New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Klingons vs Uruk Hai

So who would win in an even matchup of Klingons vs Uruk Hai? The scenario:

The klingons and uruk-hai each have a company of 750 soldiers. There are no brilliant tacticians in either group and they use standard tactics known to their race. Both groups are after the same objective, found in the middle of a dangerous, unfamiliar jungle and they know of the other's presence. They start at opposite sides of the jungle. The klingons are restricted by Q to only using technology levels on par with those the Uruk-Hai are familiar with. Each company can be assumed to have enough food and water to last the entire time and neither side will get lost in the jungle. Finally, both sides have melee weapons unique to their race, but no ranged weapons, as well as having standard armor and both companies' soldiers are fully equipped. Neither side gets reinforcements and neither breeds. They have static starting numbers and can only decline in population.

Given the above, who wins?
    Last edited by Thinker; 2007-12-17 at 02:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Klingons vs Uruk Hai

i am prety sure uruks would be capable of reproducing much faster.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Klingons would destroy the Uruks.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    i am prety sure uruks would be capable of reproducing much faster.
    They have static starting numbers, no reproduction. I'll update the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Darken Rahl View Post
    Klingons would destroy the Uruks.
    Why?

5. - Top - End - #5

Kllingons are masters of close combat, and their weapons are impressive and destructive, even in a world where you can shoot people with lasers. Their swords are fast, powerful, and dual bladed, for twice the carnage.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogman View Post
    Kllingons are masters of close combat, and their weapons are impressive and destructive, even in a world where you can shoot people with lasers. Their swords are fast, powerful, and dual bladed, for twice the carnage.
    I don't watch startrech, but could i see one of those blades? Would it work in real life?
    from
    EE

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    I don't watch startrech, but could i see one of those blades? Would it work in real life?
    from
    EE
    Behold, the Bat'leth.

As for if it's a reasonable weapon in real life, I somehow doubt it but I'm no weapons expert.
    Take your best shot, everyone else does.
    Avatar by Guildorn Tanaleth. See other avatars below.

Spoiler
    Show
    My original avatar and much better ones by groundhog22 and a Winter Olympics one by Rae Artemi.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

How would you ever use that? Your arms are too far towards the ends to use it efficiently, it's too heavy to use in one hand and it's too big to use it up close. Maybe if you threw it at them.

Have the Klingons at least got mind rays or super strength or something to make up for their retarded weapon design?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingTarget View Post
    Behold, the Bat'leth.

As for if it's a reasonable weapon in real life, I somehow doubt it but I'm no weapons expert.
    thanks for hte image

In the name of all gods, how in the hell would one use that thing? If the handle was on the outside (aka, you wield it backwards) it could make sense,mut that thing would never worked. It doesn't make sense. Uruk-hai win, they hold up shields and let the klingons tear themselves apart
    from,
    EE

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Arang View Post
    How would you ever use that? Your arms are too far towards the ends to use it efficiently, it's too heavy to use in one hand and it's too big to use it up close. Maybe if you threw it at them.

Have the Klingons at least got mind rays or super strength or something to make up for their retarded weapon design?
    Actually, Klingons can use them in one hand. Its supposedly able to fit into the crook of the arm so you can put your whole body into the swing, etc.

Anyways, Klingons are above average in strength, but their main deal is their Constitution and having a lot of redundant systems. They have like several of everything. Also have dense bones, especially in their head, sort of like a pachycephalosaurus.

Personally I say Klingons because uruk-hai seem to be nothing more than pumped up humans with only minimal training. Klingons are trained from birth. Skill makes all the difference.

As for the weapon, I've seen it attempted to be used by those who know weapons and it doesn't seem too bad.
    Last edited by The Vorpal Tribble; 2007-12-17 at 03:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11

For more weapon reference, here are the klingon bladed weapons from the show: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Klingon_blade_weapons (there's a lot of them or else I'd just post pics).

The Uruk Hai primarily used this:

12. - Top - End - #12

It's got to be Klingon's. They have developed a culture of warfare lasting many generation and have a long tradition to draw upon. They were successful enough to have a large Empire.

Uruk-hai while as savage and bloodthirsty as Klingons, are born from the mud to be slaves and servants. They would be lacking in the developed tactics and strategy that a military race such as the Klingons have. The Uruk Hai are dependent upon a master to command and control them.

In fact, in a fictional history of the Kilingons similar encounters with races like the Uruk Hai have occured. The Klingons are still around so they were probably successful.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Everyone says the Klingons are so good, but with a weapon that screams "Unessarly elaberate and totally useless" i just can't take them serously enough to imagine them winning, maybe if they used normal swords

Can somebody show me how such an obsense weapons would be used?

Also, the Uruk may be young, but they are rather effective
    from,
    EE

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Not a huge startrek fan, but that blade looks to be very heavy, because of the thickness of the blade, and the amount of carbon put into it so the "blade" will relatively balanced. Now the Uruk Kai have what looks to be a short sword, and aren't too heavy compared to the Klingon blade.

uruk-hai seem to be nothing more than pumped up humans with only minimal training. Klingons are trained from birth. Skill makes all the difference.
    300, anybody?
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"

15. - Top - End - #15

I will grant, Uruks are not very good as independent warriors, but then again, they don't have to be. Each warrior has a single purpose, he does it pretty well, and some of them are commanders. The commanders do know about tactics.

I'm not saying adaptability isn't an advantage, but the Uruks are presumably the best of the best when it comes to doing their one single thing. Assuming the Uruks will automatically go "RAAARGHGHRHAGH SMASH" is silly.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

They got their asses handed to them by weaker humans.

