New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Team Adder IC

Matthew's dagger spins through the air and lodges itself just under the woman's left collarbone. She staggers slightly, and as she does so catches sight of the mighty Bruce barreling towards her. As Fin leaps onto the roof behind Bruce, warning her she has more foes on the way, illustrated by Vlax charging up the stairs with a still-bloody axe in hand, the woman drops her dagger and collapses to the ground, sitting with her legs to one side and her face buried in her hands.

2. - Top - End - #242

Default Matthew with a dagger wound in his gut

Spoiler
    Show
    We're not fighting in a room as such but in a narrow place on the roof behind a low wall -- the same low wall or fence that the fifteen crossbowmen were hiding behind. It's very long (about 150 feet?) but narrow and has a single burned body about every ten foot. Matthias is behind Matthew, possibly in front by now, and Bruce, Fin and Vlax are coming up the halfling sized stairs, probably with little room to get passed each other.

Fin: We ain't got no interest in killing you
    Speak for yourself, Fin. I got plenty of cause. thinks Matthew who throughout this encounter had been half hoping the prisoner would try and escape... although himself getting stabbed wasn't part of the plan.

With satisfaction he sees his dagger knock her down.

Don't...
    Watch out she might be faking again.

Matthew sits / falls back against the slope of the roof proper and tries to tend to his wound... I think I've done my bit here.... This is going to hurt like hell when I calm down.

Vlax too! Are Ioth and Berwin with you?
    I could use a little help.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-25 at 07:52 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Fin makes sure to kick the womans dagger away the moment he gets the chance "They're on their way up." He says to Matthew with a nod, with that nod yelling back down "Itoh! Berwin! Get up here!" making sure there's some urgency in his voice. As he walks towards the woman he glances to Matthew asking simply "How bad is it?" referring to the wizards wound, at the same time keeping on guard of any sudden movements from the woman.

(Just for the sake of moving things along as always Fin will chat with said lady as well, assuming one of our clerics get up here to help him)

"I don't suppose you had anything to do with this; these are your men" Fin said referring to the mess of death that lay on top of the house. He kneels down some offering one hand "You wanted to talk, and now we've got plenty of question. So just come along now. I REALLY don't wanna drag ya at this point"

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Berwin follows the others behind and walks out the front door, striking with his hand over the frame and looking back and forth between the outside and the damp corridor from which he came. Fin's commanding voice sets his wandering mind back into focus though and he starts to make his way up to the roof.

The view up there makes him raise an eyebrow in suprise and his eyes wander over the dead crossbowmen as he walks up to Matthew and he seems generally more interested in them than Matthews bleeding side when he carefully touches it with his hand. He speaks a short prayer and looks at Matthew with a soothing smile, while the wound seems to heal up instantly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Channeling Detect Undead into CLW: (1d8+1)[7]

Then he raises again and walks over to one of the burned bodies to inspect it, again not afraid to touch it and roll it over.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Troll in the Playground

Ioth stepped up onto the roof and looked around, he half-screeched {In Common} What the HELL happened up here?

Spoiler
    Show
    wait so do i still need to heal anyone?
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

6. - Top - End - #246

Default Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

Matthew has seen wounds this bad cured by a cleric before, but never been on the receiving end of the spell to quite such effect. Wow!

Thanks Berwin! Matthew examines the area where the wound used to be. The only evidence remaining is the hole in his tunic. He pokes his finger through the hole and wiggles it. Hahaha. That's great. I feel great.

Ha. I'll need to get a needle and thread and fix the hole.

Ignoring the woman other than to retrieve his own dagger, Matthew helps Berwin search over the dead bodies. Let me give you a hand with that. I might have a better eye for detail even if you are more used to handling dead bodies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Probably come back later and "take twenty" but for now Matthew doesn't want take too much time searching when there could be more enemies around.
    Search - (1d20+5)[7]
    EDITED:
    Ha. Matthew realises he's rushing too fast for a full check I would think.

As he's searching he answers Ioth's question. "These men were like this when Bruce, Matthias and I got back here. I entered the house through the small stairs there and found the woman huddled up and scared. I brought her up here and she turned on me. That's about it." He asks, "So what the heck happened to you guys?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't know if anyone wants to roleplay the story. Matthew won't be satisfied with "the short version" but he might have to wait for the long version. Whether it's roleplayed or not I'll assume someone tells Matthew the gist of it: portal, goblins, map.

Has anyone analysed the portal's magical aura yet? Matthew goes down to where the portal is. He's reluctant to pass through it. He casts detect magic and examines the portal. There should also be time to pop back upstairs and see if there is any weak residue of magical effect on the dead bodies themselves.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Take ten on spellcraft check for analysing aura = 16.
    (+2 for illusions, ha)
    If there is a magical residue on the bodies, the same take ten on that aura.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-27 at 11:17 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247

After Fin kicks her dagger away, the woman does not take Fin's hand, but stands up on her own. She continues to hide her face in her own hands, sobbing.

