New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Deathtrap

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Deathtrap

You all start the same, but separated..

You wake up in a cell, alone and powerless. after quick attempts you figure that there is nothing you can do to escape it.
    You can see that all your equipment is on you, including a ring that is not yours and a blank paper.

You can hear a voice, the voice of the king, saying the following:

"The rules of this game is simple. each one to reach to the finish may leave and gain his freedom, if you first don't succeed, you die.
    However, this is not that easy. only 3 can ever go out.

This maze has two part of it, at the first part you are to locate one of nine keys, once you do you must protect it while going to the gate that you also need to locate, the key allows you to go to the second level with anyone you want to take with you.
    For the second part you must secure three keys and reach the exit, the three keys will allow a single person and all animal companions or such he commands to leave, but none other.

The fun begins with the paper. on this magical paper you can see the face of anyone holding each key, and whether he is a competitor or a part of the maze. the paper will only show his true face, not any mask or deception.
    Whenever anything on the paper changes, he will send you a telepathic message.

The ring on the other end, it makes it so that as long you are in here, you need not eat, sleep, drink or any natural need to survive. also, each time a competitor goes to level 2, or leave the maze it will grant you full regeneration of your health, magic and natural abilities.

Also, each key is capable of unlocking some secret passages, armories, chests full of potions and other useful items.

Best of luck, you will need it to survive the other competitors and the handful of traps and machines waiting to kill you.

By the way, I gave three keys to competitors, so the real fun will begin early."

As you look at the paper you see the following appear onto it: (regulary updated.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Red key: held by a red dragon, competitor.
    Blue key: held by an elf with an arrow tatto, competitor
    Yellow key: held by a golden lizardman, competitor.
    Purple key: held by a shadow dragon, competitor.
    Orange key: held by a creature with black skin and flaming hair, competitor.
    Green key: held by an ent, maze.
    Black key: held by some shadow, competitor.
    White key, held by a human with blue eyes, competitor.
    Rainbow key: held by nothing.

A few minutes later, a trap door opens and you fall down to a room with a single door, you hear a counting by some mechanic voice, once it reaches 84 the door opens. and you hear "LET THE GAMES BEGIN!"
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2008-01-28 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Deathtrap

Phynder

Picking himself up off the ground, he stared at the paper in bewilderment for a moment before he faded from view, thinking to himself,

Well, that's just perfect. I certainly hope I run into just about anything other than either of the dragons down here. How on earth did the king catch, and better yet, convict a dragon of a crime and get it into this gods-forsaken maze?

Spoiler
    Show

Activate Walk Unseen.
    Activate Spider Walk.
    Move Silently - (1d20+5)[21] to the wall and up to the ceiling.
    Activate See the Unseen.
    Activate Entropic Warding.

Equip my shield.

Begin moving out of the cell at half speed moving silently along the ceiling.

Move Silently - (1d20+5)[23]

He began looking for someone to become his new best friend, and the first big ugly strong thing he came across would be his first target.

Spoiler
    Show

First thing that looks somewhat tough, big and dumb, will be targetted by Charm from 60' away on the ceiling.

Spell Failure - (1d100)[41] (5% chance from shield)

DC is will 17, SR applies.

No matter what the outcome, first action directly after activating Charm will be to reactivate Walk Unseen.

Spell Failure - (1d100)[12] (5% chance from shield)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Ulfgar picks himself up off the ground, running a hand through his beard to rid it of tangles. Picking up his axe, he looks around. "Well, not the loveliest place I've seen, but it could be worse. Now, off to find these rings.

Spoiler
    Show
    He sets off to the left, following the outer wall. if the wall takes a turn, he turns, always staying next to the left hand wall
    EX
    -----------------
    .........||..............
    .||.
    .||.............
    .||-------- .

- and | are walls, with ....representing path.

