New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default The Adventures of Your Avatar

A few days out of port, the ship is thrown off course by a terrible storm, and runs aground on one of the many unknown reefs in the White Sea. The sea vomits many pieces of flotsam on to the beach, including yourselves.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: The Adventures of Your Avatar

[OOC: What ship? Were we all sailing for distant lands, in search of mighty adventure? I guess I'll go with that premise in mind. Is it rainy or sunny? Night or day?

Also, is it alright for me to use a different name than my login name?]

*Cough! Cough!* The sea-soaked explorer tried to empty his lungs of the foamy saltwater that had filled them only seconds before. Then the taste of the saltwater spewing from his lips nauseated his stomach, and he vomited up the rest. Afterwards, his arms failed him and he fell to the sand beside his sickness, weak from his previous ordeal. He reflected on how it had all happened.

The storm had come out of nowhere, taking both the ship and its sailors by suprise. Fierce winds had caught the sails before the sailors could reign them in, and the ship had been blown largely off course, so much so that it had evidently come upon shallow water. As the ship fell, the explorer had been thrown overboard, caught by the waters, and dashed upon the beach of... Wherever he was.

Checking his person, the explorer verified that, while every part of his being was wet, none of his equipment was missing.

That's the good thing about being an explorer, I guess. He thought to himself. Nothing to lose.

Standing up, the explorer tested his legs - they seemed to be fine, after his short rest - and checked his surroundings. Several other people were likewise recovering their bearings - it seemed that he was not the only person who had washed up on the beach. He then turned his gaze inward on the land, away from the sandy beach and watery ocean.

[OOC: Could I get a good description of the area visible from the beach?]
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-01-01 at 09:49 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

A shambling corpse rose slowly from the depths were it had sunk, seaweed still clinging to its unliving flesh. It starts walking along the beach, looking for survivors, either for food or company, until it notices the others, and begins heading toward them, vomiting the water and diverse rubbish that obstructed its throat, so to be able to talk, in case it became neccesary for its survival.

((Eee, a bit short. Oh well, I'll do better next time))
    Last edited by I_am_an_undead; 2008-01-01 at 10:22 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The wizard got up and dusted his cloak. As he did so, he inspected the beach they had stranded upon.
    "Hrmpf" he mumbled. He was extremely moody and seemed to take the ship stranding as a personal offence. As he inspected the other people (or whatever they were) stranded on the island, he suddenly realised his cloak had been more than adequately dusted. He quickly removed his hand, somewhat embarrased.

Suddenly, the wizard spotted something in the sand, and he seemed to cheer up a great deal. He quickly got down on his knees and pulled out his golden, questionmark shaped cane. He rose triumphantly and held the object above his head. He was complete again!
    This day might turn out to be not so bad after all- he thought. But his cheer didn't last long, as he soon noticed that he had gotten sand all over his precious purple cloak again by kneeling down. The wizard grumbled and started dusting it again.
    Avatar by the illustrious Dr. Bath.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

Help me run my very first campaign.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Altharis, Defender of Walruskind!

When the storm hit, Altharis was prepared.

Not prepared by any previous flash of insight, nor prepared by a sheer Cub Scout-like readiness. No.

Altharis was prepared....by biology!

Not his own physical form of course (Gnomes? Swimming?), but that of his trusty walrus sidekick, Jarlsberg.

As soon as the first banks of thunder started to rumble, as if struck by the hammer of the gods themselves, Jarlsberg's sound reception organs perked up. When the first waves began to splash over the deck, Jarlsberg and his master were already out of the rickety boat and swimming next to it, to avoid any wreckage. And when the first bolts of lightning commenced stabbing down from the heavens, like celestial daggers of purifying fire, Jarlsberg.....well, he panicked. But that's natural. Though Altharis did manage to calm him, speaking to him in his walrusy language.

After the storm, Altharis and his walrus friend circled the beach, looking around to see if any survivors had...well...survived, and also getting the lay of the land imprinted onto their salt-wracked brains.

((I'd like a noice description of the greater beach area, if you please.))

Once survivors were found, our heroes wasted no time in speeding over there, to take an inventory and lay on hands flippers.

"Hail, fellow travellers!" Was our gnomish friend's first cry, "Be ye in need of aid?"

And so they listened, ears and sound reception organs generally directed to the four winds, for the sweet sound of any sign of life.
    Attack of the most awesome Ceikatar!!!!!

My stocks:OOTS 40, HNJO 88, GOLD 5.

