New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Headquarters IC

Shiela

Shiela is brought out of her musings, and sits up semi-straight, examining the stranger quickly.
    "Can I take a message? I'll talk to him when I next see him."
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eldon

"Please ask him to meet us in the library as soon as possible."

Eldon looks very serious, but the mysterious man nods to Shiela with a small smile and a hint of...amusement, perhaps?...in his dark eyes. The old halfling cleric and the stranger then leave the Common Room in the direction of the library.

3. - Top - End - #123

Default Matthew Estella (Human Illusionist)

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming this is another day now; in the early morning and assuming Shiela looks around a bit and asks Matthew if he's seen Fin. Also assuming a little about Fin which seems in character - but I can change any of this

***Yawn**** Another late night....

Fin? He sleeps back at his family's house and then walks in every morning. He'll be here soon; he's as regular as the hours..... Hey, is that bacon frying?

4. - Top - End - #124

Ana returns, looking more herself. Apparently she composed herself by cooking, because she now serves a very early lunch on the bar of thick slices of round bacon, duck eggs, and two large round loaves of the traditional dark whole grain bread. She takes some crudely carved wooden cups - small bowls, really - and fills them with cold water from a clean well-bucket reserved for drinking.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Zan, little ol' human Cleric

Zan rubbed his forehead to fight off drowsiness, and turned once again to Matthew (assuming he was still nearby).

"Don't... don't take this incorrectly, but why do you take such interest in me anyhow? I'm not used to that."

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not sure, but I've become a bit clueless as to the time of day or night. I do assume that as the time of day changes, Doc notifies us, right?

6. - Top - End - #126

Thanks Ana; you've saved my life again!

Zan, right? Well I guess I'm trying to get to know everyone here. I think it's going to be useful to know a little about everyone.
    And also, Matthew thinks, figure out if any of them are spies But I recognised the symbol of Boccob because I'm a wizard too. That's right, he's the god of magic and Wizards isn't he? So I figured you were another wizard like me. Plus by the way you speak I'd guess you're from the Lake Heart region like me. laughing So I guess that means we must have been almost neighbours!

That last is said as a joke because the Lake Heart region is very large area just in itself, with many powerful and populous city states. However in Bridgeport it seems like every time you say, "I'm from near lake Heart" someone says, "Oh I have a cousin who used to live there", as if you're supposed to reply saying, "Oh sure, well I probably met him then."

Sit down here where the "bar crowd" sits. Closest to the beer, closest to the food, and of course closest to the beatiful Ana, our hostess. .... Oh don't sit there; that's Vlax's seat.

Last edited by DavidByron; 2007-12-29 at 11:35 PM.

7. - Top - End - #127

Default Homelands...

Zan did not respond to the Bridgeport joke as one would normally... in fact, he didn't seem to get it. I might be in the same region that you're talking about... I'm from a small village that is just about as north as one can get without crossing the southern line of Lake Heart." He took a quick sip of his flask before putting it away in a pocket located within his garb. "Also sorry to say that I am not what may be a 'wizard' by definition. I'm a cleric. And... I'm sitting at the bar. I can't get much closer to the liquor and your Ana than that, right? ... Matthew, correct? I may need your help. I'm... trying to get to know others too, but I'm not good at it."

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

Dravick enters the common room in the morning wide awake and hungry. He smells the bacon and heads straight for the scent, pulling up a stool at the bar right next to Matthew. "Ana, could I please have some of that delicious smelling food you are preparing?" He flashes a smile and then looks around the room. He notices the man next to him as if for the first time and says, "Excuse me Matthew, but I just found your face to be familiar. I hadn't noticed it at first, but I think I have seen you somewhere before. Have you by chance been in Bridgeport for long? I think that maybe I have seen you at one of the Taverns that I used to perform at frequently. Or perhaps it is just the way the morning sun is striking my eyes today." He strokes the hair on his chin as he thinks about where he could possibly know this northerner from. He is quite the drinker. It must be from one of my performances...

