New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Escape from Castle Amber - IC

Jonah

Trying to mediate so the halfling completely understands what he may be agreeing to, Jonah pipes in,

"Tyz, this sounds much like some of the monk demonstrations I witnessed. They feel that by relying only on their own flesh and spirit they can achieve a certain level of...I think they called it "zen". Jean-Louis, why do you bring up odds? Would you wish to wager on the result of this fight? What would be the rules defining victory? Submission? Unconsciousness? Death?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jean-Louis laughs and rubs his hands together.

Now we are talking! Well, what else but a wager would make it truly interesting. Cash or gems, on the barrel-head as it were. If you go with the little one, I'll give you 3 to 2 odds. What do you say?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tyz

The halfling starts taking off his armor griping every step of the way. Damnfancyrules.Noweaponssheesh.Sincewhendohammersc ountataweapontheyarentevensharp. Richpeopleandtheirfancytights.Rulesandrestrictions .Thatsallitis.Blah!Nowordsnoarmornohammersare theytryingtomakemelose.Hah!YeahIbet.Whenwasthelast timeIfoughtsomeonewithoutawepaonanyways.Thatoneonl ylastedtillIfound thatbeerbottle.HAHAHAHAH!Goodtimes.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The bearded man murmurs to one of the halberd-wearing men. Moving for the first time, the halberdier goes to the edge of the ring and lifts up the bottom rope of the platform.

The rules? Rules are good, I suppose. Unconsciousness, voluntary submission or leaving the ring, I suppose, all lose you the match. And...what are you putting up for your stake?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #35

Duran Stonesheath

Normally not a man to gamble, Duran reaches into his pockets, thinking it wiser to please their host while his capabilities remained yet untested. He pours a few gold coins into his hand and says, "I'll bet... fifteen gold on my halfling friend."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Jonah

Moving to help Tyz with his things, the bard steps in close and whispers to his companion,

"Tyz, you dont have to do this if you dont want to. If it's going badly, I would suggest just leaving the ring. This is all very strange, and even if it upsets our host, I'd rather you be alive to help us deal with whatever consequences come from it, than be lying down on that mat. I'll be cheering for you the whole time, make sure to listen carefully to my rousing song."

With a wink for the little fellow, he pats him on the back and steps away. While Duran is negotiating with Jean-Louis, he takes the opportunity to scrutinize the man and see if he has any alterior motives.

Sense Motive - (3d6+8)[21]

7. - Top - End - #37

Tyz

I aint never backed down from a fight, and I wont stop now. Tyz replies to Jonah. Luck has decided I should fight. Either I win or .... Well we can burn that bridge when we come to it.

Barechested and disarmed the halfling runs over to the ring. Ignoring the rope thats been pulled down for him Tyz leaps over the top rope and lands in a fighting stance.

Lets do this. the warrior growls.

Last edited by North; 2007-12-24 at 05:57 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Fifteen gold it is! A modest sum for a modest figure.

The pairs of red lights are all now intent on the square in the centre of the room. As Tyz leaps nimbly over the top rope, Jean-Louis shouts out the word "Fight!" The man in the ring seems to notice Tyz for the first time, scrutinizing him as he begins shifting right and left. The man is heavy on his feet, but with a certain grace. Tyz can tell already that he's faster than this oaf...but will that be enough?

Spoiler
    Show
    Neither Tyz nor his opponent will start flat-footed. North, I'll need an initiative roll, a first round of actions, and any appropriate rolls you'd like to make. Assume the ring is 25' on each side - you're starting in the middle of the west side, your opponent in the middle of the east, so you're twenty feet apart. Put whatever if-then's and contingencies you'd like on this.

Similarly, if any of the rest of you would like to intervene in any way, now or in a contingent situation, now's a good time to post that.

I'll be visiting family and away from my notes until the 31st. We can probably execute the first round of combat in that time, but more regular posting will have to wait till 2008. Have a great holiday season, everyone!

9. - Top - End - #39

At the sound of "fight" Tyz body tenses and the barbarians vision turns red. He closes in with his opponent and attacks. Fast and savage. Tyz charges in headfirst. Fists flying towards his opponents chest as he rams him towards the ropes.

Rrrrrarrrrgh!

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative! (1d20+3=6)
    Bullrush! -4 size, +2 charge +4 Str. (1d20+2=19)
    AC is 16 while raging unarmed. Str 18. Reflex 7.
    Last edited by North; 2008-01-01 at 03:32 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Jonah

When the two combatants sqaure off in the ring, Jonah begins cheering for Tyz even going so far as to begin a little song with a story like David and Goliath.

