New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Order of the Stick: September I

Quote Originally Posted by RawBearNYC
    your logic is very flawed. I'm assuming you're suggesting that V has a thing for Roy and is jealous of Roy's attraction to Miko. Let's say for the moment that that's true, It's just as likely that V is a gay man, instead of a straight woman.
    Assuming the Giant's elves are very nearly humans in funny suits (like most D&D elves), it's far more likely that V's a straight woman than a gay man, simply because the former are far more common.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Pixie in the Playground

That was absolutely priceless. This has to be one of the funniest strips in a good while (possibly since the last Explosive Runes gag ;D ). V is getting close to a tie for my 2nd favorite character (with Redcloak, behind Roy, whose reaction contributed to the hilarity).
    If you believe that your thoughts originate inside your brain --
    do you also believe that television shows are made inside your television set?

- Warren Ellis

3. - Top - End - #333
    Halfling in the Playground

this made me laugh so hard, my cat freaked out and started hissing at me. Now we just need Banjo again, perhaps more powerful now that he has 50 some followers.
    Back and better than ever.
    Now behold the terror that is a years-old signature
    Spoiler
    Show
    Orthodox Banjoist&&Monkey&&Sith&&Ninja&&Pirate&&Vampire&&Wh at else is there? oh yeah, 10 lbs of PURE SUGAR!&&ALL HAIL BANJO! Join the Church of Banjo today!&&Me loves Thog!

4. - Top - End - #334
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My love for V knows no bounds. I don't think s/he is being particularly petty/jealous when presenting that bill, just 1) annoyed by the delay and 2) horribly offended by the Elf comment, which really was fairly offensive. I mean, if Miko is going to treat V impersonally, as a living weapon rather than a fellow being with a name, I don't see why V shouldn't impersonally bill Miko. (This may have been discussed to death already, but Miko seems to be a low-CHA Paladin build. The poor girl just keeps alienating people.)

The Explosive Runes, OTOH, are a bit petty. Especially since Roy, who doesn't have Evasion, is standing right there.

5. - Top - End - #335
    LordMiritar
    Guest in the Playground

I think V is just as equally mad at Roy as he is at Miko. Think about it, Roy has been her greatest supporter, and I think V feels as though he has been thrown to the sidelines and he may percieve that as Roy's fault.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

That was hilarious.

"This makes even less sense. I don't recall you casting a spell called 'Explosive Ru-'" "NO!"

The best part is that I don't think the one who triggers it is allowed a save. ;D
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Heh...this comic is the best one OOTS I've seen in a long time. In fact, this whole sidequest has been pretty good so far.

My take on the whole V thing? I think V is female. There's just something about the character that implies feminimity. Maybe it's the casual conversation V had with Haley about gemstones, or the way V acted while she/he was polymorphed into a lizard, but V has always seemed female to me. There's not necessarily any attraction to Roy revealed in V's behavoir, (We've seen that in the past, V has always been, if nothing else, professional around all her comrades.) but there does seem to be a bit of malice towards Miko, done very subtly. You don't get that kind of behavoir from men, at least not most men.

On a sidenote, am I the only one who thought that the "that paladin" reference was V's poetic revenge for Miko calling her/him "elf"?
    Eventually I'll return. Eventually.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Winged One
    The best part is that I don't think the one who triggers it is allowed a save. ;D
    They aren't *grin*

Good for V for standing up and not takin err... stuff from that paladin.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

You know, I never really appreciated how much V has something up her/is butt. seriously.. s/he obviously doesn't like something about this... Wonder why she found the other quests worth doing?
    \"For the humble doily is indeed the gateway ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!!\" I am 2631!!!

10. - Top - End - #340
    Bugbear in the Playground

Nope -- I posted(as the last post on the last page) that the "That Paladin" line was the best part of the comic...

I prepared explosive runes today -- the reason why a wizard never forgets his invoice =)

11. - Top - End - #341
    Dwarf in the Playground

Excellent.

