New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Team Cougar IC

Quote Originally Posted by strongoak View Post
    Gylvin, Eleven Wizard

"I'll take one of the bowman positions. If we have to fire, we'll need a signal to Klep & whoever is with him to back off."

Jeff, how about you let me fire first? If you see a magic missle slamming into someone, that should be a clear enough sign to everyone that the jig is up."
    "Yeah, that'll work, you're an Elf, right? That means you come good with a bow - erm - do you have a bow? Something for when the magics turn out to not work optimally, ya know?" Shiela comments, "conviently" forgetting that she'd probably be just as good - if not better than - the mage as a bowshot.
    "As for Klep, the thing is, none of us would be able to get close to the meeting without setting off some alarm bells in the target's head therefore, the swimmer - I was thinking we may be able to enlist Iva in that capcity, she doesn't exactly carry much in the way of equipment, and looks to be pretty agile. Also, I happen to be in position of a couple of steel mirrors we could use for signaling, using streetlights or sunlight. A glint off the mirror and BOOM, we rush into action.
    "I say we sent Klep in alone, eavesdrop, and then tail the target after the meeting. Klep may even get to go free if he does his job well, though his buddies certainly wouldn't like being abandoned like that to the local constablary..."

She says this last part more to Klep than the others, even looking the ruffian straight in the eye. Yes, she approves of slipping away when the oppertunity arises, but would it really be noble to abandon those guys who you'e looking out for?

EDIT > OOC> Just checked out the specfics, Glyvin is abetter bow-shot than Shiela, terms would be equal if not for her trait that gives her -1 to all attack rolls, though.
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-01-04 at 11:16 AM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

Balthazar

Sounds like a good plan to me. I'm afraid I'm not the best with a bow--since I've never used one. I'm alright with a crossbow, but my spells are better.

I think with Jeff being an archer, and Gylvin and I on spell duty we should have enough ranged combatants for backup.

Of course that all assumes our target doesn't have any backup, which is probably not a very good assumption.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Jeff

Ok, Gylvin, you fire first, with any luck, she will be distracted by you and not notice me when I fire the arrow...

But if she has back-up...I will fire an arrow at her and switch to my blades...and just hack someone that is near me and looks ugly .Just kidding guys, I am not a killer...more of a hunter...
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sharn

Still sitting on the ground, though no longer making any noise, Sharn listens intently to the others discus the plans and tries to work out in his head just where he'd fit in best.

Quote Originally Posted by Karaswanton View Post
    Balthazar

Of course that all assumes our target doesn't have any backup, which is probably not a very good assumption.
    He jumps to his feat, "Backup in case of backup. I can do that."
    It is pitch black, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

GM of Narutod20's Team 7
    Sharn Vankessel, Cleric of Team Cougar

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

"Remember, guys, we're going to try and GATHER INFORMATION not out-and-out kill. This is still a city, and rushing into a fight would be problematic, at best, if a fight does break out, we need to resolve it swiftly and as subtly as possible."
    The fighter steps away from her map "I'll go up to my room, grab the mirrors and my holdouts, I'll meet ya'all down here, before we move out."

Ready To Skip Time
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I'm ready when you are. Go ahead and describe yourselves leaving the guildhall and proceeding to the docks, just out of sight of dock 6 (nothing happens on the way there). Describe your instructions to Klep. I'll post again to tell you what you see once Dock 6 comes into view.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thanatos5150 View Post
    Shiela

"Remember, guys, we're going to try and GATHER INFORMATION not out-and-out kill..."
    Gylvin
    "Spoil sport"
    "There's an old elven proverb that goes "if you fail to plan, then you plan to fail. Hopefully there won't be any bloodshed tonight. I'll go get ready to leave"

Gylvin goes to the dormitory and stores most of his posessions in his locker. He leaves the quarter staff and takes his long bow, a quiver of arrows and his dagger in addition to his spell book and components. He then rejoins his companions and follows them as they leave the guild hall grounds.

{OOC: I just realized I hadn't picked out a bed yet. If it's not too late to do so before we have to leave, I pick one near another Team Cougar member. If it is too late, I ask one of my team mates if I can stow some gear under their rack until we get back

I didn't refresh the screen after reading Shiela's post, so I missed the instructions to begin going down to the docks.}
    Last edited by strongoak; 2008-01-04 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Didn't refresh screen between reading posts, missed GM post
    I hate it when other people use my ideas and don't even bother to give me credit --Anonymous

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." —Mark Twain

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by strongoak View Post
    Gylvin
    "There's an old elven proverb that goes "if you fail to plan, then you plan to fail."
    Shiela

"I like that." When Shiela makes it to her rack, she grabs her stiletto and dirk, placing them in their "standard" locations (Stiletto on the left hip, just dorsal of her scimitar, dirk in her right boot) and belting her brand-new sling on her right hip, as well as he belt pouches (the sling and bag being between puches two and three). She swiftly detaches her guild insignia for the cloakand heads down stairs.