9. - Top - End - #129

Don't worry about it, Zan. There is a magical spell over the common room that makes people get on well. That's the way it seems anyway. Perhaps it's the whole "comrades in arms" thing. Apart from the Northerners I don't think anyone knew anyone else before they arrived here, but you quickly come to rely on your team. Now my team is the best of course (winks) and we hang out by the bar.

To Dravick:
    Ah but here's an honourary member of the bar scene; Dravick. Zan. He's new. I was just going to try and explain the social scene round here to him because he says he find it hard to get to know people.

To Zan:
    Over there in that far corner, you have the second team which is led by a cleric called Aulric (he's the bald, older guy). Three of them are Northerners and they all knew each other from some war I think. Aulric looks like some sort of old world king from a minstrel's saga. More at home on the battle field than on a throne. And he holds court over there. They are quite a serious lot and they have that Northern way of speaking. You know quite formal and polite sounding. And when they speak Dwarvish it's High Dwarvish like Vlax's, not River Dwarvish like mine.

Spoiler
    Show
    The accent that is -- same language

Now over this side, sort of in the middle is the third team but instead of a king they have two princesses. The eldest is distant, striking and beautiful. She has skin as white as ice and sits enthroned within her own limbs, guarded by her faithful retainers. She doesn't say very much. (If you think you're shy...!!) The younger princess is just as pretty but otherwise the exact opposite. She has hair as red as fire and is full of life. Large and in charge, that's Shiela -- I'm sure you've already met her? Well both of them are pretty much impossible to forget.

Spoiler
    Show
    "enthroned within her own limbs" refers to Iva's habit of sitting on a chair with her feet up sort of cross-legged like she was doing yoga or something

You'll have to imagine some of these people --- this place fills up more towards the evening.

To Dravick:
    I've been through Bridgeport a lot in the past with an act under the stage name of "Abramelin the Mage". So you might have seen that.... smiling or perhaps I just have that kind of face that people think they've seen before?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

Dravick:

"Ah, Abramelin the Mage, so that is you. I now remember where I know you from. You stole a great job from me one night. Well, stole isn't the right word, you earned the job. It was the show you stole that night. I have no ill will towards you though, because the next night I found a better place and I made even more money than I had been previously. I suppose you did me a favor." Dravick flashes a smile and eats some of his food that Ana has delivered.

11. - Top - End - #131

Default Zan, to Dravick.

Zan listened to Dravick's short speech after taking in the scene that Matthew had described to him (with minor difficulty, as he had to stretch his imagination). Shortly thereafter, he decided to share a bit of a proverb with Dravick. "I had heard once, a long time ago from somebody, that dwelling on one's misfortune can only bring years of suffering that a minute's effort could have solved at the source. I'm pleased that you've managed to uncover the fortune in such an event that happened to you."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Vlax stumbles blearily into the room and wobbles over to the bar where he sits down, and promptly flops over the counter, asleep again.

13. - Top - End - #133

Matthew indicates the sleeping pile of Dwarf.
    Have you met Vlax?
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2007-12-30 at 10:49 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Just a quick note. I have added Fins siblings to the contacts/friends aspect of his character sheet. And updated his background to include information about his parents. It isn't a pleasant story!

Fin arrives at the guild with a bit of a scowl on his face, the morning not having been a pleasant one. When he had gotten home last night Drake, his younger brother, was no where to be found. Come morning Drake was thankfully returned; unluckly for Fin it was in the company of two guardsmen with plenty of unpleasant things to say about what Drake had been doing. Luckly one of the Guardsmen had known Fins father, and the families current state, and decided NOT to simply have Drake Arrested when he was caught trying to break into a nobles home the night before. The morning had been filled with yelling, and shouting, Drake showing guilt only over the fact he was caught as he barged out of the house, slamming the door behind him.

Still the walk to the guild-house had cooled Fins temper enough for him to keep a straight head, though the annoyed look wasn't about to leave his face. He walked into the common room giving a light wave, and a nod to those he knew well (Those part of his own group of course, and Ana) "Morning. Ya'll managed to get a full nights sleep after I'd hopes"

15. - Top - End - #135

Yes indeed we did, and if it looks like Vlax is asleep now it's only because he's getting a head start on tomorrow night's sleep.

