New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for Group

I recently stopped reading it after having no clue why they were in the town fighting the elementals. It's only ever been okay, I think the only thing that keeps many people is richard killing things, which is pretty poor

2. - Top - End - #32
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    let me be the first to say pwned
    Wow, guys, did you see how harsh I got PWNED? I'm reeling from the PWNAGE I was just dealt. Capital P. Oh, nevermind; it's more from the idiocy than from a defeat delivered by an argument which invalidates my own.
    Last edited by Natural20; 2008-01-01 at 10:34 PM.

D&D is all about that 5%. Everything else is just filler.

3. - Top - End - #33

I like the comic decently. Caught my interest with the "Slaughter the World" video. Been following it since.

Richard for my part doesn't seem to be a complete and utter Black Mage ripoff. While Black Mage is much more rage-filled and commits his acts more out of self-hatred and general rage, Richard seems to be more light-hearted and jovial at nature, but finding humor in violent acts and other things that are not so much meant to be funny.

I liked Hctib's seemingly extremely fast style of speech. Wonder if he's an arc-specific secondary villain or will he return...
    A well-placed bullet can stop anybody with an oversized sword.
    In real life that is.
    Everywhere else, you're screwed.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Apelord69 View Post
    I recently stopped reading it after having no clue why they were in the town fighting the elementals.
    Because they were hired to. They need to be able to pay for food, equipment and transportation...
    Unless you mean 'why did the elementals attack the town?'

It's only ever been okay, I think the only thing that keeps many people is richard killing things, which is pretty poor
    Not really. If it was just 'Richard Killing Things', then it wouldn't be that popular. Yes, Richard does kill a lot of things, and makes jokes about it, but there are a host of other webcomics out there where you have a crazy party member who enjoys killing things.
    Take a look at what happened with Cale in the story so far. How did he start out? What happened to him? Is the Cale we know now the same Cale?
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2008-01-02 at 10:19 AM.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Because they were hired to. They need to be able to pay for food, equipment and transportation...
    Unless you mean 'why did the elementals attack the town?'

Not really. If it was just 'Richard Killing Things', then it wouldn't be that popular. Yes, Richard does kill a lot of things, and makes jokes about it, but there are a host of other webcomics out there where you have a crazy party member who enjoys killing things.
    Take a look at what happened with Cale in the story so far. How did he start out? What happened to him? Is the Cale we know now the same Cale?
    I don't agree with that. Richard is the primary reason why people read LFG. As I see it, readers can be attracted to a comic by two things: they are drawn by the plot, or by the characters. Though it is by far a universal sentiment, there are those who feel that LFG's plot and transitions are quite weak, and that to them, Richard is the main attraction. So yes, Richard makes LFG popular, and what sets it apart from other characters who perform random killings is because he genuinely makes it amusing as opposed to others who try to mimic it pathetically. This, I feel, is an important point.

About Cale's supposed fall: I don't care one whit about it. This again falls back to Sohmer's inability to make me care about his actors or his story, and I viewed Cale's descent from his moral high ground with the same amount of attention as I give to the plot: very little. After the strip where Cale killed the "little boy" and escaped, we are treated to Emo-Cale. That is a prime example of the jolting transitions which I find so disorienting. The time gap is unexplained, and yes, though it is easy to assume why Cale is so distraught, (and a few panels elaborating on it would've been nice), it doesn't explain where the heck they are, and the plot recap was confusing as anything.
    Last edited by Natural20; 2008-01-02 at 01:26 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Natural20-Why do you complain about FREE ENTERTAINMENT?
    Do you complain that free samples don't taste good? Do you complain about the free entertainment you get from videos? If you do, then you are a serious ingrate, I mean IT IS FREE!
    Doliest's crimes against good taste
    Spoiler
    Show

An Uwe Boll fan, and proud of it. LONG LIVE THE BOLL!

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

Likes FATAL..... No, I'm sorry, but no. Everything else on this list? I like, but while I've done many horrible things in my life, I WILL NOT claim to like FATAL.