She explains Klep's situation to the boy as they walk towards the gate.
    "We're going to the docks. You are going to meet your contact and giver her this-" Shiela begins as she places her insignia in his hand. "The plan got a wee bit complicated, and your friends are hurt real bad - thats why they're not with you right now. In the conversation with your contact, you will, subtly as possible ply her for as much information as to who she is and why she wants this as possible. We'll be watching and listening with great interest.
    If everything is resolveed peacefully, you may go. Come back here, and face your legal ramifications like a man.
    If a fight breaks out - run back here, as fast as you can. You should be safe on Guild grounds.
    You're on the Honor system to return here. For the record, I don't expect that to happen. I hope your friends forgive you for abandoning them."

When the reach the gate, Shiela waits patintly on her companions that haven't already arrived. As they roll out, she takes point, right next to the prisoner at all times, explaining "I'm the local girl, might as well show ya'all how to get there."
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

9. - Top - End - #129

Balthazar

Balthazar refers to authority in terms of his placement, and the directions to the dock.

10. - Top - End - #130

Kobold

Jeff

Jeff follows the group, trying his best to spot any enemies...which more or less cover anyone breathing in a 10 mile radius....

11. - Top - End - #131

As Dock 6 comes into view, you see a few workers walking along the street but nobody waiting at the corner of the dock yet.

12. - Top - End - #132

Kobold

Jeff

Walking as normally possible, Jeff takes his position at the crates, trying not to draw attention, asif he was a worker there...He keeps his bow in one hand and an arrow in the other, ready at any moment to aim at shoot...

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide check:(1d20+7)[26]
    Spot:(1d20+6)[13]
    Listen:(1d20+6)[15]

13. - Top - End - #133

Balthazar

Balthazar whispers to Shiela
    "I'm going to try to hide. Where do you suggest?

Balthazar then goes and hides where Shiela suggests.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Balthazar takes 10 on the hide check, for a result of 12. Not a particularly high check, but I've learned not to trust the dice on hide checks, lol.

14. - Top - End - #134

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bayar View Post
    Jeff

Walking as normally possible, Jeff takes his position at the crates, trying not to draw attention, asif he was a worker there...He keeps his bow in one hand and an arrow in the other, ready at any moment to aim at shoot...
    Gylvin

Gylvin enters the dock area by walking behind the wharehouses and entering into the main dock area from between the wharehouses two docks down from dock 6, opposite Jeff's position. He moves down the street in an easy, relaxed manner as if he doesn't have a care in the world.

When he reaches his position opposite Jeff, he looks for a discrete place to stand and tries to blend in with the scenery. He casually leans his long bow up against a crate (in easy reach) and stands an arrow next to it. As he settles in, Gylvin reminds himself to remain alert, yet relaxed. He observes the area around him discretely and listens for any sounds out of place.

{OOC: Jeff's post didn't say which position he took up as the archer. If he took the left position, I enter the dock area between wharehouses 3&4. If right, I enter between 7 & 8}

Spoiler
    Show

Spot Check: (1d20+4)[20]
    Listen Check: (1d20+3)[12]
    Hide Check: (1d20+3)[10]

If needed, Initiative roll: (1d20+3)[21]
    I hate it when other people use my ideas and don't even bother to give me credit --Anonymous

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." —Mark Twain

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

Shiela directs Balthazaar to theleft "Magepoint", between warehouses 6 and 7.
    She then turns to Klep. "Is anybody here someone you recognise as working for your contact? How are you supposed to get the contact to meet you?".
    Just for simplictiy's sake, Shiela and Klep stand between warehouses five and six. Shiela is leaning up against Warehouse five and keeps looking at the target's supposed-to-be location. Shes obviously trying to "act casual".

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not so sure as to the rules for hiding in the crowd, so I'm just going to make a normal Hide check. Its +2 for dexterity, -5 for Armor Check Penalty, for a total of -3. (1d20-3)[6]
    This second roll is solely incase that one botches, ignore otherwise. (1d20)[7]
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-01-05 at 06:15 PM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

16. - Top - End - #136

Kobold

OOC: I am in the right crates...forgot there were 2.

17. - Top - End - #137

[QUOTE=thanatos5150;3752637]Shiela
    She then turns to Klep. "Is anybody here someone you recognise as working for your contact? How are you supposed to get the contact to meet you?".

