New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Red Hand of Doom: Team 2 (IC)

A few days ago you received a letter from a trusted friend Norro Winston, a member of House Deneith, asking for help, and of course offering good coin, in a small town just across the Darguun border. You take the rail as far as it will take you and then march on towards Drellin’s Ferry. It takes a few uneventful days, but finally the town is within sight, just a few miles away.

Spoiler
    Show

Need Marching order.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom: Team 2 (IC)

Maor Moonclaw

Maor had spend most of the trip quiet and barely saying anything. The imposing figure and the predatory feeling of the Shifter may give a sense of uneasiness when traveling with him. His general attitude seem professional for a mercenary. His job, among others, was to provide some security and scout for any dangers. He was always alert.

He always carried a small ocarina tied to a hemp string on his neck. Maor usually keeps it as a charm, but he enjoys playing softly on top of a tree after having dinner, it would almost look like a ritual and he normally takes it like that too.

For a quiet and stoic Shifter, he seemed relax when concerned to his personal space. Deep inside, however, Maor was the one who was feeling uneasy. They were traveling deep into Goblin territory. Not only that, he was traveling alongside a Goblin.

"We are approaching our destination." He says loud to the group, being the first on the line.

He never stop being vigilant on his surroundings, always keeping sharp senses on every direction.

Spoiler
    Show

This ain't important, I guess...

But just in case

Spot (1d20+9)[23]
    Listen (1d20+9)[21]
    Last edited by Random NPC; 2007-12-18 at 06:49 PM.
    Image by Rich Burlew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

OOC: Are we across the border yet?

Huukec

Huukec trudges along, using his quarterstaff as a walking stick. His head swivels around, taking some scenery. His mouth is curved into a rare smile. After some time abroad, his travels have finally taken him back into Darguun.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Are we there yet?"

Trudging along behind the rest of the group, Talorian grumbles to whoever will listen.

"I didn't sign up for this much bloody walking, why didn't anyone tell me we'd have to walk so far. I haven't seen a bar for miles."
    High Ref and Recruiter for the PvP Arena.

Characters for the Arena: || Snake || Yoshi || Todd

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Jathrax Winterknight

Jathrax strolls along, wondering what the town would hold in store for them. Musing about his past, he recalled a moment, just like this... a quiet peaceful day until it had been interrupted. In this strange place of wonders, perhaps it would be different. If he could survive the nine traps of the temple... he could survive the rest.

Comforted with this knowledge, he ambles along.
    Last edited by Neftren; 2007-12-18 at 08:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mavian View Post
    "Are we there yet?"

Trudging along behind the rest of the group, Talorian grumbles to whoever will listen.

"I didn't sign up for this much bloody walking, why didn't anyone tell me we'd have to walk so far. I haven't seen a bar for miles."
    Mi'laask, the Gatekeeper

"We should be so lucky, if that's the worst you'll suffer over this contract," the half-orc muttered, though loud enough the entire line can hear. "Nonetheless, your suffering appears at an end."

Mi'laask is enjoying his walk. While not possessed of the fervor of, say, an Ashbound, he does enjoy the moments between towns more than those within. But he figures that's his upbringing more than his religion; Mi'laask was born a swamp rat at heart. But there are other considerations, too. "A stall for you soon, I promise," he tells his mule, who had been throwing him looks that, in an even slightly more imaginative animal, he'd have sworn were withering.
    The cool avatar is by kPenguin

Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalton

Marching along with the others, Dalton makes sure to keep his eyes open as they move. From experience, he's learned that accidents can happen if you don't pay attention, either in the workshop or in the field.

"Hey, I see a town up ahead. I guess you'll be able to get a drink pretty soon, eh?" He says to Talorian, jokingly. "Though to be honest, I think it nice to avoid taverns when you can, all sorts of trouble starts there."

He reaches into one of the side pockets of his haversack and pulls out a metal mug, a few small Eberron gems line the base of it.

"Tnip a tsuj" he whispers and the mug fills itself with watery ale.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

DM

The road crests a small rise and descends into a dusty grove in a large shallow dell. An abandoned farmhouse, partially visible through the trees, stands on one side of the road. Scouting ahead Maor notices that this would be a good place for an ambush, an with further inspection you notice a few armored humanoids lurking in the woods.

The party gets a surprise round.

initiative after surprise:
    Maor
    Tolarian
    Huukec
    Baddies
    Jathrax
    Mi'lassk
    Dalton

Bright Green = Hell Hound
    Big purple dot = ze mule

9. - Top - End - #9

OOC: We have a mule?

IC: Huukec

"WHO GOES THERE?!"

Making some complex motions with his right hand and chating some incantations, Huukec concentrates and draws forth some ground mica. The crystals dissapear from his hand a cloud of glittery dust appears in the area around two of the humanoids (ooc: dots five and six).

OOC: I'm casting glitterdust, DC 17.
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2007-12-19 at 12:45 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10

"You dare to interrupt the journey of Talorian DeMarquis??? Have you fools no sense?"

Striding forward past his allies, he draws his rapier and dagger. Turning slowly until he spots one of the offending humanoids, he grins and points with his rapier. "You shall be the first to die on my blade this day"

Spoiler
    Show

Nonfluff stuff
    Since it looks like I'm standing on the bank, I'm hoping I can move diagonally along it to bypass the rest of the party.
    Move Action: Move to C18 drawing my weapons a free action during a move
    Standard Action: Daunting Presence on Red Circle #1. DC 15 will save or be shaken for 10 minutes.
    Last edited by Mavian; 2007-12-19 at 01:24 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Maor Moonclaw

Drawing his bow and an arrow from his quiver, Maor moves quickly alongside Mi'lassk and prepares to take a shot. He thinks quickly a way to take cover in order to avoid the melee.

"It's an ambush!" He yells to alert the others.

He prepares to shot, aiming for a kill.

Spoiler
    Show

AC: 20
    HP: 41

Moved to A 19 in order to avoid any direct charges.

Attack roll: (1d20+10)[17]
    Critical confirmation: (1d20+10)[14]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[9] plus Sniper Shot (1d6)[3]

Add 4 to damage if the humanoid is a goblinoid. Add 2 if it's an evil outsider.

EDIT: It was target No. 4, he was shooting at

It's a surprise attack, so I only used a move action.
    Last edited by Random NPC; 2007-12-19 at 02:27 PM.
    Image by Rich Burlew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Mi'laask

"Stay here, and defend yourself," Mi'laask orders his mule. In one smooth movement, he takes out his sling, loads it, and fires at the armored creature to his right.

But without even stopping to see if his attack struck, he lets out a sibilant hiss that starts high but ends somewhere towards the party's feet, where it becomes a high pitched squeak.

His rat eyes are red, and there is a bit of saliva dripping from his jaws.

Spoiler
    Show

Move action: load sling.
    Standard Action: Fire sling. Attack (1d20+5)[11], Damage (1d4+2)[3]
    Move Action: Handle Mule to "stay."
    Swift action: Shapechange to predator form

Mule: As it has not been handled, it will only defend itself if attacked, but otherwise will take no actions. Edit: It will stay in its spot, and defend itself if attacked.
    Last edited by Blue_C.; 2007-12-19 at 11:21 PM.

Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalton

Dalton quickly gets out his crossbow and looks at the attackers, trying to see what race they might be. "Who are they?"

Spot:(1d20)[2]
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Dalton:
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not clear to you at the moment, but it's clear they are not humans.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Jathrax - Surprise Round

Jathrax thought to himself how he ever got into this mess into the first place. Then his mind shifted to the battle ahead, and he prepared himself for the inevitable slaughter of the enemy. Years of rough living had taught him that you either live, or you die horribly. He was not one to choose the latter.

Drawing his Scimitar shaped sword and his other Shortsword, he prepares for combat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jathrax will use his Fan the Flames ability to perform a ranged touch attack of (1d20+5)[24] against the red dot labeled 1, for (6d6)[29] Fire damage.

Jathrax will draw his Longsword, which is currently shaped as a Scimitar, and his Shortsword. I thought Unarmed Strike was on the weapon list for Desert Wind... I guess not.

He'll also attempt a spot check to identify the enemy. See OOC Thread
    Last edited by Neftren; 2007-12-19 at 11:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

DM

A glittery blast occurs near #5 and #6, leaving both reeling in pain.

First Round:

initiative after surprise:
    Maor
    Tolarian
    Huukec
    Baddies
    Jathrax
    Mi'lassk
    Dalton

Maor's turn.

Spoiler
    Show

The attackers are hobgoblins It'll be clear as soon as they act, so I'm posting now.

17. - Top - End - #17

Grinning at Hobgoblin#1, Talorian is going to shrug.

"Sorry mate, more pressing matters have come up. It looks like you got lucky this time."