What do you get when you cross Star Wars, Star Trek, OD&D, and percentile rolls, and jumble it up in a big pot of surrealism? This game right here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Altharis' crown is beautiful in its simplicity, a symbol of understated elegance and a sign that this man is both aware of his power and his responsibilities; the sort of guy Spider-Man would like to have a drink with.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Koga washes up on the beach and at first is groaning. And island full of wild animals, savages, and then suddenly his groan turns into a homer simpson "hmmm!"

Where there's savages, there's young virgins to be gained by impressing the primitives with mudane things..

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Let's see what we have here... a black-hooded guy, probably neither tasty nor very talkitive, but at least he seems to be smart. Some weirdly familiar guy with a weird interogation mark staff-thing. Seems a bit out of it, better leave him alone. Mmmm, bite-size... No, I probably shouldn't eat a gnome. The walrus could make a fine dish though. And then there's... that guy. What is he doing anyway? He looks like he is plotting something. But then again, he seems like the kind of person that is always plotting something. He's skinny, probably gone bad since long. Oh well, it's not polite to eat someone you just met anyway.

The undying creature continued to approach the group, groaning a little as a plank that was lodged in his left leg hindered his movements a bit. He decided that since he wasn't going to eat anyone, he might as well strike a conversation, while hoping that the mortals wouldn't team on him because of the whole "abomination against nature" thing. With that decided, he headed toward the gnome, who seemed to be the most talkitive of them.

"Exx..."

His voice cracked from underuse, but he quickly cleared it, and continued in the most normal manner his decaying windpipe would allow him.

"Excuse mee, but do yo... yooou know..."

This is getting on my nerves. Even though they stopped functioning Come on, you stupid body, do what I tell you to!

"... Where we mig...ht be?"

Getting tired of the plank impeding his movement, he took a time to retire it, and throw it away.
    Last edited by I_am_an_undead; 2008-01-01 at 08:51 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The wizard finally managed cleaning his robes and moved on to different things. He suddenly noticed the zombie lurching around the beach. Now, he wasn't sure of this, as all zombies looked pretty much alike, but it seemed to be the one he had created several years prior and taken along with him in his suitcase. The whole suitcase thing was to prevent embarrasing circumstances such as this, where the daft undead made attempts at casual conversation. Another reason was, off course, to prevent him from dining on people's brains.

He walked over to the gnome and the undead and monitored the conversation, in case things would turn to braineating. Keeping at a distance from the walrus, in case the creature would try to hump his leg, he said "Honestly, I have no idea at all where we are, because the narrator hasn't bothered giving us any description of this place besides the fact that this is beach", shattering the fourth wall completely.
    Last edited by MrEdwardNigma; 2008-01-02 at 06:16 AM.

The essence of a riddle is that it states facts by means of a combination of impossibilities~Aristoteles

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Waking up from something of a sleep, Lars looks around him.

"Funny, I don't remember having beach camping planned today."

Then he remembers about the ship and it's sinking.

"Hm, guess I should be happy that I find myself on a beach instead on the bottom of the ocean. With all this armor on I can swim as well as... our late ship."

He then starts rummaging in the sand and he soon pulls out a sword.

"Luck is still with me. Without my sword I wouldn't feel as good as I do now. But why do I have this feeling that something. or somebody, is missing?"

Right after saying that, his eyes widen and he smacks himself on the forehead. When he starts looking around he notices there are others on the beach, so he steps up to them.

"Well met travelers. My name is Lars, and looks like we're marooned together. I have a question for you. Has any of you perchance saw my traveling companion? She was on the same ship as I and you, but she is a little shy, so I doubt you saw her much. She is nymph that goes by the name of Lania. I would describe her, but I'm pretty sure everybody will know her if they see her."

With that, a little smile appears on Lars's face.

((OOC: Apology for my late reply. I had one prepared yesterday, but FF crashed just before I pushed reply button. And after that I couldn't muster enought will for typing again ))
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

The zombie turned his head toward the wizard has he spoke, and frowned upon realising who he was. He didn't ressent his creator for making him what he was today, as undeath was not nearly as bad as what some people thought, except the craving for brains, which could be of some inconvinience. He didn't ressent the whole suitcase business either, since it was long since his undying body lost the ability to feel unconfortable. But still, the man creeped him out, and when someone managed to creep out an undead, there must be something very wrong with him, right? Maybe not, but one thing the zombie was sure was that if he was to try to put him in a suitcase again, this time, he wouldn't be so accomodating.

