New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Escape from Castle Amber - IC

Jonah walks forward into the garden/forest. Turning, he can see that the wall is masonry and stone, between forty and fifty feet high, with the dome coming down just out of view on the roof. There are trees close to the edge of the roof on both sides, from which he might be able to leap to the roof.

Spoiler
    Show
    taking the perspective of someone looking into the garden from the passage, would he like to walk along the wall to the right - there is a stand of tall trees there - or to the left - where there is a small hill, meaning that the climb to the roof may be shorter?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tyz

Tyz follows the group grumbling something about gnomes and silverware.

3. - Top - End - #183

Duran walks in behind them, visibly taking solace in the new surroundings. At Jonah's suggestion, he says, "I doubt I'll be able to make such a climb in this armor..."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Towards the hill, and hopefully a shorter climb.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

As Jonah, Tyz and Duran trudge towards the hill, some sixty feet different, Oberon holds back, glancing back at the departing figure of Fado. The way through the dense foliage is difficult, but they make decent headway. When Jonah gets about halfway to the hillock, there is a sound like splitting rock, and a great split appears in the side of the hill. From inside emerge various snarling and baying sounds, and the rest of the garden has gone from being subdued to being quite silent.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jonah is about 30' from the split in the hill, with Duran and Tyz right behind him. Oberon is another 30' behind them. The general woods area, which start about 10' away from the door and include anywhere this side of the path, are considered difficult terrain.

Initiative and actions, if you please.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon

As the sounds of baying strikes the faetouched's ears he swears softly.
    "I knew something wasn't right. Trust your instincts, dammit!" he mutters to himself. Keeping an eye ahead on whatever is coming, Oberon splits his attention between forward and backward. If they can handle this, I'll go check on Erelith and Fado. Otherwise, we'll have to work fast here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[10] -- Meh...
    How far back from the entrance to the garden is Fado's room?
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-02-29 at 09:04 AM.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The entire length of the corridor is several hundred feet, and his room is at the very far end. He didn't go all the way to the end with you - he is perhaps 150' away from you now, and moving along at a normal walking speed.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon

Oberon whistles shrilly to draw the retreating man's attention.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks, Toli. Basically, I'm holding my action. Is the whistle allowable as a free action?
    Also, don't forget I have See the Unseen and Sylvan Step (+10 land speed, trackless step, woodland stride) active at the moment.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Jonah

The bard is surpised as the hill splits open and the sounds begin assaulting them.

Initiative - (1d20-3)[14]

Edit - Actions kinda depend on what happens before his initiative. If nothing of note really happens, he will cast Invisibility and draw his longsword while moving 20' back the way they came.

Also, I will be on vacation 3/3 - 3/10
    Last edited by Diarmuid; 2008-02-29 at 10:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190

Initiative:
    Spoiler
    Show

Caught off guard, Duran takes some time to react. Should everyone still be relatively whole at his turn, he will cast Magic Weapon (Domain slot) on his hammer after he draws it. ((If not, I'll make another post with adjusted actions.))

11. - Top - End - #191

Tyz

Finshally shom fun! Tyz draws his sword and looks around. Sho wheresh are they?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Leaping forward out of the great tear in the hillside is majestic black stag. A vaguely humanoid figure rides the stag - a large, muscular figure with the head and hoofs of a black goat, with glowing red eyes. The majestic figure carries a massive black metal mace, and uncharacteristically sharp teeth protrude from his scowling mouth. The figure is dressed in plain leather armour, and a massive horn hangs at his side. Emerging at the mouth of the tear, behind the stag, are a pair of canine (or possibly lupine) looking humanoids, dressed in the same armour and holding swords, clinging to the backs of massive, snarling wolves.

The goat man looks at the four of you. There is no sense that he is pleased with what he sees.

Oberon manages to whistle down the hall to Fado, who turns to wave cheerfully, but who keeps walking.

Spoiler
    Show
    Order of actions, then:

Tyz
    Jonah
    Oberon
    Duran
    Goat man and wolf boys

Crappy attempt at a map:

|
    |
    |....|...|
    |...W W
    |.....GG
    |.....GG
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |....J
    |.......T
    |...D
    |---------------
    \O
    |-------------
    |....................\

W = Wolf-boy on wolf
    GG
    GG = Goat-headed man
    J = Jonah
    T = Tyz
    D = Duran
    O = Oberon
    Horizontal dashes - edge of the path

Goat man is at the base of the hillock, with the wolf-riders slightly up-slope from him.

Figured that, now that you had more specific information, I'd give you a chance to repost round 1 actions. Sorry for any confusion.

