New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Team Adder IC

Matthias appears to be less decisive than his companions, and continues to study the contract closely. Meanwhile, Bruce shows a new person into the library.

Bruce
    "Here's a latecomer, Eldon! Berwin, is it? Evidently the bardsong he heard left out the part about the dawn pick-up at the Bridge, but somehow he found his way here, ho! Sign your contract quickly, reverend, and get to the basement so Eldon and Lankin can get on with their business, then take some time to relax and meet the other folks who signed on today."

Upon catching sight of Berwin, Eldon raises his eyebrows in surprise. He looks at Bruce, who simply shrugs and leaves the room. Eldon quickly composes himself, and primly presents Berwin with a contract.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Berwin

"Well yes, Berwin is right. Excuse my late arrival, there was a little disruption in our garden yesterday, which delayed my departure."
    The cleric introduces himself with a high raspy voice.

He takes the contract and sits down to read it once in it's entirety and signing it without any display of emotion as Berwin, servant of Neraynh. He hands it back to Eldon and nods with a faint smile. Berwin then takes the brooch, fiddles around with it a bit, seemingly undecided where to put it, and finally sticks it onto his Armor.

Walking down to the stores, he gladly accepts the food with the same nod and smile, but declines the other offers, "I have everything I need," and gently strokes over his pendant.

At last, he walks back up to the others, nods and smiles to everyone, takes a seat and carefully puts his shield and pick down next to him. All this, he does without arousing much attention, wouldn't it be for the slight scent of decay, that emanates from his clothes.
    Last edited by ubersquid; 2007-12-20 at 09:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Matthias

It is this very scent of decay that awakens Matthias from his mental slumber. Shaking his head lightly, he looks up at Bruce, seemingly just out of a dream.

They think me a fool already, Matthias thinks. I'll show them fool!

Grabbing the contract, having already read it before losing himself to his daydream, Matthias quickly sketches out "Matthias Foolson" in cursive and slams the contract back down on the desk.

He immediately marches down to the common room. "My apologies for my absentmindedness, fellows," he says with a foolish grin. "Won't happen again."
    Tornatar by Serpentine.
    [Images removed - total image heights too high]
    Original Tornatar by Threeshades. Second Tornatar by The Chilli God. Demonized Tornatar by Threeshades.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Fins question goes, mostly unanswered as Lanken gets distraction from the 'adventurer' comment. Not wanting to interrupt him Fin just drops the idea for now, and heads back up to the common room, spotting Matthias and waving via a nod.

To Matthias
    "Seemed a bit out of it since we got here there. More then one thing on yer mind I'm gathering?" Fin says, casually glancing around at the common room, somewhere he'd imagine he'll have to get used to seeing before taking a seat.
    Last edited by Bribri; 2007-12-21 at 12:11 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35

Default Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

Hey Fin, you're a local right? Do you know anything about the local guild politics in Bridgeport? Lankin seemed a bit ... hard to read there. Perhaps it's nothing, but I wouldn't mind knowing a bit more about the guilds now I'm in one.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's see if I can make a Knowledge: Local roll.
    Knowledge: Local - (1d20+6)[15]

Oh excuse me for interrupting! Matthias isn't it? I'm Matthew. You want to hang out with the senior adventurers then? As he jokes, he gestures in a manner to include Fin, Vlax, Ioth and himself. We were all signed up this morning. You were right behind us; what happened?

Without really giving anyone much chance to respond he goes on....

Oh and someone else new.....

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

{In Common} Senior adventurer? ME? thats a good one, truly this will be my first actual "Adventure" before this I merely took some jobs as a caravan guard or to help scare off some goblins, I've not had an eventful career so far, though I'm hoping my lack of experience won't get me killed in some gruesome manner Ioth interjects from the side.
    Last edited by Lord_Asmodeus; 2007-12-21 at 01:16 AM.
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

"Well If you count wandering around, drinking a lot, bar brawls, and defending yourself againast the local wildlife, I've had a little experience in adventuring.

8. - Top - End - #38

Ana bursts into the Common Room from the back door, looking wide-eyed and panicked. She tugs at the arms of all the adventurers in the room, gesturing frantically through the doorway towards one of the large stone jars that are usually kept just outside the alley gate. For some reason, this jar is on its side in the middle of the path from the back door to the alley gate, its wooden cover lying on the ground nearby.