Woman
    "He's mad - completely mad!"

Berwin and Matthew inspect the bodies and find that all of them are definitely dead, with many of their possessions burnt and unsalvageable. They do find a few things:

Spoiler
    Show

With the fast check (and low Search roll) you don't actually know the exact quantity of all these things, you're just kinda throwing them into a pile that you could count later.

15gp, 12 sp, 63 cp
    4 undamaged light crossbows (size medium)
    100 undamaged crossbow bolts
    15 daggers, 3 short swords, 1 morningstar, 1 light mace (all size medium)

As Matthew walks down to the hallway, he hears a quiet hisss and the unnatural darkness shrinks away to a point and disappears with a barely audible crackle, leaving only a bare, dimly lit hallway with two doors to the right side and a stairway going down (wider and less rough-hewn than the little stairway that goes up to the roof. He casts Detect Magic here, and his knees almost buckle as a strong aura sweeps over him. Some mighty magic has been cast here. He goes back up to the roof, casts his spell again, and once more feels a shockingly strong aura. Whoever killed the crossbowmen and teleported Matthew's teammates must be more powerful than any spellcaster Matthew has ever met.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-01-27 at 02:44 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248

Back up on the roof Matthew says,
    The portal's.... and catches himself before he says "gone". Hmm. Don't want to give away any information in front of the prisoner.

The portal's certainly very powerful magic. So is whatever torched these men. Vlax, Ioth, Matthias can you help me a sec? If you're not busy? I want to grab some plants from that forest through the portal to help identify exactly where it is on the other side.

If they come downstairs he says, "Sorry for that ruse. I didn't want to tell the prisoner the portal has gone already. You guys must have got back out not a moment too soon."

9. - Top - End - #249

Griffon

While the magical types investigate the portal (something Fin knows so very little about), and others check the bodies Fin puts his focus on bringing some to what this women is saying. "Who's mad? Ya were up here before any of us for certain, what happened here? Who did this to yer men? You ain't got nothing to worry about now....just give me an idea of what all of this was about?"

He tries to lead her back downstairs (making sure to avoid said 'portal' and Matthews chatting) figuring standing beside a bunch of burnt corpses isn't helping.

Diplomacy! (1d20+5)[13]
    Sense motive (If needed) (1d20+5)[24]

10. - Top - End - #250

The woman yanks her arm back when Fin tries to guide her. For a moment Fin thinks she's about to spit in his face, but a brief internal struggle, she takes a breath and looks at her feet. She speaks so quietly, Fin can barely hear her.

Woman
    "It doesn't matter. Everything's going to end anyway."

Fin doesn't know exactly what she means by that, but he doesn't feel that she's trying to trick him - she's talking to herself, really.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Matthias Foolson (Human Rogue)

"Should we interrogate her?" Matthias asks his comrades. "I could certainly help out there."
    Last edited by hyperfreak497; 2008-01-28 at 07:56 PM. Reason: I totally didn't write "Todd", instead of "Matthias". Definitely not...
    Tornatar by Serpentine.
    [Images removed - total image heights too high]
    Original Tornatar by Threeshades. Second Tornatar by The Chilli God. Demonized Tornatar by Threeshades.

12. - Top - End - #252

leaving only a bare, dimly lit hallway with two doors to the right side and a stairway going down (wider and less rough-hewn than the little stairway that goes up to the roof.
    Matthew sets about checking out the rest of the house, starting with the first door on the right. He opens the door (if it was closed) and goes inside.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm vaguely assuming someone among the team goes with him since we're all there. I am not sure if this is hostile territory still or not so I'll just go ahead and start rolling for awareness:
    Spot - (1d20-2)[-1]
    Listen - (1d20-1)[0]
    Search room lightly if no threats: take ten = 15

13. - Top - End - #253

Matthew, still pondering the sensation of the powerful magic auras, traipses through the rest of the house. The house is old, but well-built and in good condition. He first finds himself in a room completely bare of furniture, wall hangings - or anything else. There is some charred wood, cold to the touch, in the fireplace. The rest of the rooms, both at ground level and one floor below, are dusty and just as empty as the first. Whoever purchased the house most recently must have never done much living in it.

14. - Top - End - #254

Griffon

"Everything ends when ya let it end" Fin says rather simply "Realize you're not all that fond of us right now but ya know very well we didn't have anything to do with this until you brought us into it. Maybe we can't do anything about all this, maybe we can. Won't know if you don't tell me what happened" Fin gives a heavy shrug, by no means forcing her to go anywhere at this point, though his party members might think other wise haha "And.. staying here won't accomplish much at all either"

The woman really seemed like more of a victim now then anything else. Whatever she had planned here was torn apart, and sucked whatever hope she had in her. This didn't make Fin any less angry at of her of course! She was still the one behind that whole snake situation, but this didn't seem like the situation where angry would get her to talk.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

With the lack of something to hit, Vlax stands near Fin and the woman, alert and waiting for something to happen.

16. - Top - End - #256

Matthew re-appears after rooting through the house's bare rooms and basement.

The rest of the house is derelict. Like it was abandoned months if not years ago. We might have some claim to the place but I bet the priests of Yondalla will want it back. It might be more politic to get in their good books by making a "gift" of it by voluntarily quitting any claim we might have to it.....

Anyway tie that bitch up and throw a cape over her and let's get back to the guildhouse.

Matthew starts bundling up the items taken from the dead crossbowmen and takes time to search them better while he waits for the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    RTST. take 20 on searching crossbowmen = 25 ... I assume that we already got everything though

[hr]
    EDITED to add:
    Matthew helps Berwin with whatever he's doing with the bodies.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-01-29 at 01:39 PM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Still busy with the corpses, Berwin looks up to Matthew and smiles.
    "Ah, yes... will you help me get them from the roof?"

Then he turns to Bruce and continues: "If everyone is returning to the Guildhouse, with your persmission i would like to go to the nearest graveyard and help the caretaker to bring these men to their final rest. This will also give me an opportunity to pray with one of my brothers and regain my powers.
    Last edited by ubersquid; 2008-01-29 at 01:43 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

If nobody needs me for anything else I'll go ahead and give Berwin a hand with all the bodies

19. - Top - End - #259

"If everyone is returning to the Guildhouse, with your permission i would like to go to the nearest graveyard and help the caretaker to bring these men to their final rest. This will also give me an opportunity to pray with one of my Brothers and regain my powers.
    Bruce (to Berwin)
    "That may be a good idea, and I'd like to expand on that. I'd rather not get the City Guard involved in this, how about you go to the nearest graveyard, explain to the caretaker that we encountered these men dead of an unknown cause but we find ourselves without alibi. He'll likely trust you, and here's a little bit of money for his trouble in caring for their remains - not so much that he'll think we're bribing him." (Bruce gives Berwin a couple gold pieces)

When Matthew searches the rooftop carefully, he finds nothing new except one large, glossy black feather - lying on the roof by itself, not on any the crossbowmen, untouched by fire.

The woman is silent and sullen, but cooperates as the Adventurers' prisoner.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-01-29 at 01:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260

Matthew looks at the feather... shrugs and places it in with the rest of the loot. You never know what might be important and I can examine stuff better back at the guild house.

Everyone ready to go?
    If so, Matthew checks that the woman's hands are tied and leads her towards the gate and then "home".
    Spoiler
    Show

Use rope, check hands tied - (1d20+2)[16]
    I'm assuming someone tied her hands up already. If not use her belt for that purpose taking ten = 12

21. - Top - End - #261

Default Matthias Foolson: Human Rogue

Matthias falls into line behind the woman, watching her hands to make sure she doesn't try to slip free.
    Tornatar by Serpentine.
    [Images removed - total image heights too high]
    Original Tornatar by Threeshades. Second Tornatar by The Chilli God. Demonized Tornatar by Threeshades.

22. - Top - End - #262

Griffon

Fin nods, walking along with the others "Yea, nothing I'll figure out by staying here...We came looking for answers, and got nothing but truck load of non-sense, and more questions..." he lets out a sigh as they start to walk "Don't suppose any of that made more sense to you Matthew?"

23. - Top - End - #263

Default Matthew et al: heading home with prisoner

All I can say for sure is that our "host" had an awful lot of magical power and yet chose to use it against his own minions rather than against us. I'm pretty happy I wasn't the one getting torched tonight. If this whole thing was set up to "talk" to us then the "message" appears to have been the goblins you met.

Perhaps our "host" was not our real enemy tonight.... or doesn't see us as an enemy. Perhaps the writing on that map will tell us what this is about.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alrighty -- I assume we get back to HQ and Ian the cartographer can help us with the map? Possibly we can take a day off for "stuff" - see OOC

24. - Top - End - #264

The adventurers return to the guildhall, Berwin somewhat later than the rest, and as soon as they see their prisoner safely shackled in the stable under guard by Bil, they take their rest for the night. Some sleep deeply and some fitfully, but they all know that the next few days at the guildhall may reveal some of the secrets of their mysterious map and prisoner.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to have people cameo at any time.

25. - Top - End - #265

Next morning Matthew is up unusually early in anticipation. He takes the items looted from Highburrow Hall down to the common room to examine them more carefully. Crossbows, blades, feather, map, morningstar and mace, the dagger that stabbed him last night and the other items presumably taken from the goblins. I should check the map for magic and probably could check on Ana's aura again while I'm at it without drawing suspicion.

