New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1100
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Avatar d20 Project] Bending System and Bending Classes - Thread II

Perhaps not, but they're not nearly as über-pwntastic as they were in their youth. This happens a lot in martial arts. At any large tournament, there tends to be a bunch of middle-aged men that could apparently tear a brick wall to shreds with their bare hands, and everyone thinks "Wow, so age really doesn't matter!"

Then you see a video of those middle-aged men when they were younger, and you realize that, holy crap, they were freakin' inhuman. I think the system as we have it works out to be more or less true to the real world. If a character puts his level-up ability points into Dex or Con, he'll be able to cope with old age just fine.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

2. - Top - End - #1052

The aging penalties should remain, but longer lifespans should be in order.

As if anyone actually rolls for age at character creation......

But how would explain Kyoshi being so friggin' tall?
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)
    Str 23, Dex 32, Con 30, Int 17, Wis 27, Cha 19
    AC: 33, Claw: +29 Melee (1d2+19)
    Body by Jake Army. Avatar by Kyace.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eighth_Seraph View Post
    Perhaps not, but they're not nearly as über-pwntastic as they were in their youth. This happens a lot in martial arts. At any large tournament, there tends to be a bunch of middle-aged men that could apparently tear a brick wall to shreds with their bare hands, and everyone thinks "Wow, so age really doesn't matter!"

Then you see a video of those middle-aged men when they were younger, and you realize that, holy crap, they were freakin' inhuman. I think the system as we have it works out to be more or less true to the real world. If a character puts his level-up ability points into Dex or Con, he'll be able to cope with old age just fine.
    -3 to Str, Dex and Con would model that well. The difference between 15 and 18 Str is about 200 lbs worth of benchpress. The difference between 12 and 18 (what we currently have) is 340.

Assuming everyone is commoners, going from 18 Con to 15 Con is losing a third of your health. Going from 18 to 12 is about half.

A single point of Str is actually really huge as far as real life modeling goes, and -3 to all your physical stats is still nothing to sneeze at in D&D until epic.

The current aging modifiers are accounting for both potential health and habit, I would argue.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2008-07-31 at 10:34 AM.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eighth_Seraph View Post

Yes, like when Sokka and Piandao were fighting Piandao mentioned how he was less nimble or something due to his old age

The Swashbuckling Jellyfish of Elan's Chaotic Conscience Fanclub

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by felinoel View Post
    Yes, like when Sokka and Piandao were fighting Piandao mentioned how he was less nimble or something due to his old age
    Yeah, but he's still pretty nimble. Especially skating along the ice in the taking back of Ba Sing Se and taking out practically all the soldiers, well disarming them.

6. - Top - End - #1056

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gmmaster42 View Post
    Yeah, but he's still pretty nimble. Especially skating along the ice in the taking back of Ba Sing Se and taking out practically all the soldiers, well disarming them.
    He probably worked to get back the that was dex possibly lost from aging

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

7. - Top - End - #1057

Speaking of which, what advanced class does Piandao and Sokka work with?

I would imagine Sokka would add his intelligence or wisdom bonus to attack or defense, considering that his greatest strength (said Piandao) lay within his ingenuity in combat.

Edit: Can we expand the Firebender's incandecence? Zuko burns a hole through the ice during the seige on the North Pole, but I just thought that A firebender and waterbend could theoretically cooperate; the firebender superheating the water to boiling degree, and the water bender manipulating it. The SRD has damage for being hit by/immersed in boiling water, I believe.
    Last edited by Paragon Badger; 2008-08-02 at 11:13 PM.
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)

8. - Top - End - #1058

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon Badger View Post
    Speaking of which, what advanced class does Piandao and Sokka work with?

I would imagine Sokka would add his intelligence or wisdom bonus to attack or defense, considering that his greatest strength (said Piandao) lay within his ingenuity in combat.
    Well Sokka has two official builds, but I think Piandao didn't mean intelligence during a giant war zone with tons of enemies surrounding you with you in the middle, I think he meant tactical intelligence and creativity, for when you are away from that massive area of baddies and you see a huge bouldar above them you could drop on them, or like in 300, fight where the only entrance is a narrow pathway so the enemies can only get to you in very small numbers which makes them easier to defeat

Sokka's two build's are here
    http://avatar.d20.googlepages.com/sokka

Piandao seems to be a pure fighter, see here
    http://avatar.d20.googlepages.com/piandao

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Pixie in the Playground

( posts in the wrong avatar thread... probably... )

Well im entirely new here..

Ive been trying to run the older Avatar d20 that Wizo's spawned.. My players want something more up to date and this system is the closest.. so im going to read through and find Some things to work on.. :/

10. - Top - End - #1060

HELLO FROM IRELAND.

Anyway, Seraph, I read through the pcs vs monsters (did well) and Dai Li (wow). Out of curiousity, did you include the bonus to Earthbending that dai li affliliation scores wouldve given them? If not, then they obviously dont need them, and it could be superfluous. I may have to edit that in the main hub thread.

Also, HOLY HELL. those three Dai Li were amazing. That tremorsense was sure an issue.I wonder if a fighter (I wonder who) would fair as badly?

Also: I dont think we have rules on this but..Bending underwater? I figure its possible, (seem to remember zuko doing it and creating steaming bubbles but I could be mistaken.) but perhaps with an approprate penalty to bending checks? perhaps a -2, which is on par with the attack roll penalty? If we go that way, I would suggest either a seed for waterbenders and airbenders (perhaps allowing them to share the benefit with others) that would allow for a freedom of movement type effect and eleminates the penalty for a bit, or a feat (which would allow all 4 classes access, but has less fluff-wise sense, seeing as airbenders are all about freedom and movement, and waterbenders are all about water) that eliminates the penalty.
    -Currently Playing-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roan Arathane, Level 4 Human Resourceful Warlord and
    Devis, Level 4 Half-elf Bard in Dame Morbid's Tournament
    Margan Flintfist, Level 1 Dwarven Fighter in Therinn Adventures

-Old Homebrew Projects-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Project Leader: Deity's Order (Currently Stalled)
    Contributer: Avatar d20 (Currently Struggling Back from Dead)
    Contributer: Lords of Creation

11. - Top - End - #1061

Actually, I think that the reason the Dai Le owned with such impunity is that the firebenders wouldn't hurry up and threaten them, the waterbender wouldn't defend anyone, and the earthbender managed to get himself to 9 HP before even taking an action against the Dai Li.

What I learned through this match is that if a bender is not used creatively, he is fodder, and little more. Also, Fire Sweep does quite well as a template. It's a great way to blow your lowest BAB attack. I think it's time that we officially implemented all the suggestions that Meph posted earlier.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

12. - Top - End - #1062

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by String View Post
    Also, HOLY HELL. those three Dai Li were amazing. That tremorsense was sure an issue.I wonder if a fighter (I wonder who) would fair as badly?
    In the game I am running it is canon up to the last couple of episodes with mild changes to that (I had Ozai win so my players can defeat him theirselves), and I made it so things like tremorsense, bloodbending, metalbending, and others like them were only available if you had a good excuse to know of its existance since they were virtually unheard of

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it just me, or do the waterbenders get the better end of the stick when it comes to the Child Of.... Abilites. They get the same bonus to waterbending every month that the firebenders get every hundred years.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

I think that's a typo. The comet should provide a much bigger bonus like +20. It made the firebenders uberpowerful while the full moon was a nice add on for waterbenders in the show.

15. - Top - End - #1065

Quote Originally Posted by Gmmaster42 View Post
    I think that's a typo. The comet should provide a much bigger bonus like +20. It made the firebenders uberpowerful while the full moon was a nice add on for waterbenders in the show.
    I'd have to agree. From the last episodes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ozai has a huge advantage over Aang until he goes all State-y and the Azula vs. Zuko just about cover the entire arena with each blast.

And really, Sozin's Comet should be a plot event where the +20 bonus is to pump up the challenge for an important enemy. It isn't something that should occur every other campaign.
    Paragon Badger (14 HP)

16. - Top - End - #1066

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon Badger View Post
    I'd have to agree. From the last episodes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ozai has a huge advantage over Aang until he goes all State-y and the Azula vs. Zuko just about cover the entire arena with each blast.

And really, Sozin's Comet should be a plot event where the +20 bonus is to pump up the challenge for an important enemy. It isn't something that should occur every other campaign.
    Plus Ozai said it gives you the power of a hundred firebenders or something like that

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

17. - Top - End - #1067

A hundred suns.

18. - Top - End - #1068

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnid View Post
    A hundred suns.
    Ah yes, he said the comet gave the power of a hundred suns

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have torn this thread free of the embrace of the grave in order to ask a question and perhaps return it to a semblence of life. Did sandbending ever get satisfactorily resolved? I recall this being proposed:

I propose the following: We alter the Earthbender class description to allow the use of sand and similar particulate matter, but at a -5 penalty. Then we create a separate list of sandbender forms that serve as “substitution forms.” Most of them would be re-worked waterbender or earthbender forms with a few unique sandbending forms worked in. In order to access this list of “substitution forms,” a character would have to take the Sandbender feat, which would probably look something like this:

Sandbender [General]
    Benefit: You no longer take a -5 penalty to Earthbending checks when attempting to bend sand, dust, or loose soil. Additionally, if you take levels in the Earthbender class, you may select your bending forms from the list of Sandbender forms.
    Normal: Earthbenders take a -5 penalty to Earthbending checks when attempting to bend sand, dust, or loose soil
    But I don't recall if that was ever accepted. But I think it should be, so if it wasn't, I want to put it into action and get started on sandbender forms. I'm not of a mind to leave this alone until we can agree on something.

Edit: Oh, and that Forms Compendium is looking a little abandoned too, as long as we're looking into these things.
    Last edited by Zak Crimsonleaf; 2008-09-20 at 01:20 AM.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished.
    A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.

Samurai, Anachronisms, and Swords
    Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Jomei, Wandering Miner (Now an avatar thanks to Nevitan)

Avatar: The Last Airbender fanfiction:
    Scorched Earth

20. - Top - End - #1070

That seems like the most viable option, since Toph does manage some sandbending and a prestige class doesn't seem to make much sense because it implies a sandbender is necessarily already good at normal earthbending. An Earthbender taking a feat then mostly picking up sandbending seems a lot cleaner to me.
    --------------------------
    Marten, make a wiggle check
    {[[[(((o((EE[\\
    =================

Gold contributer to the Avatar Project
    Firebender avatar by Shades of Gray

21. - Top - End - #1071

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate_King View Post
    That seems like the most viable option, since Toph does manage some sandbending and a prestige class doesn't seem to make much sense because it implies a sandbender is necessarily already good at normal earthbending. An Earthbender taking a feat then mostly picking up sandbending seems a lot cleaner to me.
    Well then that seems to weaken natural sandbenders in my opinion, forcing them to waste a feat to do what they were raised to do...

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

22. - Top - End - #1072

Quote Originally Posted by felinoel View Post
    Well then that seems to weaken natural sandbenders in my opinion, forcing them to waste a feat to do what they were raised to do...
    But what does a feat represent? Special training and/or natural natural aptitude, or lately, heritage. And speaking in the metagame, it's worth a feat to be more versatile.
    --------------------------
    Marten, make a wiggle check
    {[[[(((o((EE[\\
    =================

Gold contributer to the Avatar Project
    Firebender avatar by Shades of Gray

23. - Top - End - #1073

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate_King View Post
    But what does a feat represent? Special training and/or natural natural aptitude, or lately, heritage. And speaking in the metagame, it's worth a feat to be more versatile.
    But still natural sandbenders lose a feat in order to be a natural sandbender, can natural sendbenders easily bend regular earth?

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

24. - Top - End - #1074

Wow, back from the depths!

I've been working on a sandbender "class" that's a refinement of the idea Zak referenced, but kinda sidelined it when the project died down. Essentially, it takes the form of a few substitution levels and a list of forms that replace the standard earthbender forms. A sandbender would take levels in earthbender, taking the sandbender substitution levels where necessary and learning sandbending feats instead of earthbending feats. It may eventually turn into a whole new class, but I haven't progressed that far.
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

25. - Top - End - #1075

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth View Post
    Wow, back from the depths!

I've been working on a sandbender "class" that's a refinement of the idea Zak referenced, but kinda sidelined it when the project died down. Essentially, it takes the form of a few substitution levels and a list of forms that replace the standard earthbender forms. A sandbender would take levels in earthbender, taking the sandbender substitution levels where necessary and learning sandbending feats instead of earthbending feats. It may eventually turn into a whole new class, but I haven't progressed that far.
    Substitution levels of course! My fav substitution levels would definitely have to be for the halfling barbarion, but thats beside the point, good idea, I would like to see how this turns out

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, that was the other thing that was mentioned. It would be most appropriate to include them at Levels 1, 4, 6, 7, 8, 12, and 19, I think. That would replace the Climb speed and Head-On Defense with something more suited to a desert environment. 1st level might be something to consider, unless you consider Earth Blast and Move A Rock to work just as well with sand when you take the feat as with normal earth. I don't know if it would be a good idea to make it a seperate class when it's still earthbending, just of a different variety.
    Lao Tzu
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished.
    A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent upon arriving.

Samurai, Anachronisms, and Swords
    Spoiler
    Show

Builder of the:

Jomei, Wandering Miner (Now an avatar thanks to Nevitan)

Avatar: The Last Airbender fanfiction:
    Scorched Earth

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I'm DMing an Avatar game, and I've got a player who wants to play a Kiyoshi Warrior. Any recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    IN THE WRY DIMNESS OF THE NEAR FUTURE THERE IS MOSTLY WAR BUT ALSO SOMETIMES HUGS
    My Blog Thing

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue 7 View Post
    So, I'm DMing an Avatar game, and I've got a player who wants to play a Kiyoshi Warrior. Any recommendations?
    Rogue with lots of those feats that let you convert Sneak Attack into disabling stuff.

Their Martial Artist + those Chi Immobility feats (though I don't believe theirs can wear armor, while the KW can.)

Alternatively, Warblade.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

29. - Top - End - #1079

Passive Way Monk.
    -Currently Playing-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roan Arathane, Level 4 Human Resourceful Warlord and
    Devis, Level 4 Half-elf Bard in Dame Morbid's Tournament
    Margan Flintfist, Level 1 Dwarven Fighter in Therinn Adventures

-Old Homebrew Projects-
    Spoiler
    Show
    Project Leader: Deity's Order (Currently Stalled)
    Contributer: Avatar d20 (Currently Struggling Back from Dead)
    Contributer: Lords of Creation

30. - Top - End - #1080

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by String View Post
    Passive Way Monk.
    Definitely Passive Way Monk, thats why my build of Sokka has that level in Passive Way Monk, I am mildly sure the passive way was created for them

I like piezzzzz
    Haley likes pirates,
    Why don't you?