I was waiting for

"And sulfur? Bat guano? Vaarsuvius, don't you have a feat that makes it so you can eschew those materials?"

"Its a principle of the thing. While I need not those materials, your standard spellcaster does. Should I be penalized because I cared to pick my feats wisely?"

12. - Top - End - #342

Truly, Vaarsuvius' snark dwarfs that of mere mortals.

I mean, this was even better than Lizard Vaarsuvius.

13. - Top - End - #343

Quote Originally Posted by manscatha
    The Explosive Runes, OTOH, are a bit petty. Especially since Roy, who doesn't have Evasion, is standing right there.
    Well, there's always the possibility that the paper doesn't really contain Explosive Runes or anything else dangerous. V might have written "I prepared Explosive Runes this morning" in perfectly ordinary script, just for the satisfaction of hearing Roy shout "NO!!!"

Actually injuring Miko and Roy would probably weigh on V's conscience, but from her/his grin in the final panel, V seems to have fully enjoyed Roy's moment of panic...

14. - Top - End - #344
    Dwarf in the Playground

Great as always, I especially like V's vote of confidence in Roy's leadership over Miko's. Well other than the explosive runes... ;D

15. - Top - End - #345

Tawkis has got a point. I never thought about it in this way because Roy just seemed unable to lift his jaw of the ground, but Miko has issued a leadership challenge. Not a coup for sure, but the party has something of a choice to make.
    "You would not want to be staring that way at me." -Al Swearengen

"Crush your enemy, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women." -Conan

Let's harvest some kidneys!!

I'm not a magic fan but...:

16. - Top - End - #346

Regarding V being a female and jealous of Miko, you may be on to something. Remember, that V only takes orders from those smarter than itself, and the Mind Flayer went for Roy instead of V. So, perhaps, she admires Roy for being so intelligent? I can just see Roy's grandfather telling him to drop the Paladin and go for that wizard chick.

However, V may dislike taking orders from Miko BECAUSE V only takes orders from those smarter than himself. Also, Roy (Again assuming that V is a female) might not go for V just because V is a wizard to spite his father.

But, either way, hilarious comic.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by drothgery
    Assuming the Giant's elves are very nearly humans in funny suits (like most D&D elves), it's far more likely that V's a straight woman than a gay man, simply because the former are far more common.
    Well...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    That was the joke; too often people assume that dwarves are just short humans, and I wanted to highlight the idea that they have ideals and priorities wholly alien to our own. Dwarves don't have those rights--they are expected to do their duty and die as required by their clan and king, regardless of their personal wishes.
    I suspect that the Giant's elves aren't too near to being just humans in funny suits at all.

Which means, incidentally, that it would be a bit foolish to try to infer Vaarsuvius's gender based on human stereotypes. Frankly, if elven gender roles are even slightly different from human, that would be quite sufficient to account for all of the evidence along those lines, as V hasn't really behaved in ways that are strongly and distinctly masculine or feminine.

Also, I really don't think that V is attracted to Roy in any case.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice how the spell components aren't even included in the bill's total? So they (a) don't need to be kept track of, and thus (b) don't need to be bought, and (c) they just get rounded off in the end anyway. No one involved in the exchange actually need know what components were used or will have to pay for them. But they're still listed... just to make the point. ;D

"It is more the principle of the thing."
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

18. - Top - End - #348

Quote Originally Posted by Rethorn
    Regarding V being a female and jealous of Miko, you may be on to something. Remember, that V only takes orders from those smarter than itself, and the Mind Flayer went for Roy instead of V. So, perhaps, she admires Roy for being so intelligent? I can just see Roy's grandfather telling him to drop the Paladin and go for that wizard chick.

However, V may dislike taking orders from Miko BECAUSE V only takes orders from those smarter than himself. Also, Roy (Again assuming that V is a female) might not go for V just because V is a wizard to spite his father.
    Why does every little thing need an extended theory as this? V is loyal to Roy because he is the leader of the party. He has proven himself a loyal companion and qualified leader, and also he is a more accomplished strategic mind than V is probably.