Oh hey -- someone was looking for you earlier. He's in the library waiting for you with Eldon. Been waiting a good while now actually ... is everything ....?

The look finishes the sentence.
    Last edited by DavidByron; 2007-12-31 at 01:04 AM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Griffon

"Alright?" Fin says, brushing his hair away from his eyes "Can't say that it is. Drake getting himself in trouble again, thinks he's got the world figured out, and spent the morning yelling at him about it" He lets out a quick sigh shaking his head, quickly remembering they don't know who 'drake' is quickly explaining "My little brother thinks he can fix all our problems with somebody else's coin purse, and he's running out a'luck"

Distracted by his own little problem for a few moments Fin remembers Matthews original comment, silently praying it has NOTHING to do with a certain angsty teenager. "... Somebody to see me? Don't suppose the Fellah got a name?"

17. - Top - End - #137

Matthew faithfully repeats all the details he knows -- which is almost nothing.

I got the impression you weren't in trouble, but they appear to want some privacy for whatever it is. Shrugs

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

"He didn't give us a name - said he'd be in the Library, looked kinda amused at the goings-on, but our little Guildmaster was more than a mite nervous about the whole affair.
    They're in the Library."

Shiela explains over her bacon, and quickly returns to the breakfast.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

19. - Top - End - #139

Griffon

A quirked brow was Fins first response, though it was barely visible under his hair. He chuckles to himself "Ah, don't know if I should be worried, or excited now." he gives one quick shrug before moving along "Will have to see what the goings on are then, save a chair for me" With that Fin heads to the library.

Libraries: Quiet, peaceful places. Somewhere Fin might want to spend a lot of time if they didn't remind him of his flaws constantly. He walked in, giving the stranger one quick look over, before looking towards Eldon, standing a we bit more straighter then usual. "Good Morning, Father Highburrow" Got'a be respectful around a holy man right? "Fellahs said someone was here to meet me...." Fin says, glancing a we bit towards the stranger again, assuming that's him.

Well He certainly don't look like someone who's got a complaint about Drake, so this certainly ain't about that bugger this time.
    Last edited by Bribri; 2007-12-31 at 03:09 AM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

Shiela answers fin by placing her boots on the chair across from her and saying something along the lines of "Shout if you need help" in between bites.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

21. - Top - End - #141

Two hours later Fin returns to the Common Room, looking deep in thought, and carrying a leather scroll-case.

(This is what happened in the library, should Fin choose to relate it to the other adventurers.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Eldon meets Fin in the foyer, and before ushering him in to the library, quietly pulls him aside.

Eldon
    "Fin - I have not known you long, but I believe you have a great opportunity here. I trust this man with my life, and I believe you can too. All the same, no matter what decision you make, I request that you and the rest of the guild not make Phalen's visit here public knowledge, and by that I mean don't tell Bruce's wife, because then it will become public knowledge. It could <ahem> cause me some difficulties with my church hierarchy, with whom I am already unpopular."

Before Fin can answer, the two of them walk into the library. Eldon asks Fin to introduce himself to the stranger, and Fin complies. The stranger, upon gives Fin a small smile and stands up to greet him.

Stranger
    "Well met, young Fin."

Something about the way he walks across the library reminds Fin of a panther, placing his feet with precision, but also power, as if he could leap high into the air at any point of his stride. He shakes hands with Fin, and before he releases his gentle grip, Fin feels something... an energy... collecting in his core, then shooting out of his body through his limbs and along his spine. Fin stands there amazed, trying to determine if the sensation was real or imagined, and if the man's handshake had anything to do with it.

