1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Eberron - First Inn, First Out

Slam attack:(1d20)[12]
    Damage:(1d4)[2]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Randel:
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC:
    Edit: Ok, nevermind! I'll take that as your action. You can still move out into the hallway instead of drawing the crossbow.

It's not that you can't make a full-round attack, it's just that you can't combine slam attacks with regular attacks. And if you were to, say, dual-wield unarmed, you would face hefty penalties. Still, it gives you two chances to get decent rolls, although you'll be doing non-lethal damage.

If you really, really want to do a full-round attack, then I'll allow the double unarmed strike. The penalties are -4/-8. Which means that you'll have to roll this:

1d20-4, 1d3+0
    1d20-8, 1d3+0

Or, you can grapple the beast. You'd roll a touch attack, straight 1d20, then if that hits you roll an opposed strength check. Now, it's a little animal-type creature, so it will face hefty penalties. If you succeed the strength check (and you'll have to wait for me to roll for the creature.), there's a good chance that you'll be able to knock out the beast since it will do some non-lethal damage. Roll 1d3+ for this.

If you don't knock it out, then next round you can do another check to attempt a pin. If you succeed, then you'll be holding the beast unattached safely on the ground giving someone an easy melee attack opportunity to finish it off.

If you do a grapple, you'll still have a move action. If you want something to do with the move action, you can move out into the hallway, through the human since they're currently considered an ally and probably wouldn't try to block you, and see if the other people you heard might be able to help.
    Last edited by Theli; 2007-12-20 at 08:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Carmot

Spoiler
    Show
    Why yes, I would like to get more CON damage from this little rat when it attack of opportunities me for leaving its threatened square. heh heh... no, not really.

I keep my attack, load my crossbow, and take a 5-foot step west to 8-2. Shaking this thing off of me while I go. Then I'll get an AoO when it tries to enter my square.

Edit: Okay, I make my attack and then head out to square 8-4 the corner to the north west of Father Porter
    Last edited by Randel; 2007-12-21 at 12:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

(1d3+2)[3](5) With a strength mod of +3 half of that is 1.5. I assumed to go up and not down.

Oh yeah what would the darkness ferret taste like? I'm assuming bitter and sort up-chucky buuuut that is just going by their evil-like ways. Because evil is always bitter >__> *goes Superman/Paladin-esque. FLY AWAAAAY*

Sorry about the rolling without asking. >__>;;

The gambit, which when looking back was very unlikely and somewhat dangerous, had worked with one sliced and the darkling ferret went dead and then the ferret cracked as he hit his knee against the wall.

The sword sliced then went to slice the unconscious ferret, but he stayed his hand. Obviously with the sliver of silver escaping them whenever they were attacked and then this creature would be of no use to them. And yet they were also quite dangerous as well. At first glance he had no idea what it was, but maybe at the end of this someone will know what to do with it. And when he did find this person; he would figure out what to do with it.

He let it rest. He would deal with it later.

He moved outside the door opening it. He's a shifter male with brown hair and pale yellow eyes. Around his neck there is a silver symbol of the Silver Flame and in his sword hand there is a longsword. He is not properly attired, wearing only his trousers. Right now he is more animal than man, so to speak, with long canines that pend over his lower jaw slightly.

"There is one of those things unconscious in my room. Might be useful." The aftertaste of the one he bit is still in his mouth and he sort of smacked his lips and tongue afterwards.

He didn't really register who he was talking to, because he looked a little worst for ware having those rapid things hit him. On his shoulder there was a mark as one of them hit him and one on his barefeet. What was worse was this tired feeling he felt now.

If that didn't work he would chew it up again, after all it seemed to work before.

After he did whatever he did he reverted back into a less ferocious form.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack Roll: Sword, precise so not to harm the user: (1d20)[12](12)
    Attack Roll: Bite, precise: [rollv]1d20-5[rollv]
    Listen: (1d20+1)[11](12)
    Last edited by WillWolf; 2007-12-21 at 03:00 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Attack Roll: Bite, precise: (1d20-5)[18](13)
    Grr for sorry for botched HTML

If there is a person in view with a monster on hand, action point:
    (1d6)[5]

Damage Sword: (1d8+3)[1](4)
    Damage Bite: (1d6+1)[4](5)

6. - Top - End - #66

WolfInSheepsClothing

Randel:
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC:
    You striked out everything in your post there. :p Unless you say otherwise, I'm gonna assume the attack stands and if it kills it you draw the crossbow and if not you move as stated. But I think you have some amount of time before I tally up all the actions in the round.