Let's Playing Final Fantasy with extreme prejudice

Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    Forgive me, Mr Tolkien. You do not deserve what I now do to you.

7. - Top - End - #37

Quote Originally Posted by doliest View Post
    Natural20-Why do you complain about FREE ENTERTAINMENT?
    Do you complain that free samples don't taste good? Do you complain about the free entertainment you get from videos? If you do, then you are a serious ingrate, I mean IT IS FREE!
    The saying "getting what you paid for" comes to mind. That aside, how does the amount in which I pay in any way affect the merit of said thing which I scrutinize? Yes, I hold opinions about TV shows, about the taste of free samples, and I criticize the occasional webcomic. As long as my complaints are legitimate, I don't see why there are those who see it as a sacrilegious act when I speak my mind on these matters. See, that's why bad webcomics exist. We become complacent about quality because the allure of "free stuff" allows us to ignore many flaws, which, had we had to pay a price to acquire, would have aroused fierce emotions of anger and disappointment.

Out of curiousity, how much would you pay to read "Looking for Group"? Look at it, and ask yourself how much you would pay to continue to follow the adventures of Cale and the gang. The corresponding number should roughly equate the value of the webcomic.

In short, just because it's free, doesn't mean it becomes immune to the assessment of others.
    Last edited by Natural20; 2008-01-02 at 10:54 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Okay, now on a more legitamite arguement-You state people only read LFG for richard....where do you obtain your arguements? Can you show me people who only read for richard or are you pulling this idea out of hammerspace?
    Spoiler
    Show

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

Likes FATAL..... No, I'm sorry, but no. Everything else on this list? I like, but while I've done many horrible things in my life, I WILL NOT claim to like FATAL.

9. - Top - End - #39

Can you show me people who only read for richard
    I can. Me. I only read LFG for Richard. There, you see. We exist.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    I can. Me. I only read LFG for Richard. There, you see. We exist.
    Thank you. I wasn't even going to dignify that last post with a response, because all one has to do is read the previous posts in this thread and one would've found plenty of your elusive breed. Unless you're all from "hammerspace".

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I always though this comic was about the point of view of Richard.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

12. - Top - End - #42

Now on a bit more question-How does that make it a bad comic? Wasn't it one of your previous post that stated the two main things that attract mans to things are the plot & the characters? Certain characters being the main attraction to something is nothing new, there are people who only follow movie series because they like a certain characters.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also a Michael Bay fan.

Likes Jar Jar

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Natural20 View Post
    Out of curiousity, how much would you pay to read "Looking for Group"? Look at it, and ask yourself how much you would pay to continue to follow the adventures of Cale and the gang. The corresponding number should roughly equate the value of the webcomic.
    I need water to live, and a dollar for a liter of bottled water is absolutely ridiculous.

Similarly, I wouldn't pay to see any webcomic, regardless of quality (Even Narbonic!). Why should I? There are hundreds, if not thousands, that are free.

That said, I like the webcomic. I view the stock fantasy plot largely as a backdrop for the interesting character interactions (not just Richard, though he is much better written than Black Mage is) similar to that of a tabletop RP group, and the amusing nerd in-jokes (including the book-based ones I'm pretty sure most people probably don't get).

14. - Top - End - #44

Quote Originally Posted by doliest View Post
    Now on a bit more question-How does that make it a bad comic? Wasn't it one of your previous post that stated the two main things that attract mans to things are the plot & the characters? Certain characters being the main attraction to something is nothing new, there are people who only follow movie series because they like a certain characters.
    A gimmick can only stand on its toes for so long until it falls down. Sure it may get back up on its toes but it is still not enough support. Some people would like substance that can stand on its own.
    Last edited by Raroy; 2008-01-07 at 05:39 PM.

15. - Top - End - #45

I like the comic. Richard does dominate but what else would happen with a character like him. The others have gotten thier moments to shine as well though so there is some balance.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Natural20 View Post
    I don't agree with that. Richard is the primary reason why people read LFG. As I see it, readers can be attracted to a comic by two things: they are drawn by the plot, or by the characters. Though it is by far a universal sentiment, there are those who feel that LFG's plot and transitions are quite weak, and that to them, Richard is the main attraction. So yes, Richard makes LFG popular, and what sets it apart from other characters who perform random killings is because he genuinely makes it amusing as opposed to others who try to mimic it pathetically. This, I feel, is an important point.

