New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Order of the Stick: September I

You know, I was sitting here trying to remember some of these rules for DnD.. Completely forgot I've been using a DnD Rules Cyclopedia as a mouse pad.. Poor little cyclopedia.. so abused..

2. - Top - End - #242
    Pixie in the Playground

I liked THAC0 too. Everything's just too intuitive now.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Halfling in the Playground

For some reason I enjoyed the table-based feel of 1e and 2e.

That said, I was around for the Keep on the Borderland days, but I have yet to say "Griffon puckey".

4. - Top - End - #244

Quote Originally Posted by Jades
    Just as a side note, I go to and from school uphill both ways every day. This is because my school is on a (read: several) hills and I go uphill for class, then take a bus trip down hill to get to my second half of the day, and walk back up to my dorm. So, it is possible.
    Ah, thanks for solving that age-old mystery for me. *gives Jades a cookie*

Pokemon Pearl: 5455-5864-6503

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

Glad I could help.

*Looks at the cookie*

This has almonds in it!

*clubs nearest person to death with the poisonous cookie*

6. - Top - End - #246
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eloco RaPido
    When dice came in your choice of blue or blue.
    And came with its own white crayon. I still have my old red box with the crappy dice and crayon in there. Ah the old days...

Quote Originally Posted by Eloco RaPido
    When you had to bring food because they didnt deliver pizza and the only diet soda was Tab.
    Tow Words: Jolt Cola.

We used to pool our money, buy bisquick, pizza suace, salami and peperoni and one whopping huge 24 case of Jolt Cola. Ah the good old days...

Where have the good old days of gaming from Friday after school unitl lat Sunday afternoon (non-stop) gone? These days I'm good to get in a solid four hours of gaming every couple of weeks...

Le Sigh.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercutio01
    I liked THAC0 too. Everything's just too intuitive now.
    THAC0 is Wacko!
    If you're a teen.
    (Dammit what website was that from?)
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My husband is DMing a campaign now and he still uses 2nd edition rules. When I asked him if I could do sneak attacks with my rogue he said "Sure but it is called Move Silently and hide in shadows then attack"
    Look behind you!

Spoiler
    Show
    Made you look

9. - Top - End - #249
    LordMiritar
    Guest in the Playground

Even though I am only seventeen, I have been playing DnD for a little less than ten years (Yes, I started when I was seven, almost eight) and have been playing 2nd edition ever since. Our group just started new characters as our old ones were just to epic (to use a modern term) and had to be retired (to use an old term). But did we start over with 3.5 edition characters? Nope, we're still goin strong with 2e even though now I DM a group of 3.5e from my school. So I get the best of both worlds even if my 2e players look at me weirdly when I say "You find a potion of cure serious wounds."

10. - Top - End - #250

Zombie

Crud.....this thread has made me realize I started gaming almost 30 years ago. Dangish you young kids and your fancy ways.
    Woo, I say woo

11. - Top - End - #251
    Pixie in the Playground

Shoot... you are right... I remember first be intro'd to D&D back in high school... maybe 16 at the time.....I am now 42... so I have played or been aware of it for at least 26 years.... jeepers that means a quarter of a century... jeesh... starting to measure things in scores and decades is for crap

12. - Top - End - #252
    Xander77
    Guest in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The King of Durf

THAC0 is Wacko!
    If you're a teen.
    (Dammit what website was that from?)
    Somethingawful

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2075

My favorite is goodberries.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

*Laugh* To see the avalanche of nostalgia that Lord Giant sparked with his little "Old Timer" comic - too funny - The man's a genius ;D Started 2nd ed when I was 16 myself - half my life ago, actually... But having moved from my hometown, TOotS is all I get now :'( (Though what a fix) Still - my wife is a psychologist and I am working very hard to convince her that D&D would work wonders concerning her skills in getting insight into her patients thinking ;D Wish me luck, people ;)

Ps: For you Europeans around here, I just found out that setting your birthdate up Eurostyle and having it calculated by an American system once in a while makes you a year older ;D
    - It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. Avatar courtesy of Sneak -

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starla
    My husband is DMing a campaign now and he still uses 2nd edition rules. When I asked him if I could do sneak attacks with my rogue he said "Sure but it is called Move Silently and hide in shadows then attack"
    Actually I think he might have used the word "backstab" instead of attack. Or else he is bowdlerizing his language for your dubious benefit. ;)
    The Giant Wrote: I bend the rules when it makes it funny. Accept.

Unrelated to the above:
    I was gone from the forums for seven years, two months and a week. Let's see if I've been reeled back in.

