New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Trifecta: The Iron Vault

The halfling grunts, "If you're buying, I'm listening. Don't count on me going on some fool mission or idiotic sight-seeing trip."
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham

Revealing the map provided by Ker, Baelham continues. "We're looking for someone said to be hiding out somewhere nearby." He points to the three locations, in the order of probability Ker had mentioned. "We believe he's at one of these places, and we intend to investigate each area until we find him. Of course," He smiles. "we are willing to pay you in gold."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Orc in the Playground

Vafra

Vafra sits impatiently at the table waiting for the food she ordered to arrive. Vafra begins with a lite tapping of her foot. She counts slowly to ten inside her head and her foot stops tapping for a moment. But as soon as her silent counting had ceased her foot began tapping in irritation and hunger again. While Vafra knew that little time had been passed between her order being taken and the entrance of her companions she was impatient and quite hungry.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham

With the halfling's hesitation to reply, Baelham decides to make an offering. "How do 50 pieces sound? I'm sure you'll find few other employers willing to give so much for so simple a task."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Loghren

Loghren grabs a mug, sits down next to Baelham, and looks the guide over. He does not try to look intimidating, but he knows that's not always easy for a man of his stature. Throughout the dialogue, he looks at the guide, never looking away.
    Avatar courtesy of The Stoney One
    WWTD? No, really. I'd like to know.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Imani

She'll chose a seat (somewhere away from Vafra...) and she'll eat whatever is offered. She listens and waits for the potential guide to reply.
    Last edited by wxdruid; 2008-02-19 at 05:52 PM.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sounds desperate. What aren't you telling me? That's lizard country up there, that is. You're either desperate or crazy if you're wanting to go up that way." He tucks into the food as the tavernkeep brings it around, although he continues to eye Vafra speculatively while he eats and talks.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

Vafra

Vafra gives the man her trademark ominous stare through her mask. Vafra is an odd sight as she digs in to her food. Her fork appears to travel straight through her mask on its search for her mouth. Vafra chews slowly and with an audible swallow the fork extrudes itself from her mask and is placed gingerly on her plate.

"Crazy," Vafra says responding to Tew, "Yes, that would describe us accurately enough. The offer is 50 gold now, and when we return another 50 and no more questions. Do we have a deal or should we take our business elsewhere?"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham

Although he gazes upon her with an arched brow, Baelham accepts Vafra's approach, merely awaiting on Tew to decide.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Loghren

Loghren smiles at the man he hopes will still potentially be their guide. "It's not so much crazy or desperate as it is that we really don't feel like spending our time wandering aimlessly about town trying to determine who can get us to where we want to go. The Tavernkeeper recommended you. Also, while we are well aware that it is dangerous up there, I'm sure that you know what those dangers are. We need someone who can tell us what they are and show us where they are, so we either can avoid them or hit them straight-on. That seems much better to me than being caught by surprise. We are well-equipped and experienced fighters. With your knowledge and our ability, I'm sure we can keep you safe while we reach our goal. Not only will we do all we can to make sure you are relatively unhurt, in fact, I would insist that if trouble happens, you do what you can to stay safe. We need a guide who will last and live. It wouldn't do us a bit of good to put you at any more risk than necessary. Which is why we would like to get this deal taken care of sooner rather than later. And, sometimes, it's easier to make a good offer from the start rather than sitting around and negotiating. That just wastes time that we could spend planning, learning from you, and preparing ourselves for whatever dangers are out there"

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Alphonse

Strolling up to the would-be-guide, Alphonse takes out a small pouch. "How would a bag of Archibalds do you to help us?" He lays the bag down at the halflings feet, and a few platinum pieces are visible peaking through. Perhaps Archibald is the name of the figure on the coins, a local figure wherever they were minted. Or perhaps Alphonse enjoys the idea of 'coining' a phrase. (The bag contains ten platinums)

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham

Turning away from the halfling's gaze, Baelham's face is visibly consumed by frustration. "How much money do you have? We might need that for something important - so give him some time to consider what we've laid on the table before throwing more at him!"
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-03-15 at 11:41 AM. Reason: After a whole month I realized I had poor sentence structure

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Tew eyes the pouch of platinum coin for a moment before shaking his head emphatically. "My answer is no. You might make me rich, but riches do no good to a dead man. Thanks for the drink," he says, downing the ale and getting up from the table. "But you can find some darn fool around here to take your over-priced guide job." He nods once to Vafra before leaving the inn.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Once Tew leaves, Baelham's open hand meets his forehead with an audible slap, then slowly reaching down toward his chin, pulling down the skin of his face as he shields his eyes and gritting teeth that mark his agony quite well.