About Cale's supposed fall: I don't care one whit about it. This again falls back to Sohmer's inability to make me care about his actors or his story, and I viewed Cale's descent from his moral high ground with the same amount of attention as I give to the plot: very little. After the strip where Cale killed the "little boy" and escaped, we are treated to Emo-Cale. That is a prime example of the jolting transitions which I find so disorienting. The time gap is unexplained, and yes, though it is easy to assume why Cale is so distraught, (and a few panels elaborating on it would've been nice), it doesn't explain where the heck they are, and the plot recap was confusing as anything.
    Richard brought me to the comic, Cale kept me there. His fall is very interesting to me. The last panel of the third book is the best one so far. Granted, the plot could be made less confusing. However, when there is plot, it's great. Sohmer just needs to learn proper pacing. Besides, it could be worse. He could take an entire year (real time) to get through a single night's event (comic time). (Hammer Time)

17. - Top - End - #47
    Firbolg in the Playground

to respond to the whole richard is the only reason to read, I'd like to point out that I(along with a few others who posted here) like cale, his reactions early on to richard made it sweeter, benny questioned his gender multiple times, and some third thing

so yes there are people that like cale.

18. - Top - End - #48

I also have to say I find the plot of LFG confusing and jolting. There's very little character development, and what there is just kind of gets thrown at you.
    I think the art style and humor of LFG is excellent, he just needs to slow down a bit and explain things a bit more.

I do read it, though, but right now it's only for Richard.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think the whole point of the last several months of strips has just been revealed.

Gentlefolk, we have a plot.
    The Evil Midnight Lurker what Lurks at Midnight
    "An object at rest -- CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!!!"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Has anyone seen my Fishy?"

I'm looking forward to the swathe of destruction they are abut to cut! (see previous comic)

I'm still at a loss as to what there isn't to like about this comic. And now I've read the Least I could do archive I actually like it more! (Oh and Ashley > Richard! )

All it really needs is a RSS feed (note: this is someone's cue to post a link to one that I'd missed )
    Avatar by Sneak (a long, long time ago)

What Hayley Said

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

I stopped reading this webcomic sometimes around when they arrived to the dragon lands. The art is good and the jokes are funny when they are not about Richard killing people (which got boring very quickly), but I just find the characters extremely unsympathetic and cannot connect to them in any way (and a connection between the reader and the characters is crucial in a plot-driven story) - the elf is a retard, the tauren is boring and a hypocrite, the troll/orc/whatever she is is an annoying bitch, Richard (the only one whose name I remember, go figure) is sometimes amusing, but usually annoying and shallow - plus, he is pretty much "inspired" by 8-Bit Theater's Black Mage. Which is a much better "crapsack world" webcomic in my book.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

22. - Top - End - #52

Kobold

I read it for Richard and because it's a couple minutes that I can spend reading something light with pretty pictures. On Mondays and Thursdays I'm never going to have anything going on that requires my full attention all the time.

Yes, the plot and characters are weak, but that's pretty much how I view all webcomics in comparison to Order of the Stick. And there aren't many webcomics I can stand to read, anyway. LFG is one of the five I read. (One of which is just starting out in the Arts and Crafts forum called Anti-Heroes. It's good enough that I'm giving it free publicity, just because I can)

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

*Cough*

I'm actually a big fan of Looking for Group and not entirely for Richard either. It's much more so for the good art and the joke-time the other characters get then simply Richard draw me in. I've also had no trouble in following the plot as well and find it invigorating that it's not plainly stated or followed all of the time. Strikes me as more of what would really happen.