How effective can they be?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Everyone says the Klingons are so good, but with a weapon that screams "Unessarly elaberate and totally useless" i just can't take them serously enough to imagine them winning, maybe if they used normal swords

from,
    EE
    A swordshop owner I asked said a bat'leth might be used in jungle warfare.

I don't know about that.

But Klingons also have katanas and daggers.

18. - Top - End - #18

from,
    EE
    simple.

1) opponent swings
    2) Klingon catches blade in center of bat'leth
    3) at this point, the Klingon has a few options. they can shove forward, knocking the opponent off-balance, they can make a Diagonal slash to get the weapon out of the way and follow it with an immediate stab with the end, or a few different things. a bat'leth has more control, seeing as where the handles are placed.
    Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Blights are halted by the heroic, self-sacrificial actions of a couple of dudes. Throwing them into a land containing the ur-example of the modern pulp fantasy warrior is rather like tossing a sponge in the Pacific and wondering if it'll get wet.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    simple.

1) opponent swings
    3) at this point, the Klingon has a few options. they can shove forward, knocking the opponent off-balance, they can make a Diagonal slash to get the weapon out of the way and follow it with an immediate stab with the end, or a few different things. a bat'leth has more control, seeing as where the handles are placed.
    Well, I can't imagine it would be very easy to chop through any sort of armour if you've already shoved someone back and you have to make an awkward kind of sideways chop instead of just stabbing like you could with a straight weapon. Additionally, an Uruk could just as easily stabbed or slammed with their shield, which would presumably be rotated in front of them if they were shoved off balance. Again, the range is too bad if you're holding it with both hands and an Uruk would probably be able to resist the shove if you were holding it with only one.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Armin View Post
    A swordshop owner I asked said a bat'leth might be used in jungle warfare.

I don't know about that.

But Klingons also have katanas and daggers.
    My Uncle has a forge in his garage, (don't ask why) and in the summer we occasionally make blades, but nothing... nothing like a bat'leth. That might require weeks to get properly weighted the way the klingons forged it. The bat'leth would probably be used in a thin jungle, but would be too bulky to carry around in a thick jungle. The Greatsword, katana or dagger seem more apporiate for a dense jungle... And so does a shotgun.
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Well I've got the entire DS9 collection (and stuff from TNG, TOS and Voyager and all the movies) and I must say the Urak-Hai hands down!
    The fabled klingon warriors routinely lose to most human officers (especialy captains). They're actualy not much stronger than an ordinary human and just as vulnerable to a good slash. Their "tactics" are very poor because they focus so much on honor. Klingon tactics combat consists either peering around their cover and shooting with their disrupters or (if the enemy is quite near) each klingon pairing off with one of the enemy and fighting with their bat'leth.
    They were "successful" because of their definitely dishonorable cloaking technology, their mineral rich homeworld moons and the fact that they've been around longer. They are described several times (by their own allies!) as a "decadent" and "dieing" race.
    In DS9 the klingons (once far stronger than the federation) are now considered weaker and only stay there because the federation turns a blind eye to their slave colonies.

Mr. "their weapons are impressive and destructive":
    Oh please. They were slaughtered by the Jem'hadar and most Bat'leth combat takes so long that anyone not engaged could shoot pretty much everyone in the time it takes to finaly kill Kira.
    In Startrek people's reflexes are so slow that if anyone installed a single automated, teleporting bullet-using defence turret aboard DS9 they'd never have to worry about being boarded again. Ever.

Most of the elements of Startrek are based on suspension of disbelief.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

a bat'leth has more control, seeing as where the handles are placed.
    "more control"? If it weren't for their superior material technology it would be impossible to move the Bat'leth as is shown in DS9 or would simply twist in your hands. How ancient klingons supposedly managed I don't know.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

As I said G, I'm not too big on Startrek. (Hell, I didn't even say that bat'leth combat was efficent) All I mean is, that it's a big lunky sword, with a big lunky Klingon.
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

simple.

1) opponent swings
    1. shield blocks. The weapon spiked look likes they would get caught
    2. Giving Uruk time to swing down
    3. And i see where hte blade is placed, gets stuck in the first uruk it kills, can't get out.
    the kattans and and daggers are more threating
    from,
    EE

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Klingon warriors are only shown to be weaker in the series because the main characters have an audience looking after them.

Klingons are routinely preached as being great warriors. Worf beat up dozens of Jem Hadar by himself.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post
    As I said G, I'm not too big on Startrek. (Hell, I didn't even say that bat'leth combat was efficent) All I mean is, that it's a big lunky sword, with a big lunky Klingon.
    Sorry, that wasn't aimed at you.

Armin: As did Sisko and pretty much all of the cast except Jake. There is a higher percentage of something vs. klingon victories than there are something vs. Jem'hadar.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

can somebody show a pic of these things being used?
    from,
    EE

28. - Top - End - #28

I will do you one better, here is a real-life martial artist using one in a Kung-Fu form.
    Last edited by TheLogman; 2007-12-17 at 05:59 PM.
    Thanks a TON to Almighty Salmon for the Amazing Log Man!

The Legend of TheLogMan

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheLogman View Post
    I will do you one better, here is a real-life martial artist using one in a Kung-Fu form.
    Saw it
    Klintons are screwed

All the uruks have to do is keep them in a tight area, and that weapon is worthless
    from
    EE

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Saw it
    Klintons are screwed

All the uruks have to do is keep them in a tight area, and that weapon is worthless
    from
    EE
    Bat'leth's were designed for 1v1 combat and are useless in a close fight with multiple oponents and allies.