Edit: The results of Matthew's Knowledge check:
    Spoiler
    Show

I) The city of Bridgeport and its surrounding area, collectively known as The Fair City of Bridgeport, is ruled by three branches of government.
    A) The Head of State and Chief Magistrate is known by the title of "Doge" (pronounced with a long "o", soft "g", and silent "e") and is elected for life by the Council of Guilds, each guild having one vote through its guildmaster. The current Doge was once master of the Smiths' guild and took the name of Aloysius III upon his accession to power forty years ago.
    B) The Council of Guilds, in addition to electing the Doge, has tremendous power of the purse. All levies of gold, goods, or government employees (including the Army) must be approved by the Council (except in case of a Holy Directive). The Doge has the power to do as he pleases once these materials or persons are appropriated for government use, but he knows that if he doesn't follow the Council's recommendations on expenditures, the Council will be less likely to give him future levies he requests. Voting power for levies is not equal among the guilds, but rather works by a seniority system: the most junior guild gets one vote, the second most junior gets two votes, and so forth all the way up to the most senior guild. Seniority is determined by the chronological order in which the guilds were approved to join the council. Votes by one guild are all-or-nothing and determined by the guildmaster. The different guilds have different methods of determining who their guildmaster is.
    C) The third branch, known as "The High Priests" has little power except in great crisis. Each of the most senior clerics of the three most commonly worshiped deities in The Fair City (Pelor, Yondalla, and Obad-Hai) has the authority to declare a State of Emergency in The Fair City. This triumvirate then has the power to issue certain directives that are outside the usual laws, but these directives must be unanimous (all three clerics) or they are invalid. Examples of Holy Directives in Bridgeport history include a draft of citizens for the Army and seizure of private possessions needed by the Army (both done when the city was attacked by Vanorian cavalry centuries ago) and various quarantines of the port or certain parts of the city, usually for public health reasons. States of Emergency are actually declared every few years or so by one High Priest or another, but they are usually only political saber-rattling with no real power behind them. It is very rare that the High Priests of three different deities would ever agree on anything, much less a Holy Directive!
    D) The formation of a new guild must be approved by a simple majority of guildmasters plus the approval of the Doge.
    II) There are no known powerful wizards or sorcerors in The Fair City, but it is vaguely rumored that some of the guildmasters had supernatural assistance in gaining power in recent years.
    III) The Army of Bridgeport is small but professional, and is commanded by an appointee of the Doge who holds the rank of Marshal. There is no Navy, but the Army has a few small boats for harbor and river patrols/defense.
    IV) Among the citizens of The Fair City, most humans worship Pelor, most halflings worship Yondalla, and gnomes are about evenly split between Garl Glittergold and Obad-Hai. Other deities are worshipped to a smaller extent. Not all followers of each deity fall within the traditional racial delineations. Bridgeport tradition names Obad-Hai not only as the god of nature, but also as the god of the sea, and he is frequently depicted with a garland of seaweed rather than oak leaves.
    V) Some areas of the city include:
    A) The Port. On the coast of the ocean to the east of the Timber River. Known for pubs full of rowdy (but fortunately small) gnome sailors.
    B) Old East Bridgeport. Just north of the Port, a mostly industrial area. This was the center of activity in Bridgeport before the Timber River trade routes opened with the Dwarves. There are quite a few homes that were once considered grand and are now crumbling (including the Adventurers' Guildhall).
    C) The Docks. On the eastern bank of the Timber River. The center of trade with human, dwarf, and halfling cities inland.
    D) New East Bridgeport. This part of town, once farmland, was developed when Aloysius III became Doge. A grid of well organized streets contains new government buildings and the more important guildhalls, as well as the homes of many government and guild officials.
    E) West Bridgeport. Populated mostly by halflings, it is home to a small-boat fishing industry as well as many peat-cutters and peat-carters.
    F) The Great Bridge Area, on both banks of the river, has no residential homes, but serves as a thriving downtown for shopping areas and entertainment venues.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2007-12-21 at 12:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

Rushing outside and seeing the dung collection jar on the ground Matthew's first thought is, "Perhaps there was a spider crawled up in the jar and it scared her". But no, that doesn't seem to fit; Ana isn't that flighty sort of girl. Something's really wrong here. Perhaps there's an intruder? Hey! Is anyone there?

