New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default Re: Escape from Castle Amber - IC

Spoiler
    Show
    Figured I'd be going last. If I'm not last, I'll hold my action until then.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Ho-Kay. Let's get this show on the road.

Rhys' Cat's Grace is in fact still active, for about another minute.

Initiative:
    Oberon
    Duran
    Tyz
    Spider Critter
    Fado
    Jonah
    Rhys

Round 1
    Oberon leaps through the still-smouldering hole in the door, and sends dark streaks of eldritch energy into the still-smiling Fado. The blast makes him hiss and splutter...and, most importantly, lose his smirk.

Duran's focus is split between what is going on in the room beyond, and his task at hand. He lines up for a massive blow to break down the remnants of the door, but inadvertantly smashes into the wall beside it instead.

Squeezing neatly between Duran and Rhys, Tyz vaults through the door neatly, rolling on the other side and imbedding his sword into the startled guts of Fado. The fanged creature staggers but does not fall.

The spider scuttles back a bit away from the hobbitses halfling with the sword, and sends out a glob of grey goo that splatters all over Tyz.

Fado presses himself back into the corner of the room, and waves his arms quickly, weaving a spell. A golden streak of light arcs from his hand to the hole in the door, bursting in a flash of colours and glowing grit that coats everything - including the eyes.

Jonah calls out My eyes! Curse him! As he tries to claw the muck from his face, he begins chanting a song of courage and revenge for a fallen friend.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's pause there for will saves, in case that changes Rhys' action.

Tyz is entangled by the gob of webbing. If he wishes to move from his square, he'll need to make a Strength Check (DC 17) or an Escape Artist check (DC 13), as a move action.

Tyz, Oberon, Rhys and Duran all need to make will saves DC 15 to avoid being blinded by the - you guessed it! - glitterdust.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-04-01 at 10:08 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 19/22 AC: 18, t 13, ff 15; DR 2/cold iron

The faetouched tries to cover his eyes from the glittering particles, but fails to resist the spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save: (1d20+5)[7]; too bad it's not an enchantment (+3 bonus) or mind-affecting (+4 bonus). It's good to be fae.
    Ugh. Just...ugh.

Ring of Four Winds: 2 charges remaining. If Fado comes after me, activate ring until charges are gone!
    Gloves of Eldritch Admixture: 0 charges remaining.
    Healing Belt: 3 charges remaining.

Active Effects: See the Unseen; Sylvan Step (+10 land speed, trackless step, woodland stride).
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-04-01 at 10:16 AM.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rhys

Spoiler
    Show
    Will [roll]1d20+3[/roll]
    Edited 'cause it didn't roll.
    Last edited by Foobar; 2008-04-01 at 10:39 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rhys

Spoiler
    Show
    Drat
    Will (1d20+3)[22]

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

Will save:

7. - Top - End - #277

Tyz
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hp 50/59 AC 23

Now covered in blood, gore, goo and glitter the halfling slashes again at Fado followed by a quick slice.

Pfffff magic! Tyz snarls spitting out a piece of glitter and kidney.

Spoiler
    Show
    Would I have gotten an AoO against the spider?
    Not sure if Jonahs song has affected me yet if so, add two to the following please
    Will Save (1d20+1=16)
    Attack 1 (1d20+9=27)
    Damage 1 (1d10+7=9)
    Attack 2 (1d20+9=11)
    Damage 2 (1d10+7=11)
    Last edited by North; 2008-04-01 at 02:34 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Balance of round 1:

Oberon and Jonah are most affected by the blast of golden dust, and are having no luck in clearing the mucky stuff from their eyes.

Rhys, however, manages to shield himself. He completes his own spell, and is briefly encased in yet another glittering aura, although this one quickly disperses.

On to Round 2:

Spoiler
    Show
    Apologies for the delay in posting this. I figure I'll process up to Jonah's action and let you all assess. Which means that I need actions for Oberon, Tyz and Duran - Foobar can decide whether to post now, or wait to see what everyone does first.

