New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Adventurers' Guild Team Adder IC

The mists of a cool morning in early spring burn away as the bright southern sun rises over the towers and minarets of East Bridgeport. Every day is Market Day in this thriving city, and a myriad of sights, sounds, and smells delight the senses. The smells of fresh bread and today's catch of fish mingle pleasantly. Merchants in booths sell olive oil, wine, cloth, and spices, while farmers sell produce out of their carts while their oxen stand patiently, chewing their cud. A young halfling goes from door to door, struggling with his wheelbarrow piled high with squares of peat, but smiling as coins from each door clink into his purse. At one corner, a street vendor shaves the first savory slices of meat from a kebab for a group of dwarven lumberjacks who are too hungry to pay any mind to the playful catcalls from a pair of gnome sailors. A few tall soldiers patrol the streets, watchful but still relaxed, as there is rarely trouble in this part of town. Always, there is the cry of the gulls and, if one listens carefully, the soft sound of the waves in the harbor.
    The cobblestone streets are busy, as is the huge bridge that spans the Timber River over to West Bridgeport, the less affluent but older side of town known especially for the rich culture of the many halflings who have lived there for centuries. A few young boys fish from the bank next to the small piers where shirtless laborers hustle dwarven goods off of river barges. Curiously, a motley group of five adults (you) are standing on the riverbank beneath the overhang of the great bridge, somewhat awkwardly making small talk or absent-mindedly skipping stones, as if they are waiting for something.
    A few minutes pass, then a wizened halfling can be seen gingerly making his way down to the riverbank where the five stand. He is clothed in religious-looking robes and wears a silver medallion that appears to be in the form of a horse rampant on his chest. His eyes sparkle beneath bushy eyebrows as his face wrinkles into a broad smile.

Eldon
    "Ah, excellent! I see the bards have spread the word of our little venture far and wide indeed! I am Father Eldon Highburrow, one of the founding members of the Adventurers' Guild. Please, follow me -- we can talk as we go, but all your questions will be answered once we arrive at our Guildhall."

Spoiler
    Show
    I suggest roleplaying following him through a maze of streets on the way to the guildhall, and take this time for the characters to get to know each other, because we'll talk all about the guild once you get there. Feel free to be creative if you want to describe the area you're walking through, if something is completely out of line with the idea I have of this city we can always edit it. I think I mentioned before, Istanbul is one of my inspirations for Bridgeport.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2007-12-18 at 08:36 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Matthew

I'm Matthew.

Matthew thinks to himself, "The kobold must be joining too! Wow. I've never seen one this close. I wonder.... how can you tell if they are male or female?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Team Adder IC

{muttered}'m Vlax

Vlax looks wary of the other applicants, particularly the rogue, and isn't making great lengths to start conversation.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:Don't worry, not all my posts will be this long hahaha. This game isn't really made for that is it? Just some 'initial' thoughts from Fin.

Fin flow

"....oh... Right.. Fin... Fin Flow. That's my name"

Fin started to follow, not all that taken back by the activity in the city. After all to him this was the 'norm'. He had grown up here, and he had seen this bustling market place too many times before. Right now Jenny (The second eldest, and as Fin put it 'best with the numbers, and junk') was likely out buying what meager things the family needed with the coin he had earned on his last, and final fight. He really hoped they wouldn't encounter her on the streets, she was over-joyed when he found out she had quit his dangerous job, and she would be none to happy if he had dropped it only to pick up another one, which may very well be 'more' dangerous.

Trying to knock his family concerns from his mind as they walked through the city he tried to take note of his companions, he may very well be working with them all soon! For the most part none of them struck him as strange, with the exception of the Kobold. Ages ago his grandmother had told him tales of creatures like 'kobolds, and goblins' but he hadn't actually SEEN one before, and hell if Fin knew what the critter actualy was! It had yet to speak yet... so maybe it was some sort of.. exotic pet of one of the others?

Mathew struck him as the priestly type. This was of course, utterly wrong, but most of Fins experience with, robed people with a habit of keeping themselves clean was in the form of Priests, not wizards. The Dwarf... well he was everything he expected out of a dwarf thus far. The only thing notable about the last member (Matthias) was that he seemed nearest to Fins age, and for that reason he spoke to him first.