Glancing at Ana for a cue, Matthew quickly looks around the back garden. If the gate is open, he rushes out to the alley and looks up and down it.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot check - (1d20-2)[4]

Spoiler
    Show

We saw the large stone jar when first arriving:

The iron fence that runs around the property has a small gate in the back that opens to an alley, with a large stone jar sitting outside the gate. A cart drawn by a mule stops at the gate, and a miserable-looking teenage boy hops from the back. He swaps the jar with an identical one from the cart and climbs back in. The driver of the cart is an older man smoking a pipe. Bruce cries, "Hallo, Merrill!" The man turns to face you and bows his head, removes his soft leather cap and waves it with a flourish, as if he were a courtier saluting his king. He then gives a shake to the reins and the mule plods forward to the next house. .....

"Merrill is a fellow guildmaster, believe it or not," says Bruce. He got fed up with some of the Council's decisions a few months ago, and stopped dung collection throughout Bridgeport until he got his own guild! My, that was a smelly three weeks!
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2007-12-21 at 11:43 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Matthew sees nothing in the alley.

Spoiler
    Show

DB, good stuff - die rolls justify me giving the party experience points. Now wait for your other party members to post until you post again in this thread (you don't have to do this all the time, just right now while there's some interesting action) - thanks.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Ioth scurries over to the door and peers out, cocking his head as if listening to something

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[4] listen

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[18] spot

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax hurries towards the courtyard, goes past Ioth and moves towards Matthew, stopping between them. He slowly takes his axe from his back. He listens intently and scans the area.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+2)[14] spot
    (1d20+2)[6] listen

13. - Top - End - #43

Ioth catches a glimpse of something moving at the mouth of the jar, but before he can shout a warning, a snake the length of a man's arm strikes from its coiled position at Vlax, who is standing dangerously nearby, axe in hand, scanning for enemies everywhere but at his very feet.

Spoiler
    Show

Surprise attack against Vlax, who is wearing armor but caught flatfooted: (1d20+4)[9]
    Now everybody roll for initiative, including any characters who just now showed up at the back door (50' from the jar, 100' from the alley)

14. - Top - End - #44

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative - (1d20+2)[5]

On his turn, since Matthew is 50' from the action he'll draw his dagger and rush back to see what's going on. His preferred attack would be to throw a dagger from 10' away, and avoid melee, but I'm not sure he'll get that chance this round.

Spoiler
    Show

Besides, Vlax' poison save, as we know now, is pretty darn good!
    Poison snake vs Dwarf? Ha!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[18] right?

On Ioth's turn, Ioth jumps at the snake, intent on snapping it in his jaws, Ioth is 50' away, and his reaction is pure reflex, because his spear and crossbow are still in his room.

16. - Top - End - #46

Default Matthias Foolson (Human Rogue)

Matthias quickly dashes to the door, spotting the snake. He draws his javelin and moves as close as he can to the snake, as quickly as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Too far away to attack, draw weapon, and move all in the same turn.

Initiative (1d20+2)[21]
    Last edited by hyperfreak497; 2007-12-21 at 05:17 PM.
    Tornatar by Serpentine.
    Original Tornatar by Threeshades. Second Tornatar by The Chilli God. Demonized Tornatar by Threeshades.

17. - Top - End - #47

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, all the fun starts while I'm at work. Oh well Fins go! Initive (1d20+2)[15] Also seeing as I didn't get a chance to Fin's Spot, and listen, in the case that it's still relavent. Spot (1d20+5)[11] Listen (1d20+4)[21]

Fins first response to suddenly being dragged outside is confusion, but it quickly becomes apparent why she brought them out there as the snake snaps at Vlax! His first response (once he gets a turn) is to run over to the blasted thing, and stomp its head into the dirt (Charge 50 feet, then unarmed strike).

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+2)[7] - initiative

Spoiler
    Show
    AC flatfooted is 14, so the snake misses

When Vlax gets to react, he goes to cut the snake in half with the greataxe.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Berwin follows the others outside, shield and pick in hand, but as he sees the others all over the snake already, he makes no intent to attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+1)[19]

20. - Top - End - #50

The snake's fangs glance harmlessly off the bottom fringe of Vlax's chain shirt. Matthias runs up, his javelin in hand. Berwin continues to assess the situation, staying out of the way of his companions. Ioth sprints and dives at the snake, attacking with his teeth and claws - exposing his vulnerable head and neck to the snake who takes the opportunity to strike. Fin also sprints, and with the power and speed of a kickboxer drives his heel at the snake.

