New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Team Cougar IC

Quote Originally Posted by Jensik View Post
    Sharn

"Secure the boat. Right." Sharn looks around for some rope and, if found, attempts to secure the craft to the dock.

Why the blazes am I doing this? I am a divine vessel, not a bloody knot... tying... person. I should have paid attention in my Nautical Skills class.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll0]
    Use Rope check. I really hope this works.
    Gylvin

Gylvin looks around to see if there is anyone approaching the dock area. He notices Sharn looking for something. He figures that Sharn may need some help from dockside but can't decide if he should go help or not.

If Gylvin spots anything suspicious, he remains at the end of the dock. If he doesn't spot anything, he sprints to the end of the dock and calls to Sharn: "Is there anything I can do to help?"

Spoiler
    Show

Spot Check for suspicious persons in area: [ROLL]1d20+4[/ROLL]

EDIT: {OOC: Given the abysmal roll in the follow-up post, I assume Gylvin is running down to the end of the dock. }
    Last edited by strongoak; 2008-01-13 at 06:27 PM.
    I hate it when other people use my ideas and don't even bother to give me credit --Anonymous

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." —Mark Twain

2. - Top - End - #182

RedWizardGuy

Gylvin

{OOC: Ok. Let's try the spot check again. This time formatting correctly. Sorry about the double post}

Spoiler
    Show

Spot check for suspicious persons in the area : (1d20+4)[7]
    I hate it when other people use my ideas and don't even bother to give me credit --Anonymous

"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." —Mark Twain

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

"I'll leave a hand free." Shiela promises, scooping the unconcious woman over her right shoulder, and snapping her shield foward on her left arm. Looking back towards Balthazaar, she says:
    "We need to get this woman back to the guild as quickly as possible. Stay on your guard. Hopefully, the teamates right here can handle this."

Spoiler
    Show
    Shiela'a maximum load is 260 pounds. She is currently carrying:
    Scimitar - 4
    Shield - 15
    Two Daggers - 2
    Scale Mail - 30
    Sling - 0
    Ten Bullets - 5
    Making total load: 56 pounds. If the woman weight 118 pounds, that would be enough to put Shiela into a Heavy Encumberance, but she would need to weigh 204 for Shiela to need help at all.

Either way, movement rate is 20 ft/round. Moving at a x2 (Jog) and double moving every round means a travel rate of 80ft /6 secs.
    Just quick calculations for the DM's sake,
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-01-14 at 12:04 AM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Jeff

Presumably the gnomes surrendered, Jeff takes their weapons, and keeps them on guard with his longsword.Are you alright Iva? Need some help?

Then to the gnomes:Dont do something stupid, because I know how to gut things...and spilling your guts on the ship will atract seagulls...

OOC: if Iva's persuasion did not work, Ignore the first part.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

The gnomes slowly place their weapons down, glance at each other, and...jump overboard. They both start swimming with apparent skill, in an easterly direction.

__________________________________________________ __

As Shiela hoists the bleeding woman over her shoulder, she realizes she is lighter than expected. She must be quite thin under that cloak - either that or it's the adrenaline.

Spoiler
    Show
    The woman is 6'0'', only 140 lbs.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-01-14 at 07:50 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

Balthazar

As a response to Shiela, Balthazar draws out his crossbow and loads it.
    Looks like the team can handle themselves. I can cover our retreat. I'm doubtful the woman can make it back alive.
    Currently playing as:
    Eodrick, LG Dwarven Urban Ranger

Avatar is Balthazar, a currently retired character, by Shades of Grey

Vaulthfaer, a 4E Campaign Setting

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sharn

((This is assuming the ship is now secured.))

Ignoring the Gnomes, Sharn jumps aboard the ship and rushes to Iva. He sets his shield down and takes a look at the bolt in her chest. "You're lucky, that could have been a lot worse. I can work with this. Hold still, this will likely hurt like hell at first." He flattens his right hand and channels healing energy into it. With one swift motion Sharn yanks the bolt out and places his hand on the wound, magically sealing it shut.