"So uh.... 'aven't caught yer name yet. Never joined this sort a thing before, not sure what to be expecting."
    Last edited by Bribri; 2007-12-31 at 07:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Default Matthew

As they start to move along Matthew silently tries his hand at a guessing game he used to play with the other entertainers. Size up the patrons in the crowd.

OK who do we have here? The dwarf should be fine. You always know where you are with dwarves. He looks like a happy drunk. Probably a big tipper too. You have to respect anyone who caries round a weapon with a haft longer than they are tall. Easy to see what his skills are and they don't involve cutting down trees -- unless the tree is trying to kill you. Best not to say much to him until he's had some beers.

The big tall guy (Fin?) looks like a mean drunk. No, wait... he looks like the sort who never lets himself get drunk. I wonder if he's ever worked as a bouncer.

Then the guy with the short sword.... I don't know maybe a sad drunk? Perhaps he has some weepy story about his last girlfriend leaving him. He looks cheerful right now though. Probably the easiest person to start a conversation with.

I wonder if kobolds drink beer.... I should probably say something in Draconic. Unfortunately most of the phrases I know are more along the lines of "I have bound your soul for a thousand years" than something you could use in a conversation. That was all ridiculous. How amazingly powerful would you have to be to use that phrase?

Matthew always lost when he played at that guessing game.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax looks about the group, taking quick mental notes on who is likely to be most useful when problems arise, as he has found they inevitably do

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Vlax is pessimistic, has little patience for spellcasters and it takes a lot to gain his full trust. He's not the most knowledgable dwarf either. Bear this in mind when you read what he thinks, im not trying to offend anyone

Wizards, too interested in books to care about what really matters in my opinion. But if he can prove his worth then he could really provide this "adventuring group" with all the areas im lacking in.

This Fin guy, looks well built under those thick clothes. Looks a little hard for cash, but I like someone who works for their living. Looks like a hardened fighter too, I wouldn't mind having him behind me when the situation goes down the drain. But if he makes one wisecrack about height, I'll have his legs off.

A kobold, well this could be interesting. Can't quite tell what good it is just yet, but I'll leave that for later. Hope it speaks common...

The other guy looks too shifty for my liking. Like I've seen him before, but can't remember where. If he's a thief, he'll be valuable as an ally, but difficult to trust as one of your own.

Vlax continues watching warily, staying towards the back of the group.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I don't really know what I should do for speaking draconic, so bare with me

Ioth looks at his potential allies and his eyes narrow slightly as they catch sight of Vlax

{mumbles to himself in draconic} "a dwarf huh, hope he doesn't have something against Kobolds."

{in Common} My name is Ioth, A humble servant of Io

(holds up Holy Symbol)
    Last edited by Lord_Asmodeus; 2007-12-18 at 03:33 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Default Matthew

Directed at Fin:
    This is new for me too. I bet they have some more recruits at the guildhall and don't want to have to explain everything twice.

Guildhall? I figured they'd be half a dozen guys in the back of a bar. This all sounds very organised.

Where's everyone from anyway? My home town's way up river near the lake Heart region. I've been up and down this river for a few years now and been to Bridgeport several times before, although I hadn't heard of this adventuring guild before just a few days ago. Is anyone from around here?

Directed at Ioth:
    Ioth, a holy servant of Io huh? How do you come to be so far from home?

Spoiler
    Show
    In draconic "Ioth" means "holy".
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2007-12-18 at 06:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

to Matthew:
    Ah so you know Draconic? (says Ioth excitedly, then after mulling that over for a second), ah... so you speak draconic (he says cringing a little) yes well, the call of Io sang strong in my blood and I had to heed the call, and so I set off, any extra money I make will go back to my tribe however, I couldn't just leave without promising to do anything for them

glances around nervously, then glances at Vlax and cringes again
    I wonder if he heard me, and I wonder who ELSE speaks draconic here
    Spoiler
    Show
    ok for me atleast I'm doing Red for Draconic
    and Blue for common and Italics are thoughts and if its got () around its something small I'm doing like twiddling my thumbs or showing my holy symbol
    Last edited by Lord_Asmodeus; 2007-12-18 at 06:32 PM.
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

10. - Top - End - #10

Griffon

Fin

Well it certainly ain't no critter. Fin thought as Ioth spoke. Holy servant? A Priest? Seemed like an odd job for ... well whatever it was, very... much not what he was used to when it came to holy men. But the Gods call all sorts right? Though He had no royal clue who this 'Io' was. Maybe the head priest of the church?