Spoiler
    Show

The snake's initiative: (1d20+7)[9]

Spoiler
    Show

The SRD doesn't mention anything about Kobolds having a natural attack. The standard unarmed attack (punches, kicks, headbutts) for a small creature is 1d2 nonlethal damage, with a -4 penalty to attack to make it lethal. I think damage from a human bite would be negligible, but I agree a Kobold should get something. House rule: Kobolds get a bite/claw attack of 1d2 lethal damage (no penalty to attack roll), but because they are not highly practiced in using it like a monk or an animal with its natural attack, it draws an attack of opportunity like an unarmed attack does. Oh, and Ioth is wearing his daylight goggles, so he's not dazzled. Standby for my double post, I can't put new rolls in an edited post.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2007-12-22 at 11:34 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Spoiler
    Show

Snake's attack of opportunity against Ioth: (1d20+4)[11]. If he hits, damage is 1 HP plus poison. Ioth and Fin both have a -2 charge penalty to their AC for one round. This snake has a poisonous bite that deals initial and secondary damage of 1d6 Con. The save is Fortitude vs. poison, DC 10.

Ioth's semi-natural bite/claw attack with charge bonus (hope you don't mind that I roll for you to keep things moving here): (1d20+3)[5]. If he hits, damage is (1d2)[1] HP.

Fin's monk unarmed strike with charge bonus: (1d20+6)[26]. If he hits, damage is (1d6+4)[8]

Before Vlax and Matthew can enter the fray, the viper retreats into the bottom of the open stone jar, which is lying on its side.

Viper and kobold fangs both miss. Then Fin crushes the snake's head beneath his heel, instantly killing it. Ana peeks out the back door, trembling and sobbing silently.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2007-12-22 at 12:15 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Cool! Our first monster!
    Not very big. Looks like someone is trying to leave our guild a message.

Ha, that was pretty brave Fin, but I think I'd have left that little snake up to Vlax here. He could probably have picked it up and bitten it's head off safely. Remember how easily he shrugs off poisons? I guess we're all tough adventurers though, so a little snake shouldn't be much.....

Matthew then notices Ana and remembers who was first attacked by the snake.
    His attitude changes suddenly from triumphant to angry.

Damnit! They could have killed Ana!

Matthew starts swearing as only someone who's spent half their life in a bar can. First in common, and then as he runs out of words, in Dwarvish and finally Draconian. At first it's almost funny to hear the little guy going on but he starts to cry through the anger. He rubs his hands in his eyes and falls to his knees angry and tearful. This isn't what I signed up for is it? I thought I'd be bravely fighting monsters. Fair play. Them against me, me and my team mates. Cowards!!

[in draconic]
    Aaaargh! What kind of evil bastard would do something like this ....

[voice in Matthew's head]
    Hm. What kind indeed? It's quite a clever ploy.

Spoiler
    Show
    the voice in his head is in draconic - in case it matters
    I'm still trying to get a font that looks right and is readable, although I don't know if this episode will be repeated yet. This wasn't exactly the direction I had planned for poor Matthew.
    Anyway so far as anyone can tell he's just blowing off steam because all the other text is just his own thoughts.... or something like that.

There's a bit more to this first speech of "Voice in Matthew's head" to come but I think the others will want to post reactions to their first victory and so on before I post the rest of it.

!!!!!?

[voice in Matthew's head]
    Yes. Clever. Does the Guildmaster handle his own manure? No. This was aimed at the servant girl. Now imagine what would have happened if she'd died. Vivacious. Innocent. Vulnerable. Dearly beloved by all those wannabee Justicars in there. All those loose cannons. They would just have to seek revenge. They'd fall over themselves not even knowing who to attack. Chaos. And then the guild council would be so reluctantly forced to act against the Adventurer guild. No trail of evidence. Completely deniable. Smart move. Clever.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-01 at 12:45 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax smiles at the complement of "being able to rip its head off." When Matthew breaks down he feels sorry for him and wants to help, but isn't sure how to react and doesn't know what to do.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is the uncivilised trait kicking in

Instead he settles to crouch down and take a better look at the snake.