13. - Top - End - #193

Duran shouts over his shoulder at Oberon. "Trouble! Over here!" His actions remain unchanged.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 22/22 AC: 18, t 13, ff 15; DR 2/cold iron

"Of course Duran Duran. Best to finish this quickly, non?" Oberon comments as he nods to the dwarf. Practically gliding over the terrain, the faetouched moves into the garden, just beside the spot the halfling had previously occupied. Violet energy coalesces at his fingertips as the warlock aims eldritch energy at the goat-headed being.

Spoiler
    Show
    I may amend this based on Tyz and Jonah's actions. Maybe moving forward more and maybe attacking the Wolf-boys.
    I should be within 30' of Goat-Head. Point Blank Shot, yay!
    Attack: (1d20+7)[17]
    Crit?: (1d20+7)[20]
    Damage: (3d6+1)[10]
    Active Effects: See the Unseen; Sylvan Step (+10 land speed, trackless step, woodland stride).

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Jonah
    Hit Point: 36/36
    Armor Class: 18 Touch: 13 Flat-Footed: 15

Gaping slightly at the sight that has presented itself in front of him, Jonah decides on a defensively minded course of action.

Chanting briefly, he weaves his hand through the air and when he is finished, he vanishes from sight.

[ooc] Cast Invisibility [/ooc]

Once safely hidden from sight, the bard slips to the rear of the group behind Duran and Tyz.

[ooc] Move 20' south (or down, have no real idea which way is south at this point) [/ooc]

Spoiler
    Show

Since I will be gone for the next week or so, Jonah's plan at this point is to cast Inspirational Boost next round and begin singing to Inspire Courage (bonuses of +2 hit/dmg). That's going to be his main plan. If someone gets hurt, he will move to heal them.

If he feels the need to get involved in the fight, he will use his scroll of levitate to get up into the air and begin shooting with his crossbow.

Motivations at this point are a lack of desire to get into melee considering he is feeling like his strength has been sapped away from him.

If the fecal matter really hits the fan, he will cast Blindness (DC 15) on whatever is kicking people's asses the most.

Last edited by Diarmuid; 2008-03-02 at 12:17 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196

Tyz
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP 59/59
    AC 23 Touch 17 Flat-Footed 18

The halfling charges forward and whips his sword in a heavy swipe across the stags legss. Get down heresh and fightsh on the groundsh!

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack! (1d20+11-2+2=19)Damage (1d10+7=12)
    -2 from Shaken, +2 from Charge
    Active Effects RAGE!

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The effects of Tyz' rage sweep the remainder of the wine's effects from hiim mind as he lunges forward. His sword slashes across its foreparts, causing it to rear suddenly. The goat-headed man struggles to remain mounted.

Jonah chants a few lilting syllables and vanishes from view. There is the faint rustle of grass and leaves behind Duran.

Oberon darts forward. It's clear from his years of experience with the fey that there is something darkly of the shadow realm about this man, but - like Oberon - he is not purely of that world. However, he burns at the touch of Oberon's blast just the same - as the warlock finds out. His eldritch energy leaps forward and slams into the goat-man's chest, causing a grunt of pain.

The priest pulls out his trusty hammer and brings the power of his god to bear in it.

The goat man calms the massive stag, and points at Oberon and roars out in a sharp, lyrical tongue at strange odds with his appearance:

For those who speak sylvan:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Get the sorcerous one! I'll handle the halfling.

He grabs the horn from his belt and raises it quickly to his lips. It sounds two short blasts, tones deeper than such a small hunting horn should be able to make.

Meanwhile the stag is eager for revenge on the nimble swordsman. Its head slashes diagonally down, and one of the antlers catches him a glancing blow.

The two wolf-men dart forward, giving Tyz a wide berth, and converge on Oberon. He is easily able to slip under the first one's slash, but the second bites into his arm.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tyz couldn't actually charge, thanks to the dense foliage, but he was able to get close enough to the stag for a regular attack. As of next round, he is no longer inebriated, or shaken.

We'll assume that south is at the bottom of whatever map I draw. Compass directions are unlikely to have much utility in this particular adventure.

Again, because of the dense foliage, Jonah was able to move only 15' south.

Tyz takes 4 points of damage from the stag.

Oberon takes 4 points of damage from the wolf-boy's sword.

Crappy Map Update:
    |
    |
    |....|...|
    |
    |.....GG
    |.....GG
    |.......T
    |
    |..W W
    |....O
    |...D
    |
    |....J
    |---------------\
    \
    |-------------
    |....................\

I hope you have a terrific vacation, Diarmuid! We'll try not to kill Jonah.