Still walking forward, he tilted his head only slightly towards Matthew grinning a bit, having the tiniest of bit of pride in his hometown despite everything "Ah, born n' raised here myself, though we haven't heard a whole lot about it either, sept what the bards been singing."

Spoiler
    Show
    For the heck of it, Knowledge local on what's been going on with this 'guild' in the city the past few weeks. (1d20+4)[15]
    Last edited by Bribri; 2007-12-18 at 07:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax I wonder why Ioth keeps glancing at me, is he just as paranoid as I am? anyway he's a cleric, so it's good to have him here

I'm from the north, got thrown out of the cavern a few years ago for "violent and barbaric behaviour". I've been around the area a bit, came here and heard of this adventuring guild in a bar, so here I am.

12. - Top - End - #12

Eldon
    "Ah, here we are!" Eldon stops at an iron gate and opens it. A flagstone path of about a hundred feet cuts through an overgrown garden of bushes and small trees to the entry of a large house, which looks as though it could have once belonged to a very wealthy family, but where fine roof tiles and intricately carved shutters are missing, they have been replaced by mismatching cheap substitutes. Eldon opens the double doors. "Please, come in."

You step into a foyer that stretches across the front of the house. There is a stairway going up on each end, and to your front you are separated from another room by strings of glass beads hanging from a wide double doorway. From the other doorway in the foyer, next to the staircase on the right, comes a large, well-muscled man, followed by a frowning, middle-aged gnome with spectacles pushed down on his nose. A stout human woman and a wide-eyed boy who looks to be about nine stand on the stairs to the right.

Bruce
    "Well met, well met!" booms the man jovially. He has lost most of his hair, and his right eye socket is scarred shut. He is wearing riding boots and breeches with a loose, embroidered shirt, and has a short sword on his belt. "Welcome to the Adventurers' Guildhall. I am the so-called 'guildmaster,' but please call me Bruce. Eldon and I founded this guild along with Lankin here, who knows a good business opportunity when he sees one! Lankin is our quartermaster - he has made agreements with several merchants in town to give us discount prices, provided you adventurers go through him for all your equipment needs." Lankin nods in agreement. The woman on the steps coughs. "Oh, and of course," says Bruce, "this is my wife Elga and our son Brelgan. The three of us live upstairs on this side of the house, so I'd appreciate it if you will respect our privacy. You are of course welcome to use the Library behind me. Now, let me show you where you'll be staying."

Up the stairs on the left side of the house is a large room, the ceiling slanted to the pitch of the roof, with narrow windows. The room is jammed full of bunkbeds and wooden chests. A few of the beds have bedrolls on them with the closest chests closed and locked. Under each bunkbed is a battered tin chamberpot. A curtain is pulled across the end of the room closest to the street, hiding a few of the bunkbeds from view. On the opposite wall is a fireplace, presumably sharing a chimney with the fireplace in the common room below. A smallish man who looks to be in his thirties is snoring on the bottom bunk closest to the unlit fireplace, a heavy crossbow next to his chamberpot. "This is where you'll be staying, unless you have a home in Bridgeport and you'd rather stay there, as Eldon and Lankin do," says Bruce in hushed tones. "We have a few other Adventurers who live here, but I doubt you'll see any of them for a few days. Bil here is our night guard. Dependable as a rock, but not very sociable. I suppose the job suits him well." He leads you back down to the foyer.

Bruce then pushes through the strings of beads opposite the main entrance and leads you into the largest room in the house. There is a fireplace at the far end, a bar to the left with barstools, and behind the bar is a large dumbwaiter and a door to the back of the property. A few pathetic-looking hunting trophies and unimpressive weapons are mounted high on the walls. A comely young woman with dark hair and well-toned arms, wearing a simple undyed woolen dress, is taking chairs down from atop the several tables in the room. "This is our Common Room," says Bruce. The kitchen and storage rooms are below us, but the stairs down to them are just outside. Ana is here during the days and evenings, but she lives with her brother and his wife just a block away. She does not speak, but she listens well, and that's a good quality in a barmaid in my book!" Ana smiles prettily, then Bruce leads you outside, quietly muttering, "A good quality in any woman, for that matter..." Ana raises an eyebrow as evidence that she has a keen ear indeed.

