New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

This is getting creepy. Should we shout for the others?

Matthew climbs up on to the roof of the manor.
    Give me a boost here will ya Matthias.
    I'm coming up. Don't shoot.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take ten on climb - it's only a halfling house after all, albeit a big one.
    After the others finish searching the bodies etc., we'd be about up with them time-wise.

2. - Top - End - #212

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Team Adder IC

Matthew's stomach turns as he peeks over the roof wall.
    All fifteen crossbowmen lie on the roof... their skin charred black and smoldering. None of them are moving. There is a narrow stairway that goes down into the house, just above the front entrance.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

Still slightly irritated at the goblin killing itself, Vlax stops and replaces his axe on his back. He returns to the others, grumbling about the cowardice of goblins, and how they can't die fighting.

4. - Top - End - #214

Oh god...
    Don't you dare puke you little worm.

Fifteen burned guys up here, and another way into the house.
    None of them our guys.
    I'm checking for survivors now.

Matthew clambers over the small wooden wall on the roof. He takes a minute to walk along the roof making sure the men are all dead, as seems likely. He tries to figure out if the flames came from one direction as if by some spell, or if the burns are all over.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-22 at 11:17 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215

Bruce
    "What's wrong with going in the front door? We - never mind, we'll wait until you can tell us what you find up there. Matthias, I'll give you a boost up if you want."

Matthew moves from one burnt corpse to another, checking them carefully for signs of life - which he does not find. In the darkness he can not find any indicator of the source of the fire. The men are scattered all around the rooftop. They do not appear to have died fleeing a fire from any one direction.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Fin lets out a sigh as his cry gets no response. Relaxing again, letting his hair flow over his eyes as he lets out a deep breath he tightens his gloves with a few pulls muttering to himself "The hell does this woman want..."

With no one answering his questions he simply turns to the other adventurers, glancing at everyone making sure everyone was more or less alright, which for the most part was the case minus a few small bruises and cuts. He looked around at the trees surrounding him, trying to figure if he could recognize the landscape at all (say if it looks anything like a forest near Bridge port Knowledge:Local for that.). Noting that Berwin was in the process of going through the goblins things he walked over to him, asking quite simply "Found anything that explains this whole mess? Or at least gives an idea of where we're at?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The map most certainly will help. Cash wise, the only thing I see us actually being able to see is the morning stars, and the knife:Who would buy dirty old Goblin armor? Oh and knowledge local check
    (1d20+4)[21]
    Last edited by Bribri; 2008-01-22 at 07:13 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217

They're all dead.

Matthew lights a torch using flint and steel - a fiddly task by moonlight.
    If I knew more about this stuff I could figure how long ago they died I suppose.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Heal check to determine how long dead - (1d20-1)[2]

There's a way into the house up here and I'm going in. I suggest you stay put for a second guildmaster.... it begins to look as if whoever is behind this has fled.

Matthew gets some sand ready for a spell, draws his dagger and heads down the stairs into the house.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-22 at 05:56 PM.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Ioth is frowning and mumbles something about the goblins he knew being alot nicer, he then walks around the room as if searching for something... or someone, but he days open his mouth long enough to say {In Common} If no one minds I'll take those knucklebones, used to love that game

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll roll for search and spot if thats ok (1d20+3)[4] search (1d20+2)[6] spot
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

Vlax leans against a tree, waiting for the others to give him something else to smash. He's not interested in the goblins possesions, seeing the weapons and armour as pathetic in comparison to dwarf work.

Spoiler
    Show
    He might be an outcast, but he is still a dwarf, and therefore proud of his race's work

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Berwin puts each Goblins belongings next to his head and picks up a single silver piece to put it in his own pocket. When Ioth asks about the Knucklebones, he scowls at him for a few moments but says nothing, then continues his work.

The map however catches his attention. He studies it, then stands up and says aloud, without looking up from the skin. "Anyone able to read Goblin?"
    Last edited by ubersquid; 2008-01-22 at 08:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Ioth, still concentrating on the surroundings wanders over to the bodies, oblivious to the cold stares of the other priest, and begins to search for the game pieces and asking idly {In Common} Anyone need any healing?

12. - Top - End - #222

Griffon

"Nothing but a scratch" Fin notes at Ioths question if anyone needed healing (all of 1 hp, Fin isn't going to ask for healing for that). Fin scratched his head taking the map from Berwin looking it over. "Can't say I know a word of that.... but...A maps a picture first, words second" He couldn't understand the words.. but a map is still a map:a picture first with words pointing out important places. He tried to see if he could recognize the vague shape of land depicted on it, if any the symbols were simple enough that he could gain some clue about them.

