Qien
    Into the Breach - Jaxal Pralest
    Familiar - Toby the Cat
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Slaw Nadier
    Greyhawk Adventures - Bonepicker

    Imagination is my way to escape your reality!
    -------------------------------------------
    To much DMing and not enough play makes a DM something something...

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    on a magical coathanger

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    The search for the Solaris

    The ship speeds through the solar system at an unprecedented rate over the coming 18 days and the TAS Archipello is easily overhauled. The light carrier is speeding towards Eris station just like you and though it's been scanning continually has heard little more then white noise. The engine has some minor initial troubles, but seems to be holding just fine, and the crew didn't seem to know or care they were heading into the direction of Eris.

    The commodore orders the Radiant to proceed without her, being less then two days away from their destination. Though initially the Radiant proceeded as before, after several hours it becomes more and more clear that signals are hidden in the white noise, as the seeming static on some of the channels is increasing.

    Running a normal comms check Esign Mellern suddenly picks up on what seems to be a TAS transmission comming from Eris. It's highly encrypted and seems immensely fragmented.

    Almost immediately after the message is received the ships engines start to drop their output as the Radiant slowly fades to black...
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-01-13 at 03:02 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    Ensign Melern taps out the sequence for a secure private tri line to the Commodore and LDCR Stern.

    "Commodore, I'm getting a broken transmission from Eris possibly TAS. It’s a priority Alpha 3 encryption. Working on it now to boost the signal and decrypt."

    Spoiler
    Show
    Computer Use for boost (1d20+6)[10]
    Computer Use for decryption (If needed) (1d20+6)[16]


    "Here’s the feel now Sir."
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contact Lost – Zell Melern
    Eberron:TC - Gander Qien
    Into the Breach - Jaxal Pralest
    Familiar - Toby the Cat
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Slaw Nadier
    Greyhawk Adventures - Bonepicker

    Imagination is my way to escape your reality!
    -------------------------------------------
    To much DMing and not enough play makes a DM something something...

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nerd-o-rama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In AMERICA!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    "Put it thr--belay that, we're losing power," Stern interrupts himself.

    He puts the internal communications to good use, cycling through the needed channels."Engineering, what's the situation with the engines? All hands, emergency stations. Raising shields."

    Stern runs several quick diagnostics from his console, attempting to formulate a plan to deal with the situation.

    Plan (1d20 3=7) (Requires one minute, has no effect if I interrupt it to start acting before then. Actually, looks like it won't have an effect anyway.)

    ((Actually, I'm not sure if the final version of the ship still has shields. If it does, and we haven't lost power completely, I'm raising them.))
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-01-14 at 03:06 AM.
    Let's Play Super Robot Wars Alpha


    Spoiler
    Show

    Character avatar of Rin is courtesy of Maestro.
    Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Signum Zeichen Nachtgott by Tengu
    SOS Banner by Gorbash Kazdar

    AIM: Nerdorama09

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    on a magical coathanger

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    As the power fades it becomes clear the out put is fast approaching zero and auxiliary systems are beginning to show warning lights, urging engineers to switch them on if so ordered. The display hub on the bridge does however start to crackle with the scattered remnants of the encrypted message. Though the encoding is not entirely broken, some form of message is in there.

    Amids heavy static a view of a TAS official can be seen, with what seems to be the backdrop of an earth alliance ship. The logo of the Solaris, a prismatic sunrise with the word solaris under it, can just be made out on the rear wall.

    "T******laris****porting crit**l**ama**. Request im*********xta******. Eris new horizon ***ject*********. Catastr**ic*conce***************"

    The message turns into heavy static on audio and visual band and a moment later the display on the bridge loses power. Surely an engineering response is needed.

    ((oh, btw... the OOC thread (been up a while) ishere))
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-01-14 at 04:00 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Storm Bringer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kendal, england
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    Andrew was in the ships hanger bay at the time main power began failing, discussing with one of his pilots about the diagnostics of DSH-130, one of the hermes dropships, nicknamed the dish due to it's Indent code.