If Ulfgar comes across anyone, he will attempt peaceful negotiations, with the hopes of working together. If attacked, he immediately defends himself

Go Tigers!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Cael

Cael stands and dusts himself off. "Ready for this B?" He speaks to his simian companion who nods and grins. cael picks up a pebble and makes it shine."Go guard the door while I cast a few spells." The ape moves to the door, ready to attack any intruders, while Cael starts a few incantations.

Once ready they step out of the room, and head left with Broddie leading the way.

Spoiler
    Show

Spells cast, in order if interrupted while casting.
    -Light.
    These are shared with companion (share range is 30 feet thanks to the Companion Spellbond feat).
    -Greater mage Armor
    -Barkskin
    -Heart of Earth
    Cast on Broddie:
    -Enhance Familiar

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shadow Dragon

The small dragon eyes the letter left to him, nosing it curiously as he considers the pretty symbols. He looked at the images, not quite sure what they meant. Did this indicate what he was to be doing as his 'punishment'? The guards mentioned in some snide remarks he understood he was to be 'entertainment', perhaps they intended him to fight these beings? Maybe if he did, they would let him out of this exceptionally dark place?

He studies the faces for a moment before taking it in one claw and stuffing the paper into one of his gloves just before letting out a sharp shriek as he plummets down the trap door. Landing flat on the floor, the dragon regains his footing and heads to the door, making little effort to be quiet as he opens it, but taking every precaution to hide himself and his footfalls as he makes his way through the maze.

He wanders aimlessly in search of his prey, taking every single turn that comes upon him until he senses some positive direction of progress to head towards.

Spoiler
    Show
    90% concealment automatically.
    Hide - (1d20+18)[25]
    Move Silently - (11d20+18)[118] Moving at 45ft/round

First thing to come across that requires a check
    Spot - (1d20+15)[27]
    Listen - (1d20+15)[34]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

sorry about the triple posting, I had really bad connection problems back then.

Anyway, waiting for the other player, or until 3 hours form now, whatever comes first.

king of griff:
    Spoiler
    Show

In case it was not clear, you now hold the purple key, you found it on the floor.

BTW-its 1d20, not 11d20.
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2008-01-09 at 01:05 AM.

2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Ansen

Picking him self up and checking the paper, Ansen smiles to himself.

"Well, this should be funny. Now all I have to do is find one of the key holders and we'll see it from there on."

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Undetectable alignment, lasts for 24 hours.

Spell failure - (1d100)[14]

He then wanders out of his cell and starts checking his suorrondings.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OK. things are moving now!

I am now working on moving the maps unto computer format, so you will have records of where you visited before.

Phynder
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moving on the ceiling you quickly note a fork in the way, and someone is coming from one of them, an attempt to charm him fails and he says "not so easy mage!" looking right at you, you disappear from his sight, but he still manages to follow your moves somehow.

Ulfgar
    Spoiler
    Show
    That plan gets you out of problems for awhile, but you are targeted by some blade trap, you might want a reflex roll. DC 15 or take (2d6)[6] points of slashing damage, the trap will fully fold itself back to hidden anyway.

Cael
    Spoiler
    Show
    You move down a strait corridor that forks once, after some walk you hear a voice from behind saying "What do we have here?" but you cant see anyone.

Shadow Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show
    You quickly figure that you are walking in circles, not good. you take some other turn and find yourself standing in front of a very large pit, and there is a purple keyhole 50 feet away in a wall on the other side of that pit.

Ansen
    Spoiler
    Show
    after a quick walk you encounter a man with a silver armor, the one holding the white key. he looks at you with a wierd look as though as he is trying to see something, the he says "another son of darkness I see before me."
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2008-01-09 at 04:45 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Ulfgar

Ulfgar walks through the blades, not bothing to dodge, knowing that he will be fine in a few seconds. He pauses, watching the gashes on his arm slowly go from new wound to month old scar in little more than 6 seconds. Every time his healing works, it still amazes him.

