New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [Avatar d20 Project] Bending System and Bending Classes - Thread II

Check out the DMG, page...not sure (it's in there, the expanded version). Or here. From medium 1d6 it goes to..oh, 1d8 then 2d6, my bad, but after that I was right. The expanded version in the DMG is where you can extrapolate the continued progression, mostly only useful for monks, as they can get their base medium damage up to 16d8 if you get the right combo of PrCs in there.

Untrained bending: well, I support non-bending, but bending inspired martial arts. It's martial arts inspired by bending inspired by martial arts! Though this can be a simple as a group of already existing feats. And is, really, see OA for details. It has fighting styles, and feats that go with them. Just input desired flavor and you're set! Maybe a tactical feat or four to give an added bonus for taking a bunch of feats letting you replicate bending without bending, or just the fighting style, much in the same way OA did it.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Join the PrC creation contest!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by DonThelonious
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

2. - Top - End - #782

I think it would make the most sense if it increased in damage as better weapons, rather than a bigger person: 1d6 - 2d4 - 1d8 - 1d10 - 1d12 - 2d6, but that could be annoying to set down in a table just for one seed. perhaps we should just leave it at a d6, and only increase damage by 1 point steps, and this extra damage is cold? maybe even start with a d4, depending on how much water you've actually got. like seraph said, this would mainly be a utility, if a waterbender got in a tight spot and needed a weapon and had little water.

and the multi-directional blast, how about Four Winds?
    Last edited by Pirate_King; 2008-06-12 at 12:09 AM.
    --------------------------
    Marten, make a wiggle check
    {[[[(((o((EE[\\
    =================

Gold contributer to the Avatar Project
    Firebender avatar by Shades of Gray

3. - Top - End - #783

Increasing it as better weapons is increasing the dice size, which follows the weapon size guidelines. Unless you create a new determining factor then that's what you should use. Now, 1d6+1d6/5 would be balanced. That gets you a maximum of 7d6 at level 20. Or you could say that it deals blast damage, and have this just add cold damage at a rate of 1d4/5. I like that one. I don't like your increase chart. First off, it gets weaker from 2d4-1d8 (same max, higher min). Secondly, there is so little difference between 1d6 and 2d6 that at that level, it is totally not worth it.
    My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help? Want to see what I've done? Want to see what others have done well? Check it out.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...But you have never given any bad advice as far as I have seen. Not to mention, unlike some other people I see around here, you actually know what your talking about.

Trust dman11235.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Bugbear in the Playground

OK, here's a re-write of Ice Shards (weapon) with the actual weapon size increase values taken into consideration:

A waterbender can create a rough melee weapon by molding a relatively small quantity of water into a large, sharp shard as a full-round action. This weapon deals 1d6 points of piercing damage plus 1d4 points of cold damage and has a critical rating of 20/x2. It counts as a light weapon, can be used in conjunction with any weapon-based feat for which it qualifies, and can be thrown with a range increment of 10 ft. By increasing the base DC by +10, the waterbender can increase the base damage dice of the weapon by one step (max 2d6). If the weapon ever leaves the waterbender’s possession, it begins to melt as normal ice would.
    I don't know how popular or unpopular this will be, but I removed the ability to alter the critical range and multiplier. That implies a degree of control over the shard that I don't think (on a second consideration) is appropriate. Should I put it back?

I think, of all the options, I like Four Winds the best for the new name. I think that the "Point of Origin" application is more useful, and Four Winds points to that application. However, if everyone else likes Serpentine or derivation thereof, I'll use that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eighth_Seraph
    Also, Meph, remember the Sustained Training thing. There's probably a better name for it, but it would eliminate the benders' dependency on skill points for the most basic of their abilities.
    So, the basic idea is that at each level, you give the bender 1 free skill point that can only be allocated to a Bending skill? What do people think of this as a solution?
    Last edited by Mephibosheth; 2008-06-12 at 09:09 AM.
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

5. - Top - End - #785
    Orc in the Playground

Guyr Adamantine approves of all your suggestions, Meph.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Strongarm Warrior: An actually worthwhile Monkey Grip-focused PrC!
    Guyr Adamantine Avatar by Tomb Raven.