18. - Top - End - #198

Duran, AC 21, HP 47

Duran steps forward and says, "Behind me, friend! I'll smash, you shoot! Simple but effective, aye?" He raises his warhammer and attempts to bring it down on the nearest wolf-man's blade.

Rolls and such:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sunder AR: (1d20+11=24)
    Sunder Damage: (1d8+3=7) (Ignores hardness less than 20.)

Also: Stonecunning information; does Duran know what the big dude's weapon is made from?
    Last edited by Proven_Paradox; 2008-03-02 at 09:46 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199

Tyz
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP 55/59
    AC 23 Touch 17 Flat-Footed 18

Damn BIGJOBS! And you need a deer on top of that!!! HUAAAAHHHH! the halfling whips his sword in two big swings again across the stags legs. Cut you down to my level eventually!

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack 1 (1d20+9=23)Damage 1 (1d10+7=12)
    Attack 2 (1d20+9=23)Damage 2 (1d10+7=17)
    Active Effects RAGE!
    OOC: So can the big guy on the horse reach down far enough to hit me

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Duran
    Spoiler
    Show
    Duran would guess that the mace is some kind of crude steel, or possibly pig-iron

Tyz
    Spoiler
    Show
    They guy is diagonally "up" from you, but you can still reach each other.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 18/22 AC: 18, t 13, ff 15; DR 2/cold iron

"Aagh!" The faetouched screams in pain. With a feral growl Oberon steps back next to Duran with a nod as he directs a blast of energy at the wolf-boy that struck him. With a thought, Oberon enhances the damage by activating the gloves he wears so that the energy includes additional globs of acid as well. "You know not what you mess with, boy!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Didja factor my DR? Just wanna make sure.
    Also, I have the Ring of Four Winds which can give me a +2 AC bonus up to four times/ day as an immediate action. How do we wanna handle this?
    Actions:
    5'-step away. Eldritch Blast, activate Gloves of Eldritch Admixture (swift)...
    Attack: (1d20+7)[11]
    Crit?: (1d20+7)[24]
    Damage: (3d6+1)[16] plus (2d6)[4] acid damage.
    Active Effects: See the Unseen; Sylvan Step (+10 land speed, trackless step, woodland stride).

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GimliFett View Post
    Didja factor my DR? Just wanna make sure.
    Also, I have the Ring of Four Winds which can give me a +2 AC bonus up to four times/ day as an immediate action. How do we wanna handle this?
    DR was factored in - but thanks for checking.
    For the ring...If you want to activate it other than on your turn, you're going to need to give me some parameters within which you would activate it. For instance, you could state "for the rest of this encounter, I'll only activate it if the goat-headed guy tries to hit me", or have an ongoing "the next time someone tries to hit me" that can be specifically countermanded any time you want. Sound okay? And what's the duration on that effect?

Busy day, and away from notes. I'll try to update tonight.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

DR was factored in - but thanks for checking.
    For the ring...If you want to activate it other than on your turn, you're going to need to give me some parameters within which you would activate it. For instance, you could state "for the rest of this encounter, I'll only activate it if the goat-headed guy tries to hit me", or have an ongoing "the next time someone tries to hit me" that can be specifically countermanded any time you want. Sound okay? And what's the duration on that effect?

Busy day, and away from notes. I'll try to update tonight.
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks. Parameters makes sense.
    Let's go with this: If Goat-Head attacks me until I am under 50% HP
    Spoiler
    Show
    (not much, unfortunately! On the plus side I've got the Healing Belt!)
    , then use until I run out.
    Duration is 1 attack. I don't figure I can do more than one per round, can I? It's an Immediate Action...

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Tyz's blade becomes a blur as he chops into the stag. The big beast tries to leap away, but staggers heavily, and plunges to the ground, blood spouting from it. The big man leaps clear of the beast, and seems unhurt...and very, very put out. He speaks in a grating voice (in common, this time):

Little one, that stag has served the hunt for a very long time. I will crush you like an insect!

From somewhere towards the path, Jonah's clear, strong voice rolls out, stirring hope and determination in all four of you.

Oberon steps back and slams a blast into the wolf-man to the left. Although the blast has clearly hurt him, he remains intent on Oberon's throat.

Duran skilfully brings his hammer down on the right-side wolf-man's blade, snapping the slender thing in two.

The goat-headed man makes a sweeping downward strike at Tyz that the halfling dodges, and the mace buries itself six inches in the ground. The man pulls it out, and manages to catch Tyz with a less powerful blow on the upswing.