On another note, I couldn't give a rat's furry behind about connecting with characters. And this doesn't apply to just LFG either almost anything I read or watch. I watch to see what happens, to see if it's something new, old and re-hashed in a unique way, or just plain bad then to see what happens to the characters. In almost any comic I read I look for that. Characters and such could die left and right and I wouldn't care that it doesn't actually mean anything beyond the fact it happened which is not something I see often. (Dead dead, not 'we're going to reasurreact him once we can' ((Yes I'm looking at you Roy)) )
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Firestar27 View Post
    He could take an entire year (real time) to get through a single night's event (comic time). (Hammer Time)
    What madman could possibly have a story arc go on for that long?

Though, I just noticed something about LFG - the art has not significantly improved, despite having quite a few pages. It started out good and the refinements have been minor. Not typical for an actually drawn webcomic.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

I'm not one to often brag about things, but this...I must.

My girlfriend and I took a trip to Montreal this past weekend. Montreal is the home of Blind Ferret Entertainment (creators of LFG and LICD). Well, we're both big fans, so a quick search through the phone book and a GPS and we found ourselves at the Blind Ferret offices.

We spent an hour chatting with Ryan Sohmer about books, life, and the comics (of course). But at one point I mentioned something about GenCon. Sohmer was curious and asked me more about it. After a bit of info, he calls in Randy and the conversation went something like this.

"Randy, I want to go to GenCon."

"You want a lot of things."

"Yeah, but I want to go to GenCon."

"I'll see what I can do."

Well, yesterday GenCon was officially added to the list of Con appereances by the Blind Ferret crew.

Tell me that's not awesome!!
    Masquerade Indy by Gnomish Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Mustiado View Post
    Still think that was an epic prank, *snip* Kudos, gentlemen.
    I was outzombied by the baby!!

26. - Top - End - #56
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

I just caught all the way up to the end of the comic today (Page 993) I can see where most of you are coming from about the plot and the jokes. How there is too little of one and too much of the other. The start was slow more jokes then anything. What 5 pages just to get Cale'anon introduced completely? I happen to like it all tho. Yeah it was slow, the plot is thin bare but the things some of them do and the ideas of it are good. And you gotta admit somewhere deep in all of us on here we all wish we were Richard sometimes.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

This thread had been dead for almost eight years? If there is only a total of 993 pages, it seems as if the comic must have ended a while ago, too. I don't know, but I know that I gave up on it and stopped reading it quite a few years ago.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Beholder

I've played a lot of World of Warcraft, and I can tell you that I've run across all of these characters! Not them literally, but the very sorts they're representing/parodying.

I like this comic. I can tell that there is more going on than we know. Richard isn't just hanging out with the rest because he's bored. No, he's on a mission of major significance. We just don't know what it is yet.

When I read the comic, I give Richard the voice of Christopher Lloyd. Try it, it's fun!
    "...Look, it's a simple job. Just go down to the docks, book passage on the good ship Harm's Way, set sail for the Isles of Immaculate Doom, pick up the Orb of Despair which is already waiting for you, and bring it back to deliver to that crazy old coot who lives in that creepy old tower in the Swamp of a Thousand Screams. What could possibly go wrong?"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kislath View Post
    I can tell that there is more going on than we know. Richard isn't just hanging out with the rest because he's bored. No, he's on a mission of major significance. We just don't know what it is yet.
    So the comic hasn't changed. I read it for a while, and also posted about it in another discussion on this forum (a more recent one).

The first pages are genuinely funny, even though some things aren't really explained (Richard gives for assumed that all pink elves are evil: if you aren't a WoW player, that doesn't come all that easily.)
    It was also clear that the event flow wasn't very important, and that the characters behaving like they do was the real strong point, exactly as it is in a video game.

Then the comic left video game land, or tried to. The characters stopped being avatars of players and became schizophrenic people. The plot didn't go anywhere, and everything was as anticlimactic as possible. The fight in the capital was the biggest disappointment for me.

Then Sohmer kept giving little hints about the truth behind Richard, and, in the end, that was all there was to it. Everything else was as sloppy as possible. So I stopped reading, although I don't really remember where that was. Even the NPC stories got boring, and their attempt to retcon stuff didn't make much sense anyway.

Sohmer has the record of making three comics I was very interested into for a few years and then stopped reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).