    "what the....." he said as the gravtic plates suddenly kicked up to a G and a half before dropping to about 0.6G. making his way over to the nearest computer console andrew managed to get a reading on the main engine dropping output just before the terminal lost power. the Lights started to flicker, and the emergence lighting started to come on (thank god for batteries)

    "main power is failing......check the dish, see if she's still running." andrew ordered, before trying the wall comm to contact the bridge.

    "Bridge, Clyne. what the bloody hell is happening?"
    Avatar by sparkey477.

    Coming outta nowhere, dropping like rain,
    Stormbringer dance on the thunder agian!
    Dark clouds gathering, breaking the day,
    No point running, 'cos he's coming your way!

    Rock the rainbow, Rock the Sky!
    Stormbringer comming, Time to Die!

    Deep purple, Stormbringer.

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nerd-o-rama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In AMERICA!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    "Main power failure," Stern responds curtly over the intercom before switching to orders mode.

    "Switch all vital systems to auxiliary power. I want a report from Engineering ASAP on why we aren't getting any engine power, and I want it fixed immediately thereafter. Comms, log the received transmission as a distress signal. We'll respond as soon as we're mobile."

    Stern sits absolutely straight, a forced look of calm on his face. Underneath, he's not straining not to panic - he has enough confidence in himself and the ship to know better. The strain is coming from avoiding the appearance of panic.
    Let's Play Super Robot Wars Alpha


    Spoiler
    Show

    Character avatar of Rin is courtesy of Maestro.
    Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Signum Zeichen Nachtgott by Tengu
    SOS Banner by Gorbash Kazdar

    AIM: Nerdorama09

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    Alfred was already in motion, the call to switch to auxiliary power was quickly followed by things switching over.

    "Understood sir." he replies to Stren's orders while working to answer his questions

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    Ensign Melern does a data dump into him wrist-puter and gives orders for his Commo crew to enhance the signal as well as check their sidearms. ((I assume a wrist-puter could have been acquired at the ships stores.))

    Zell then speaks up loud enough to his men so that the whole bridge crew can hear him. He makes sure to hold a steady gaze with each man or woman on his Commo crew patting a back here or making a nod there. ((Anotherwords, I direct the speech at everyone while seemingly only talking to my own personnel. Subtle, eh?))

    "Listen up people this is our time to shine! Make the earth and your families proud. Just do your jobs as you were trained and we'll work through this. Look at LCDR Stern and the Commodore they are perfectly at peace here. Think things through and lets get this ship fixed."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+10)[26]


    "Now get to work. I want signal boosted for more quality and find the correct decryption settings. I only got a partial. The first one who gets it done before me gets an extra 24 hour chit on the next shore leave."

    Zell then walks over to LCDR Stern and speaks to him in a quiet whisper. ((I'm assuming we can have requisitioned a few more things from ship stores in 2-3 weeks esp. if they are job oriented.))

    "Sir, in the absence of the Tactical Officers advise might I suggest we also arm and armor the marines for a boarding action? We may need to run an extraction on the Solaris and...

    Also I'm working on the feed from the Solaris to decrypt it. It'll be another minute."


    Zell calmly walks back over to his station and (Assuming LCDR didn't disagree with arming the marines)) sends Private Neil to the bridge armory for his (Zell's) armor and rifle. Zell then starts the decryption codes again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decipher Script (1d20+2)[10] (Any chance my crew would give an assistance bonus?))
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contact Lost – Zell Melern
    Eberron:TC - Gander Qien
    Into the Breach - Jaxal Pralest
    Familiar - Toby the Cat
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Slaw Nadier
    Greyhawk Adventures - Bonepicker

    Imagination is my way to escape your reality!
    -------------------------------------------
    To much DMing and not enough play makes a DM something something...

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Storm Bringer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kendal, england
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    Andrew looked around as the grav plates finally returned to 1G, thinking hard.

    "Chief!" he shouted.

    The martian-born CPO in charge of the ground crew stuck his head out of the Dish's open hatch. "sah?" he asked.