T'was then, while the corpse was deep in his thoughts, that yet another survivor made himself known. He seemed even more talkitive than even the gnome, but he was talking mostly to himself. He seemed like a nice guy, a knight of some sort, a... Oh no, a paladin! He did look the part, and paladins typically don't tolerate the presence of undead, or braineating for the matter. Oh well, maybe he wasn't a paladin, only time would tell. Still, he decided to keep an eye on the man, just in case.

11. - Top - End - #11

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    [OOC: What ship? Were we all sailing for distant lands, in search of mighty adventure? I guess I'll go with that premise in mind. Is it rainy or sunny? Night or day?
    It's your choice where you were going.

It's a bright and sunny day.

[OOC: Could I get a good description of the area visible from the beach?]
    Looking inland the beach quickly turns into dense forest.

The main thing you can hear, other than each other, is the sound of birds and insects coming from the forest, louder than anything you'd hear at home.

The beach curves around out of sight in both directions.

12. - Top - End - #12

SwashbucklerGuy

[Also, is it alright for me to use a different name than my login name?]
    Sure, no worries.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

smile Re: The Adventures of Your Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrEdwardNigma View Post
    Keeping at a distance from the walrus, in case the creature would try to hump his leg, he said "Honestly, I have no idea at all where we are, because the narrator hasn't bothered giving us any description of this place besides the fact that this is beach", shattering the fourth wall completely.
    [OOC: LOL! XD

@Mordekai: I understand better than you know exactly how that feels, and you have my sympathy.]

The explorer turns back towards the now-gathering group of people. A quick assessment of them tells him they are, like himself, adventurers, except perhaps for the zombie, which appears to be in conversation with a gnome on a walrus...

Quite an odd bunch... The explorer thinks to himself. But can they handle themselves as they are? I guess I'll find out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Roll to see if I can tell what races and classes everyone is: (1d12)[11]

He walks over to the group and introduces himself with a short bow.

"Hello all. Is everyone alright? It seems we've been stranded alone on this beach, as I don't see any of the ship's crew around... Or most of the ship itself.

"I would normally say that we should simply walk along the beach until we either find signs of civilization, or we circle around, if this is an island, but as I don't think our DM has prepared for that, what say we instead venture into that dark and looming forest, where unspeakable creatures and painful death may await?" He continues, breaking even the shattered remains of the fourth wall.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-01-02 at 06:40 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

SwashbucklerGuy

Hello all. Is everyone alright? It seems we've been stranded alone on this beach, as I don't see any of the ship's crew around... Or the ship itself.
    You can see bits of it.

15. - Top - End - #15

SwashbucklerGuy

Roll to see if I can tell what races and classes everyone is:
    You can all tell what race everyone is without having to roll. There aren't any classes in this system.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2008-01-02 at 11:25 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGirl

I do what I am supposed to do, doing it where I am supposed to do it. I think...

OOC: So, I am not here yet, but I thought I should announce my absence for those that do not check the old thread. I will be here, soon. Or so I hope.
    Last edited by Ichneumon; 2008-01-02 at 12:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Koga looks over, it looks like he's staring blanky over to his right but really he's seeing what Ryuk knows about the living dead.

Spoiler
    Show

"I can't see a name or anything on that ugly slow talking guy's head Koga.. Whatever that thing is, it isn't human.. There are apples on this island right?"

Light attempts to aquaint himself with the people he's stuck with better while trying to remain diplomatic and getout thier full names.

"Well, there's no point in standing around here, we should all introduce ourselves and look for a cave or something for the night.. My name is Yogowhomari Nekoton. What's your full names?"

Ryuk looks over at Koga "That's not your name.. oooooh! A fake one so they cannot use the deathnote against you! Smart boy.. Now find me some apples damnit!"

Expert check to bluff for name:
    (1d12)[11]

Expert check to perusade others to give thier full-names:
    (1d12)[12]

18. - Top - End - #18

SwashbucklerGuy

At that very moment, a strange glow appears in the air, hovering above the beach.

19. - Top - End - #19

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Koga View Post
    Expert check to bluff for name:
    [roll0]

Expert check to perusade others to give thier full-names:
    [roll1]
    OOC: try not to roll yourselves, because I might adjust the difficulty etc.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

[OOC: So should we just say when we're doing a check and what die we would normally use and you'll roll for us? Also, approximately where is the glow in comparison to the group?]