Oberon's opponent slashes at him with his sword, missing completely, but the wolf he rides manages to sneak in an attack that nips up Oberon's heels.

Deprived of his sword, the other wolf-man slashes at Duran with a clawed hand, but does nothing to penetrate the priest's armour. The wolf he rides also tries to bite through a greave, with no success.

There is a patter of move footsteps, and two more wolf-riding wolf-men leap from the hole.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone give me spot and listen checks with your next action, please! I will roll for Jonah.

From Jonah's Inspirational Boost, everyone after him in the initiative order (so, all but Tyz) will start to receive +2 bonus to attacks, weapon damage and saves vs fear and charms until further notice.

Tyz takes 7 points of bludgeoning damage.

After damage reduction, Oberon takes only 1 points of damage, but you'll need to beat a 17 to avoid a trip attempt.

On to round 3!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 17/22 AC: 18, t 13, ff 15; DR 2/cold iron

Spoiler
    Show
    Resist Trip: (1d20+3)[17]; Strength mod + BAB? Do I factor in Non-combatant penalty? -2 if necessary.
    C'mon! No Whammies! NO WHAMMIES!! STOP!!!

Spot: (1d20)[4]
    Listen: (1d20)[8]
    I'll make another post with Round 3 actions after the outcome of this is decided...

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    SO close, but ties go to the attacker, as in an attack roll of 16 hitting AC 16. You're tripped.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Oberon
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP: 17/22 AC: 18, t 13, ff 15; DR 2/cold iron

Knocked to the ground by the wolf's attack, Oberon rolls over and fires a blast of eldritch energy at the wolf-boy. "A little help!" he calls.

Spoiler
    Show
    You just wanted to dish out some of the Trippin' Love you got in Auromar! What is it with Warlocks and Trip?
    Attack: (1d20+5)[18]
    Crit?: (1d20+5)[23]
    Damage: (3d6+1)[8] plus 2 for Jonah's song?

28. - Top - End - #208

Duran yells out, "Fight me ya stupid beasts!" as he swings his hammer at whichever of the two wolf-men look to be injured worst.

Rolls:

29. - Top - End - #209

Tyz

Crush me like an insect? First your horse then you! Ill cut you down like a TREE! Tyz yells thwacking away at the goat-man. Fall down ye tosser!

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Round 3!

Tyz strikes twice at the goat-man, but both times his blade is turned aside by his thick leather armour. The goat-man rasps at him.

Horse? Horse! By my honour as a d'Amberville, you will lie beneath the ground tonight!

Jonah's song continues. It's easy to hear him float back close to Oberon, perhaps ready to lend support next round.

The Warlock manages to loose a blast at the wolf-rider who still faced him, although the wolf slips in and bites him again as he focuses on his attack. The blast knocks the wolf-riding wolf-man off his mount completely, and he lands heavily on the ground, not moving.

Duran does seem to manage to focus the two riders' attention on himself. He slams his hammer into the wolf-rider he has disarmed. The blow catches the lupine on the side of the head, also knocking him from his mount to the ground.

The goat man points again at Oberon.

That one, that one! Quickly! The little one is mine.

Gripping his mace two-handed, the burly goat-headed man slams it into Tyz' body with great force.

The two riderless wolves slink backwards away from the fight with Duran and Oberon. The wolf whose rider Oberon felled trots backwards to sniff hesitantly at the unmoving body of its rider, while the one whose rider was knocked down by Duran simply withdraws and bolts back to the hole in the side of the hill.

Meanwhile, the two new wolf-riders lunge forward, again giving a wide berth to Tyz and the goat-headed man. Neither is able to navigate the increasingly crowded battlefield enough to get in an effective strike, but they crowd close to the still-prone warlock, eager to carve him up in a moment.

Spoiler
    Show
    So, everyone is now getting the effects of the song.

Tyz and Jonah hear a creaking in the trees back along the path. Out of the corner of his eye, Duran sees a figure hiding behind a tree, just off the path to the east.

My understanding is that Eldritch Blast is a SLA that provokes Attacks of Opportunity. Since there's no way for Oberon to have moved out of melee range without drawing AoO's, the blast does in fact draw a bite from the wolf. After DR, he takes an additional 3 points of damage. The good news is that the rider's attack missed completely.

I swear, I'm not recycling Auromar! This adventure was published in 1981.

Crappy Map, end of round 3:

|
    |....|..w|
    |
    |.....G
    |.......T
    |.w
    |..D.. W
    |....O W
    |...J
    |
    |.......................TREE
    |---------------\ X
    \
    |-------------
    |....................\

small w= big wolf without rider
    X = Mysterious figure glimpsed by Duran.