    "Get the ships prepped for launch. all on them. Tell the pilots to suit up when they get here, and be ready to launch at short notice. I'm going to find out what the hell just happened to main power" Andrew orderd as the off-watch scrambled though the hatches.

    "sah!" the Chief replied, before begining to bellow orders to the incoming crewmen. Andrew made his way out of the hangers towards the engine rooms.

    About a floor down, he ran into several crewman milling around at one of the elevators. as he got near, he recognised Midshipman Palmer among them

    "Palmer, what are you doing?" he asked.

    "I...I don't know. I can't get an answer on the comm." he answered, Nervous, "Whats happening?"

    "Main power is offline, I don't know what yet. Look, get to your guns. we need to know if the power failure has damaged them. You, you and you" andrew pointed at a tio of cerwmen standing thier "Help Midshipman Palmer".
    Anderw looked at the marine among the group stood Thier"Private, I belive your squads rally point is on deck four. The rest of you, stop standing thier and get to your duty posts." anderw carried on to the engine room as the crew sped off in various directions, somewhat more conifdent now that they'd seen an officer.

    if only andrew felt conifdent himself......
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2008-01-14 at 03:05 PM.
    Avatar by sparkey477.

    Coming outta nowhere, dropping like rain,
    Stormbringer dance on the thunder agian!
    Dark clouds gathering, breaking the day,
    No point running, 'cos he's coming your way!

    Rock the rainbow, Rock the Sky!
    Stormbringer comming, Time to Die!

    Deep purple, Stormbringer.

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nerd-o-rama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In AMERICA!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    LCDR Stern considers the Ensign's suggestion for a moment.

    "Agreed. We can't be too careful here, at least until we know what's going on. No full battle alert yet, though, I don't want any accidents from overanxious marines."

    He checks the safety on his own sidearm, making sure he's not shooting himself in the foot by agreeing with Melern's suggestion.

    Meanwhile, he's at his station attempting to assist Ensign St. Clair with the repair diagnostics.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-01-14 at 03:59 PM.
    Let's Play Super Robot Wars Alpha


    Spoiler
    Show

    Character avatar of Rin is courtesy of Maestro.
    Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Signum Zeichen Nachtgott by Tengu
    SOS Banner by Gorbash Kazdar

    AIM: Nerdorama09

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    "Sergeant Blake why aren't we getting damage reports from sections by now?"

    Zell waits and listens for a second.

    "What do you mean you aren’t sure? The system is registering but no body is responding?"

    Pauses for a second to think and then spits out orders rapid-fire.

    "Technician (Tech) Smith you and Private Neil are manning the bridge when he gets back. SGT Blake get the next shift up and spread around the ship and put the 3rd shift on standby. Do it in person if you have to. Everyone else get to your secondary stations on the double. Tech Jenkins locate Ensign St Clair and get him a Commo headset yesterday. He was near the Dish bay at last check, then get other sets to the remaining engineering crews. Tech Smith the marines have squad sets in their helmets so get them and the bridge crew all tied into the backup computer then add the engineers and any others that come online starting with Ensign St. Clair. All of you alert the marines and crew to code yellow. They are to get to post but no know hostiles present at the moment. Marines are to draw and prepare but not combat load without immanent threat"

    Zell grabs earpiece communications devices for each deck officer who doesn’t have one. Melern walks to each and hands links out, starting with the Commodore and LCDR.

    When Private Neil gets back Zell stows his armor and weapons in the niche beneath his station awaiting the need to put them on. He then gets back to bringing the internal communications back on line after checking the array for ship to ship communications.

    Directing a private channel to LCRD Stern.

    “Sir, when we get the array back online do you wish me to send a ship to ship to the TAS Archipello?”
    Last edited by Dustyme; 2008-01-14 at 03:59 PM.
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contact Lost – Zell Melern
    Eberron:TC - Gander Qien
    Into the Breach - Jaxal Pralest
    Familiar - Toby the Cat
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Slaw Nadier
    Greyhawk Adventures - Bonepicker

    Imagination is my way to escape your reality!
    -------------------------------------------
    To much DMing and not enough play makes a DM something something...

