New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

Loghren

As the party each makes there way to the inn, they notice Loghren already sitting in the commons area with a plate of food and a mug of ale.

"Anyone who wants an ale, it's on me. But just one. I remember what happened last time." Loghren chuckles and continues to eat. He has cleaned himself up a bit, with some new but not necessarily nice clothes, and his weapons are at his side as always.

Spoiler
    Show
    Unless that's not allowed at the inn, in which case all gear is stowed away in his room.
    Avatar courtesy of The Stoney One
    WWTD? No, really. I'd like to know.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Vafra

Vafra, having seated herself next to Loghren, shakes her head politely at his offer for ale. "Alas, Hotha has not revealed anything new in my search." Vafra says sadly sighing through her mask, to Loghren.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Imani

Imani joins them at the table. "An ale is fine with me. Thank you." She also orders a plate of whatever is edible tonight and digs in, not really paying attention to the taste.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham

After unsuiting his armor, Baelham rejoins the group in the common room - he appears at the entrance wearing a well-tailored, but fading green tunic with dark brown trousers - and in place of his sollerets, he wears a pair of old, but sturdy boots. His looks weren't exactly impressive, but he certainly didn't look like a beggar - his appearance would do.

Baelham accepts Loghren's generous offer, and then orders a small plate of food (of whatever sounds best) to silence his hunger. When the food arrives, he silently eats, not looking up from his plate until finished or personally addressed.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

Zadryn

After getting a room for himself, Zadryn headed up to wash before the meeting. Afterward, he joined the others at their table. He had cleaned his clothes and apparently left his armor and weapons in his room, except for the dagger at his side.

"The offer is appreciated, Loghren," he said as he ordered an ale for himself. He did no get any food, however, preferring not to spoil his appetite for the feast their host had arranged.

"Our searched yielded no results, unfortunately. The Governor has the Golden Hand's records locked up tight. We'll just have to listen to what they have to say."
    The best way to describe being Master of the Universe is that it's like wearing underpants fresh out of the dryer. Yeah, that's the feeling...

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham

Pausing from his snack for a moment, Baelham turns to Zadryn, a bit amused. "Are you really that surprised? Any organization that is successful in dealing in money the way they do is bound to have plenty of secrets - especially when they've accumulated the wealth they have." He shakes his head. "And so long as they're led by wise men, they'll do what they can to protect their secrets. Fortunately for them, silence is something easily bought..." He looks away, taking a sip from his ale. "...you just need to know your market."
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-12-25 at 02:34 PM. Reason: grammarz

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Zadryn

Zadryn sighed as he gently shook his head. "Nah, not surprised. Just disappointed. Any time you take a job from an employer with secrets, you run the risk of getting yourself in over your head." He shrugged. "But then again, there is risk in everything, and no money equals a starving Zadryn. There is no reason not to hear them out. I just wish I had more information is all."
    The best way to describe being Master of the Universe is that it's like wearing underpants fresh out of the dryer. Yeah, that's the feeling...

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham

Setting down his mug, Baelham glances back to Zadryn. "Indeed. You're wise to seek out the truth, but be careful with whom you inquire and with whom you divulge - overt action of either sort might only bring you more difficulties, as nobody wants to be interrogated, or suffer disrepute. And, when the subject at hand is such a golden one, you are only more likely to regret it." He returns to his ale. "Earn your gold and live your life - the fewer questions you ask, the less people will bother you." He smiles faintly for a moment, but then his face returns to its normal blank state. "Don't worry about whatever work they have in mind - if we don't find it suitable, we can always say 'no'."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Zadryn

He grinned and took a drink of his ale as he listened to Baelham. "Such a philosophy would work for some people, and possibly it would be much safer. However I don't really have that option. It would be irresponsible of me, in my position, not to ask all of the necessary questions."
    Last edited by Rydax; 2007-12-26 at 03:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Your idle chatter carries you to the appointed hour. There's a soft tapping footfall outside the doorway and a lavishly dressed man with an elegant bearing approaches across the common room, making elegant use of a cane. "Greetings to you," he says politely when he reaches your table. "I am Ker Meldronn. I would say it's a pleasure, but I expect that has yet to be determined. By your presence here, I gather you are interested in my proposition? At least enough to hear more?"
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham

Baelham offers a quick nod to Zadryn before rising from his seat to greet their would-be employer.

As he turns, Baelham's face lights up - his eyes are fixed and attentive, his smile wide and warm. He steps closer to the lord, with light, graceful steps. He halts a short distance, and bows. "Quite interested, seneschal Meldronn. We are very eager to hear what you would have us do."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to make a Diplomacy check - maybe I can get him to warm up to us? [roll0]

Edit: I guess because I previewed it, it didn't work? I'll try again in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-12-26 at 04:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Loghren

Following Baelham's lead, Loghren rises from his seat and offers his hand in a hardy handshake to the strange man in the ridiculous clothing. For a moment, he appears put off by the man's odd statement. Clearly his way of speaking would not work in his clan. More than likely, such offense would lead him to be removed from the area and told never to darken their homes again! But Loghren quickly changes his facial expression to one a bit more welcoming, not wanting to ruin their chance of employment before they've even been told what it is.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Imani

Imani rises respectfully and nods her head in greeting. "Yes, that would be correct." She offers one hand in greeting.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Vafra

Vafra takes a quick hop from her seat and stands next to Loghren. She stares up at Ker Meldronn but says nothing. Her head twists slightly at his words, the androgynous mask covering her face twisting in kind. Her compatriots had already offered their words and her presence was her answer.
    Last edited by MOD; 2007-12-26 at 10:36 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Branthyn

The priest rises at their hosts entrance. He had declined both drink and food for the time being, thinking that their host might well be offering them dinner and he did not want to seem impolite and not partake of the man's generosity.

"We are indeed interested enough to sit and listen to what you have to say."

Pointing to an empty chairs he queries,

"Would you care to join us here, or should we retire to a more secluded room for such discussions?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Ker takes the hand of any who offer it. "Excellent," he says with a short smile. "If you would be so good as to follow me, I have a room set aside for our discussions." He gives Branthyn an approving nod.

He leads you down a short hall in the inn, through a door with a soldier of the Golden Hand stationed outside. The table is nearly groaning with the weight of food upon it-- fine delicacies all, including a roasted baby wyvern. Several high quality bottles of wine and a keg of fine ale are set at one end of the table. "Help yourselves," Ker says, as he seats himself at the head of the table. "We can talk more openly in here. What I wish to hire you to do, is to bring us-- Lord Caro and myself-- the contents of the main treasure vault of the Iron Helm."
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham

Acting far more formally than usual, Baelham follows the seneschal with a courtier's grace, composed and well-mannered. He only sits once their host is no longer standing, and then proceeds to pull over a glass, and pour himself some wine. Upon the Iron Helm being mentioned, he halts, and sets down the bottle.

"Treasure vault?" His brow arches slightly. "I heard those were all seized once the Dominion fell. You are saying there's a main vault out there, still untouched?" He then takes a sip of his wine, awaiting an answer.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

The Phonse

Alphonse looks up from his plate for a moment, "Opening a big safe hardly seems worth our time... I assume that it is in some abandoned castle on top of a hill seething with undead. The Vault itself being trapped and probably empty, for we will find out our treasure is in another castle...", he rollls his eyes, as if he were silently agreeing with himself. "How much will we be payed for this?". Alphonse returns to his meal, stuffing a handful of biscuits into his backpack.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Imani

Imani follows, when she hears the task, she raises one eyebrow, but never one to refuse food, she fills a plate and sits down to eat.

She's rather cynical about the so called treasure, but a small part of her is curious.

"You can't retrieve this treasure yourselves? Just where is this supposed Vault and why do you think the treasure belongs to you?
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

Vafra

Vafra sits directly opposite of Ker and stares at him. Vafra chooses items for her plate that Ker chooses for himself; though she doesn't touch the food or drink the wine. Sitting quietly Vafra listens to the conversation with interest.

Vafra was one of those people who liked to grok what she heard in fullness before venturing a question of her own.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Loghren

Loghren follows into the large room. He fills his mug with the ale, but hesitates before eating any food. Not waiting for the others to have their questions answered, he cuts straight to the point.
    "Just so we're perfectly clear on all of this, let me restate it. You want us to go in and clean out the main vault. The whole thing. All of it. And bring it to you. Any other vault - anything in there belongs to us. And you'll pay us some amount. I only assume that you are paying us more than "whatever is in the other vaults" which, really, is no payment at all. Of course, if we decide to simply keep what's in the main vault for ourselves, well, that means you'll send your goons after us until either we change our mind or you decide to have us killed. Whichever you decide, really. Is that what your offer is?"

He stares directly at the man, right into his eyes. His look is not one of anger, but simply is matter of fact.
    Last edited by Loghren the Barbarian; 2007-12-27 at 11:10 PM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Branthyn

Branthyn had hoped they would begin with some pleasantries over the exotic fare at the table and had taken a sampling of most things onto his plate before decanting some wine into his glass. As his companions begin rapidly firing blunt questions at their host, the cleric pauses mid pour and sighs heavily. Finishing his glass, he raises it in a silent toast to their host and apologetically smiles to the man while shrugging his shoulders.

He was confident some sort of accord would be made here, Branthyn decided he would wait and see how their host responded and tolerated some of the more eccentric of the group. After, he would decide which of his questions still seemed appropriate.

Sense Motive - (1d20+4)[16]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Ker seems unruffled by the barrage of questions. "Their main vault is, indeed, still untouched. It was in the basement levels of their keep in Vannir-- the exact location will be a bit more difficult to determine given the ruined state of the keep. But I can provide layouts of the keep prior to its fall, once you're ready to make the attempt. As the Iron Helm is no more, the treasure belongs to those with the means to seize it. You are, in part, those means for Lord Caro. Your blunt friend has the general idea more or less correct, although he's off on the details. The reason we can't simply go and uncover the vault is that the keys are scattered. We've located the whereabouts of a bearer of one of those keys, however, and that should be enough to get you started. You'll be required to retrieve all the necessary keys and then use them to open the vault. And bring us everything. Every last scrap of paper or cloth, and every last copper coin. Any other spoils you discover along the way are, of course, yours. In addition, you'll be paid one hundred twenty thousand gold pieces each for your efforts, upon completion of the task. I trust that will suffice?"

Branthyn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He seems about as open and forthright as any banker would be.
    Last edited by DarkLadyOfTheSith; 2007-12-28 at 01:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham

A few glances to each other member of the party, as they spoke, showed Baelham wasn't pleased with the numerous questions that bombarded Caro's man - he plainly expected everyone to speak in-turn. But, he remained silent, not wanting to speak again until he allowed the seneschal the opportunity to talk.

At the mention of the reward, Baelham sets down his wine glass, and takes a moment to comprehend the promised amount. "One-hundred twenty-thousand?" He rests a hand on the table, his surprised look showing he had expected significantly less pay. He takes a moment to collect his thoughts, and then speaks. "You want us to use the keys to open the vault once we are done collecting them..." He hesitates a moment. "...and carry whatever we find to your doorstep? We can only offer so much protection to what lies within - exhuming any significant treasures from this vault, I would presume, would take more than our small lot. Would you provide your own trusted men to extract the findings along with us? Or, shall we be forced to hire vagrants off the streets to bring it in, and risk thievery?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

Zadryn

Zadryn gave their host a gracious bow of his head, and filled his plate as he listened to the conversation. He agreed with the many good points that were brought up, but not necessarily with their delivery. He couldn't help but grin when Loghren spoke. His respect for the man was growing all the time. He had said precisely what was going through Zadryn's mind, except that he had decided to be pretty blunt about it. Amused, he continued to listen to what the others had to say. There would be time for questions after his companions finished. But for the moment, he couldn't imagine anything but good coming out of a raid on the iron helm. The amused smile stayed on his face even as he ate.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Orc in the Playground

Vafra

Vafra continues staring at Ker. She couldn't quite tell what this strange man had up his sleeve but they weren't being told the whole picture.

"I have two question for you sir," Vafra speaks slowly articulating every word, "This task you set before us must be of the utmost importance for you. Obviously for 120,000 gold each. Such a task must be fraught with danger or highly illegal, and likely both for a sum of that magnitude. What are the dangers and associated risks involved with this venture and what is inside the vault? Add as much detail as you can manage."

Vafra pauses and seems to have stopped speaking. "Oh and why do you think we," Vafra looks to each person at the table, "are best suited for this venture? Your courteous invitation was rather unexpected upon our arrival. I had not realized our reputation preceded us so well.” There is another long pause between Vafra’s words. Such that it seems that she is purposefully finishing her thoughts when the next person would like to speak.

“I would enjoy groking on your responses."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive! On Ker! (1d20=11)

Vafra usually speaks in that irritatingly slow and often rude manner. She is not one to mince words.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham

At a loss for words, Baelham stares blankly at Vafra, and then offers a sympathetic glance to the seneschal. He opens his mouth to speak, but a troubled sigh is all that escapes - he clearly does not approve of the halfling's demeanor.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

"We can provide you carrying vessels at the appropriate time," Ker replies to Baelham's question. To the halfling, he replies in an even tone. "We don't know what's in the vault. That information has proven difficult to come by. As you may gather, we expect that whatever it contains is quite valuable. There is nothing illegal about our request, although if you choose to employ such means in your accomplishment of it, that is your own affair. We won't intervene if you do and pay the consequences for such actions. And yes, I expect the mission will be quite dangerous, however you have a reputation for surviving difficult spots, and more than one of you has no reason to love the Iron Helm. I cannot speak to the specifics of all the dangers you will encounter, although the individual we located is hiding out among a kobold religious cult. I expect they won't take kindly to strangers."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham

Baelham nods in acceptance of the proposal, and then silently contemplates any possible difficulties they might have along their way. "Who is this individual?" He asks, after some hesitation. "And, why are they hiding out with kobolds?"
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2007-12-31 at 03:57 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Ker smiles. "That information will only be revealed if you agree to the terms of employment," He reaches into his jacket and removes a sheaf of parchments. "I happen to have the necessary contracts with me, if you all are agreed." He places the papers on the table for each of you to examine. They appear to be a standard mercenary contract-- the terms of which are, while hidden in legalese, fairly straightforward, agreeing to provide services in exchange for payment.