He then moves swiftly to the east, before shifting into a dueling stance and lashing out with his Rapier at Hobgoblin#4.

"You on the other hand, are not so lucky my friend"

Spoiler
    Show

Move Action: C18 to I18
    Standard Action: Attack with Rapier, using Combat Expertise to shift 5 points to AC
    Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[8]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[10]

Stats:
    HP: 30
    AC: 24 Touch: 19 Flat: 21
    Position: I18

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Maor Moonclaw

Seeing as the Hobgoblin he was about to shot was being attacked by Talorian, he moves towards the Hobgoblins and aims at Hobgoblin #3. He prepares and shoots.

After that he points at Hobgoblin #1 and Hobgoblin #2. "Someone try to keep those two off my back! The others on the other side are busy with the magic!"

Spoiler
    Show

HP 41
    AC 20

Move Action: moved to A 17

Standard Action
    Attack Roll (1d20+10)[12]
    Critical confirmation (1d20+10)[13]
    Damage (1d8+7)[11] + Sniper shot damage (damages Flat footed or targets engaged in melee combat) (1d6)[5]

Image by Rich Burlew

19. - Top - End - #19

Huukec

Huukec's eyes widen a little at the sight of hobgoblins. He then calms himself.

"STOP! We are lawful travelers. You defy the edicts of Lhesh Haruuc, ruler of all Darguun by attacking us!"

Huukec makes a few motions and chants to place a spell of flight upon himself. He then flies up 60 ft.

"Further, these folk are under my protection. Me, Huukec Dekar of Kech Volaar! Challenge me and invite the wrath of Kech Volaar!"

OOC: Lime is Goblin.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

DM

Maor's arrow flies just over his intended target, provoking some taunts from the hobgoblin as he draws and arrow of his own. [goblin]"Nice shot!"[/goblin]

Tolarian lunges towards his foe, his attention divided between offense and defense causes his swing to completely miss its target.

Some of them reply to Huukec. [goblin]"We are the Red Hand, we don't bow to Lhesh Haruuc, or to any Kech Volaar dog"[/goblin]

The hobgoblin engaged with Tolarian drops his bow, draws a longsword and take an unbalanced swing, easily deflected by Tolarian.

The remaining enemies hold their ground and pepper the group with arrows.
    An arrow headed towards Maor finds its mark...on the tree to Maor's left. Another arrow seemed to be intended for Jathrax, but it hits the ground harmlessly a few feet in front of its target. A third arrow is fired high towards the flying goblin, but this one falls well short, falling back harmlessly.

Spoiler
    Show

rolled a 3, 4 and 7

The 2 blind enemies drop their bows, draw their swords and stagger swinging wildly.

The hound hustles towards the party, and a second hound becomes visible coming from the path just ahead.

initiative:
    Maor
    Tolarian
    Huukec
    Baddies
    Jathrax
    Mi'lassk
    Dalton

Jathrax's turn.
    Last edited by Powerfamiliar; 2007-12-20 at 01:35 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

OOC: Take two

Mi'lassk

While seeing the hounds come forward gives the druid a slight pause, he decides they are too far from him for the moment. Instead, he heads straight for the closest Hobgoblin. Spittle flying from his jaws, he tries to take a bite out of the enemy's tender flesh.

Spoiler
    Show

Targeting hobgoblin 1, Mi'lassk has +4 dodge bonus against attacks of opportunity.

Bite: (1d20+7)[24], (1d6+4)[6]

Hnikarr IC OOC
    Embresia IC OOC

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Jathrax - Round 1

Jathrax runs around Mi'lassk, headed towards the nearest goblin. A small ball of fire concentrates upon the scimitar. With a hefty swing, he hurls the flaming ball towards the hobgoblin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jathrax will move to square B16 and use Fan the Flames (For Real this Time) for a ranged attack roll of (1d20+5)[15] to deal (6d6)[31] Points of Fire Damage.
    Last edited by Neftren; 2007-12-20 at 08:39 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalton

Seeing the Hell Hounds, Dalton quickly infuses his crossbow to deal extra damage against the beasts. The hobgoblins should be easier to deal with.

Spoiler
    Show
    use Personal weapon augmentation, giving my crossbow the Bane: Outsider, Evil property. Use an action point in the process.

6 action points left.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Maor Moonclaw

Having his target well aware of his intentions, Maor decides to switch strategies. He decides to move closer and now aims at one of the hobgoblins that are blinded with the magic.

"I'm going to take out the weak ones. Someone deal with the other Hobgoblins and those beasts."

He aims for Hobgoblin #5 and shoots.

Spoiler
    Show

AC 20

Moved to D 15

Attack Roll: (1d20+10)[16]
    Damage Roll: (1d8+7)[14] + sniper shot (1d6)[2]

At Hobgoblin #5

Rolls found here and here

Last edited by Random NPC; 2007-12-20 at 09:51 PM.
    Image by Rich Burlew

25. - Top - End - #25

Leading first with his rapier, and following up with a low thrust from his dagger, Talorian cautiously launches a two stroke at the hobgoblin before him, keeping his eyes on the lookout for anyone coming towards him.

Spoiler
    Show

Full Round Action:
    Attack #4 with both weapons shifting 5 points to AC
    Rapier: (1d20+3)[14]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[7]
    Dagger: (1d20+2)[16]
    Damage: (1d4+5)[6]

Stats:
    HP: 30
    AC: 24 Touch: 19 Flat: 21
    Position: I18
    Last edited by Mavian; 2007-12-20 at 09:52 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Huukec

"Kech Volaar dog?! Perhaps it best I show you my bite then, brigands!"

Huukec flies between hobgoblin #2 and its nearby hobgoblin. drops his altitude to just 15 feet above the ground. He pulls out a pinch of colored power with a few gestures and words, tosses it downward. The powder glows for a bit, then dissapears as a flash of colored light sprays downward from Huukec's outstretched palm, engulfing both of his foes..

OOC: Okay, yes I'm casting Color Spray. Basic geometry tells us that the area of the color spray cone that hits the ground should be a circle of 10 ft. radius. So, both the monsters should be hit...

EDIT: Oh, and the DC of the Will save is 16.
    Last edited by kpenguin; 2007-12-20 at 10:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

DM

Jathrax turns the closest hobgoblin into a smoldering corpse.

Mi'lassk charges the next closest hobgoblin causing a nasty bite wound in its leg.
    Spoiler
    Show

had you attack #4 since #1 was already dead.

Maor takes aim at staggering #5, catching him just under the neck, dropping him.

Tolarian's defensive approach continues to prevent him from landing a successful blow.

Huukec's colorful cone catches both, but only seems to affect the closest, causing him to fall to the ground unconscious.

#4 takes a better swing at Tolarian, but he still manages to parry, while #6 continues to stagger aimlessly.

Both hounds ignore the flying goblin and continue their dash towards the party.

#3 takes aim at the now closer goblin, hitting him for [7] damage

initiative:
    Maor
    Tolarian
    Huukec
    Baddies
    Jathrax
    Mi'lassk
    Dalton

Jathrax's turn.

EDIT: map had 2 movement mistakes, fixed.
    Last edited by Powerfamiliar; 2007-12-21 at 03:02 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Dalton

Dalton moves just enough to get a good shot at the hellhound at E14 and fires at it.
    "Heads up guys, I'll see if I can take care of these hounds for you."

Spoiler
    Show

Attack:(1d20+7)[17] (including +2 from Bane)
    Damage:(1d8+1)[6]
    Bonus damage:(2d6)[5]
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Maor Moonclaw

Stupid Goblin, pulling those stunts will get him dead. I can't afford to lose that scum. Maor thinks.

"Jathrax! Get this thing off me! I need to help our Goblin 'friend'." He says to Jathrax as he steps back and aims for the Hobgoblin that attacked Huukec.

I hate this... He thinks as he releases his arrow, aiming for a kill. Even if he was to survive the blow, the Hobgoblin would shift his attention towards Maor.

Spoiler
    Show

AC 20

Can't wait for Jathrax too much. I'm after him and we are close to each other, so I don't think this might affect the turn too much

Used just a standard action to shoot Hobgoblin #3 and took a 5 step move to E 16 to avoid an attack of opportunity.

Attack Roll: (1d20+10)[20]

Damage Roll: (1d8+7)[9]

Attack was a distracting attack, so Hobgoblin #3 is considered flanked by me.

Something else, Dalton's Crossbow is also considered +3, so the base damage roll now should be

Damage:(1d8+1)[6] +2 = 8

Just so you know

Last edited by Random NPC; 2007-12-21 at 02:58 AM.
    Image by Rich Burlew

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Jathrax - Round 2

Jathrax runs towards the furthest goblin to help Huukec.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move to G11.
    Last edited by Neftren; 2007-12-21 at 08:54 AM.