Still, his first concern was getting them somewhere they could get home with. The Lady wasn't here to chat with them and explain this mess after all. "We best retrace our steps, figure out which way is what. I get the feeling there ain't much of nothing out here for us... makes little sense as is for us to be way out here"

(Do ignore the double negative. Fin didn't take English in school. Or well, even go to school for that matter. If there's any skill checks required in map examination you'll have to roll them for me there boss)

13. - Top - End - #223

By torchlight, Matthew determines the time of death to be somewhere between the last time he saw them alive and now. Not all that useful, but, he does notice one curious thing. The wooden surface on which he stands is only scorched immediately around each dead man. There is no "shadow effect", as if the flames came from one direction, and as a whole, the roof is mostly untouched by fire. It seems as though whatever fire killed these men did it very quickly, and causing almost no damage to the roof.

Matthew starts to go down the almost miniature staircase immediately behind the front entrance. He almost bumps into the same woman who had so haughtily spoken to them earlier, now crouched at the bottom of the steps. She gasps and shrinks back from him, her back up against a small sliding panel door in the small space at the bottom of the stairs (the orientation is such that the door must open into the hallway just behind the exterior front door).

__________________________________________________ ____

The adventurers in the trees look around for enemies and search the fallen thoroughly, but find nothing else. The map appears to be a crude rendition of the Timber River south of the Lake Heart, also including the eastern mountain range. Towns are labeled on the map in goblin script.

14. - Top - End - #224

Griffon

"If this is local .. we're ways up past the lake!" Fin almost growl, not exactly happy by the sounds of it (Damn, how long of it is a trip back from here?).

"...Good few towns away from where we were...I think..." Though Fin couldn't exactly recall 'how' many towns. He didn't know their exact order down the river, he rarely left Bridgeport after all "...thanks for this" he gives the map back to Berwin and glances to the others

"Before we start a long walk we better find where we started, might not even be as far out I'd be thinking...."
    with that he searches a bit, trying to retrace his own, and the parties steps backwards. Trying to find the 'entrance' to the little house on the hill that led them all the way out here.

Spoiler
    Show

Making some assumptions here, Such as Fin at least knowing the basics of the area, being a local and all. Will edit if you think I'm going too far...
    Taking 20 on search, Automatic 22. It should be noted if Fin finds said entrance he WILL try to go through it right away, just to speed things up.
    Last edited by Bribri; 2008-01-23 at 03:48 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225

After taking a moment to orient himself, Fin finds an unnaturally dark passage between two trees, then realizes upon turning around that it was the same place where he found himself in the forest with the campfire in sight. Bringing the location to the attention of the other adventurers, he walks into the darkness and finds himself standing just inside the front door of Highburrow Hall, facing outdoors, with the darkness about three feet behind him. The smell of burnt flesh lingers on the air.

16. - Top - End - #226

As Matthew had run back to towards the guildhall his main desire had been for bloody revenge against those who had humiliated him, and those who had planned to kill Ana. But the smell of burned flesh had mostly put that out of his mind. Now here is the head assassin....

No doubt the others would not approve....

Matthew stares at her for a few seconds....

Before I change my mind... Come with me.

The stairwell is too small to allow the two humans to easily pass each other and Matthew doesn't want to have to take a prisoner into a part of the house he doesn't know is safe. He checks to see if the woman is armed and if she is not will grab at her right arm with his left hand.

Come. It is safe this way.

He will attempt to edge back up the small stairs half dragging the woman behind him, but doing it slowly while keeping an eye on her. If she shows any sign of resistance or arrogance Matthew will prefer to use color spray and drag her limp body out.... but who knows what other more dangerous enemies might still be nearby? Better to save that spell...

17. - Top - End - #227
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

AS he sees fin retreat back the way they had come, Vlax xalls out to him.

"Hey Fin! Are we in a forest or still in this crazy house? Can we get back out that way?"

18. - Top - End - #228

Fin hears Vlax's voice distantly, as if the dwarf were at the bottom of a well...

The woman has no weapons in her hands, and looks more shocked than dangerous. As Matthew drags her by the arm, she stumbles up the stairs, her hood falling back. Once on the roof, she looks around, wide-eyed and silent, at the dead crossbowmen. In the torchlight, Matthew can see that this tall woman is actually quite young, looking to be in her 20s, with curly, blond hair that falls loosely to her shoulder blades. Her face is thin and drawn, her fair skin clear, but seeming to be stretched thin against her sharp cheekbones, nose, and jawline. As a gust of wind blows her cloak back, he can see she is dressed in a white linen shirt and pants, bloused loosely in brown leather boots and a wide brown leather belt. A slender dagger is in a sheath clipped to the belt at her hip.

Bruce
    "What else is there, Matthew?"

19. - Top - End - #229

I found a survivor; the woman Quinn identified. She seems shaken up. Not sure what to do with her. I'm guessing whoever burned the guards is gone, but I don't want to be babysitting a prisoner while I investigate further. I'll try and get her down to you.

Matthew grabs the woman by the shoulders and looks her in the eye.

You're going to be a good girl now, right? Climb down over the fence. People down below will help you down.

Matthew tries to lift her up on to the fence to push her on up and over it. Something in the way she reacts puts him on guard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Matthew's OOC thread initiative roll = 19
    Matthew's color spray is a DC 15 Will save.

2 HD or less
    The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)

3 or 4 HD
    The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

5 or more HD
    The creature is stunned for 1 round.