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nerd-o-rama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In AMERICA!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    ((Dah! Wandering post!))

    "Yes. Apprise the Archipello of out situation as soon as we get power back to comms."
    Let's Play Super Robot Wars Alpha


    Spoiler
    Show

    Character avatar of Rin is courtesy of Maestro.
    Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Signum Zeichen Nachtgott by Tengu
    SOS Banner by Gorbash Kazdar

    AIM: Nerdorama09

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Storm Bringer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kendal, england
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    Andrew had to sort out several crewmen on his way to the engine rooms. he was most of the way thier when he found out that main comms was offline. A idea struck him. Rushing to the nearest wall comm.

    "Clyne to hanger. Chief?"

    ++sah?++ crackled the speaker

    "what is the status of the Dish and Devil?"

    ++DSH-130 is being fueled now, leftenant. DVL-019 will be ready in a about 10 minutes. The sabres are good to go, though.++

    "Are thier mass transciever still operational?"

    Their was a pause, and the sound of shouting on the far end. ++as far as we can see, sah, their fine. we won't know until we try and use them of coruse, but they appear to be working.++

    "understood. standby for futher intructions."

    andrew changed channels.

    "Bridge, It's Clyne. Have you considered one of the smallcraft mass Transcievers as a temperory comm? they got the range to talk to the Archipello, if nothing else"
    Avatar by sparkey477.

    Coming outta nowhere, dropping like rain,
    Stormbringer dance on the thunder agian!
    Dark clouds gathering, breaking the day,
    No point running, 'cos he's coming your way!

    Rock the rainbow, Rock the Sky!
    Stormbringer comming, Time to Die!

    Deep purple, Stormbringer.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    "Melern to LT Clyne thanks for the heads up. I'll have my Technicial link through what we've patched together up here. I'll work with the sensor techs ASAP to tie the Dish's computer in with our backup, maybe we can see what's out there and boost any other signals coming in. Great idea about the Dish's you just got us two systems up with one idea."

    Turns to Tech Smith:
    "You got that Smith? Good, set it up and then run the decryption through that craft maybe we'll have better luck that way. Besides, its definetly more powerful than our hand & wrist-comps."

    Transmits to the marines on duty at the armory nearest engineering:
    "Find Ensign St Clair. Send a runner to him to get a line of communication until my Technician gets there."

    Sets a new channel with Ensign St Clair and ties in LCDR Stern (As soon as Ensign St Clair gets Communication):
    "Melern to Ensign St Clair ignore the comm's until you have time to deal with it. Everyone should be on tap sooner than you can deal with it for now. Besides its probably a part of the larger problem. We have nothing up here weapons, shields, sensors, thrust, comms... My team is working around the ship to your people getting them headsets. Tell each team to grab a marine for now until they get the their own commo sets. Also have them inform the crew to stand up to yellow alert per LCDR Stern. We need to see what's out there. LT Clyne put a quick handled on the Commo and sensors for now. We're tieing them into the Dish's."

    Back to solo line with LCDR Stern:
    "Sir, I'm running a log and sending everything to the TAS Archipello once the Dish is out of the bay."

    To line with Commo crew:
    "Sound off people where do we stand?"
    Last edited by Dustyme; 2008-01-14 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Can't get the roll to work...
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contact Lost – Zell Melern
    Eberron:TC - Gander Qien
    Into the Breach - Jaxal Pralest
    Familiar - Toby the Cat
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Slaw Nadier
    Greyhawk Adventures - Bonepicker

    Imagination is my way to escape your reality!
    -------------------------------------------
    To much DMing and not enough play makes a DM something something...

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    on a magical coathanger

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    As auxiliary systems switch on it becomes clear that several power conduit are blocked altogether and only basic life support and emergency systems come back online. In his attempt to use these minimal systems to continue the decoding the Ensign finds that no matter where he looks the data is just gone, vanished without a trac, even his attempts to upload it into his wrist-puter seems to have failed, as if the power failure has wiped clean the system of this.