Perform - (1d20+12)[29]

For the first round, it is just normal singing. In the second round (assuming no one has objected to the singing to that point) Jonah will try to cleverly mix in an Inspirational Boost spell (swift action, verbal/somatic componenets) and then begin inspiring courage in his allies (+2 hit/dmg).

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

At the word "Fight", the halfling launches himself across the ring. As he reaches forward, the golden-skinned man's fist cracks downward, landing heavily on the side of his head. [Tyz takes 8 points of regular damage]

Fortunately, his opponent has failed to realize that this is not a particularly vulnerable spot on the halfling. Clipping the legs out from under the man, Tyz half-carries him back up against the ropes, and over. The magen tries valiantly to seize the top rope as he is flipping over it, but to no avail, and he lands on the ground beyond with a thud.

There is a soft murmur, quiet applause and a bit of laughter from the chairs where the red eyes float. The boxer is up on his feet in an instant, and is rushing back towards the ring, when Jean-Louis' voice cuts him off, freezing him in place "Stop!"

Jean-Louis leaps to his feet, his fists clenched, and his face purples briefly as he stares up at the halfling in the ring. After a brief moment, he speaks.

That was...clever, little man.

He walks towards the ring with a non-chalance that poorly conceals his rage.

12. - Top - End - #42

Duran keeps one eye on Jean-Louis throughout the fight, and upon seeing Tyz victorious and the rage on their host's face, he reserves his applause, keeping a grave expression on his face. To him self, he thinks to himself "Tyz? Clever? There must be some kind of mistake..."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Jonah

Jonah barely had time to start his little musical intro before their host interjected and stopped the fight. He cut off mid verse, apparently glad that things were halted before he started "helping" Tyz. Especially seeing that Jean-Louis seemed this angry at Tyz's unusual tactics having brought victory.

"So, umm....did Tyz win?"

He asks the question somewhat timidly, crossing his hands over his chest where he can reach his weapons somewhat easily.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Still staring at Tyz, Jean-Louis takes a slow deep breath. He is clearly annoyed.

Yes. Departure from the ring during a round is considered a forfeiture. The little hairy one is...the winner.

Reaching peremptorily into his jacket, Jean-Louis quickly takes out a money pouch and shakes out 3 platinum pieces, which he slams down onto the floor of the ring. He paces back towards his seat, but pauses before he sits. He turns slowly back to Tyz. He smiles nonchalantly.

Care for a...rematch? Double or nothing?

Spoiler
    Show
    The match didn't go on long enough for Jonah to activate his song, so he hasn't used any up yet.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit - Stupid double post
    Last edited by Diarmuid; 2008-01-02 at 04:30 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Tyz

The blood rushing away from the head as the halfling settles down from the fight. I cant believe that worked! Luck! Tyz tries keeping his pleasure at owning the magen off his face, mostly. Its hard.

Again? Tyz takes his coin out of his pocket and flips it. Snatching it out of the air he looks at it. No seems like I is only supposed to fight the once. Im going to get dressed again, I feel naked up here. Tyz runs back to his side and slides under the ropes and proceeds to get regeared.

To fight again! or not to fight. (1d2=2)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Amber sighs, and sits.

Well, then, gentlemen, welcome to Castle Amber. Feel free to have a look around. Dinner will be served shortly. And of course...

He gestures vaguely to the opposite wall, presumably referring to the outside of the castle.

As a lovely bard once commented, "You can step out any time you like...but you can never leave.

Far from the sinister tone that might be expected with such a comment, Jean-Louis seems a bit sad as he sits back down. He claps twice, and the golden boxer comes to life, clambering a bit awkwardly back up into the ring. Two pairs of the red lights drift over from chairs on the far side of the room, and seem to hover near him.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Erelith

Erelith's eyebrows raise, and his eyes seem to light up as if on fire. "Hrm? What do you mean by that?"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Jonah

Moving to help the halfling into his armor, he pats him congratulatarily on the back.

"Good show Tyz, good show!"

As their host sits back down and the golden boxer comes back to life, he watches as the red orbs move around a bit. Happy to have been seemingly dismissed, he begins moving back towards the hallway and waves to Jean-Louis,

"Well Mr Amber, it certainly has been a pleasure. Dinner, right....if you would be so kind where will the evening meal be held? I would hate for any wanderings to take us too far away and us to miss more of your hospitality."

Diplomacy - (1d20+17)[19] (8 ranks, 4 Cha, 4 synergy, 1 trait)

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Jean-Louis merely winks at Erelith. He turns away absent-mindedly to respond to Jonah.

Dinner? Why, it's in the dining hall, of cou- ah. Newly arrived, of course. Just through this door -

He gestures to the door opposite the one you used to enter the room.

Dinner will be at...well, to be truthful, I'm not sure when dinner will be. The servants take care of those kinds of things.

21. - Top - End - #51

Duran moves to Tyz's side, allowing himself a grin now that their host had calmed down. "Impressive display 'ere, Tyz. Took a little knock I see... Lemme fix 'at up." Duran pulls out a wand and touches it to Tyz, and his bruise begins to slowly vanish; it'll be gone in about a minute. He walks over to the dropped coins and picks them up gingerly, giving a short nod to Jean-Loius. Figuring it best to learn what he can, he says, "So, m'lord Amber, if I might ask, what manner of man is Magen? His skin is golden and he doesn't seem to drawin' breath. A construct, or am I simply seein' things?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Using one charge from a wand of Lesser Vigor. 49 charges left, and Tyz has fast healing 1 for 11 rounds.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon

The faetouched continues to observe the group's host interact with his companions, trying to size up his intentions and mood, though the latter seems very difficult to ascertain given Lord Amber's apparently flighty nature and rashness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+8)[27]
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Oberon casts what seems like a carefree eye on Jean-Louis. He is obviously put out, but relaxes a bit as he has the opportunity to talk about the magen.

Amber perks up at Duran's question, and moves about the ring a bit as he describes the magen.

A natural mistake, sir! Magen is not this boxer's name, but the name of an entire group of artificial servants that my beloved sister built.

One of the pairs of red lights seems to dip slightly at the mention.

They really are quite remarkable. Hardly more brain than a stone, really, but with considerable work and training - CONSIDERABLE work - it has been possible to instil in this one something of the noble craft.

24. - Top - End - #54

Visibly growing a bit more comfortable with the otherwise dire situation due to having something interesting to talk about, Duran presses further on the conversation. "So they all be of a like kind? I've some minor knowledge of such things. I've advanced far in me forgework, an' I been thinkin' about perhaps pursuing construct craft in me future. 'Tis normally the realm of masters of th' arcane arts, aye, but methinks some guidance from th' Soulforger an' a bit a' dwarven know-how might have interestin' results..." While speaking, he attempts to get a close look at the nearest Magen, wracking his mind for a few moments to recall any information about this kind of construct.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think the relevant check here is spellcraft. If it's Knowledge (Arcana) then Duran's pretty much SOL here.

Spellcraft: (3d6 + 10=24)

I didn't add a bonus from Stonecunning. If it comes into play here, as I kind of suspect it might, that's a 26.
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-01-04 at 12:17 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Erelith

Quite bored by all the talking, starts concentrating (obvious from his focused brow and his tongue hanging out slightly to the side), then causes little fires to light up in various patterns overhead...

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon

Seeing Lord Amber so involved in conversation, Oberon takes the opportunity to look around a bit more, particularly at the red lights which hover near the man. He saunters around the room, keeping the lights at least in the corner of his vision at all times.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

27. - Top - End - #57

Tyz

Fully dressed and armed Tyz feels a lot more comfortable again.

Whats for dinner here then? I hope you have lots of beer.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

[sorry for the delay.]

Jean Louis focuses on Duran, but his eyes glaze over a bit at the detailed talk of the magen.

I...I...you're better off talking to Isobel about this. She's around somewhere.

He waves in the same general direction as the dining hall. Tyz' question brings Jean Louis back with a snap.

Beer? Beer. Well, you can ask. Normally, we have wine.

Oberon takes a closer look at the pairs of lights. He becomes more and more convinced that they act like eyes - even to the extent that he could SWEAR that one of them just winked at him. But, since there are no lids...how could that be?

29. - Top - End - #59

Tyz

In search of beer Tyz starts walking the way Jean Louis points.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Jonah

Offering a slight bow to Jean-Louis, Jonah follows Tyz out into the hallway to make sure he doesnt get into any trouble, and to a lesser extent...to get away from the strange, strange man.

"You know...I think I too could go for a beer just about now."

He looks for the dining hall in the direction their host directed them, keeping and eye and ear out for anything suspicious.

Spot - (1d20)[5]
    Listen - (1d20+3)[21]