He suffers his frustration silently, however, and breathes a moment before addressing the party "Okay..." He says with a quiet voice. "...let's...try to find someone else, then." he stares a bit vacantly into the floor a few feet away. "And..." he then shoots a glance to each member. "...how about we let me do all the talking, hmm?"
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-03-22 at 11:02 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

Imani

Imani looks equally frustrated, one hand is on her dagger, fingering the hilt. It would be so pleasant to rid themselves of one nuisance... but she won't. Both hands end up where everyone can see them. She drinks whatever is in her mug, Yes, let's, as she glares in Alphonse's direction.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

Vafra

Vafra nods to Tew as he leaves with a raised eyebrow. Why the nod? Snatching up the bag of 'Archibalds' Vafra shoves it into Alphonse's hands and gives him the same ominus stare that she had previously given everyone else; a stare that said sit down and shut up before I sit you down and shut you up. "Agreed," Vafra says to Baelham grudingly, "But be quick about it and find someone already I would rather not have to do it myself..."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham

"Yeah," Baelham gives Vafra a reluctant nod. "eat, I'll look around."

Baelham returns to the tavernkeeper. "It would appear the man you suggested our group employ isn't currently for hire. You wouldn't happen to know of any other reliable trappers or hunters who could serve as a guide, would you?"
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-03-22 at 11:21 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

Loghren

Unsure if his long-winded rant was at least partially to blame, in addition to the ridiculous constant offer of coin, Loghren finds a seat by himself. He sits, drinking a mug of ale, and staring blankly at the table, doing his best to think of as little as possible. I'll let them take care of getting us a guide. No need to stick my boot in my mouth again.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

A seedy looking half-elf with a weasel-like nose looks over the top of his beer as Baelham speaks to the barkeep. "I might could show you 'round. Where you lookin' to head, and how much you offerin'?"
    Last edited by DarkLadyOfTheSith; 2008-03-22 at 11:31 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham, somewhat relieved to find another prospective guide so soon, immediately turns toward the half-elf, and approaches him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive: 10 on the Half-Elf dude. You totally asked for it when you described him as "seedy"

"Up into the mountains. We have a map, but no bearings of the area." He glances to the other members of the party, and then back, before revealing the map they were given. "You could say we're a band of explorers, out to find treasures of both historical and monetary value. The place we're looking for is one of the locations marks on this map, we're sure, but there's no telling which it is. Of course, we understand that since it may be a bit of work, asking you to bring us from place to place, without handsome payment, would be out of the question. And so, we are prepared to pay you a sum of fifty gold coins for your troubles - after we arrive at our destination, of course. Does that sound suitable to you?"

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

(Sorry for the delayed reply. Seems any time I had time to post, I couldn't get the site to load right.)

Baelham detects no hidden motives in the half-elf, beyond an obvious desire to earn some coin for what he appears to consider an easy job. "For fifty gold, I might could take you to the Gates of Destruction and back-- if'n I knew where they was at. Still, as that ain't where you're lookin' to head, I think we can come to an agreement sure enough. When you lookin' to leave?" The prospective guide smells heavily of drink, but he appears to be alert and sober despite it.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Quite pleased, Baelham cannot keep himself from smiling - something he is not prone to doing. He almost begins to name a time, but considers the smell of alcohol before speaking. "We'd like to leave tomorrow, somewhat early. Not at the break of dawn, mind you, but early morning - preferably just after breakfasttime. Can you meet us here then?"

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll be here," the fellow replies. "Lessen you'd rather I meet you somewhere else."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

"No, here is perfectly fine." He glances to his companions. "We were just about to sit down to a meal - would you care to join us?"

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Vafra

Vafra will eat with everyone, including the guide. After enjoying a decent meal, she will wait for Loghren to secure himself a room and slip in as usual for a nights rest.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

The guide is quite willing to take up an offer of a free meal, and joins you. After a night broken only by the occasional sound of raucous behavior drifting up from the common room, you find the guide waiting for you in the common room, tucking into a breakfast spread laid out for the party. "You're pickin' up the bill, I trust?"

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Imani

Imani comes down the next morning and when he asks her. She looks at him, "Yes...we are" She sits down across from him and serves herself from the food available. "Do you have your own horse stabled here? Or will you require us to 'buy' you one?" She's working to keep the sarcasm and irony out of her voice, but she isn't quite succeeding.
    Last edited by wxdruid; 2008-03-28 at 12:57 PM.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Baelham

Rubbing his eyes a bit as he comes into the room, Baelham is - as usual - looking a bit weary. He sits himself at the table, looking a bit more lively as he gets a closer look at the assortment of food. "Get down you can quickly - once Alphonse gets up, he'll start stuffing everything he can into his pockets without regard to who's eaten."
    Last edited by Deepblue706; 2008-03-28 at 02:09 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

Loghren

After his usual discussions with Vafra about not sleeping in the bed with him, Loghren settles down for the night. He drags himself awake, stumbling out to face the day, following a couple of steps behind Baelham. "It's true. Grab whatever you want before Alphonse gets it." Loghren grabs a large chunk of bread and a mug of ale, then drops himself into a chair.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Dear Doctor Alphonse

Waking lazily, Alphonse straps on his boots, overlooks his books and heads downstairs. "Morning, friends." He seats himself at the table, and takes a meager portion of food. He looks to no one in particular and speaks aloud, "I must keep my figure, after all".