    The shuttles and fighters in the bay likely have operational systems and crew swiftly get to work on them as Andrew ordered, reporting a successful find. Then a sudden shock comes to him as he is about to enter the next room. The emergency bulkheads are shutting down behind him as he feels a rush of air. Those on the bridge see a decompression light flashing on in the hanger bay and notice that bulkheads are closing all over the ship... A few screams can be heard over the intercom followed by silence...A partial connection with the shuttles and fighters arrays seems to have been established though, allowing sending, but not receiving of data.

    ((OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes it's a good solution, but things went bad for a reason
    ))

    Marine teams are swiftly organizing themselves for combat ready action and three of them are rallying to Lt Clyne as their paths have been cut off.

    Throughout all the chaos the crew realize that the commodore, who wasn't on the bridge at the time of the accident has not yet contacted the other officers as is customary in an emergency. After all that is part of why you all have your personnel communicators.

    Overall the ship with it's emergency lighting on looks like a dark and gloomy place, red flashing lights and warning symbols on all systems all add to an atmosphere of despair as the crew is becomming very much aware that they are not on an ordinary mission. Fear is read on every mans face, which are mostly scientist and engineers after all.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Storm Bringer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kendal, england
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    Lt clyne bit back a cruse as the bulkheads came down. thier were over s dozen crewmen in work cloths on the far side of that hatch, plus most of the ships qualifed pilots, though it's more likey they'd be suited up and able to surive a decompression.

    struggling to keep the fear in check, cylne tried his comm.
    ++Clyne to any bugger out thier. What the bloody hell is happening to this ship? and has anyone seen the commodore?++
    Last edited by Storm Bringer; 2008-01-21 at 05:25 PM.
    Avatar by sparkey477.

    Coming outta nowhere, dropping like rain,
    Stormbringer dance on the thunder agian!
    Dark clouds gathering, breaking the day,
    No point running, 'cos he's coming your way!

    Rock the rainbow, Rock the Sky!
    Stormbringer comming, Time to Die!

    Deep purple, Stormbringer.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    ---Zell---

    Zell tries to establish the last known location of the Commodore (Using whatever is at hand including the last location he signaled from). Barring that he starts putting on his armor and checking all internal sensors for other open hatches.

    Zell starts attempting to make sense of everything that is going on and barely audible mutters to himself half serious half not.
    "Good thing I got my gear out of storage. Next thing you know and we'll get boarded..."

    As he finishes getting suited up he glances around his eyes finally settling on LCDR Stern. What is he thinking he looks to calm? The Commodore possibly dead, the ship in tatters, I hope he has a good plan. As Lt Clyne's communication hits his ears Zell goes into overdrive trying to restore the ships systems.

    "Don't panic people! Do your jobs and do them well. The best way to resolve this is to fix your issues then help the station next to you. If you're working on something that can wait drop it. If you need help ask for it. Primary systems are now sensors, drives, weapons and commo in that order until you are told otherwise. No go, go, go."

    Spoiler
    Show
    bluff (To get people back on track and calmed down) (1d20+8)[13]


    Walks over to Stern and quietly conferences with him:
    "Sir, I suggest we have the crew get into their pressure suits a possible especially the engineering staff. Someone’s going to have to enter the hanger and with the blast doors down it's probably best to give it to Lt Clyne since he's on the spot now. We may still be able to get to our fighters or other ships and possibly even assist any crewman trapped in the hangar or vented with atmosphere."

    (Assuming Stern agrees to the pressure suits, If not then it never gets said :) )
    Ship wide
    "Alert, we have lost atmosphere on the hanger deck. All crew members if possible are to don pressure suits. All crew report into your sections chiefs, Section Chiefs report up by the numbers. I want to know what’s damaged, what’s good, who’s injured, and if anyone’s missing."