Spoiler
    Show
    The damage heals fully by the start of the next round, so why bother with a save? Ulfgar continues along the wall, keeping an eye out for traps this time.

search: (1d20+10)[13]
    Last edited by ForzaFiori; 2008-01-09 at 06:33 AM.

Go Tigers!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Ansen

A little upset at his spell failing, Ansen walks around and when he encounters one of the competitors with a key, his face splits in a grin. Hearing him speak, se retorts:

"Don't worry, soon you won't be seeing anything but darkness."

Spoiler
    Show
    If I can, I'll use a move action to move next to him, then cast quickened Slay living, using one Rebuke undead from my pool. Fortitude DC 20 or die. If he saves:

Damage - (3d6+12)[27]
    Spell Failure - (1d100)[75]

Also, using Divine spell power to enhance my spell(using one more Rebuke undead attempt):

Turning check - (1d20+6)[22](+1 because of 12 CHA, +2 because of five ranks in Knowledge:Religion and +3 because of feat itself)

Since I won't be seeing the result I'd ask you to do the math for me. If you deem that two free actions are too much for one round I'll just use the quicken spell ability and let go of Divine spell power.

If he survives the spell, follow by the attack with great axe, augmented with my smite ability:

Attack - (1d20+19)[36]
    Damage - (1d12+19)[20]

If he is too far, cast Bull's strength(normal, no quickening) to get +4 to strength for 12 minutes.

Spell Failure - (1d100)[88]

Initiative - (1d20)[10]

Also, if that hit hits, loss of one point of CON.
    Last edited by Mordokai; 2008-01-09 at 06:49 AM.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Ulfgar
    Spoiler
    Show
    this time its is not a trap, but a bunch of undead, you can see them about 60 ft. from you, and a mage is on the other side, striking them with some sort of spell.

Ansen
    Spoiler
    Show
    He takes the spell, and then smiths YOU for 32 damage with his longsword that appeared out of nowhere. (I roll at table so you cant see what he has.)
    As the axe comes down on him he attempts a dodge but fails.
    next round action?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Ansen

Grunting after been hit, Ansen redoubles his attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    After being explained how this stuff works, I'll just take 5 foot step away from him and cast Bull's strenght. And that will be it.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Mordokai; 2008-01-09 at 09:38 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Phynder

He was not necessarily surprised when his charm failed, he was more used to using it to deal with simple townspeople and whatnot, but the man's ability to follow his moves while invisible deemed this one a threat worth dealing with now.

Drawing his mace, he pointed it at the man and unleashed a blast of acidic energy at him.

Spoiler
    Show

Inititative - (1d20+5)[15]

Move Action = Draw mace.
    Standard Action = Eldritch Blast, Vitriolic Blast
    Swift Action = Add additional 1d6 damage via Warlock's Scepter

Ranged Touch Attack - (1d20+15)[25] (Additional +1 if within 30')
    Damage - (10d6)[42] +1 damage if with 30' (6d6 base, +2d6 Chausible of Fell Power, +1d6 Warlock's Scepter, +1d6 attacking from above with Piercer's Cloak)
    Not subject to Spell Resistance, Acid damage.
    Will deal an additional 2d6 damage for the next two rounds.

As he unleashes the blast, he mutters to the man

"Now look what you've gone and made me do."
    Last edited by Diarmuid; 2008-01-09 at 09:23 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling for spell failure from last round, I forgot to do it before.

Spell failure - (1d100)[74]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Ansen
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man smiles, takes a step backwords and puts his hand on his heart, the hand glows with blue for a moment and his wounds disappear.

Phynder
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man looks at you and laugh and he take the ray saying "is this the best you can do?" as his body changes, revealing a werewolf hybrid, then he says "surrender and I might let you live, magescum." as he claws you, dealing 21 damage (yes, he manages to reach you.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Ansen

A little annoyed with his opponent, Ansen smiles back.

"Laught at this, buddy."