Just to be clear about Tyz' situation - the web has him entangled, but he is not blinded. Fado has stepped back into the corner, so is out of reach, and the spider has also backed away, so is 15' away from him. Breaking loose from the entangling web will be a full-round action. He will not start to be affected by Jonah's singing until his 3rd round action.

Sadly, Diarmuid's real life commitments are requiring that he scale back his PBP involvements, and he has stepped away from the game. My preference would be to DMPC Jonah for the time being, and to cherry-pick a player who might be willing to pick up the character as written (or with slight modifications to their taste). PM's with suggestions for candidates would be much appreciated - I'd like to see this continue, and five seems like a good number.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    1.No worries. You're here now. We're here. We'll get things done. My action is forthcoming, but a question: How much space is there between Fado and us? This'll determine my action.

As to Diarmuid: Well that kinda bites. I agree to wanting to continue this, but I understand how RL can intrude. Good luck to him! As far as finding someone to take over... I'm fine with that. If I think of someone, I'll let ya know.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks, Gimli.

Tyz is 10 from Fado, who is now backed up in the "NW corner" of the room. Oberon is about 20' from him. There's a goopy halfling and a mouldy bed between them.

11. - Top - End - #281

Tyz

Tyz stuggles against the goop swearing profusely.

12. - Top - End - #282

Duran bursts into the room, still yelling a stream of dwarven curses as he attempts to reach Fado.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I'd have known I could just go through the hole I wouldn't have bothered with the sunder check--I thought it was just a little hole that one could stick one's arm through or such...

Anyway, Duran will do the best he can to close the distance between himself and Fado. If he can attack then he will, but from the descriptions I don't think he can make it in one round.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-04-05 at 11:17 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Duran:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Duran will use 10 of movement to get through the hole in the door, then another 10' to get level with Tyz. He can either climb up onto the bed to be able to reach the spider, or step in between Tyz and Fado, threatening Fado and being in place to attack him next round, but (at least in large part) blocking Tyz' access to him. However, since Tyz goes before Duran, Duran is in a position to see that the halfling has not yet broken free of the web.

14. - Top - End - #284

Spoiler
    Show
    Duran will move to close with Fado--better to threaten him so that he has to cast defensively, no? When Tyz gets free, he will do his best to make way for him.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show

With an irritated scowl, Oberon focuses his attention and creates a mental picture of the room. Reaching out with inborn magics, he causes a swarm of bats to appear around the spider after a long moment of concentration. "Stay clear of the swarm! It doesn't care whom it attacks, non?" he calls out to his companions.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 round casting (not a Full Round; just clarifying) - Summon Swarm: bat swarm; requires concentration.

Ring of Four Winds: 2 charges remaining. If Fado comes after me, activate ring until charges are gone!

Active Effects: See the Unseen (see invisibility and darkvision 60'); Sylvan Step (+10 land speed, trackless step, woodland stride).
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-04-07 at 01:14 PM. Reason: not Full Round casting, just 1 round.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Oberon begins a dark enchantment, and just a faint hint of something acrid takes shape near the spider...slowly.

Duran plows through the hole in the door and leaps past the struggling Tyz to confront Fado.

The mighty warrior yanks hard at the sticky mass, but fails to tear himself free.

The spider twitches as far away from Duran's flailing hammer as it can, and shoots out another burst of goo - this time, directed at Oberon. Since the luckless warlock can't see it coming, the goop catches him full in the front.

Fado hisses at the lunging dwarf, and leaps up the wall behind it, moving awkwardly in a way that leaves its back exposed to Duran. Climbing 10' up the wall to the arched ceiling, it glances down at the dwarf.

Ah, my cob-lobbing friend. Not so fast!

The bulge on Fado's back seems to open, and it disgorges another blob of the annoying grey goo. The dwarf is, miraculously, too quick, though, and the blob lands harmlessly on the floor at his feet.