Items:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm not quite clear what the others brought from among the goblins' stuff.

dagger from tall woman

15gp, 12 sp, 63 cp
    4 undamaged light crossbows (size medium)
    100 undamaged crossbow bolts
    15 daggers, 3 short swords, 1 morningstar, 1 light mace (all size medium)

-one curved dagger
    -several hunks of dried meat of an unknown animal
    -1 set of "knucklebones" (common knowledge - these are used for gambling by many races, or sometimes for divination)
    -5 suits of studded leather armor (filthy)
    -5 morningstars
    -5 small wooden shields
    -12 javelins
    -8 silver pieces, 13 copper pieces
    -2 flint & steel sets
    -1 crude necklace of hemp and bones that look to be from a cat, rabbit, or squirrel
    -6 waterskins
    -6 filthy, torn cloaks of heavy wool along with other tattered bits of goblin clothing
    -1 piece of deerskin with some goblin script and what looks like a crudely drawn map inked onto the smooth side

one large, glossy black feather

map description:
    "The map appears to be a crude rendition of the Timber River south of the Lake Heart, also including the eastern mountain range. Towns are labeled on the map in goblin script."

When he sees Ana Matthew says,
    'Morning Ana. We had quite an interesting time of it last night. Managed to catch the owner of that snake too. I'll tell you the story over breakfast if you like?

Spoiler
    Show
    Minus the most gruesome parts anyway.... Matthew feels it might be best to not mention exactly how the men were killed or the part about the portal

Matthew examines the map but he knows no goblin and cannot translate the crudely drawn runes. Come on Berwin! He knows Lankin will be able to appraise the items accurately but goes ahead and does his best to guess their worth -- just to see how close he gets.

Spoiler
    Show
    Appraise - (1d20+2)[19]

If Ana brings Matthew breakfast he'll cast Detect Magic and examine the map as she's heading over. Sooner or later one of the other mages or one of the clerics is bound to notice her aura too. If they want this kept a secret they really should have come up with a good cover story.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the map or any of the other items have an aura.... Spellcraft - (1d20+6)[8]
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-02-01 at 11:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #266

Default Re: Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

Ana doesn't stick around to hear Matthew's story after providing him with breakfast.

Looking at the dagger, the adventurers see it is longer and more slender than a standard belt knife, and the hilt is decorated with a red gemstone surrounded by a swirl pattern of inlaid gold.

A messenger delivers a note to the guildhall from Berwin stating that all is well, but that he spent the night at the cemetery and that it may take him possibly as much as another full day to finish taking care of the dead crossbowmen before he can return to the guildhall.

Spoiler
    Show
    None of the items have magic auras of their own - only any residual aura consistent with whatever magic was cast on the rooftop or from being carried through the portal. Ana's aura is unchanged. Appraise check was successful - whatever Lankin ends up giving you will be accurate, just let me know which items folks are keeping and which ones you're cashing in.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax

In the morning, the dwarf stumbles down the stairs, still drowsy. He's not in his armour again yet, nor does he have his axe with him. He wobbles over to the table and sits next to Matthew. His only form of communication is a grunt, which can almost be made out as Mornin'

28. - Top - End - #268

Don't suppose you know any Goblin? Matthew asks laughing and holding up the map.

29. - Top - End - #269

Ian Luminor

A young man stood near the table on the common room. He was rather interested in a map that was laid on the table, so interested that the smile on his face grew wider and his eyes shone as he analyzed the piece. The young man was of an average human built, having a slightly long black hair that was kept in a braided ponytail. He wore brown leather pants, and covering it with a red skirt that went down up to his knees. Over his back he wore a rather worn, and slightly dirty, red cloak.

He remained silent when the owner, apparently came and held it up while talking to one of his friends.
    Spoiler
    Show

Much lulz avatar made by Fayt, and Echowind made the, awesome, always angry William. And the awesome thelizard made the not-right-in-the-head Argile

Giantitp (Unofficial) IRC. Join now !

30. - Top - End - #270

Noting the Adventurers' Guild pin (and the fact that he is standing in their common room getting breakfast of course) Matthew realises this must be another new member.

Morning there! My name is Matthew and this is Vlax. We were just looking over some loot from last night's adventuring. If there's anything you want (he spreads his hands to gesture at the weapons and so on) we could do you a better price than Lankin perhaps. No need for us to sell it to him and then you buy it back - even with his prices as good as they are.

Don't suppose you know any Goblin?
    (indicating the map)

Spoiler
    Show
    Just start talking before he finishes -- it's the only way to get a word in.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2008-02-02 at 08:09 PM.