As to the AoO, I suppose it's true that if you grapple and pin a creature, and THEN move out (which would take 2 turns at least) you would suffer an AoO. But you wouldn't have to move. Once pinned, you could just wait for somebody else to kill it. I think it's a moot point now though. That thing is gonna die one way or another this round.

Willwolf:
    Spoiler
    Show

OOC:
    Well, you won't have enough actions to attack anything this round. So take a look at the map and pick where you would like to move toward.

As a reminder, your healing wouldn't have kicked in due to the ability damage. You probably remember, I just wanted to reiterate it. :p

Btw, that was HALF STR bonus on the attack. Not 1.5. And besides, you ALMOST ALWAYS round down in DnD.

Also, the weasel tasted purple.

OOC: Looks like we'll be very close to getting out of combat rounds and spoiler tags soon. Still waiting on a few actions for the 4th round.
    Last edited by Theli; 2007-12-21 at 12:34 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Orc in the Playground

Randel
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gah the silly mistakes of evil purple! I'll move in front of the door and stay there.

OOC: Ignore the latter part of where I move >__>;; He's in front of the door and only there *nods*

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Syd
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 1/6(normally 8 max, dadgum Con loss); AC: 12 (ff 10, t 12)

The dwarf nods. "Right. I'll be back in a moment," he says. Syd gingerly returns to his room where he sheaths his rapier and belts it around his waist, then grabs his shortbow and quiver and heads back to the hallway.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

9. - Top - End - #69

Ugh...I may never drink again...that quite possibly the worst hangover I have ever had... Aelodin spoke in a sarcastic tone.

The elf half-walked, half-limped, out of the room into the hallway, still looking around in case another beast were to approach. Even while trying to cup one of his eyes from the pain, he attempted to cover all sides of him by rapidly rotating his head.

You all get some of those things to? Ya look kinda beat up.

He rested up against a wall, still wondering what these things are, and takes a moment.

Sonnuva...! He nearly curses as he gets up to limp back into the room and grab the rest of his gear.

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Go back to the room and get my gear and then come back.

Stats
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 4 (7 Con) AC: 18 (Dodge) FF: 13 Touch: 15

-Suzuro
    Teach me, Please
    I need the abilities to live
    Silly me, I tried to measure it by what I could give

"There are nights when the wolves are silent, And only the moon howls...."
    -George Carlin

10. - Top - End - #70

WolfInSheepsClothing

After a flurry of activity, this wing of the Inn finally seems to have calmed down. Although, one of the beasts can still be heard growling away in a room near the double doors at one end of the hallway.

A gray haired, blue eyed, elf comes limping out of his room to investigate the scene. He is wearing a chain shirt and green tattered robes, a heavy pick is in his hand. He covers his right eye just as blood continues to streams from his right arm.

There is already a blond haired, green eyed human out and about who seems to still be locked in combat with something that lies within a room at one end of the hallway. He is wielding a morningstar and a heavy shield, is wearing night attire, and seems to be in perfect condition. Though he attacks, there are no sounds of any hits connecting.

At the other end of the hall, there lies a black haired, dark brown eyed dwarf standing outside an open door. Carrying nothing by a rapier and dressed in night attire, he seems to be in incredibly poor shape with both hands bleeding.

A crunch can be heard as the final beast continues its meal.

Suddenly, the disturbing sounds of grinding teeth and metal stops as one of the beasts comes flying from the open room near the double doors. The human standing there visibly relaxes even as the creature dissipates in the air behind him. A red-eyed warforged emerges from the room and stands near the human just outside the double doors. He is wielding a light crossbow. Despite the damage he must have sustained, he seems to be in decent shape for the time-being.