Klep
    I don't think she'll show unless I'm there waiting. Shall I go wait at the dock for her?
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-01-07 at 11:50 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

Suspecting that to be the case, anyway, Shiela nods in agreement and keeps an eye on the boy.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

19. - Top - End - #139

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher Doc View Post
    I will assume the party agrees. If not, let me know and I'll edit this post.

After getting approval, Klep walks up to the dock and leans against a post, not unlike many of the dock workers who are waiting for boats to come in.
    Gylvin

Gylvin agrees but suggests that Klep wait several minutes after the team takes their positions so that it does not look suspicious. In hindsight, he also wishes he had remembered to get a jug of beer so that he could have something to take his mind off the smell of the dock areas.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Yet again work makes me angry by not allowing me to get any sleep and missing excellent posting opportunities. But since Iva's not much of a swimmer I'm gonna improvise a bit and....well do my job as a performer :) YAY FIRE!!! I'm just gonna assume Sheila agreed with her and go with it (as she would even if she disagreed)

As the party approached the docks Iva took a roundabout trek through the surrounding buildings so that she could get herself ready to perform. Folding her cloak in half at the waist and adjusting her belt to effectively turn her cloak into a skirt of sorts.

Taking the three torches that she had taken from her bags back at the guild house Iva made double sure the flask of firewater was tightly stoppered and fastened to her belt for easy access. She would have to change a few things from her usual series of events because she had told Shiela to 'Watch for the Dragon' and as such she would not be able to use the flask before her usual acrobatics.

Lighting the three torches Iva made her way to the dock juggling the burning torches in progressively more showy manners. Starting with a normal juggling act then slowly adding her body into the mix making it a dance with the torches, and eventually getting to the point where she was integrating flips and other complicated acrobatic movements into the dance.

This lady better get here soon or I will have to pummel her myself....

Spoiler
    Show
    Wee! I'm not sure what rolls you actually want so I'll just give you all I can think of that might apply.

Balance - (1d20+9)[16]
    Perform (Circusry) - (1d20+6)[24]
    Tumble - (1d20+7)[8]
    Listen - (1d20)[5]
    Gather Info? - (1d20+2)[14]
    Spot - (1d20)[19]
    A good ole dex roll - (1d20+3)[13]

Thats all I can think of applying here.

Edit: Eww, what a wonderful time to roll a 1 on a tumble check.....yuck
    Last edited by Trulhammaren; 2008-01-06 at 07:26 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sharn

Not really having a place in this plan, Sharn begins to stumble aimlessly amongst the workers as if he was drunk.

How degrading. Well... this is the best I can manage I suppose. I'd much proffer a straight fight to all this sneaking around. Let's see... what was it that Heronu the Sage said... 'the best place to hide is in plain sight.'

Eventually he falls face first on the ground (effectively hiding his Guild Insignia) by the crates near the meeting area.

Ow... maybe that wasn't such a good idea.
    It is pitch black, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

GM of Narutod20's Team 7
    Sharn Vankessel, Cleric of Team Cougar

22. - Top - End - #142

The docks are a busy place, full of watercraft ranging in size from small rowboats to galleys with rows of oars and multiple sails. After waiting a few minutes as requested, Klep walks up to the dock and leans against a post, not unlike many of the dock workers who are waiting for cargo to load or unload. A small fishing boat tacks its way to the end of the dock and lets down its anchor. Some urchins run down the street laughing, occasionally bumping into other pedestrians. Iva gets a few curious looks. A few moments later, a tall woman in a hooded cloak walks down Dock Street (coming from the West) and engages Klep in conversation. The apparently experienced cons look very casual, their body language conveying small talk, but those watching carefully can see Klep pulling out the guild insignia and the woman examining it.

23. - Top - End - #143

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher Doc View Post
    ... A small fishing boat tacks its way to the end of the dock and lets down its anchor. ... A few moments later, a tall woman in a hooded cloak walks down Dock Street (coming from the West) and engages Klep in conversation. The apparently experienced cons look very casual, their body language conveying small talk, but those watching carefully can see Klep pulling out the guild insignia and the woman examining it.
    Gylvin, Elven Wizard

Gylvin discretely surveys the fishing boat and its crew. He's suspicious that a small boat would dock just as Klep was making his contact and wonders if the crew are paying attention to the woman and Klep.

Mentally, Gylvin asks himself:"What the world are we going to do if she makes a break for the boat?"

Gylvin continues to pay attention to what's going on around him and tries to hear what Klep & the woman are saying.