After the spell's effect is finished he will quickly retract his hand and hold onto it as if it were in pain. "There, how do you feel?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Cure Light Wounds
    Damage Healed - (1d8+1)[6]
    Last edited by Jensik; 2008-01-14 at 10:28 AM.
    It is pitch black, you are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

GM of Narutod20's Team 7
    Sharn Vankessel, Cleric of Team Cougar

8. - Top - End - #188

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher Doc View Post
    The gnomes slowly place their weapons down, glance at each other, and...jump overboard. They both start swimming with apparent skill, in an easterly direction.
    Gylvin

"Do you guys want to search the boat while I stand look-out? There may be some interesting loot. Hmm, I wonder if we can claim the boat itself. We should be able to sell it & make some profit."

9. - Top - End - #189

Kobold

Jeff

You took the words right out of my mouth, Gylvin. The boat should be worth a nice bag of gold.Plus the weapons...and whatever it is aboard.Sheating his swords, Jeff says:Now, please excuse me, I have 2 gnomes I need to skin...probably still alive,And with that, he jumps in the water and starts swimming after the two gnomes.
    Feel free to shoot the two so I can get to them faster...but try not to kill them while in water...

Spoiler
    Show
    Swim check - (1d20+4)[21]
    Last edited by Bayar; 2008-01-15 at 06:07 AM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

With a heavy grunt and a sigh, Shiela takes off at full speed back towards the Guilhouse.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

11. - Top - End - #191

Shiela jogs toward the guildhouse carrying the unconscious woman. Balthazar jogs along with her, crossbow at the ready.

Gylvin strides over to the end of Dock 6, where the small sailboat is secured. On the boat stand Sharn and the newly-healed Iva, a torch in her hand. Jeff, having just dived off the boat, rapidly gains on the swimming gnomes.

A trickle of pedestrians returns to Dock Street as the locals sense that the area may be safe again.

Make a melee touch attack to grab the gnome, then (if you succeed)a grapple check to try to hold. No special modifiers for being in the water because it balances out with the gnome's grapple or escape artist checks.

Gylvin, at the end of the dock, brings forth his bow, draws an arrow to his cheek, and lets fly at the other gnome in the water.
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll=Attack]1d20+3[/roll][roll=Damage]1d8[/roll]

Down the street, a matronly townswoman accosts Shiela and Balthazar:
    Townswoman
    "Oh my! Do you need help? Where are you taking that poor woman?"
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-01-17 at 04:35 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192

Kobold

Jeff tries to catch one of the gnomes, hoping to hold him, so that they have someone to interogate.

Spoiler
    Show
    melee touch attack - (1d20+3)[10]
    grapple check - (1d20+5)[7]
    swim check - (1d20+4)[14]

13. - Top - End - #193

RedWizardGuy

Gylvin, at the end of the dock, brings forth his bow, draws an arrow to his cheek, and lets fly at the other gnome in the water.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack - (1d20+3)[20]Damage - (1d8)[3]
    After firing his shot, Gylvin pulls out another arrow and stands ready to fire again if needed. Since he's near the boat he glances into the craft for the first time & checks to see if his team mates are ok. He quickly glances around the deck of the boat to see if he spots anything interesting before turning his eyes back to the gnomes & Jeff.

{OOC: @ doc. The attack roll in your post didn't roll properly. I've duplicated it in the spoiler. If you don't need it, then please ignore }
    Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+3)[10]
    Damage: (1d8)[2]
    Spot check for anything interesting on deck of boat: (1d20+3)[19]

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

"We're fine, theres a commotion on the docks, we're getting this woman out. She needs healing."
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

15. - Top - End - #195

The gnome kicks furiously, eluding Jeff's attempt to grab his ankle. Gylvin's arrow finds its mark on the other gnome, who cries out as he is struck, but continues to swim without slowing. The water around him starts to cloud with his blood.

Iva and Sharn look around. There is little equipment on the small boat. The large chest that doubles as a seat contains a 50' coil of hemp rope, a lantern and a pint-sized flask of the type usually containing oil for burning, a spare anchor, a few small crossbow bolts, and a 10'x10' sheet of canvas. On deck there is a small light crossbow and a small short sword. The boat is tethered to the dock with another coil of hemp rope that looks to have once been 50' feet long, but had 15' cut from it when the anchor was cut loose. The knots Sharn tied are simple, but keep the boat within 5 feet of the dock. A few people on the street and on other docks crane their necks to see what is going on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reminder: Spot is used primarily to look for hiding creatures, while Search is used when looking for small details.

The townswoman stares, wide-eyed, as Shiela jogs by with the woman over her shoulders. The woman is still unconscious, but Shiela no longer feels blood trickling onto her back. When the townswoman catches sight of Balthazar's loaded crossbow, she takes a step back and makes a quiet little gasp.

Gylvin fires another arrow, but this one splashes harmlessly into the water.

16. - Top - End - #196

RedWizardGuy

The gnome kicks furiously, eluding Jeff's attempt to grab his ankle.
    Gylvin

"Hey Jeff! Just let him go, he's probably only a hired flunky anyways. He's not worth drowning over and we're drawing a lot of attention to ourselves."

Gylvin suggests to Iva & Sharn that they grab anything that looks useful & put it into the chest. "We can take turns carrying it back to the guild house.

17. - Top - End - #197

Balthazar
    To the townswoman:
    Er, sorry miss. No cause for alarm.

and with that he resolves to be more careful where he points the crossbow, after all no point in scaring people.
    Currently playing as:

18. - Top - End - #198

Kobold

Jeff

I wont! We need to capture at least one of them! You just keep shooting !And with that, Jeff tries to grab the gnome again.

Spoiler
    Show
    melee touch attk - (1d20+3)[20]
    grapple - (1d20+5)[7]
    swim - (1d20+4)[20]

19. - Top - End - #199

Spoiler
    Show
    grapple - (1d20-3)[4]

The gnome, while an excellent swimmer, is outmatched in grappling by the larger man. Jeff grabs and gets a good hold on the struggling gnome.

The other gnome swims a short distance further away, then pauses to tread water as he looks around...

EDIT: Balthazar, Shiela, and the unconscious woman arrive at the guildhouse. The three officers, Bruce's family, and Ana are all relaxing in the Common Room.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-01-21 at 06:39 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200

Suddenly the non-grappling gnome shouts a single word in gnomish that causes the gnome struggling with Jeff to freeze for a moment, allowing Jeff to get a "pin" hold on him. Strangely, the gnome who looked as though he could have gotten away starts swimming back towards the sailboat - not even towards Jeff, as if he were going to help his partner.

An instant later, the water erupts in foam - and teeth. A fearsome shark slices through the surface water for the last few feet that separate him and the gnome with the bleeding arrow wound. The gnome's scream is cut short, and with a flip of the shark's tail, both disappear below.

Looking around, the adventurers spot a few dorsal fins heading toward them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Please note the edit on my last post: Balthazar, Iva, and Sleepyhead are all back at the ranch.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sharn

Few things have surprised Sharn. This is one of them. A look of mixed emotions can be seen on his face. An odd combination of shock, amusement, terror and fascination. Without even thinking about it, Sharn grabs the nearby stretch of rope and tosses one end out to the water. "Jeff! I think catching them alive just became a secondary priority!"