A feral looking humanoid then pops out of a room near the center of the hall, he wears tattered night attire and is wielding a longsword. Wounds can be seen on his left shoulder, knee, and foot. He carefully peers around for any more danger.

After taking one look at each other, more than half of those present return to their rooms to retrieve their gear. Everything now seems exceptionally quiet. Not even wind can be heard from the outside.

OOC: The warforged takes another point of damage.

This is the end of round-by-round combat, as every known enemy has so far been neutralized. There is nothing distinctive of any open room, except for people's gear, inn amenities, and an unmoving weasel remaining in one of them. (The one with the brown question mark that the feral man stepped out of.) There is no longer any need for spoiler tags for actions unless you're trying to keep them secret from the other party members.
    Last edited by Theli; 2007-12-22 at 12:51 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Carmot

The warforged gets all of his items in his backpack and makes his way into the hallway where he looks around the area, wielding his loaded crossbow. Numerous bite marks are visible on his frame.

"I'm unsure how exactly how I should phrase this question, but... what the %$#@ is going on in this establishment? I am quite certain I did not mistakingly order the 'rabid shadow creature shoved into my room' special."

The construct shakes for a moment as if visibly suppressing an indignant rage... although his metal face remains as expressionless as it always is.

"Anyway... to relate my story. I was working in my room barely a minute ago when the light suddenly went out and three of the creatures attacked me. The door was closed, and when they bit me there were flashes of light. Also, they seem to weaken my system in addition to the normal damage one gets from attacks."

"So, how does this compare with your experiences? He asks the others."
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72

Sounds about right there, Metal boy Aelodin spoke gently as he leaned against the hallway wall.

I can barely stand after seeing those accursed things and their flashes of light He spoke, still holding his bleeding eye And now, I don't even know if I'll be seeing out of this eye anymore.

Well, this is, of course just my luck. The world has played some cruel jokes on some people, but this, this is much to far! He shook and begin to stand up, but had to brace himself on the wall to prevent falling. Ugh...if any of you can help me out, maybe I can finally walk. And mayhap, we can ask the so called manager of this place to tell us what the Feth is going on.

-Suzuro
    Teach me, Please

-George Carlin

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Syd

The dwarf nods and shakes his shortbow for emphasis. "That's what I'd like to know! I mean, both'v my wrists've been chewed mightily. I'm not sure I can manage any hand-to-hand combat in my current state, let alone bow-work," he adds with a sigh. "Let's check all the rooms and make sure there's no one around who needs immediate help, eh?"
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

14. - Top - End - #74

Father Porter

The blonde, unscathed human gingerly steps out of his room, now fully equipped with scale mail, his morningstar, shield, and other gear stashed away in the pack he carries.

"Now, obviously those strange creatures brought us ill will, and I know probability is high that they are...or were, as the case may be, that they are evil, but do any of us know for sure or not? Also, I'd like to introduce myself: I am Father Porter of the Silver Flame. My friends call me 'Father' or 'Padre,' and either will suffice. Lastly, I do see wounds on several of you. Who needs the healing the worst? I can heal some minor wounds, bruises and scrapes mostly, but some more serious stuff is beyond my reach."

After I use a spontaneous casting to cast cure minor (as many as people say they need) and up to 1 (one) CLW (using spontaneous casting to replace divine favor), I ready an action to cast Bless on the group if we are attacked again, as we move to check on other patrons. He will not be the first through the door, but is willing to go second.
    My Awsome Sig!
    Spoiler
    Show

The Original Narrator for the SMBG "Werewolf" game
    WEREWOLF CENTRAL
    LET CHAOS RULE: Turquoise bicycle shoe fins actualize radishes greenly!
    It's not about making money, it's about taking money; destroying the status quo. Because the status...is not quo.

Games I run: Fallout: Great Plains (Redux)

15. - Top - End - #75

I may look bad, but I've been worse for the wear. The elf said as he propped himself up with the wall, finally standing on his own.

My name, it is Aelodin. I would recommend seeing to some of these patrons wounds.

As he limped over, he reached back and readjusted some of his gear, and propped himself down for a breather at the door.