Also, the Mindflayer thing was just funny.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Pixie in the Playground

Looks like V isn't good or LN at all, TN would probably the best I could do for her at this point.

Oh, great comic Giant.
    Do you believe in magic? \'Cause if you don\'t I\'ll find you and make you!&&&&Micca Ducan: http://www.planetadnd.com/3eprofiler/view.php?id=3711

20. - Top - End - #350

Quote Originally Posted by Raeden

Why does every little thing need an extended theory as this?
    Because its fun? Why does there always be someone who, despite people saying they're doing it for geekery or fun, ask why people are debating V's gender/shadow monsters identity/feats and skills/etc.?

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ogre in the Playground

This is a little late, but I just re-read the previous strip, and I had this hilarious mental picture of a bunch of Dwarves bouncing around to the Gummi Bears theme. ;D
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrMage
    Looks like V isn't good or LN at all, TN would probably the best I could do for her at this point.
    What is unlawful about taking measures against a 3rd party that refuses to pay your invoice? OK pretty extreme measures, but probably more humane than setting the lawyers on Her... ;)

I LOVED this comic. Great job Giant.
    Avatar by Sneak (a long, long time ago)

What Hayley Said

23. - Top - End - #353
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

When you get right down to it, V is really saying, "DON'T take me for granted, DON'T assume I'm going to obey your orders, treat me with RESPECT." Then followed it up with a fairly strong reminder (KABOOM...)

I don't see anything non-good about that. Maybe non-Lawful (but then, I've always seen V as NG anyway).
    save your fears
    for the day
    when our pain is far behind
    on your feet
    come with me
    we are soldiers stand or die

save your fears
    take your place
    save them for the judgement day
    fast and free
    follow me
    time to make the sacrifice
    we rise or fall

24. - Top - End - #354
    Pixie in the Playground

Now what I wonder is if Rich just got his phonebill from GenCon since he thought up this one ;)

(I'm dreading mine...)

25. - Top - End - #355
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog
    When you get right down to it, V is really saying, "DON'T take me for granted, DON'T assume I'm going to obey your orders, treat me with RESPECT." Then followed it up with a fairly strong reminder (KABOOM...)

I don't see anything non-good about that.
    Hypocrisy is not good. And calling someone simple-minded, followed by (after an exchange of escalating insults and slights on both sides) "treat me with RESPECT or I'll blow you up," is hypocrisy.

26. - Top - End - #356

SamuraiGuy

My favourite comic since Belkar's chat with "Mr. Paladin Warhorse" ;D.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm glad I read the comics before my co-workers come in, because there's no way I could explain to them why I was laughing out loud this morning.
    Reminds me of a Black Hands comic (for Knights of the Dinner Table fans), where the cleric started charging for healing the other PCs. Pretty soon the fighter was calculating his fee per hitpoint of damage inflicted, and the rogue was demanding hazard pay. The explosive runes are a nice touch, though. It's like Inspector Gadgets' secret instructions. :)
    Sailors Puzzled by Strange Music at Sea; Choral Reef to Blame

28. - Top - End - #358
    Pixie in the Playground

:D Great comic as always. Anyways, I was just curious if anyone else noticed the fact that V seems to either consider herself of very high level or actually is! 360 gp for a fireball is the standard price of an NPC casting of 12th level, which is almost double what they are supposed to be! Any thoughts (not sure if this is the right thread)?
    Túrin
    Still only a DwarfITP...&&My creations:&&Mîm the Clan-less, my portrait contest submission!&&Luvul

29. - Top - End - #359

Most people thinks that tOotS is around level 12.
    I've just noticed, Miko has the lower body of a male!

30. - Top - End - #360
    Pixie in the Playground

The Giant has stated that they are about 12th level.