15. - Top - End - #255

Quote Originally Posted by Tanikova
    Shoot... you are right... I remember first be intro'd to D&D back in high school... maybe 16 at the time.....I am now 42... so I have played or been aware of it for at least 26 years.... jeepers that means a quarter of a century... jeesh... starting to measure things in scores and decades is for crap
    I'm 36 and I started when I was around 10 or 11 so I am right there with you. I remeber the first D&D set I bought. It was the blue book with the wizard and fighter facing off against a dragon. Not the Basic set, this one come out before that. It also had module B1, Search of the Unkonwn. It gave you a general description and you had to add monsters and treasures. The good old days. Back when Monty Hall had nothing to do with gaming. ;D
    Lily: What's happening?
    The Doctor: No idea. Do what I do; hold tight and pretend its a plan.

Note to all my players and Game Masters: I am not online Fridays after 3:00 pm EST till Mondays around 7:00 am EST.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nikolai II
    Actually I think he might have used the word "backstab" instead of attack. Or else he is bowdlerizing his language for your dubious benefit.
    Ah, yes, we actually cared about what direction our opponents were facing; rogue could spend the whole fight manouvering for that one perfect shot.
    And our weapons had 'speed factors' to reflect how quickly they could be swung. By the rules, IIRC, a lance was slower than a dagger, so a charging knight could be brought down by a rogue with a stilletto. :)
    At least my GMs never tried to exercise the 'females get a strength penalty' option.
    Sailors Puzzled by Strange Music at Sea; Choral Reef to Blame

17. - Top - End - #257

Yaii!! new comic!

"oh, yeah. Lay it on me, baby."

Sorry, but someone HAD to say it. ;D
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

been waiting for some paladin based jokes...

lay hands, he he he
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

And Miko still doesn't get it... Priceless...

Ack... too much laughter... Can't... form... sentences... proper...
    <link rel="signature" type="text/hilarious" href="/funnysig.txt" />

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

;D I can't decide if it's good or bad that Elan isn't there when Miko makes that offer. Can't you just imagine him deciding to sing a song to give her a +1 to heal? &quot;Lay, lay lay...&quot;
    ;)
    ~Olivine
    ~Better is the Enemy of Done~

21. - Top - End - #261
    Pixie in the Playground

I love the illustration of the dodge bonus.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

&quot;She lobbed it right over the plate, at least take a swing at it!&quot;

Rich, much of a baseball fan? [There have been at least a dozen or so baseball references in the strip over time] Or do you find that baseball terminology just makes for good jokes? Or both?
    "Time and space exist not. There was no past, and there shall be no future. NOW is all. All things that ever were, are, or ever will be, transpire now. Man is forever at the center of what we call time and space. I have gone into yesterday and tomorrow and both were as real as today." R E Howard

23. - Top - End - #263
    Pixie in the Playground

Great strip. Reminds me of the &quot;Paladin of Aphrodite&quot; my fiance plays sometimes.
    Seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses float inconspicuously around the inside of hangar ninety six. I say that they are inconspicuous because it is their arms and legs which demand my attention. I did this, or I could have stopped it.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

As I lay me down to sleep...
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'm probably the only one who thought this. But upon seeing Durkon jumping and dodging, I thought Belkar's line should have been something along the lines of &quot;There's more to you cleric than meets the eye.&quot; [/randomness]

I think Miko's confussion is just because she walked in in the middle of the conversation.

It's still really funny. Heehee.
    Founding member of the Kaylee club. If your relationship with your batteries has been going on for almost a year now, you can join too! Strawberries and Big City Doctors for all!

26. - Top - End - #266
    Pixie in the Playground

I really like how the giant ties jokes together..this was definitely Belkar's page, from the very first panel

THUMP!!...There it is

OMG!!! I barely got past that panel before co-workers were asking me if i was ok from containing all that laughter.

Oh and I like the perspective on the +4 dodge bonus Dwarves get on Ogres. Truley classic Giant Humor, in more ways then one. :)
    23 years on D&D and still learning

27. - Top - End - #267
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GreyRat
    By the rules, IIRC, a lance was slower than a dagger, so a charging knight could be brought down by a rogue with a stilletto. :)
    Except that in a charge, the combatant with the longer weapon attacked first.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!" -- Conan, on what is best in life

"A good plan, executed violently now, is better than a perfect plan next week." -- George S. Patton, Jr.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmmm... Belkar is really going to get it one of these days. and it'll be funny. And that fall from Durkon hurt too.
    \"For the humble doily is indeed the gateway ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER!!\" I am 2631!!!

29. - Top - End - #269
    The_Shadow
    Guest in the Playground

I'm 35, and started at 11 or 12, with the red boxed set.

I have fond memories of Keep on the Borderlands (Bree Yark!), but for some reason, the Silver Princess isn't coming to mind? Someone remind me? (Must be senility setting in. Oh, wait, Int goes up with age, never mind. :)

The new strip is precious. My favorite part is how Durkon falls the moment Belkar *points out* that the last ogre's dead.

EDIT: Oh! And as long as Roy keeps refraining from taking a swing when it goes over the plate, he'll never even get to first base. ;)

30. - Top - End - #270

Roy was right--Durkon isn't a bad warrior provided he remembers his bonuses. And it looks like he is finally getting a better head for them.