Once everybody is ready, I'm prepared to go through and see what's going on. I just want to know, right now, who is to blame for this?!

I'll put my Kukri in my backpack, and then walk over to the door and wait for everybody else to get ready before I open it and go in.

Stats
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 3 (7 Con) AC: 17 (Dodge) FF: 13 Touch: 14
    Last edited by Suzuro; 2007-12-22 at 04:58 PM.
    Teach me, Please

-George Carlin

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Carmot

"Hmm... the creatures seem to dissapear into shadow once slain. Their bites release light and weaken their victim in addition to normal damage. Do you suppose they are manufactured creatures or are they outsiders of some sort? If I get a better idea of their nature I might be able to enchant my weapon to more effectively fight them."

Knowledge (arcana):(1d20+3)[13]
    Knowledge (the planes):(1d20+3)[10]
    Knowledge (architecture and engineering):(1d20)[11] (to find out how weasel sized creatures might have gotten into all the rooms and why the light went out.)

He wields his crossbow and follows the others as he ponders this.

Stats:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think I'm at:
    HP: 4/5 (normaly 6 max hp)
    CON: 7 (3 con damage)
    AC: 13
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77

WolfInSheepsClothing

Randel:
    Spoiler
    Show

You cannot recall any arcana which would apply to these little beast. They do seem to be composed of something not present on the material plane, which would place the creature as an outsider, but they seemed somewhat too weak and not distinctive enough to truly be from another plane. No clear determination can be made.

With the doors shut, there is no visible way into the room. Perhaps somebody, or something, opened the door for them. But the doors tend to squeak, which would suggest otherwise. However, with the right magic...

Additionally, there's no indication why the light is out. The lantern would have to be better examined to make this determination. It is odd that the rooms and hallways can still be seen so clearly since it should still be night. Not enough light should be coming in between the very fine cracks in the walls...

OOC: With a 7 con, you would have a -2 modifier. So it seems that you're actually at 3/4.
    Last edited by Theli; 2007-12-23 at 02:05 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Orc in the Playground

Richardl

"Richard of ... the Flame," He finalized. That seemed to be the most appropriate title. He looked tired but determined and bowed his head in respect to Father Padre and nodded his head courtly to the rest of the individuals. After taking a moment to see everyone he went into his room and placed on his shirt and armor - His chain shirt. He also further gathered his wooden shield, bit and heavy. Many people with chain shirts had some sort of gear on their head, but he did not. On his armor there was a painted silver flame.

He looked at the man looking over the dead rodent, and threw an empty sack beside it.

"Maybe you should bag it." He said as he walked on to the rest of the individuals.

He stopped in front of the group in front of the door. He turned to Father Porter, cleared his throat, and said, "may I ask for your aid, Father?"

He had a somewhat pragmatic look at things, focussed, he'd reflect on these issues later.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just keeping my health in check. 3/9 Health with 4 CON damage >__>
    Last edited by WillWolf; 2007-12-25 at 03:03 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Carmot

HP: 3/4 (6) Con:7/10 [-2]

"Randel of the flame? That name sounds familiar for some reason."

Returning to his thoughts he says, "Well, these creatures do seem to be from another plane of existence... though I'm not sure if I can bane my weapon against odd shadowy outsiders. Can anyone tell if they register as evil or not?"

He makes sure that he has all his items, including his repair kit.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

WolfInSheepsClothing

OOC: I think he might've had a brainfart or something. :p Pretty sure that's not what the name is supposed to be.

21. - Top - End - #81

Well, who gives if they're from the outer planes or whatever, all I want to know is why they're here He said, slightly agitated as he sat by the door.

If we can't find any ways to cheat them, we'll just do this the way our ancestors did!
    Teach me, Please

-George Carlin

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Carmot

HP: 3/4 (6) Con:7/10 [-2]

"Hmmm... if we are to examine the rest of the building we should take a light source. It is night time after all."

He takes out his own lantern and is ready to light it when he stops and checks the hallway they are in. Checking what light sources are lit at the moment. If he finds anything peculiar, he looks at everyones shadows to see how they are oriented and uses that to find the light source. He checks the lantern that went out in his room.