"Hold fast!" The explorer says, turning to face the sudden appearance of light. In the same movement he draws his sword and has it ready, in case the light turned out to be something more malicious than a mere glow in the air. "Identify yourself!" He calls to the glow.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

As the zombie began talking to him, Altharis suddenly realised one very disconcerting thing: The GM hadn't mentioned a jungle before, and hadn't even responded to his statement about scouting around from the ocean and getting a wide-angle view of the beach! And then, before a proper character introducing conversation could even begin, he introduced a new point of the plot! Shock! He had to warn the others before it was too late:

"Everybody! Do not panic! I know exactly what's happening! Calm down! Now, let me explain: Do you notice how the DM hasn't fully described our surroundings in detail?" The fourth wall takes another solid blow. "So we can deduce that it's not an investigative campaign, as those are usually full of detail. And notice how he hasn't given us full time to introduce our characters before starting the plot with a glowing light?" A roundhouse kick to the fourth wall, followed by a series of quick jabs. "Then we can safely say that this will not be a roleplaying-heavy campaign, as those usually drag the opening discussions on for ages. But he is introducing a point of the plot, most likely a combat, at the start, so we can safely say that this will be and action-based, or at least action-filled, game." ....There goes what remained of the fourth wall. "So basically, what I'm saying is: Draw your weapons and roll initiative!"

After that lengthy speech, he draws his sceptre and assumes a defensive stance around the others and Jarlsberg. (Mainly Jarlsberg.)

What do you get when you cross Star Wars, Star Trek, OD&D, and percentile rolls, and jumble it up in a big pot of surrealism? This game right here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Altharis' crown is beautiful in its simplicity, a symbol of understated elegance and a sign that this man is both aware of his power and his responsibilities; the sort of guy Spider-Man would like to have a drink with.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

((OOC: *Small laugh* I think that one went a bit far Maybe we should keep the in-character speech in character from now on.))
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2008-01-02 at 11:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

((OOC: Nevar! No fourth wall shall be left unbroken! Plus, what's a good game if I can't kindly nitpick the execution of it? Perfectionists unite!))
    Last edited by Altharis; 2008-01-02 at 06:34 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

((OOC: I think we need an OOC thread.))

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

The zombie groaned again, visibly annoyed. He prepared to fight, even though his leading theory about the light was that it was the hole in the fourth wall that those fools had certainly peirced. At this rate, they would unravel reality itself and provoke the apocalypse. Hopefully not, but the if they insist so much on derailing the game, who knows.

((OOC: Seriously now, I think this joke is already getting old))

26. - Top - End - #26

SwashbucklerGuy

[OOC: So should we just say when we're doing a check and what die we would normally use and you'll roll for us?
    No, just say what your character is trying to do 'in the story', and I'll decide on difficulty, what dice to use etc.

Also, approximately where is the glow in comparison to the group?]
    a couple of metres away.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2008-01-03 at 03:54 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

SwashbucklerGuy

The glow starts to emit a noise, a little like the humming of bees.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Not the answer I was looking for... The explorer thought to himself, and he held his stance, putting himself between the group and the strange light. I just hope that whatever it is, it isn't malevolent.

"Is anyone a spellcaster?" The explorer asked out loud to those behind him. "Can you cast any spells that could help in this situation? Any non-violent spells?" He added for emphasis.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Finally noticing the zombie, Lars looks at him and point at him with his sword.

"What is this mockery of life doing here? Don't tell me somebody of you is vile necromancer. Zombies, and indeed, all undead are to be destroyed on spot."

Just when he readies himself to cleave the zombie to half he notices the strange glow and noise that is near to them.

"This is strange indeed. Perhaps you are right, we should investigate that. But I'm not very adept in the way of magic. Somebody else should probably do this better then I."

He then turn to zombie.

"I'm keeping my eyes on you, so don't get any ideas."
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Not the answer I was looking for... The explorer thought to himself, and he held his stance, putting himself between the group and the strange light. I just hope that whatever it is, it isn't malevolent.

"Is anyone a spellcaster?" The explorer asked out loud to those behind him. "Can you cast any spells that could help in this situation? Any non-violent spells?" He added for emphasis.
    The wizard sneers.
    "Ha! Non-violent spells? What's the use of that? If you like, I could electrify the glow though..."
    The wizard quickly moves on from this train of thought as the glow i glowy enough already without being jolted by a lightning bolt. Instead, he picks up a pebble and tosses it at the glow.

[OOC: Oh, and I started the whole breaking of the fourth wall thing because it basically suits my character]