Jonah's voice can be heard from the hallway, singing songs of encouragement.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pausing now, towards the end of round 2. Jonah's song is now in effect - +2 to attack, damage and saves vs fear for the time being. We start with Rhys' action.

Tyz and Oberon are entangled unless they can make strength or escape artist checks (Oberon might be able to guide an Eldritch blast to fry the goop on him). Oberon will need to make a DC 17 concentration check to get the summon off.

Fado flubbed his not-very-good-to-begin-with tumble, so Duran gets an attack of opportunity as he skitters up the wall. Fado ends his action 10' up, out of the reach of regular melee.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show

Oberon loses his focus as the sticky glob strikes and startles him. The cloud forming around the spider dissipates. "Blast!" the faetouched mutters.

Spoiler
    Show
    Concentration: (1d20)[14]; Please be kind Dice Gods!
    [Serrano voice]If Dice Gods no help Oberon, then F U, Dice Gods! Oberon make his own luck![/Serrano voice]

Active Effects: See the Unseen (see invisibility and darkvision 60'); Sylvan Step (+10 land speed, trackless step, woodland stride).
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-04-08 at 08:41 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    To ensure that there's no miscommunication. The summon does fail, but Oberon can still act in the next round - he's just entangled. Well, and blind. Um. Sorry.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rhys

Rhys' voice seems to deepen as he chants. A glowing yellow mist appears around him for just an instant before it seems to settle into his skin and disappears. When the spell ends, he nods in satisfaction and draws his sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mage Armor up. Time to demonstrate just how useless I am in a fight.

20. - Top - End - #290

Duran swings at the retreating man as he goes. Regardless of whether he hits or miss, he begins a prayer to Moradin to strip his foe of his magical augmentations, favoring the one that allows him to climb on the walls.

Spoiler
    Show
    AoO: Attack/Damage: (1d20+8=17, 1d8+5=12)

Not sure how many magical effects Dispel Magic might be able to undo, so I've rolled five checks. If there are more just let me know and I'll roll them later. If he has Spider Climb on him, I would like to give preference to that.

Dispel Magic: (1d20+5=21, 1d20+5=23, 1d20+5=11, 1d20+5=17, 1d20+5=20)

21. - Top - End - #291

Tyz

Again Tyz attempts to break the webbing and fails.

Strength (1d20+4=10)

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rhys

Spoiler
    Show

HP: 25/25
    AC: 13 + 2 (Cat's Grace) + 4 Mage Armor = 19

%$@%! I've got to find some more useful spells here. Oh, well, here goes....

Rhys launches himself into a roll across the bed over to the spider and strikes quickly with his rapier.

Spoiler
    Show

Don't know if the tumble is required.

Tumble (1d20+9)[26]
    Attack (1d20+3)[10]
    Crit (1d20+3)[22]
    Dmg (1d6)[5]

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show

The faetouched tries to wriggle out of the webbing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Escape Artist: (1d20+3)[23]; WOW! YAY! But... Is it enough?
    I don't know that I want to chance blasting the webbing off of me while blind and entangled! But if you say I can do it, I'll give it a go next round.

Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-04-11 at 02:46 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Round 2 into 3.

When Fado tries to slip away up the wall, Duran is able to smash the creature across the leg. It is clearly hurt, but manages to complete its movement to the ceiling.

Nimbly, Rhys tumbles across the bed, barely touching the remains of the unfortunate wizard, and stabs at the spider hunched in the far corner. He strikes with conviction, but the spider creature is able to duck under his lunge.

With a massive effort, Oberon is able to slide free of the webbing that restricts his movements.

Duran pauses to try to remove any enchantments lingering on Fado. There is a brief flare on the creature, as if at least one enchantmere were indeed being stripped away, but it stays where it is, clinging to the corner.

Redoubling his fury, Tyz continues to strain to snap the bonds of the webbing that holds him...to no avail.

The spider focuses in on Rhys. Come to momma, it hisses as it tries to bite him. Unfortunately, it misjudges badly, and he is easily able to avoid the bite...this time.