Spoiler
    Show

Search:(1d20+6)[25]
    Spot:(1d20+0)[14]
    Knowledge (the planes):(1d20+3)[13]
    Knowledge (architecture):(1d20+3)[5]

Sorry, but INT is my highest stat... and I'm dedicated to finding out what we are dealing with.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83

WolfInSheepsClothing

Randel:
    Spoiler
    Show

The lantern itself may simply be blown out. It's impossible to tell just by looking at it.

After a very thorough search of the area you find nothing. There are actually no shadows, and therefore no light sources. The only thing that even remotely looks like a shadow is the weasel lying on the floor in one of the rooms. (It's texture is very odd and just doesn't look very physical.) There are two possible explanations for this that you can determine from your limited knowledge of the planes and arcana.

Perhaps one of the planes has created a new manifest zone. The plane of Mabar could certainly have extinguished the light. But this would have made the area pitch black, rather than the current shadowy illumination, and would have destroy all life in the area besides. If this phenomena has any connection at all to Mabar, it is an incredibly weak one. Other conceivable planes are Dal Quor and Dolurrh. However, neither fit the situation exactly either.

The second possibility is that this is simply an effect of magic. Perhaps every wall, floor, ceiling, piece of furniture, person, and piece of gear in this wing is radiating some kind of extremely mild light. Or maybe magic is causing an area of shadowy illumination without the typical signs of a spell that could do such a thing. Or perhaps it is just an illusion. It's impossible to tell at the present time.

OOC: You're free to make knowledge checks on whatever you want, within reason. However, rerolls just don't happen. (Unless you gain a rank in the skill.) So far, I've assumed that you've done checks on the creatures, the area, and the lantern.

So I suppose your knowledges may not be ultimately helpful, but that's why your character is on his journey, right? To learn things. Maybe if you move forward you can figure out what's going on.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Carmot

Carmot relates his findings and theories to the others and then lights his bullseye lantern.

He joins the others in exiting the room, wielding his loaded crossbow in one hand and holding his lantern in the other, ready to set the lamp down quickly and wield it properly in combat.
    Last edited by Randel; 2007-12-24 at 11:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85

Get ready all! We're going in! Aelodin growls, as he opens the door. if you're not ready, 'tis a shame!

He walks through the door, pick at the ready.

Stats
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 3 (7 Con) AC: 17 Touch: 13 FF: 14

-Suzuro
    Teach me, Please

-George Carlin

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Richard

OOC: Gah my mistake on the name. Ret-conning a bit. I'll see if it registers as evil or not, before going to the door.

He focussed his eyes on the creature, trying to discern it to the best and then it came as if in a smell. "It's evil" He spat on it regardless, because it was a mean sucker.

He follows the elf with the pick, sword and shield in hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard action and move action if we are entering combat.
    Last edited by WillWolf; 2007-12-27 at 12:05 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87

WolfInSheepsClothing

WillWolf:
    Spoiler
    Show

A faint aura of evil emanates from the unconscious beast.

OOC: You don't have to explicitly define actions outside of combat. Just say what you're doing.

OOC: I'm still unclear on where everybody is going. Are you going to one of the closed rooms or are you leaving out the double doors of the wing?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: I suppose we should check the other rooms here in case there are other people on this floor, maybe warn them of whats going on)
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89

WolfInSheepsClothing

OOC: Alright, just wanted know if you were going to check the other rooms.

Checking each of the unopened rooms in turn, you find that they are devoid of any occupants.

As you open the double doors to leave this wing, there is again only silence to greet you. Not even a single halfling, or any other race, is present in the common room. The 2nd floor platform on which you now reside extends to the other 2nd floor wing and there are stairs to take you down to where you drank and dined the night before.
    Last edited by Theli; 2007-12-25 at 03:58 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Carmot

"Perhaps we should check the other rooms, if the creatures attacked in our wing its likely they did the same in the other. I hope the people there were able to defend themselves if that were the case."

He moves toward the other wing, shining his lantern along the path. "Hello? Does anyone need assistance?!" he yells loudly toward the other rooms.
    Spoiler
    Show