In the back yard there is a stone patio, and cellar doors that are unlocked and open, revealing brown-stained stone steps leading under the house. Stacks of firewood, a well, and a small stable are closeby. The iron fence that runs around the property has a small gate in the back that opens to an alley, with a large stone jar sitting outside the gate. A cart drawn by a mule stops at the gate, and a miserable-looking teenage boy hops from the back. He swaps the jar with an identical one from the cart and climbs back in. The driver of the cart is an older man smoking a pipe. Bruce cries, "Hallo, Merrill!" The man turns to face you and bows his head, removes his soft leather cap and waves it with a flourish, as if he were a courtier saluting his king. He then gives a shake to the reins and the mule plods forward to the next house.

As you turn back to face Bruce, Lankin comes up the steps with padlocks and keys and begins to silently hand one to each of you. The padlocks match those that were on some of the chests in the Bunkroom upstairs.

"Merrill is a fellow guildmaster, believe it or not," says Bruce. He got fed up with some of the Council's decisions a few months ago, and stopped dung collection throughout Bridgeport until he got his own guild! My, that was a smelly three weeks! I know it sounds ridiculous, but the Doge, the Marshal, and many of the priests supported him, what with the way some of the guilds have been behaving. Turned out well for us, because you can thank Merill for our own guild status - his was the deciding vote! I don't need to tell you that the idea of an Adventurer's Guild was not a popular one, but you know what they say: Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity. And politicians desperate for a shift in the balance of power created the perfect opportunity for me to spend my pension on this little venture. Oh, that boy on the cart is Quinn - I'm afraid he's a bit of a delinquent, but ever since they put him in Merrill's charge he seems to have mended his ways."

"Well, like I said, down those steps are the kitchen and stores, and that's about it. I'm going to go help Eldon finish drawing up your contracts. In case the bards didn't mention it - they usually gloss over details like this - we'll provide your room and board, ammunition and a few other supplies, stabling for your animals, and all the ale you care to drink! In return we ask that you not do anything to give the guild a bad reputation - we've enough enemies as it is - and we'll need fifty percent of your profits until we recover our start-up costs, at which time we can renegotiate your contracts. Oh, and Father Eldon will provide his services free of charge whenever he's at the guildhall, which is most days. Take some time to explore, get settled in if you'll be staying with us, and ask anyone any questions you have. Ana has some eggs and salted pork - and ale if you want it this early - waiting for you in the Common Room."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

Vlax cheers up a bit with the mention of free ale, and after politely waiting for Bruce to finish, he moves swiftly back towards the common room for the food and drink. He doesn't even remove his axe from his back, just simply starts eating and quaffing ale.

He raises his mug to Ana, saying "This is good stuff!"

14. - Top - End - #14

Ana smiles with her mouth slightly open, and her eyes twinkle as if with laughter. The ale is not what most people would call good, but it is palatable.

15. - Top - End - #15

Default Matthew (Human, Illusionist)

Matthew is relieved to hear the guild master's friendly and enthusiastic speech in contrast to the rather brooding atmosphere of the march to the guildhall. He seems to have control of things very well. Sounds like the sort of man who could command the respect of a tough fighter type. Vlax seems to already have made himself at home, visibly more relaxed. Something about the words "free" and "beer" perhaps.

Maybe this is all going to work out.

Vlax, save me a seat and don't drink too much yet. I want to challenge you to a drinking contest -- if you'll give me odds -- I'll match every two pints you drink with one for me. Let's get our money's worth. I'm just going to check out the library for a minute. So don't get too far ahead of me.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

obviously more open and relaxed in the presence of ale

"ok lad, I'll wait for you, and I'll give you your odds, you look a bit scawney to me, and no sense in having you hammered after a few minutes!"