    (I'll let Stern contact Lt Clyne directly other than me giving him and all the officers on comm's the basic jist)

    Zell gets that "Oh crap!" look for a second before stuffing it down and turns back to LCDR Stern.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: (Tactics) (Would an enemy use the hanger to assault the ship?) (1d20+5)[25]


    "Sir, as they say 1st times an accident 2nd times enemy action. I suggest we place the marines at red alert and prepare to be boarded."

    Zell finally heads to sensor station and attempts to help as he can.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Computer Use (To assist the crew or vise versa in getting the sensors online.) (1d20+6)[12]
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contact Lost – Zell Melern
    Eberron:TC - Gander Qien
    Into the Breach - Jaxal Pralest
    Familiar - Toby the Cat
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Slaw Nadier
    Greyhawk Adventures - Bonepicker

    Imagination is my way to escape your reality!
    -------------------------------------------
    To much DMing and not enough play makes a DM something something...

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nerd-o-rama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In AMERICA!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    Stern nods to the suggestion of pressure suits, then sits silent for a full ten seconds, thoughts racing behind an impassive expression.

    It's just like--no, it's not just like training. People are counting on you, and they will die if you don't do your job. Put all your worries in the back, and focus. Do your job.

    Then, he stands up. "I'm confirming Ensign Melern's orders. I want sensors, engines, and weapons up immediately. Marines and security are to go to red alert until further notice. I want everyone to focus and stay alert, and we'll get through this as soon as possible. Move."

    Diplomacy - (1d20+9)[11] - to keep the crew calm and motivated.

    Stern then keys up Lt. Clyne. "Lieutenant, this is Lt. Commander Stern. I'm presently in command. I need you to find the nearest team of marines, get all of you into pressure suits, and investigate the hangar bay. Find out what caused that depressurization."

    He then tries to raise Commodore Kazuma on his personal communicator, and assuming he fails, he dials up the nearest security detail and orders them to look for the Commodore, checking his quarters, the officer's lounge, and anywhere else he might be.

    ((He also might accept volunteers if you are, as a player, bored.))
    Let's Play Super Robot Wars Alpha


    Spoiler
    Show

    Character avatar of Rin is courtesy of Maestro.
    Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Signum Zeichen Nachtgott by Tengu
    SOS Banner by Gorbash Kazdar

    AIM: Nerdorama09

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nerd-o-rama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In AMERICA!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    ((Ugh, that roll was terrible. Action Point on the Diplomacy, just so I don't look like a schmuck in a crisis)).

    Action Point - (1d6)[4]

    Total: 15
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-01-22 at 06:03 PM.
    Let's Play Super Robot Wars Alpha


    Spoiler
    Show

    Character avatar of Rin is courtesy of Maestro.
    Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Signum Zeichen Nachtgott by Tengu
    SOS Banner by Gorbash Kazdar

    AIM: Nerdorama09

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Storm Bringer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kendal, england
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    ++Understood, sir. on it.++

    andrew looked around at the squad of marines that had gathered.

    [COLOR="Green"]"you guys remember your EVA training?"/COLOR]

    "I remember it made be sick for hours afterward....." one corporal spoke up.

    "well, you can guard the hatch." Andrew said, moving to a the weapons locker nearby and retriving his personal weaponry and sheild unit.

    "Right, to hatch 3, and then back along the hull to the hanger doors." andrew set off, the marines falling in behind.
    Avatar by sparkey477.

    Coming outta nowhere, dropping like rain,
    Stormbringer dance on the thunder agian!
    Dark clouds gathering, breaking the day,
    No point running, 'cos he's coming your way!

    Rock the rainbow, Rock the Sky!
    Stormbringer comming, Time to Die!

    Deep purple, Stormbringer.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    on a magical coathanger

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    Commodore Kazuma is not reachable on his communicator and a few moments after contacting the security staff, the marine report from the commodore's quarters. "He's not in his quarter sir...there seems to have been a struggle though, this place is a......" The comms break off with what sounds like a snap and a long last gasp.