Fado glares down at the dwarf that struck him. Now that was distinctly un-neighbourly. He gestures, murmuring a few syllables, and a pair of black spheres arc from his hands to the dwarf - blasting him.

Jonah struggles into the room, still blinded from Fado's blast, still singing songs of encouragement. He stops just inside the doorway, calling out: Boys! How can I help? How's Erelith?

Spoiler
    Show
    Rhys makes it easily across the bed, and is now between the spider and the bed. It was clear (as he was rolling over him) that the figure on the bed is quite dead.

Oberon is now unentangled, but still blind.

Tyz is not blind...but still entangled.

The spider misses Rhys.

Duran takes 6 points of damage from Fado's spell.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 19/22 AC: 13, t 9, ff 13; DR 2/cold iron

Free of the webbing, but still blind, Oberon considers his options. At Jonah's call, the faetouched shakes his head sadly. "Fado and his friend have ended Erelith's life! I'll not forgive myself for allowing it to happen, but first, the fiend pays!" The warlock tries to direct a blast of eldritch energy at Fado, targeting his voice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+8)[21]; includes inspire courage bonus and PBS.
    Crit?: (1d20+8)[26]; includes inspire courage bonus and PBS.
    Damage: (3d6+2)[17]; includes inspire courage bonus and PBS.
    Concealment: (1d100)[63] -- Please!

26. - Top - End - #296

Tyz

Dammit! Dammit! DAMMIT! GRAARRRR!

Spoiler
    Show
    Strength Check(1d20+4)[22]
    Last edited by North; 2008-04-15 at 12:06 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rhys

Spoiler
    Show

AC 19
    HP 25/25

Rhys pulls himself up in surprise.

It talks? Talking spiders, homicidal goat-men? This place sucks.

Rhys lunges, attacking the spider once more.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack (1d20+3)[11]
    Crit? (1d20+3)[11]
    Damage (1d6)[5]

28. - Top - End - #298

Duran winces as the blast hits him, but seems to shrug off the worst of it. "Everyone, strike hard! Strike fast! By the Allfather, we must make this vermin pay!" After this, he chants a quick prayer, puts a hand on the (now free?) halfling's shoulder, and grants him the strength of a bull.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Casting Bull's Strength on Tyz
    Move (optional): Get out of Tyz's way and let him have at it. <<

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Round 3 into 4

Rhys stabs again at the spider, who nimbly sidesteps his lunge.

Oberon guides a desperate shot towards the ceiling, and...isn't sure if he hit. Duran, Tyz and Rhys, however, can see the blast take Fado square in the chest, and the grimace and puff of acrid smoke that show just how much that must have hurt.

Duran steps back towards the struggling Tyz, and lays out a blessing of strength on the warrior.

Bulging now with rage, magic and frustration, Tyz snaps free of the bonds. He stands, panting and clutching his sword, ready for action.

The spider darts back and bites at Rhys. Although he is able to avoid the worst of its intent, the fangs do sink briefly into his forearm, and he can feel something nasty swimming in his bloodstream.

Fado, seeing Tyz free again, drops another glittering ball into the room, behind Tyz. He scuttles across the ceiling, roughly to the middle of the room (above a point between Oberon and the bed).

Jonah maintains his song as he gropes forward, drawing his longsword. He manages to avoid Oberon, and bumps into the bed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rhys misses. Oberon, remarkably, hits.

Tyz now has 22 strength, and is free of webs.

Rhys takes 1 point of damage, and must make a DC 13 fortitude save or lose (1d6)[4] points of strength.

...and everyone except Rhys (including Oberon) gets to give me another DC 15 will save to avoid being blinded by more glitter.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2008-04-17 at 11:49 AM.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save: (1d20+5)[6] - RAZZAFRAZZABRIKANOOK! Just means I'm blinded a little longer I assume... Ugh.

Active Effects: See the Unseen; Sylvan Step (+10 land speed, trackless step, woodland stride).
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-04-17 at 12:23 PM.