Vlax takes his Greataxe from his back, and leans it against the table, getting himself more comfortable in the chair.

well the wizard isn't what I expected, he's still into the books, but he's the first spellcaster I've seen who's into drinking, maybe he's ok after all.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Ioth heads to his room and looks it over, after a few moments of consideration he leans his spear against the wall and puts his crossbow and his bolts in the chest at the foot of the bed and closes it, he then puts his backpack on the chest and fishes around in it until he pulls out a bottle of bitterleaf oil, he takes a little out of the bottle and rubs it over his scales and then rubs it off with a small cloth, then places then back into his backpack, and after another moments consideration, places his miners pick in the chest as well. He then takes a moment to make sure his scales are clean and healthy looking, he trudges off to the Common Room

Well, there's not much to do, I can at least get better acquainted with the people I will be traveling with, and try to get on good terms with the dwarf.

18. - Top - End - #18

Default Matthew (Human, Illusionist)

Matthew checks to See if the library has anything on "Io" some sort of kobold or dragon deity....?

I really need to study up on this stuff. People expect a wizard to just know things like this. Unfortunately spending most of your time in a pub hanging with musicians isn't the most studious environment for religious education.

19. - Top - End - #19

Griffon

The guild was, admittedly, not quite what Fin was expecting. It felt like he was walking through a strangers home when they walked about, rather then an organized guild hall, though he figured he would just have to get used to the place first. Everyone... seemed friendly enough, the only time he really frowned in the whole guide was at the throw away comment Bruce tossed at Ann (assuming we heard it fine) something that sounded a we bit too much like something his father would say. "I'd be one of those" He added quickly as Bruce mentioned 'adventurers from town' as he showed the living quarters "Don't think you'll be seeing me spend much nights. Might be a good place to store something I don't want the Young-'uns at though....".

A good bit after that went over his head. Fin certainly didn't have a head for anything political, and didn't really get how they needed 'permission' to start a guild in the first place. Though he did understand '50% of your profits', and 'cheaper prices at the merchants' well enough, but out of everything payment was what he was keeping his ear out for.

Once all was said and done, he gave a quick glance as Matthew left for the library, not having really any reason to go there himself (unless they have hooked on phonics in there), and pulled out a seat for himself at the table.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (next post in the main thread for the adventuring guild)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax smiles at Fin, and continues eating, refraining from downing his mug, waiting for Matthew to come back.

I wonder what happened to that other guy? He was very quiet

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Ioth looked around the Common Room and tried to pick out his future traveling comapanions from the assembled adventurers
    bah, humans look so alike to me its hard to tell who's who, I've definately gotten better but I still need improvement
    he spotted Matthew, Vlax, and Fin after a moment, then he thought to himself isnt there supposed to be another here? Thats weird.

22. - Top - End - #22

Bruce (entering the common room)
    "Your contracts are prepared, bold adventurers, and if you will all make your way into the library Eldon will help you sign them, then he will enter your names in the Roll at the Council Chambers when the open in an hour. So please, finish your food and drink, but it would be helpful if Eldon could be on his way before the Chambers get too busy, or the good Father will be there all day. Oh, and once you sign you may take your insignia, and also Lankin has some small welcome gifts for you down in the stores."

(Should you go into the library, this is what you will see.)
    Spoiler
    Show

The library is decorated in an odd assortment of styles. A map, which appears to be fairly new, adorns one wall, with a worn spot over the city of Bridgeport. A few shelves have books and scrolls on them, but most are empty. The table appears to have been fashioned from a large wooden door, and there are two rough-hewn benches about six feet long, one on either side of the table. On the table are pen, ink, and sheets of parchment (the contracts). Also on the table are several small silver brooches, in the form of three intersecting lines: a winding road, or perhaps a river, overlaid with a crossed sword and a staff. A narrow window opening onto the back yard allows some light into the room, but there is also a candelabra on the table and a torch in a bracket on the wall.

(If you are literate in Common, this is what the Contracts say - Eldon will read it accurately to you if you request it.)
    Spoiler
    Show

CONTRACT
    Let it be known that the signer of this contract is a full member of the Adventurer's Guild of the Fair City of Bridgeport, having agreed to the following expectations and benefits:

Expectations: Member is expected to spend most of his or her days actively seeking opportunities for experience, glory, and profit. Member will contribute his or her talents to support other members and the Guild as a whole in pursuance of the same. Member will exercise reasonable discretion in these activities, especially when conducted within the city and surrounding area of Bridgeport. Member will endeavor at all times to prevent the Guild from dishonor or excessive financial loss. Member will contribute 50% of monies earned through any activity to the care of the guild treasurer, until such time that the value of 1000 gp have been contributed. Thenceforth, member need only contribute a tithe of 10%. Should a member experience material gain in a form other than coinage, a reasonable contribution to the guild is expected.
    Failure to follow these expectations may result in temporary or permanent forfeiture of your benefits, and a guild officer may ultimately request the Council of Guilds expel you from the Roll of Members.