{OOC: How many masts are on the fishing boat and what type of mast are they (if multiple)?

EDIT: Sharn, your post does not say where you fell on your face. Can you be a bit more specific, my future actions may depend on where you are. /end OOC}
    Spoiler
    Show

Spot Check on boat/crew: (1d20+4)[22]
    Spot Check on surroundings (if needed): (1d20+4)[13]
    Listen Check on Klep/woman: (1d20+3)[6]
    Last edited by strongoak; 2008-01-07 at 03:29 PM. Reason: question for Sharn

24. - Top - End - #144

Kobold

Jeff

Mental talk:A tall one? I prefer medium sized, smaller than me of course...tall ones make you look like you need protection or something...

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot:(1d20+6)[13]
    Listen:(1d20+6)[10]

25. - Top - End - #145

Balthazar

Balthazar positioned himself where directed.
    He watches the exchange between Klep and the contact with interest.
    Hm. I don't recall anyone giving him an insignia, I suppose they may have done that while I was out of the room.But knowing this man's reputation I would think treachery more likely. he thinks to himself.

Balthazar watches closely, and looks around briefly to see if there is anything else happening.

Spoiler
    Show

[roll]
    1d20+1
    1d20+1
    1d20+3
    [/roll]
    Last edited by Karaswanton; 2008-01-07 at 04:57 PM.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

26. - Top - End - #146

Spoiler
    Show

Hm, I think I didn't do the rolling html properly.
    Spot: (1d20+1)[18]
    Listen:(1d20+1)[4]
    Search:(1d20+3)[19]

I used spot and listen in case he sees something by mistake.
    I wasn't sure if you can use search to just look around, or if you have to physically be where you are looking. Balthazar is searching for anyone who looks suspicious (besides Klep, the associate, and the party).

Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela.

The read-head, for all her worth, is attmepting to look like just another little girl checking out sailors. But is, instead, very INTENSLY listening to Klep and the woman.

That boat was not part of the plan. Crap. Bad, very bad.
    OOC> Note that Shiela is thinking, and not saying the above line.

[spoiler]
    Perfrom (acting) check?: [roll]1d20[/roll]
    Listen Check [roll]1d20+2[/roll]
    [spoiler]
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-01-07 at 11:23 PM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Iva

Between the noise on the docks and her multi-tasking Iva abandons her attempt to listen in on the conversation, and instead makes her way down the docks toward the boat.

I don't like the looks of this one bit, not at all.

Making her way to block off an escape attempt via the boat that had conveniently arrived as woman had. Knowing that she wouldn't be much of a threat to any but the weakest of people physically Iva vehemently begins looking around for anything that might be particularly flammable to use as additional a distraction, or perhaps a weapon of sorts, that might allow her comrades to reach the escapees in time.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot - (1d20)[3]
    Search - (1d20)[6]
    Not sure which one you want....and btw flammable clothing would be glorious <.<

EDIT: *grrrphace*
    Last edited by Trulhammaren; 2008-01-08 at 08:34 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149

The boat has its starboard side to end of the dock. It is not touching the dock, but its anchor is keeping it in place a couple feet from the dock. The sail is full with wind, causing the boat to tug at its anchor. The main halyard is visible. Wind is approximately from west to east, or from stern to bow.

There are two gnomes on the the boat, just sitting and talking to each other.

Spoiler
    Show

Remember, your character may not know all the nautical information that you (the player) know metagame.

There is some straw scattered around the crates. You do not see any patricularly suspicious looking characters on Dock Street, but there quite a few people of many descriptions.

Those closest to Klep and the tall woman can see Shiela's insignia now in the woman's hand. A long, blonde curl escapes from the womans hood and blows in the wind.

Klep
    I couldn't get in to the house, but I snatched this fancy pin from one of their pockets.

Woman
    How many people did you see around the house? How were they armed?

Klep
    Um...we...I only saw two or three people and, uh, one of them had a crossbow.

After Klep's stammered lie, the woman takes a step back. She scans around but makes no sign that she sees anything, pockets Shiela's guild insignia, then shakes hands with Klep. A glint of metal indicates that some coin probably changed possession.

30. - Top - End - #150

Kobold

Jeff

Jeff prepares his bow in case the woman might want to leave the randevous point, either in the crowd or on the ship...and after, he will get out of cover and go towards her.Come on baby, make my day, take a step towards the boat or the crowd...daddy needs some gore right about now...

Spoiler
    Show
    In other words...ready action. will roll attack and damage in case it is necessary...
    spot check for anything unusual on the ship - (1d20+6)[8]
    listen check for any other conversations... - (1d20+6)[22]