As the young woman reaches for her knife, Matthew reacts faster, dropping the torch he was holding and stepping back he blasts away with color spray.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-23 at 02:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230

Matthew tries to move the young woman to wall when she doesn't comply with his instructions, but when he takes her by the shoulders she doesn't budge. He slaps her across the face, but no sooner does his hand leave her reddened cheek than her look changes from shock to that of a snarling, cornered animal. She reaches back for her blade as her body assumes the crouch of a veteran knife fighter...

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[6]
    Matthew roll for initiative, and if your initiative beats hers go ahead and edit your post to describe the action you take, with any additional die rolls necessary posted in the OOC thread to avoid a double post.
    Matthias - are you on the roof or are you still on the ground with Bruce?

Meanwhile down below, Bruce suddenly notices Fin standing just inside the house, looking out the open doorway.

Bruce (squinting his one eye)
    "Young Fin! Is everyone alright?"

21. - Top - End - #231

Griffon

Fins smiles as he finds himself back in the city, he yells back to Vlax "I can barely hear ya! But I'm back in the city! Seems it's two way!.... Huh?" He turns as he hears the voice of Bruce, turning to face him and taking a few steps forward.

Fin ruffles his hair, not exactly sure how to explain this ".... Uh.. well I'm alright, so is everyone else just.. uhh" He shakes his head "... You ain't gonna believe this....." He's about to explain what is hidden behind the doorway but quickly remembers the army of crossbowmen hidden on the top of the roof, looking up in an instant. Though Matthew or Bruce likely tell him the face of the men who were up there. (Sorry if I'm assuming here, just keeping this moving along)

"What... All.. dead? How?!..." leading to Fin abusing his hair more ".. Gah... This is only getting more messed up. It ain't making any bloody sense, but the door of that house leads to ways up past the lake! All the way by Timber, in the middle of the woods! Like skipping the whole jounrey in one step... I don't know if it's some sort of trick or the real deal.... but me and the fellahs just got in a tangle with a handful of Gobs out there...."

22. - Top - End - #232
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

On hearing Fin's subdued reply, Vlax gets up and heads back towards the entrance, asking "You coming?" to Ioth on his way.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Ioth pockets the knucklebones and follows Vlax saying {In Common} There better be a way out of here somewhere.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Let's get in there, Bruce," Matthias said as he saw Fin as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking ten on the Climb should suffice, right?
    Tornatar by Serpentine.
    [Images removed - total image heights too high]
    Original Tornatar by Threeshades. Second Tornatar by The Chilli God. Demonized Tornatar by Threeshades.

25. - Top - End - #235

Spoiler
    Show
    Will - (1d20+3)[17]

The woman flinches, and tears come to her eyes, but she blinks away the dazzling colors and presses her attack. Screaming with rage, she lunges, burying her dagger to the hilt just under Matthew's ribs, then pulling it free again for another strike.

Matthias jumps, catches hold of the roof, dangles for a second while he finds a foothold on a window shutter, then scrambles up and over the low wall to stand behind Matthew.

Bruce raises an eyebrow for a moment, then rushes into the entrance of the house, elbowing aside Fin, finding and throwing open the sliding panel door on the left, just past the threshold, as Vlax and Ioth come out of the darkness a few feet further into the house. He runs up the narrow steps to the roof, his short sword drawn and ready.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-01-25 at 05:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236

Griffon

The others no doubt coming out of the house not far behind Fin, he looked with some surprise as everyone started to rush to the roof, but followed, if only to see what they were running after. While jumping up there sounded quite fun, seeing as Bruce had revealed a more practical way, he simply followed him, running up the steps behind him. Eye opening wide to the less then pretty site at the top of the roof.

27. - Top - End - #237

Spoiler
    Show
    See previous post for edited results of woman's attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+1)[12]Damage - (1d4)[4]
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-01-25 at 05:02 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238

Matthew staggers back a few feet and throws a dagger at his assailant.
    Spoiler
    Show

Matthew would prefer to take a 5' step back throw his dagger and draw one of his other daggers. If there's no space to backup he will fight defensively.
    Throw dagger - (1d20+2)[22]
    (see OOC for crit confirm roll - failed)
    alternatively fight defensively (+2 to AC =14):
    Melee attack with dagger at -4 - (1d20-4)[7]
    either way same possible damage
    damage - (1d4)[2]
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-25 at 05:43 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

Seeing Bruce thunder past into the sliding panel, Vlax draws his axe again and follows quickly up the stairs.

30. - Top - End - #240

Griffon

The space in the room is limited by now I'd imagine (full of corpses, and four people now?) but Fin can tell the women isn't exactly going to go quietly waving that dagger around as she is but he'd rather not just run up and deck her one.

He points "Common woman use your head! There's Four of us now, and more coming! We ain't got no interest in killing you" (at least not yet anyway ^_~) "Toss the knife!"

(Intimidation this would be. (1d20+1)[17])

(Intimidation apparently successful =P)

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Bribri; 2008-01-25 at 06:14 PM.