Benefits: Member shall enjoy free room, board, stabling, and drink at the Adventurers' Guildhall. This privilege shall not be extended to family or guests without the approval of a guild officer. Members are free to go where they please and do as they please, provided activities meet the above expectations. The member shall enjoy the physical sanctuary of the guildhall and representation by the Guildmaster in the Council of Guilds. Requests for loans or grants of monies or equipment, when necessary for a highly profitable adventure or in situations of dire need, may be granted by a majority of guild officers. Should a member be wounded or fall ill while conducting legitimate guild activities and return to the guildhall alive, his healing shall be provided for with guild resources. After ten years of active adventuring, member shall enjoy guild benefits for life, as long as his or her conduct remains good (as determined by a majority of guild officers), whether or not he or she continues to seek adventure.

The new member shall proudly wear the insignia of Adventurers, and a guild officer shall enter the new member's name into the Roll of Members of the Council of Guilds at the first possible opportunity. This contract shall not expire until such time as the new member should resign his membership, or such time as the Council of Guilds decides his membership must be revoked, in accordance with the laws of Bridgeport.

______________, New Member
    Bruce Wrightson, Guildmaster
    Eldon Highburrow, 2nd Adventurer
    Lankin Copperbags, Guild Treasurer

(If you go down to the kitchen and stores, this is what you see.)
    Spoiler
    Show

It takes a moment for your eyes to adjust to the dim light in the cool basement of the guildhall. There are two fireplaces, sharing their chimneys with those of the common rooms above. There are three spits for roasting meat, cauldrons on hooks that can swivel in and out of the fireplace, and various other cooking accoutrements. A block of kitchen knives, a mortar and pestle, and a small supply of herbs and raw vegetables sit on one side of a table identical to the one in the library. Wooden buckets, sealed with pitch, are in one corner, along with some cleaning supplies. A calico cat, not fully grown but missing part of one ear, yowls at you and skitters behind some wooden pallets, on which are stacked sacks of grain or flour. Some casks and bottles are stored next to the dumbwaiter which may convey them to the bar above.
    Walls made of large bricks separate the half of the room that is furthest from the door (and closest to the main street) into three smaller rooms. Two of the rooms have no doors, and you can see they are each lit with dim, slow-burning torches. You can see smoked and salted meats hanging in one room, while the other is crowded with various adventuring equipment. The third room has a sturdy door, locked with two large padlocks.
    Lankin sits on a stool outside the equipment room. He hands you a sack with five days' trail rations, five torches, and a standard bundle of ammunition for your ranged weapon (slings and bullets are available for those without a ranged weapon). He then solemnly counts out ten gp worth of coins to any character who answers that he or she lacks this amount (any combination of gold, silver, and copper that you want), explaining that it should be used as your expense account for guild purposes.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2007-12-20 at 11:25 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax quickly finishes his food and downs the last of his ale. He picks up his axe again and fastens it to his back. Before heading to the library he says to matthew "Looks like we're going to have that competition later lad"

Vlax then walks out to the library, where he requests the contract to be read to him. After listening intently, he nods and scrawls his first name (the only thing he can read or write) on the line.

Vlax then heads downstairs to the stores. He feels quite at home here, being a dwarf and therefore used to being underground. He recieves the pack, but asks Lankin "Do you have any throwing axes? Im more at home using them than a sling"

24. - Top - End - #24

Default Matthew (Human Illusionist)

I suppose I ought to read this first... blah blah blah... 50% .... blah blah up to 1000gp ... leave whenever you want. Fair enough. Oh no ... looks like they want you to sign with two names. Let's see now. I could go with Matthew Littleton after my birth town. Or how about ...

Matthew signs himself as "Matthew Estella" taking the name of his grandmother and former tutor in the illusionary arts.