GM of Narutod20's Team 7

22. - Top - End - #202

Balthazar

Well, that was exciting. I think I'm going to get a pot of tea and perhaps a pipe.
    Currently playing as:

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

"Well, hey there, guildmasters! Guess what I found! A potential informant. Yeah, sure one of us ruined a chance at a peaceful and subtle intlligence extraction, but those folks are probably still at the docks dealing with some unessecary stuff I ordered them to retreat from. If you can, you know, set this one with the others and make sure she doesn't die, I'll go back and see if they need help." Shiela says breathlessley as she uncermoniously drops the unconcious body and draws her scimitar, flashing her grimmist smile.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

Just as Sharn was finishing up his healing spell and making sure that Iva was ok, the lone, bleeding gnome was attacked by a shark. Feeling much better, Iva dove for the crossbow and began loading it as Sharn was casting out a line to Jeff who was still in the water with the other gnome.

Gylvin, I suggest we start shooting at the sharks now! If we wound one of them maybe that will draw the attention of the other sharks long enough to get Jeff and our captive out of the water."

Having finished loading the crossbow, Iva takes a shot at the closest shark that she can see.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack - (1d20+1)[3]
    Damage - (1d6)[4]

25. - Top - End - #205

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos5150 View Post
    Shiela

"Well, hey there, guildmasters! Guess what I found! A potential informant. Yeah, sure one of us ruined a chance at a peaceful and subtle intlligence extraction, but those folks are probably still at the docks dealing with some unessecary stuff I ordered them to retreat from. If you can, you know, set this one with the others and make sure she doesn't die, I'll go back and see if they need help." Shiela says breathlessley as she uncermoniously drops the unconcious body and draws her scimitar, flashing her grimmist smile.

Balthazar's smile at having arrived back turns into a grimace.
    Oh. Right. There was trouble. he sighs. I suppose that tea and pipe will have to wait. Bother
    And with that the despirited dwarf heads back.
    Currently playing as:

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sharn

Shark, a fierce and suitable name for such a beast.

"Actually, I'd much proffer to not be on this end of its teeth... thank you."

GM of Narutod20's Team 7

27. - Top - End - #207

As Shiela and Balthazar leave the guildhall running, Father Eldon begins to minister to the woman as the others crowd around him.

Iva's crossbow bolt glances off the water - the nearest shark does not seem to notice. The remaining gnome struggles to free himself from Jeff's grip.

Spoiler
    Show
    EscapeArtist - (1d20)[5]. If his escape succeeds, then: Swim - (1d20+6)[18]. To see if his Escape succeeds, Jeff needs to roll an opposing Grapple check (unless he wants to just let him go).

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't worry about being in exact initiative sequence anymore for this encounter.

28. - Top - End - #208

Kobold

Jeff

As much as I would want to let you get munched on, we should both get out of the water.Jeff tries to hold tight to the gnome, but also grab the rope so that Sharn may pull him out of the water, before Jeff becomes munchies for sharkies.

Spoiler
    Show
    swim - (1d20+3)[4]
    grapple - (1d20+5)[16]

Edit:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I belive that Jeff did not make any progress while swimming...so, how do I catch the rope that Sharn tossed me ?
    Last edited by Bayar; 2008-01-22 at 05:56 AM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

"Out of my way!" the red-head screams as she barrels through the Bridgeport crowd, shield set before her, scimitar flashing in the sunlight, moving at a full sprint. The curved blade is reversed, and the soft edge is set aginst her arm, whilest the killing edge is exposed. Any casual observer can tell that shes primed for a fight, and ready to whip the blade out into a fighting position at a moment's notice.

All shes doing is try to not accidently cut anyone.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

30. - Top - End - #210

Jeff starts to go under with the effort of trying to wrestle with a gnome, get towed to shore, and swim all at the same time, but one moment later he feels his opponent begin to swim cooperatively with him. Evidently the gnome has no desire to become shark food either. Iva and Sharn help Jeff and the gnome up onto the heavily laden sailboat. Along with Gylvin on the dock, they all watch breathlessly as the dorsal fins circle for a short time, then disappear one by one beneath the surface. With the horrific end of his partner, the gnome seems to have given up resisting and sits quietly in the boat. A few moments later, Shiela and Balthazar come running back to the dock, out of breath and sweating.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-01-22 at 06:59 AM.