6. - Top - End - #786

Quote Originally Posted by Guyr Adamantine View Post
    Guyr Adamantine approves of all your suggestions, Meph.
    As does Seraph. Four Winds is a great name. +10 seems a bit high for a single weapon damage step. How about +5, assuming it goes d6, 2d4, d8, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh Meph-dude
    So, the basic idea is that at each level, you give the bender 1 free skill point that can only be allocated to a Bending skill?
    Pretty much, except that the bender receives four ranks at first level. In other words, if a bender never multiclasses, her bending skill will always be maxed out, for free.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-06-12 at 02:51 PM.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

7. - Top - End - #787

I don't like that skill thing. It's tacky in my mind. If you do that, you might as well just do the class level+wis thing like the Binder that I suggested earlier, and eliminate the possible problems with skill related increases. You could even add in a new feat or two to replace Skill Focus if you wanted to.

Also, I really don't like that damage progression of Ice Shards. It's not worth it. With that small of an increase, you'd have to make it +1 DC. Oh, and it wouldn't go 1d6-2d4-1d8, did you just look at the weapon chart and go down the medium column (cause 2d4 is slightly better than 1d8)? If you increase weapon dice size, it will follow 1d6-1d8-2d6-3d6-4d6-6d6, etc. If you use blast damage, it will be set already. If you create a new system, I suggest +5 DC for +1d6 damage, uncapped for all of them. I know I won't pay +5 DC for an average of +1.5 damage, then MINUS .5 damage for the next +5 DC. Note that +1d6 is still a little weak, as damage dice aren't usually a good source of damage, but the way this goes up you can get a decent amount.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

8. - Top - End - #788

Quote Originally Posted by dman11235 View Post
    Oh, and it wouldn't go 1d6-2d4-1d8, did you just look at the weapon chart and go down the medium column (cause 2d4 is slightly better than 1d8)?
    that's exactly what I did, because it makes the most sense. it would represent the bender making a slightly better weapon (even though my previous arguments state that you can only do so much with a sword made out of ice. I still think it's silly). What in game is actually making it do more damage? is it just bigger? colder? there are clear limits there. Putting it on the blast die doesn't make any sense at all. I say if we keep this clause at all, it should be what meph just put down, with the cap.

I'd be for changing skill to level+wis, but it would involve recalculating a bunch of DC's, and the sustained training is an easy fix for the dead level problem.
    {[[[(((o((EE[\\
    =================

9. - Top - End - #789

I ditto everything P. King said.
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eighth_Seraph View Post
    I ditto everything P. King said.
    Again, I approve, but I dislike removing the skill. Dman calls for the brokennes of skill-boosting items in a non-Canon setting, but I disagree. The only purpose of these items will be to bring the benders on par with the others, just like every class has great items to pick in the list.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #791

Changing it to level+wis wouldn't involve changing very many DCs at ALL, especially if you add in a couple feats that give you a boost to your bending bonus. Or a class feature that gives you a small boost every so often, fills in the dead levels too.

You realize that 2d4 is better damage than 1d8, right? And that the difference in average damage between your max and the original is 3.5, right? Are you honestly going to increase the DC by 25 just for a +3.5 average damage boost? Also, I gave more than just the blast damage suggestion (though I think that one is particularly nice: it gets stronger, it already has a progression we can key it off of, and it doesn't needlessly increase the DC), including one for +1d6/+5 DC. Which gives you +17.5 average damage for +25 DC. Not a meaningless amount. Small, but not meaningless. The other suggestion was the increase in dice size, as Fist of the Forest, Empty Hand Mastery, and Initiate of Draconic Mysteries does for monk unarmed damage. This one is considerably more powerful, as damage dice size increases exponentially. The final suggestion I gave was the dealing blast damage and having the increased DC increase the amount of cold damage it dealt as well.

What is making it do more damage is the better skill you have, thus able to make a better "sword". The dealing blast damage plays off this really nicely. Another thing that makes it deal more damage is it getting colder. Another thing that plays off the blast damage nicely.

EDIT: I'm not calling out the brokenness of competence rings in non-canon, I'm pointing out the various problems with skill based mechanics, most of which apply in canon as well as non-canon, and one of the biggest offenders is only available non-canon. Skill Focus still exists in canon. See my arguments above for details. Also, Truenamers sort of give skill based systems a very bad name.
    Last edited by dman11235; 2008-06-12 at 09:55 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Orc in the Playground

Truenamers depends on the HD of their targets, which grows exponentially as the levels go up. That's what break them.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #793

HD is not the only method of true naming. That is definitely a part of the early level brokeness though. It's one reason that this system isn't blatantly broken. It just doesn't work as well as it could.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

14. - Top - End - #794

Changing it to level+wis wouldn't involve changing very many DCs at ALL, especially if you add in a couple feats that give you a boost to your bending bonus. Or a class feature that gives you a small boost every so often, fills in the dead levels too.
    I'm not completely opposed to this, since it does sound like a possible fix, but I would prefer to keep the Bending ability as a skill for a number of reasons. 1) It's my baby, alright? I have an emotional investment in the Bending skills. *sniff* 2) A skill fits the flavor pretty well, I think. It's something that you can learn the basics of and then improve on your own. Granted, that's what alot of classes are, too; but by keeping the Bending ability as a skill, a multiclassed character can continue to put ranks in the skill without getting new seeds. That seems to fit the flavor of benders rather well. 3) Skills can get things like Circumstance modifiers that seem appropriate for this system, as in things like the full moon for waterbenders or other specific situations. It's less confusing to just take an existing mechanism and apply it rather than make a mirror image of it and have it not be a skill.

Again, I wouldn't mind terribly to change the system to rely on the character's level, but I would much prefer the system as it is now.

You realize that 2d4 is better damage than 1d8, right? And that the difference in average damage between your max and the original is 3.5, right? Are you honestly going to increase the DC by 25 just for a +3.5 average damage boost? Also, I gave more than just the blast damage suggestion (though I think that one is particularly nice: it gets stronger, it already has a progression we can key it off of, and it doesn't needlessly increase the DC), including one for +1d6/+5 DC. Which gives you +17.5 average damage for +25 DC. Not a meaningless amount. Small, but not meaningless. The other suggestion was the increase in dice size, as Fist of the Forest, Empty Hand Mastery, and Initiate of Draconic Mysteries does for monk unarmed damage. This one is considerably more powerful, as damage dice size increases exponentially. The final suggestion I gave was the dealing blast damage and having the increased DC increase the amount of cold damage it dealt as well.

What is making it do more damage is the better skill you have, thus able to make a better "sword". The dealing blast damage plays off this really nicely. Another thing that makes it deal more damage is it getting colder. Another thing that plays off the blast damage nicely.
    But you're missing the entire point, Dman. They're daggers. Made of ice. Maybe even a sword made of ice if your DM approves it. But it's still simple ice being swung and jabbed like melee weapon. At most the ice can do as much damage as a melee weapon would. All of these ways that you're suggesting of making the damage done by the daggers worthwhile is all quite sound mechanically, but doesn't make any sense in terms of the series. The seed makes shards of ice that are held in the hand and used as simple melee weapons, not a magical blade through which the bender channels her power. Thus, they will deal damage as a shard of ice would.

15. - Top - End - #795

Quote Originally Posted by Eighth_Seraph View Post
    ...Bending ability as a skill, a multiclassed character can continue to put ranks in the skill without getting new seeds.
    That's why I suggested the bending level equaling your bending class level+1/2 your other levels. It also solves a problem with the Avatar and multi-classed benders in that the Avatar is no longer skill staved, and multi-class benders are now feasible (non-canon only, of course)

3) Skills can get things like Circumstance modifiers that seem appropriate for this system, as in things like the full moon for waterbenders or other specific situations.
    You can give circumstance bonuses to things other than skills. I'm not sure of any existing ones right now, maybe one for attacks (higher ground maybe?) but they are definitely possible. Keep that in mind.

But you're missing the entire point, Dman. They're daggers. Made of ice. Maybe even a sword made of ice if your DM approves it. But it's still simple ice being swung and jabbed like melee weapon. At most the ice can do as much damage as a melee weapon would. All of these ways that you're suggesting of making the damage done by the daggers worthwhile is all quite sound mechanically, but doesn't make any sense in terms of the series. The seed makes shards of ice that are held in the hand and used as simple melee weapons, not a magical blade through which the bender channels her power. Thus, they will deal damage as a shard of ice would.
    I was assuming that as you gained power, then you'd be able to make better weapons. Though I kind of agree, you shouldn't be able to make better weapons. I mean, you make it, and what, you make it...stronger? That's hardness/HP. Bigger? That's size of weapon. Thicker? That's HP. Colder? That one works. I'm actually more in support of leaving it at 1d6 and having the only damage boost be cold damage than anything else. Though my best suggestions if you want physical damage boosts are the dealing blast damage or the +1d6/+5 DC ones. My preference on that is the deal blast damage. Mainly because you don't channel your power. You make it. You can make it well, so you might be able to gain an attack bonus (in the form of an enhancement bonus, a la Masterwork weapons) but it wouldn't gain in base damage.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

16. - Top - End - #796

I'm opposed to the bending being changed away from a skill. In the playtests and the Avatar d20 campaigns that have been active, a few of which I have been a participant of, there has not been even the slightest hiccup of a problem in the skill system. As the colloquialism goes, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.'

Which brings us to a topic which actually does need some adjustment. I am with dman11235 (I just realized that the 11235 were digits of the Fibonacci sequence and had to include them) when it comes to the damage of the ice shard weapons. 1d6 makes sense as a basic damage which wouldn't really change with level. It's a chunk of ice, and if they don't have the control to change the critical range or multiplier, they probably wouldn't have the capacity to alter it enough to change the damage without making it far too large to wield properly. Remember, it's not as if they have time to make it a large weapon with the proper balance to actually use it, they have to just make a medium-sized shard.

I think that it should be 1d6 20x2 with a 10 ft thrown range. I also think that the cold damage should scale with +1d4 per +10 to the DC. The point isn't to make something that can deal the damage of a blast, nor is it to have something that can do attacks of opportunity (which the whip can do now too). It's to have something that can do a moderate amount of damage and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity to use. And at level 20, according to the chart on page one, the average bender starting with 14 wisdom can hit a DC 42 with a 10, meaning that the average damage would be 1d6+4d4 cold, which is more than reasonable, but doesn't even close to replace the blast.

As for tornado, I've always thought that tornado should be merged into the Cyclone portion of the Stormwinds seed. Moving the tornado around would just be making a form of Stormwinds(Cyclone)+Wind Shaping.

On that note, I think that Wind Shaping should have a clause which it doesn't right now. It should allow for the direction of current winds to be changed and for lasting wind effects to be moved (something which isn't included right now). I also don't think that there is an addendum in there which would allow for cloudshaping, as in the Fortuneteller episode.

What does the playground think?
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

17. - Top - End - #797

If it ain't broke (wait, Firefox recognizes 'ain't'?), don't fix it, but if it will be broke, then pay attention. All my past experiences point towards skill based "casting" mechanisms not working like their supposed to, so that's why I'm leery of this being skill based. And since binders and martial adepts work great, why not take something that DOES work? Though I am willing to trust your experience with this system if it does work.

Yay! You are the second person to announce that they figured it out! That was the entire reason I chose dman11235 as opposed to something else. Just call me dman for short.

I think I like your start on Ice Shards, but I don't see a problem with it being /5 DC on the cold damage. This is trading range for damage IMO. You would add str to damage though, since you are actually wielding it. Your str of...+1. Or +0. Anyways, it's like the Eldritch Blast vs Eldritch Glaive. EG gives up the protection of staying away from battle for an increase in damage output (via more attacks). EB stays viable since it can be used at distance, while EG cannot. One question, do you agree with the crit stuff? I think increasing the crit modifier and threat range would be perfectly acceptable things, since they are a result of the quality of the weapon, unlike base damage.

I'm not sure what I think on the Tornado dilemma. I'll have to go over it again, but as for cloud shaping? Manipulate. Thus it works for both air and water bending, and if you're REALLY good, fire (create heat to cause up drafts and down drafts in the right spots). Maybe Earth if you use earth to for currents to move. Though that's not cloud shaping as a direct result of fire.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

18. - Top - End - #798

That's why I suggested the bending level equaling your bending class level+1/2 your other levels. It also solves a problem with the Avatar and multi-classed benders in that the Avatar is no longer skill staved, and multi-class benders are now feasible (non-canon only, of course)
    now that seraph brings up that you can still add ranks to it when you multiclass, I'm rethinking my stance on it. adding half your other levels is an unnecessary complication. you're just saying this because "sustained training" sounds cheesy? c'mon. it's not a big enough deal to add more math.

I like the sword fix to make it 1d6 + more cold damage for higher DC's. It's enough. blast damage doesn't make sense because higher level water benders aren't better at using a sword made of water, they're better at waterbending, which means they're better at making the sword, but you can only make a sword so good. especially, as I've said before, if it's made of ice. I promise, this is the last I will comment on this seed.

On that note, I think that Wind Shaping should have a clause which it doesn't right now. It should allow for the direction of current winds to be changed and for lasting wind effects to be moved (something which isn't included right now). I also don't think that there is an addendum in there which would allow for cloudshaping, as in the Fortuneteller episode.
    That could part of the full round action, through the sustained gust template?
    Last edited by Pirate_King; 2008-06-13 at 05:47 PM.
    {[[[(((o((EE[\\
    =================

19. - Top - End - #799

The Airbender is unique in that it doesn't really have a clearly defined "manipulate" style seed. Check it out, it's unusual.
    GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

20. - Top - End - #800

IMO Wind Shaping should be general enough. I mean, if not you guys need to add a new seed that all air benders get to cover all of the times Aang just makes small breezes. And the clouds.

Just to be clear, the Sustained Training thing is the bending classes granting a free skill point to put into the correct bending discipline, right?

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

21. - Top - End - #801

Right now all that Wind Shaping can do is push things away from the Airbender and move small things around as Mage Hand. I just think it needs a clause saying it can change wind directions and can move persisting air effects around at a rate consistent with Manipulate, Play with Fire, and Move a Rock.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

22. - Top - End - #802

Push things...as in air?

But I agree, a clause like that would be a very good, yet minor, addition to make it reflect canon more accurately.

In other news, I hate my keyboard.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Orc in the Playground

Push things...as in air?

But I agree, a clause like that would be a very good, yet minor, addition to make it reflect canon more accurately.
    More precise mechanics can only help.
    In other news, I hate my keyboard.
    Amen, brother. Welcome to my world.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #804

Quote Originally Posted by jagadaishio View Post
    I think that it should be 1d6 20x2 with a 10 ft thrown range. I also think that the cold damage should scale with +1d4 per +10 to the DC. The point isn't to make something that can deal the damage of a blast, nor is it to have something that can do attacks of opportunity (which the whip can do now too). It's to have something that can do a moderate amount of damage and doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity to use. And at level 20, according to the chart on page one, the average bender starting with 14 wisdom can hit a DC 42 with a 10, meaning that the average damage would be 1d6+4d4 cold, which is more than reasonable, but doesn't even close to replace the blast.
    Hrm...I guess I'm okay with that. That's borderline, though. The thing is that if we set this precedent, now we've reverted back to the times when we had supernaturally cold ice (The original Heat/Cool could make ice that was super-cold and did extra cold damage). Not necessarily a bad thing, but it feels like a wild card in an already precarious position.

For example, what if a bender makes two daggers on two separate turns that each deal 3d4 cold damage, then makes a third, and decides to launch them using Ice Shards (Ranged)? It passes my common sense test, but would deal 9d4 cold damage, on top of the normal damage. I don't like it. We have no evidence that benders can make supernaturally cold ice, and I'd rather not be the one to set the precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by jagadaishio View Post
    As for tornado, I've always thought that tornado should be merged into the Cyclone portion of the Stormwinds seed. Moving the tornado around would just be making a form of Stormwinds(Cyclone)+Wind Shaping.
    I'm not so sure about this one. The Cyclone function might be a bit of a misnomer, since I'm seeing it as an equivalent to a personalized Wind Wall spell made out of violent wind. It fits the Stormwinds seed well enough, methinks; though it does kind of step on Tornado's toes. I'd rather keep the function where it is, but make it a 5-foot sphere instead of a 40-foot funnel.

25. - Top - End - #805

Wouldn't Ice Shards (ranged) overlap the daggers damage? And if the ice leaves the bender's hands, it acts normally, so after throwing it, common sense would dictate that it starts melting. Also, throwing it would require an attack action.

Though I agree, extra damage is not something necessary to this seed, nor is it a reasonable fighting style addition. The problem is balance though, and if it doesn't increase in damage somehow, it loses its advantage over other seeds (way I see it, this is the seed that makes the WB do damage, as opposed to the constructs the WB makes).

I don't know. I'll have to think about it some more.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

26. - Top - End - #806

It is good to remember, though, that we aren't making a new "weapon" seed, we're just elaborating on the uses of an already fantastically useful seed. Ice shards. Also, what action would it take to maintain one of these weapons? Ice is brittle naturally, and unless it's actually being maintained, it would stand to reason that it would revert to its basic nation.
    ----------
    Fogmere City
    ----------
    Brute
    ----------

27. - Top - End - #807

Well, it wouldn't be TOO hard, so I say swift action each round. Same DC for 5 rounds, then +2 DC for each additional round. Or maybe you can give the seed yet another useful augment, and have it be a move action each round, +5 DC to the seed for swift action, then +5 more for free action on your turn. Lasts for 3 rounds, then +2 or 3 DC for each additional round, spend an extra 5 on the DC at the start to increase the no-increase duration by a round (after the maintaining bit).

Just a couple ideas.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I'm not sure if this is where I should post this, so I'm hoping someone will redirect me if it isn't.

I was wondering about the stat basis for the bending, too. But especially in light of The Firebending Masters, wouldn't it make sense to base firebending on charisma?

After all, it is passion that gives fire its power in the Avatar world, whether that is rage (And a desire to destroy) or love (and a desire to protect).

Firebenders actually create flame, so I wouldn't consider it as much about wisdom (And an understanding of what is) as the other bending disciplines.
    It is about the inner self and what can be created.

For Airbending I would argue for Intelligence, as it is all about finding clever ways to redirect the energy of the attacker- to disperse it.

Earth and water both seem more about wisdom to me. While Fire is offensive, and Air is Defensive, Water and Earth may choose easily what mode to be in and which is best for the occasion.

Thank you for your time. Happy gaming.

29. - Top - End - #809

Well, yeah, but martial arts are always based on perception, or wisdom.

Same thing goes for the others. Though by reasoning and flavor, Earth is con based.

Oh, and fire is offense, water is control, air is mobility (or freedom if you prefer), and earth is defense. It's kind of odd like that (fire and earth are opposites and water and air are opposites). You can add passive to water and aggression to fire, and stability to earth if you wanted, which helps the opposites.

EDIT: Point is, even though it makes sense, it's not always the logical choice.
    Last edited by dman11235; 2008-06-14 at 08:46 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Trust dman11235.

30. - Top - End - #810

*sigh* This is, what, the third time somebody's asked this? The firebending Charisma thing has been considered, but we've decided that keeping the stat basis for the benders as Wisdom makes things easier and fits the show better. It's not a bad idea, Willbe (otherwise it wouldn't have been suggested three times), but we've been through this. Nice to have you with us, by the way! Don't worry about getting shot down if you another idea that you think would work out well.

As for maintaining Ice Shards, I wouldn't bother making any sort of action to maintain the things, rather just stating that as long as the bender holds them, she's maintaining them; just to keep things simple. That being said, a swift action to maintain the shards each round makes sense to me, but it's just more recordkeeping that I'd rather not get mixed up with.
    Last edited by Eighth_Seraph; 2008-06-14 at 08:51 PM.