To Fin (or anyone else wondering about the 50% cut):
    That could be a good sign. All the best paying joints take the biggest cuts. It means they figure we're going to make a pile of money at this and will be able to afford it.

Matthew catches up with Vlax. Oh and I can't use a sling I'm afraid. Could I have a crossbow? If you have a broken one I might be able to mend it.

25. - Top - End - #25

Lankin (to Matthew)

"As a matter of fact, we do have a broken light crossbow here, I'm not quite sure where it came from... ah, here it is, and here are some bolts for it in case you manage to fix it. Thanks for taking it off my hands."
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2007-12-20 at 12:47 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Griffon

Fin Flow

He let out a sigh of relief, quite happy they had the contracts ready before half the room was drunk, going to the library first.

Fin signs his name (or rather 'prints his name' crudely) 'Fin Flow at the bottom of the document after it's read out to him, trying to be as polite as possible around Eldon, not forgetting his thank-yous, and what not. He 'is' another holy man after all, all be it not of Fins own faith. Still, a lot of the aspects of the contract seemed... odd to him, particularly the 1000 gold requirement. That was more then Fin had ever earned in his life! Were they really going to be racking up that much gold in this job? He glanced at Mathew a little skeptical but shrugged.

"Hoping you be right about that"

He follows Matthew down to the storage after that, and quite happily accepted the free gold, and food. Giving a "Thanks!" To Lanken in an instant.

He did... take one of the slings, cocking a brow, and finding it rather strange they'd be taking something like 'these' on an actual 'adventure' "Haven't touched one of these since I was a Little'un. 'Course, all I got from it was a broken window and a tanned hide hahaha" tucking it away he glanced back at Lanken with his right eye "Don't think I'll be needing anymore then that. Though, I'd be wondering how we'll be getting jobs in all this. Will folks hire the guild, and they'll send us out to do work? Or are we going to be walking 'round looking for it on our own? Bit a both I'm figuring..?"

27. - Top - End - #27

Default Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

Matthew tries to take a peek into the store room as Lankin is getting the broken crossbow. The crossbow looks like it might be mended with a simple cantrip, but Matthew hasn't prepared that spell today.

Spoiler
    Show

To Lankin:
    Thanks, sir. I hope this venture makes a lot of money for you. That's right isn't it? You are the financial backer of the guild? Are you an adventurer yourself too?

To Vlax:
    If they have no throwing axes we could use the expense account cash to get some.

To Lankin:
    Is there any particular shop we should buy from in town?

Hearing Fin's remarks Matthew thinks, Well that's a smart question. This guy is more than just a big pile of muscle.

28. - Top - End - #28

Lankin

"Me - an adventurer? Hahahahaha! Though I must say, just keeping the books for this place is an adventure in itself. Bruce took his whole pension in one lump sum, including what he got for the loss of his eye, and sunk it all into this place, along with Eldon's meager funds. I think they would have lost it all to no avail if Elga - who knew me from church - hadn't persuaded them to bring me into the partnership. No offense, but adventurer's don't usually have much... business sense.

Speaking of business sense, no, I don't have any throwing axes, and if if I did, they wouldn't be part of your little fruit basket here. I still can't get over the ten gold, but Bruce vouched that all of you would be staying on and that somebody would need it for sure for some healing potion or whatnot, and that it would end up paying off tenfold. Well, at least you're the best of the best. Bruce said he was very selective when he went through your references and interviewed you.

"Anyway, if you want an item, it's best if you tell me ahead of time, and I'll go hunt down the best deal in town and bring some back here within a day or two. Please don't go shopping for equipment in Bridgeport or you'll ruin my reputation with the craftsmen. I'll look for some throwing axes this afternoon, and if you've got the cash, I'll sell them to you at cost."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

to Lankin, slightly taken aback after detecting a hint of irritation at his question"Well I'm sorry if I'm asking too much of you. I'll stick with the sling for now, let me know how much you'd be wanting for a set of throwing axes later."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Ioth heads to the library. When he arrives he reads the contract, and signs it "Ioth of Kaerinath" {In Common} I hear it is common for people to use their hometown as a title, or something along those lines, well my Lair was named after the Red Dragonness we serve. Afterward Ioth asks {In Common} I already have a crossbow, I could use some more bolts for it though