I wonder who would do this? Could it have anything to do with that youth from the dung collectors guild? or maybe his guild master was in on it too? Ahh, maybe I should leave the thinking to those more suited to it. Though Matthew's not in any position for that right now, I wonder whats up with him?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Berwin turns to Ana and looks at her with a smirk. "I guess you won't be requiring my services today, yes?" Turning to the others again he continues: "And neither does one of my new comrades i suppose. The animal however..." He walks up to Vlax and kneels down next to him. He touches the vipers head, mumbling a short blessing an then begins to check it out as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure, but this could be common knowledge: Can this be a natural occurence or is there no doubt that the snake was deliberately put there to attack someone?

25. - Top - End - #55

Re-quivering his javelin, Matthias turns and places a hand on Ana's shoulder. "It will be fine, miss," he says softly. "We'll always be here to help you."
    Tornatar by Serpentine.

26. - Top - End - #56

The snake is bright green with a triangular head and large fangs with drops of liquid oozing from the points. It looks like it would belong more in a rain forest than in the pastures around Bridgeport.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2007-12-22 at 04:43 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    critical to the snakes head huh? I swear I remember making my own rolls for smashing the things head.... not that I'm complaining! Nice quick end to that fight. As I've done once before a few of Fins comments here are in the 'past' just showing his responses, and what he's 'doing' while others are talking, or freaking out. This is mostly to make up for me not posting as often as I'd like. I kinda Had a game to run last so it took up most of my time.

Fin looks down at whats left of the snake, both eyes open. Kicking it from his boot, it was pretty clear the thing was dead, brains, and blood splattered about. As his left eye closed, he came up for far more reasonable reasons for the snake to be there: Someones pet who had gotten away; was out from the country somewhere, and had slithered into the vase looking for mice, and things before getting shipped off. The idea of foul play only came to his mind for a second... but right now there wasn't any REAL reason to suspect this was anything else but an accident.

Before saying anything else, he cautiously looks into the Jar, making sure there are no more surprises. (And if there are he'll be ready to snap their necks!)

The present (ignore the following if there ARE more snakes in there, as Fin would obviously be busy doing something about them if there are.)

"Critters ain't going to be hurting anyone now" Fin says, turning around, and giving the shivering Ana a smile, before glancing down at the Berwin, brushing the hair out from under his eyes as Berwin, and Vlax take, a look at the snake. "Figure he just ran into the Jar looking for Mice, and Got himself stuck?" He says in passing, kneeling down as the other two look at it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if I can attempt this or not but Knowledge:local on the snake. Fins trying to remember if this is a breed that's normally found around these parts or if snakes are common around here at all! (1d20+6)[14] seems you posted while I was typing! Well then let me fix that

He quirks a brow a bit, a little surprised at what the snake looked like "... Well.. no.. that can't be right, this snake ain't no Local, wouldn't be long dead come a cold spell" Now Fin actually had some reason to suspect. What was a snake like this doing here? It still struck him as strange that someone would purposely try to hurt the people here.

But it could of come from port somewhere... plenty of foreign ships come a-shore every day, the snake could of somehow got on board one of them. But that was one hell of a long shot.
    Last edited by Bribri; 2007-12-22 at 04:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

Ana brings her own hand across her body to rest on top of Matthias' hand on her shoulder. She closes her eyes and takes a few deep, slow breaths. She opens her eyes and nods when Fin speaks to her, then gently slips away from Matthias and goes down the exterior steps into the basement, without looking towards the dead viper.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2007-12-22 at 04:50 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax looks up at Fin, shrugs and says "I don't know, I'm wondering if the dung collectors guild, or just that kid had anything to do with it, but that could just be me being paranoid.

Vlax stands up, and goes searching around the courtyard for any other "surprises"

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[8] search check

(if he finds anything, he shouts out so the others know too)
    Last edited by Zyks; 2007-12-22 at 04:50 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Cautiously, the members of Team Adder take their time looking and listening around the back yard of the Adventurers' Guild property, and find nothing remarkable.

Spoiler
    Show
    I played this as if you "Took 20" to Listen and Spot.