The strange man looks to the old halfling. "Ah yes, Eldon, very astute of you, the perfect lump of clay!" (Then, turning back to Fin) "I beg your pardon, lad, you should take that as a compliment. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Phalen. Eldon and I are old friends - we love to argue philosophy!"
    Eldon rolls his eyes, but the corners of his mouth turn upwards slightly. The man known as Phalen continues, "I represent a group known as the Brethren of Gaudeata, an ancient word that roughly translates to mean, "seeking order within." I concur with Eldon's opinion that there is strife and disorder within you, yet you wish it were otherwise. That is what Gaudeata is all about. We are not perfectionists, for perfection is impossible, but we dedicate ourselves to the journey towards perfection. We deem all who seek perfection to be equals, for no man is any closer to attaining perfection than another--all that matters is that they seek."
    "I do not ask you to leave this guild. The Brethren of Gaudeata have no monastery. A warrior can seek perfection in triumph over his foes, just as a hermit can in his fasting and meditation, a father in raising his children, a cleric in his worship, or an artisan in his craft. Now then, Eldon tells me you can read a little. If you are willing, I will show you some beginning exercises which, combined with the study of our philosophy on this scroll, will not only point you in the direction of Gaudeata, but will also teach you the combat skills we have developed to protect ourselves and our interests, which you may find very useful in your present occupation." Again, Phalen displays his small smile...

Spoiler
    Show

The Brethren of Gaudeata are a Lawful Neutral organization, but tend towards Good.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-01-01 at 12:04 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Two hours? Pretty big gap haha, I imagin everyones done eating by then! Likely even gone onto other things. Should be reflected in their posts I hope.

Fin came out with, not so much a stunned expression, but one of thought. Trying to figure out the meaning behind much of what Phalen said. This 'inner order', and 'perfection' stuff didn't make too much sense to Fin right now. The world seemed pretty damn Chaotic to fin at times (particularly with the life he'd been living!) and much of the conversation dealt in areas that simply were new to Fin. The best comparisons Fin could come up with was his how he had to keep his mind in a fight. It was all an odd balance, between watching his opponents feet, and fists, and keeping his own footwork, and jabs in check.

For a second it all seemed to make sense, but then seemed as if it meant nothing. As he approached the others again he remembered The Good Fathers warning about 'gossip'. He neatly tucked the scroll into his jacket 'Can get Jenny to read this out to me at home...'

Fin takes a seat looking to be in a bit of a better mood then he was earlier (having forgotten about Drake for now) saying rather simply "Don't suppose I missed anything?"

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

"Looks like everything went well for you." Shiela said as she was absently mending a hole in one of her tunics.
    "You didn't really miss anything, just some guy talking about some lich and we went and saved the world from aforememntioned Lich, and I'm famous now! Can you believe it? Me! Famous at sixteen!"
    Shiela speaks the last part so that her boredom is clearly apparent through the dry sarcasam.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

24. - Top - End - #144

Zan did look at Vlax, and seemed to take enjoyment in seeing the dwarf, despite the fact he had never met him before. "I suppose that, at some point in time, I would like to meet him." The next few events involving conversation between the others destroyed his attention, and he quietly resumed sipping on his flask... only he was fresh out. He didn't want to seem demanding, so he decided to look about the room for Ana.

25. - Top - End - #145

Ana motions for Zan to help himself behind the bar as she cleans tables.

26. - Top - End - #146

Default Poor, poor ignorant Zan.

Zan nods in courteous approval and walks behind the bar, filling up his flask.
    "Um... Ana? How long have you been working here?"

27. - Top - End - #147

Matthew is trying to track down Elga to ask her about "a question, perhaps, of some delicacy"

28. - Top - End - #148

Default Re: Adventurer's Guild HQ IC

Quote Originally Posted by MK Kilmarnock View Post
    Zan nods in courteous approval and walks behind the bar, filling up his flask.
    "Um... Ana? How long have you been working here?"
    Ana gives Zan her usual response to questions she can not answer with a simple gesture: a flash of a smile, then she whirls away to attend to some business in different part of the room, in this case tending the fireplace.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Kyte

Kyte walks into the Guild Hall with some wariness. He looks around, sees that lunch is being served, and takes a seat at the large table. His stomach growls as he approaches the table, and Kyte digs into the food waiting for him with a hearty appetite.

While eating, he listens in on the conversations around him, and looks around the room at the various people in his company.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen check, if you need one:
    (1d20+4)[7]
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-01-01 at 10:32 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Shiela

As soon as Kyte takes his seat, Shiela visibly perks up.
    "Oh! New Blood! Start talking, New Guy."
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me