    At the same time a group of marines in armored space suits ((OOC:think halo)) stands ready with Lt. Clyne. The door is forced open manually and pressure around them drops.

    The inside of the hanger bay is a mess, with everything that wasn't bolted to a wall having been forcibly thrown through the room with the rushing of air and now random pieces of equipment and a few asphyxiated crew members lie scattered. The lights are still on. The shuttles and fighters are unaffected, even though the launch doors are wide open. One of the shuttle doors is also open. There seem to be no enemies though, or evidence of anything docked to the doors.

    ((Zell/Tactics: An enemy might very well do so, seems logical to cut of their escape route and prevent them launching fighters. In addition the doors of the launch bay are probably a weak point in the hull that is easily forced open))

    As for the sensors, rerouting emergency power is possible, but costly and in order not to compromise vital systems only visual and basic sensors are activated, they show nothing out of the ordinary.

    ((roll a spot check and a will save for all Zell and anyone else checking the visual view screen on the bridge))

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nerd-o-rama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In AMERICA!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    "Attention all security personnel. We have possible intruders in the Officers' Quarters section..."

    Wait...what was that on the screen?

    Spot - (1d20+4)[12]
    Let's Play Super Robot Wars Alpha


    Spoiler
    Show

    Character avatar of Rin is courtesy of Maestro.
    Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Signum Zeichen Nachtgott by Tengu
    SOS Banner by Gorbash Kazdar

    AIM: Nerdorama09

  26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nerd-o-rama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In AMERICA!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    ((And a Will Save, sorry))

    [roll0]
    Let's Play Super Robot Wars Alpha


    Spoiler
    Show

    Character avatar of Rin is courtesy of Maestro.
    Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Signum Zeichen Nachtgott by Tengu
    SOS Banner by Gorbash Kazdar

    AIM: Nerdorama09

  27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Nerd-o-rama's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    In AMERICA!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    ((I really really hate to triple post, but Flood Control (god I hope that's not an omen) messed up my last roll, and deleting the post will anger the dice database.))

    Will Save - (1d20+4)[16]
    Let's Play Super Robot Wars Alpha


    Spoiler
    Show

    Character avatar of Rin is courtesy of Maestro.
    Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Signum Zeichen Nachtgott by Tengu
    SOS Banner by Gorbash Kazdar

    AIM: Nerdorama09

  28. - Top - End - #58
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    Spot Check (1d20+2)[10]
    Will Save (1d20+4)[10]

  29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    HalfOrcPirate

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    Spot (1d20+3)[4]
    Will (1d20+3)[12]

    Zell opens a private channel to LCDR Stern & Lt Clyne then mentions his thoughts on the tactical situation to them.
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contact Lost – Zell Melern
    Eberron:TC - Gander Qien
    Into the Breach - Jaxal Pralest
    Familiar - Toby the Cat
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Slaw Nadier
    Greyhawk Adventures - Bonepicker

    Imagination is my way to escape your reality!
    -------------------------------------------
    To much DMing and not enough play makes a DM something something...

  30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    on a magical coathanger

    Default Re: Contact Lost

    As the three officers let their eyes run over the screen all notice there is nothing wrong with the ship. The outside looks tranquil, unaffected by the turmoil withing. Then on a second view overlooking the bow something else is seen by Lt Commander Stern and the Engineering Ensign. Well, not so much something else, as one could expect to see at least some changes. But instead nothing had changed, as if the image had frozen in place, and likewise the next image and the next, as if they had stopped recording after the hangar bays were opened.

    Yet as they watch and draw their conclusions the engineer just stands there responsively and all seem to get a feeling that the screen is warping as if it's getting fuzzy and unclear

    (@alfred)
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are sure that the screen is showing no stars anymore, merely streams of light entering a void at the far end of the bridge.


    ((OOC: I'm off on a trip for a few weeks and have asked storm bringer to take over the current chapter (pm-ed him some details). I'll be back some time after feb 20th))
    Last edited by Wizard of the Coat; 2008-01-31 at 01:37 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •