Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 187
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Loghren the Barbarian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Minnesota

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Loghren

    "So, just to clarify . . . what is the result if we do not stick with the contract? Not saying we won't. Just, you know, I want to know what we have to contend with. After all, I'm sure you know that, when hiring mercenaries, there's always the risk that someone else will pay more. Again - not saying we would. Just want to know the options."
    Avatar courtesy of The Stoney One
    WWTD? No, really. I'd like to know.


  2. - Top - End - #62
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Vafra

    Vafra delicatly grabs one of the contracts and reads through the terms and conditions. She reads and reads the contract trying to grok it in everyway possible.

    She sets it down after a few minutes of study, waiting for Loghren's answer to come before making a decision.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground
     
    wxdruid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Jump Ring Heaven

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Imani

    Imani takes one and listens for the moment, when she gets a moment, she reads the contract very carefully.

    Sense Motive (1d20 8=25)

    decipher contract (1d20 3=22)
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Baelham

    After Loghren speaks - or as Baelham would see it, stumble for words - he interjects. "What my companion means to ask is - if misfortune should find us, and keep us from finishing the job, would there be any possibility of voiding the contract without leaving us in some sort of debt of service? I would imagine so, as you mentioned the pay comes after a completed task." He ends with a smile.
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-01-02 at 10:39 PM.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Diarmuid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Branthyn

    The cleric continues to cringe as he watches his companions continue to stumble around this conversation. This job seems like one that could have a lot of different people looking into it. It seems like the best opportunity he's had in a long time to maybe find what he has been seeking.

    Taking up one of the contracts, he looks it over and nods to himself. He waits for the man's answer again, but begins taking a quill and small bottle of ink from his pack.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DarkLadyOfTheSith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    "Of course. You can break the contract if you wish, with no ill fortune aside from a tarnished reputation and a lack of payment."

    Imani:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As far as you can tell, Ker is being honest, and there are no hidden clauses in the contract.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Avatar courtesy of Vael

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Baelham

    Nodding, Baelham uses Ker's words. "Of course." He pauses a moment, and then gives another quick read over the parchment.

    "Very well. I find the contract agreeable."

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground
     
    wxdruid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Jump Ring Heaven

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Imani

    Imani shrugs, finds a writing utensil from somewhere and signs her name. She hands the contract back to Ker.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Loghren the Barbarian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Minnesota

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Loghren

    Having heard the response he wanted, although it may not be truthful, Loghren placed his mark on the contract. He wasn't crazy about signing anything. It wasn't the way he did things. But, well, it was a lot of money. He could do a lot with that.
    Avatar courtesy of The Stoney One
    WWTD? No, really. I'd like to know.


  10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Vafra

    Vafra shrugs her shoulders and signs her name as well to a contract. She wasn't quite sure how they would fare but she was willing to try. Though she still didn't trust Ker as far as she could throw him.

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2006

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Alphonse

    Taking a stack of the unsigned contracts, Alphonse begins scrawling his name. He takes a new one, and holds a quill to it. "Excellent, excellent. Don't worry Imani, I'll get it. How is that spelled?" He holds the quill to the contract in thought, ink slowly blotting where the name should be signed.
    I started some video game blog. (possible nsfw language)

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground
     
    wxdruid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Jump Ring Heaven

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Imani

    Imani looks at Alphonse with irritation, If you sign for me, then it isn't my name on it. Don't ever forge my name on anything.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Diarmuid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Branthyn

    Finally smiling seeing that their host did not appear to have been too insulted, the cleric dips his inkpen but hesitates before he puts pen to paper.

    "You mentioned a payment at the successful completion of the arrangement, but depending on the circumstances there may be some expenses incurred along the way. I feel some form of "good faith" gesture on your part would not necessarily be out of the question."

    He tilts his head inquisitively as he maintains his smile directed at the man.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    Rydax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Zadryn

    Zadryn took one of the contracts, and a pen, and signed his name as well. Satisfied with the description of the job, he went back to his plate of food.
    The best way to describe being Master of the Universe is that it's like wearing underpants fresh out of the dryer. Yeah, that's the feeling...


  15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DarkLadyOfTheSith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    "We'll supply you with provisions for the first stage of the journey. Will that be 'good faith' enough?" Ker asks.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Avatar courtesy of Vael

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Diarmuid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Branthyn

    Nodding satsifactorily, the cleric voices his agreement,

    "Indeed I do. I believe we have an accord."

    With that, he puts pen to paper and makes his mark.

    "Now, I'm sure we would be very interested to find out about this person hiding out with religious kobolds. Please, spare no detail."

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Vafra

    Vafra nods in agreement the mask on her head bobbing in time. More information would be appropriate.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Baelham

    Baelham feasts on a large portion of food when he is not speaking - but he is not seen reaching for the wyrmling over the course of their time there. He does not meditate upon choosing other things to put on his plate, however - and by now, he's eaten enough a meal for two. Considering what food he ordered prior to the meeting as well, it would appear that Baelham has a rather large appetite - perhaps a surprise, when he rations his travelling supplies so well.

    Noticing that the group was agreed upon the terms of employment, Baelham pauses from his meal, and reclines into his seat, wineglass in hand. He anticipates what more can be learned about the task eagrly, but remains as quiet - and as stiff - a rock.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DarkLadyOfTheSith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    "His name is Vintz Corthon and he was a spy and sneakthief for the Helm. How he ended up with one of the keys, we're not certain, as he wasn't considered high ranking enough to warrant one. Likely he lifted it from someone else. Likely he found the kobold retreats a place that the Empire wouldn't go looking for him. There is a price on his head, after all. He's likely running some sort of scam up there as well, although I don't have any information on what it might be." He pulls out a map of the mountain range north of Hotha with three locations marked. "We believe he's at one of these sites, ranked by order of probability. Oh, and he was reasonably good friends with a young dragon that worked with the Helm-- Icewind. I expect them to be together, since he's gone missing as well."
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Avatar courtesy of Vael

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground
     
    wxdruid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Jump Ring Heaven

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Imani

    Imani looks up...Dragon? ...just how old is this dragon and what color?
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Baelham

    With the mention of a dragon, Baelham freezes completely. His eyes show great concern, as they intently stare into oblivion, as he ponders what tales he had heard of the great beasts.

    As he travelled into the memories of his past, he searched for the names Ker provided - perhaps he had heard of the wanted-man and his "friend", before.

    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-01-09 at 09:38 PM.

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Vafra

    Vafra stares hard at the mention of a dragon. But those questions with which she had been interested in had been asked on that subject. "Sir, how many keys, in total, must we find?"

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Diarmuid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Branthyn

    Like most, a look of surprise and alarm crosses the cleric's face at the flippant mention of a dragon accompanying this man.

    "The younger the better, I would say. I suppose that probably explains why the kobolds have suffered this man to hide amongst them. What sorts of skills did this man possess before he left the Helm?"

    He racks his memory, trying to recall everything he might have learned about dragons.

    Knowledge Arcana - (1d20+8)[25]

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DarkLadyOfTheSith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    "We don't know precisely how many keys there are. At least six, perhaps more. As to the dragon, you could probably guess by his name that he's a white. And perhaps fifty years or so. We don't have specifics. Vintz is a sneak, a con artist, a pick pocket and a petty thief. He's also a bit of lush, I'm given to understand."

    Branthyn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your roll is good enough to know pretty much everything about white dragons that's in the standard MM entry about them.


    Baelham:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've never heard of Icewind, but you've heard a little about Vintz-- you can confirm everything that Ker has said. You've also heard that he's rather cowardly.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Avatar courtesy of Vael

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Diarmuid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Branthyn

    A look of concern is passed from the cleric to the others.

    "Around fifty eh, that would leave a juvenile to young adult dragon on our hands. Either would be a formidable opponent, but a young adult would be just beginning to develop some of the more dangerous of draconic traits: resistance to magic, an aura of fear, scales able to turn away most mundane weapons, and the well known devastating breath weapon. Hopefully it will not have begun mastering the arts yet, or we will be in sever trouble. As a white, it will be immune to cold and vulnerable to fire. Near peerless flyers, most dragons can also burrow through the ground, albeit much slower. It likely goes without saying, but if we can get the key and the information from this Vintz without actually encountering the dragon...we will likely be much better off."

    Sighing a bit as the weight of the task settles fully onto him, a determined set comes to his jaw and he endeavors to move things along,

    "We have agreed to this task, and you have agreed to equip us on this first leg of our journey."

    He goes on to list the things they will likely need for the journey.

    Food
    Water
    Mounts (for those without)
    Pack animal
    Cold Weather equipment
    Various supplied (torches, rope, yadda yadda)

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Baelham

    Baelham gives Branthyn a nod. "Yes, avoiding the dragon altogether sounds like the best plan - but, for some reason, I doubt this Vintz is one to wander far from his "companion". A wanted-man under the protection of a dragon is likely not as desired - and I'm sure he knows that's likely among his best options."

    He pauses.

    "If I had more time for research - or better yet, the gold to buy another wizard's time - I could more-well prepare us all for both the environment and the dreaded beast. But maybe..." He silently considers his options. "...maybe, Alphonse and I can formulate a way to render it less of a threat, regardless."

    He looks up, turning directly to Ker. "So - we'll find Vintz, get whatever we can out of him, and then what? Should we follow any clues we find, or report back to you, here, immediately?"
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-01-10 at 11:33 PM.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2006

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Alphonse


    "ANOTHER wizard?! I do hope by that you meant you would finally stop with this swording nonsense so you may finally count yourself as such. I think I could hardly tolerate any others reading my spell book." Alphonse ponders for a moment, bringing his fingers to his lips in thought. "Well, anyway, how is one "reasonably good friends" with a dragon? Is that to say they attended the theater together and the occasional game of chess, or perhaps, the dragon finds him more amusing as a pet then food?"
    I started some video game blog. (possible nsfw language)

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Deepblue706's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Baelham

    With a smile, Baelham speculates on the relatioship between Vintz and Icewind. "It may see him as a pet - but perhaps, if he's a clever man, the creature might value him for that as well. For its kind, the Icewind is still young - and likely isn't too bright. They trade one-other for brains and brawn - perhaps, in that exchange, friendship can be born." He takes a breath - still partly amused, but likely a touch frustrated, as well. "And no, I will not stop what you refer to as "nonsense" - practicing swordplay along with my studies of the arcane allows me more options in combat. I might not be as masterful of either art as any dedicated soldier or scholar, but my ability to fight is limited only by my own wits. It matters little how strong or swift my foe, or how easily they succumb to incantations - I have learned to find a way, regardless of the situation." He sighs, taking a moment to pause from the semi-faux argument. "And no, I meant I need to find another wizard. Last I checked, you hadn't ever studied protection spells, you ingenious fool."

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Diarmuid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    Branthyn

    The cleric rolls his eyes at the usual bickering between the two. Holding up his hand asking for a break in their never-ending argument, he answers for Ker.

    "We get his key through whatever means possible. Hopefully in doing so we will find some clues as to where the other keys are, and once we have them all we will have everything we need to find and open this ancient vault."

    Returning to the subject of why they would partner,

    "Both probably sought the added protection and strength gained from not working alone after the fall of the Helm. If he is conniving and intelligent, he may have been able to trick or persuade the young dragon to help him. Or the Helm may have had some kind of magical leverage on the dragon that he was able to use against it. I am sure that the Maker will see us through these ventures. No special arrangements should be too necessary other than those I already outlined."

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DarkLadyOfTheSith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

    "We would, of course, appreciate updates on your progress, but if the trail leads away from Hotha, there's no need to report back immediately. You can leave a message with any office of the Hand, and they'll see it gets to me." Ker appears to find any speculations about the nature of the friendship of the dragon and the wanted man unimportant as he neglects to comment on it. "Your rooms shall be seen to tonight, of course, and you'll find the supplies you requested waiting for you come morning. Unless you feel we have further business to discuss, I shall leave you to the repast." He looks at each of you for a moment to see if there are any final questions.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Avatar courtesy of Vael

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •