New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Red Hand of Doom: Team 1 (IC)

Marshek Taruuc

Marshek smiles slightly at the mention of the old man's allegiances.

Good, if we can convince him that these raiders mean to destabilize Lhesh Haruuc's rule then we'll have no trouble securing his services.

"The deal sounds fine to me," Marshek growls to the others, "We should get a good night's rest, where can we secure a room?"
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-01-28 at 12:58 AM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eberron: The Secrets of War
    Dance my PC puppets, dance!

Image courtesy of iceddragons

Wonderful Avatar of Mehk, kobold Puppeteer of Legend, by Sneak

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

"Let us leave first thing tomorrow morning to visit Jorr, then."
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Norro

"Very well then, I will leave you to prepare for you mission." he signals his servants and the captain and begins to leave.

Kellin

"If you need rooms you are in the right place. I have a few still available for the night. You could also try the Green Apple Inn, but you don't seem like the sort who can't afford a good night's rest."

((Old Bridge Inn is 2gp per day, comes with breakfast.))

((I'm going to give you a day or so before I move you along so that you can buy/sell or do whatever in town.))

4. - Top - End - #94

Marshek Taruuc

Marshek hands 2 gp over to Kellin.

"I'll stay here, It'll be good to spend a night in a goblin run inn."

He turns to the others and offers quick nods.

"We should be up as early as possible tomorrow, so let's get all of our trading and other business over either tonight or earl tomorrow."

Marshek will go to the jail to pick up his rope if there aren't any objections.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95

BardGuy

As Aramina has no trading that she wishes to complete, she will stay here at the inn and start resting early in order to be ready first thing in the morning.
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

6. - Top - End - #96

Kallan disappears into his room for the next period of time until the party is ready to leave or someone calls upon him.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

DM

Day 2

The party sells most of the mundane equipment, identifies items, and prepare themselves for a day, or more, in the woods.

Spoiler
    Show

Arsenal: The breastplate is a +1 breastplate.
    The mundane equipment sells for: 2345 gp

The party sets out north, heading for Jorr's cabin. It takes about 4 hours to arrive, it should be midday.

The trail leads past a small cabin in a deep forest glade. A ramshackle front porch is littered with fishing baskets and skinning frames. The cabin overlooks a dark bayou or lake, with old gray cedar-trees draped in moss rising out of the water. An old skiff is tied up on the shore nearby, and a little smoke curls from the fieldstone chimney.

Sitting under the front porch are about 6 dogs who,as they notice the party, charge towards you baying. They stop 10 feet short of the party, but don't stop they barking and growling.

A few seconds later, the cabin's door opens, and tall, for a goblin, figure of indeterminate age steps onto the porch. He has a seamed, leathery look to his face and arms, and a big curved knife sits in a sheath strapped to one thigh. "Don't get many visitors here," he rasps, "Who're you, and what d'ya want with me?"
    Last edited by Powerfamiliar; 2008-01-31 at 01:32 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98

BardGuy

Aramina leaves one hand by her bow while she replies, "If you're Jorr, we'd like to ask you for some help around here. There're some bandits in the area, and we'd like a guide who knows these woods before trying to find them. Could you help us with this?"

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Jorr

"Could I help ya?" He stares sadly at his guard dogs. "Bunch 'o raiders got to close to my cabin a few nights ago, bastards killed one of my pups...ye I'll help ya, those bandits deserve whatever is coming to them." He goes back into the cabin, come out with a small backpack and a bow. "Does anyone have any idea where they are? or are relying on me to find 'em?" He takes one of the dogs with him and tosses a big hunk of meet to the rest.

10. - Top - End - #100

[color="darkorange']Marshek Taruuc[/color="darkorange']

Marshek eyes the dogs with distaste but give Jorr a nod of acceptance as the old man agrees to join them.

[color="darkorange']"They've been attacking along the Dawn Way for a while now, but we don't have an exact location. Are there any convenient places for an armed group to take control of somewhere along the road?"[/color="darkorange']
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Jorr

"These clans are not native to the woods, they come form the north, from the mountains. My guess is they are using, and probably holding the old skull gorge bridge. Would surprise me if you found a few in the old Vraath Keep, but we can check that out on the way to the bridge."

Jorr begins walking down the road, followed by his dog.

((Is there anything specific anyone is doing while on the road?, spells, scouting, etc. I will probably post the first encounter tomorrow. ))

12. - Top - End - #102

BardGuy

(I'm usually trying to keep an eye on the surroundings... The owl is less useful for daytime scouting, but is an extra pair of eyes and ears... Oh, and same spell prepared as yesterday, but not cast (Resist Energy))

13. - Top - End - #103
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Day 2

Travel for the first few hours is relatively safe, and you are soon approaching the first river crossing. A wide expanse of dark water has flooded the woodland in this low valley. Trees still protrude from the calm dark waters here and there, but many large reaches seem to be little more than algae-choked water. The thrill of frogs and the whine of insects fills the air. The forest road leads right down to th edge of the flooded section, up to a rickety-looking causeway made of thick planks of wood lashed together with mossy rope. The wooden causeway runs for several hundred feet though the boggy patch, only a foot or so above the water.

Up ahead you can make out the wreckage of a wagon lying on its side and half sunk in the flooded forest, about 30 feet from the causeway.

Jorr
    "Someone should probably check that wagon out, there might still be some gold or goods in it."

Terrain details (key at the top of the map)

Causeway(the planks) is somewhat sleek and uneven. DC 10 balance to run or charge, failure means the character can't move that round.

Shallow bog Each square costs two squares of movement, tumble DC's increase by 2.

Deeper Bog Each square costs four squares of movement, tumble is impossible.

Spoiler
    Show

Same colors as last time. I rolled spots and listen for you, nothing of interest is either seen or heard apart from the half sunken wagon. The wreckage doesn't seem to be to old. Dark blue is Jorr.

Map of the Witchwood

You are near the red x.

14. - Top - End - #104

Kallan says: "Allow me." he mentally commands one of his Zombies to search the wagon and bring back anything metal.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Surprise Round

As the zombie approaches the wagon he seems to stumble, and there appears to be a disturbance in the water. A slimy tentacle appears and grabs a hold of the zombie, trying to crush him. The zombie takes [3] damage from the slam, and an additional [6] from the constriction. ((This counts the DR))

More tentacles then start to appear in the water, about a dozen it seems. Aresnal seems to freeze moments after the creature reveals itself.

Spoiler
    Show

Slam +Improved Grab+Constrict was the AoO.
    Arsenal is held as if by hold person, you can try a save during every of your turns, DC 16 will.

Creature: ((The light green-ish area is its reach))

Marshek:
    Spoiler
    Show

You are the only one who seems to have a clue as to what sort of creature this is. It is an aberration native to marshes and bogs. It can paralyze and even charm opponents. As you just saw his tentacles can be dangerous. It is a somewhat slow creature in water, unbearably so on land.

Initiative:
    Kallan
    Aramina
    Marshek
    Arsenal
    Ursevas
    Barendek
    Creature

Causeway(the planks) is somewhat sleek and uneven. DC 10 balance to run or charge, failure means the character can't move that round.

Shallow bog Each square costs two squares of movement, tumble DC's increase by 2.

Spoiler
    Show

Same colors as last time. I rolled spots and listen for you, nothing of interest is either seen or heard apart from the half sunken wagon. The wreckage doesn't seem to be to old. Dark blue is Jorr.

Map of the Witchwood

You are near the red x.

16. - Top - End - #106

Kallan orders his remaining undead backwards (allowing himself and Aramina to move forwards), and then moves up to D11. This done, he casts Summon Swarm on the creature, calling forth a swarm of bats while simultaneously ordering his zombie forwards.

Spoiler
    Show

The Zombie charges, attacking the creature:
    (1d20+4)[8]

(1d6+1)[4]

Swarm Damage:
    (1d6+1)[3]
    Also, swarm damage wounds, so the creature takes an additional point of damage each turn (I'll add this onto the swarm damage).
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2008-02-06 at 09:25 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

Marshek Taruuc

Marshek swears and draws his greatsword. Noticing Arsenal go stiff makes him curse again as his begins making an arcane gesture.

"The creature can charm or paralyze any of us, but it'll be slower now that it's on land. Don't let Arsenal get taken by it!"

His spell completes and a sizzling line of dark energy strikes towards the beast's central mass.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Ray of Enfeeblement at the creature for...
    RoF - (1d6+2)[3]
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Arsenal

The warforged mentally strains against the paralyzing effect. After a brief moment Arsenal's head swivels in the direction of the creature. "That will not be necessary, Marshek. I have reacquired motor control and function at full capacity once more," Arsenal booms as he takes a defensive stance with his trident. "How is the creature classified?" he asks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Will save: (1d20+3)[20]
    I'll edit post if successful.
    Total defense.
    Last edited by GimliFett; 2008-02-07 at 09:56 AM.
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

19. - Top - End - #109

BardGuy

Aramina takes a 5ft step to A11, draws her bow, and unleashes an arrow into the beast:

To hit (including Point Blank Shot, ignoring cover):(+11)(1d20+11)[20]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[7]

20. - Top - End - #110

Marshek Taruuc

Marshek nods in gratification that Arsenal managed to shake off the paralysis.

"It's classified as an abberation, not a creature of this world but an unnatural hybrid."
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Surprise Round

Kallan: Your mindless pawn charges the tentacled monstrosity, it doesn't succeed in harming the creature. ((The swarm appears at the beginning of your next turn, it has a 1 round casting time.))

Aramina: Your arrow finds its way through all the tentacle, and strikes the creature's center.

Marshek: Your ray hits the creature, visibly weakening and annoying it. ((You forgot to roll to hit, rolled it for you.))

Ursevas: ((NPCed)) Ursevas casts a defensive spell. Suddenly there are many copies of the wizard. ((Mirror Image))

Barendek: (NPCed)) Casts a spell and readies himself against the incoming creature. ((Shield of Faith))

Jorr: "Oh my." He moves north a bit and draws his bow.

Creature: The alien beast moves towards the party and begins swinging its tentacles against all in range. The already grapple zombie takes [7] damage. He swings 3 tentacles at the newly arrived zombie, who manages to avoid none. he takes [1] damage. ((Curse a lower strength and DR!!)) It swings 3 at Barendek and likewise for Marshek. 2 hit Marshek for a total of [7] damage, Barendek takes a total of [8].

Initiative:
    Kallan
    Aramina
    Marshek
    Arsenal
    Ursevas
    Barendek
    Creature

Spoiler
    Show

Map of the Witchwood

You are near the red x.
    Last edited by Powerfamiliar; 2008-02-08 at 03:09 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

BardGuy

Aramina (I'll jump order, as I don't see it changing my action):

Rapid shot into the beast:

(1d20+9)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[8]
    (1d20+9)[23]
    Damage: (1d8+4)[12]

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Arsenal

The warforged concentrates a moment, infusing a bane against aberrations into his trident. "Thank you, Marshek. I am better prepared to damage the creature now," Arsenal booms as he readies himself either to receive an attack from the beast or to attack the beast himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rapid Infusion: personal weapon augmentation, bane vs aberrations (+2 hit, +2d6 damage).
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

24. - Top - End - #114

Marshek Taruuc

Grunting from the creature's slams Marshek steps quickly towards the main mass of the creature.

"Aim for the main mass, and no one get into melee if they can help it!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Marshek moves off of the bridge to F9 and attacks the creature with a channeled Shocking Grasp.

Attack - (1d20+9)[10]
    Damage - (2d6+5)[10]
    SG - (5d6)[20]
    FAIL
    Last edited by Darkantra; 2008-02-08 at 11:41 PM.
    Currently DMing
    Spoiler
    Show