Spoiler
    Show
    Five feet back, casting Flame strike, Reflex DC 20 for half a damage.

Damage - (12d6)[44]
    Spell failure - (1d100)[80]
    Last edited by Mordokai; 2008-01-09 at 12:01 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Cael

Cael and his companion stop, trying to pinpoint the voice's source. "Ready yourself friend" he speaks to the ape in a language only they can understand. "Show yourself!" he screams at the darkness, while he begins to cast a spell. Broddie stands next to him, gripping his axe firmly.

Spoiler
    Show

Cael:
    Listen: (1d20+21)[30]
    Spot: (1d20+21)[31]
    Broddie:
    Listen: (1d20+1)[3]
    Spot: (1d20+1)[3]

Using speak with master.
    Casting see invisibility shared with Broddie.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Phynder

With a raise of his eyebrow at the change in his opponent, he spares a glance down at the wound the thing's claw has opened up. With a dismissive shrug, he once again points his mace at the creature and unleashes a blast of acidic energy.

Spoiler
    Show

Standard action = Eldritch Blast, Vitriolic Blast again using scepter to add an additional +1d6 damage.

Ranged Touch - (1d20+15)[23] (+1 within 30')
    Damage - (10d6)[40] (+1 within 30') (Acid Damage, no SR)

As his second blast heads towards his foe, the initial blast continues to eat away at the thing's flesh and bones.

Spoiler
    Show

Continuation Damage - (2d6)[8] (Round 1 of continuous damage)

"If you run away now, I might let you leave with your life."

Intimidate - (1d20+10)[24]

[ooc] For reference purposes, how high us the ceiling here? [/ooc]
    Last edited by Diarmuid; 2008-01-09 at 03:55 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Ulfgar

"Oh yes! I've been longing for a fight! Ulfgar says, moving into the undead, swinging his axe.

Spoiler
    Show

initiative: (1d20+4)[15]

run up to the closest undead(full round action)

next round, when i can do something:
    full attack.
    attack 1: (1d20+18)[33]
    damage 1: (1d10)[5]+(2d6+7)[13]

attack 2: (1d20+13)[30]
    damage 1: (1d10)[8]+[roll2d6+7[/roll]

Last edited by ForzaFiori; 2008-01-09 at 08:22 PM.

Go Tigers!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

rolled damage 2 for you as you screwed it.

Cael
    Spoiler
    Show
    Even WITH the see invisibility spell you can see nothing. are you sure you are using the right spell here?

Ansen
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man dodges the blast with little room for error, but he gets out of it unharmed. then he strikes you with his blade for 12 damage saying "get off my way mongrel!".

Phynder
    Spoiler
    Show
    The creature dodges your ray, but suffers some pain from the next. he attempts to strike you down, but misses all attacks. then he says "Well, this might take awhile."

Ulfgar
    Spoiler
    Show
    The undead ignore you almost fully, but one strikes you for 5 damage, you feel something is wrong when you get hurt but you are not sure what.
    At the next round you brake that undead apart.

[ooc] For reference purposes, the ceiling is about 15 ft. at all places you are in right now.[/ooc]
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2008-01-10 at 07:19 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Ansen

Spoiler
    Show
    [ooc]Unharmed, as in, no damage at all? Jesus, what are you throwing at me here? Paladin12/rogue5, or some similar monstrosity? [/ooc]

Anyway, once again, five feet back nad cast Summon Monster V, choosing to summon medium earth elemental on the other side of the guy so both of us get flanking.

Spell failure - (1d100)[77]

Provided that I managed to cast the spell and that the elemental can attack in the same round

Attack - (1d20+10)[27]
    Damage - (1d8+7)[13]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Ansen
    Spoiler
    Show
    He is using the same build as a well-known character from a well-known webcomic.

In any way, he takes a hit from the elemental, but on his turn he destroy it with a few good slashes.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Cael

"Well that didn't work, do you see anything?" he asks his companion who shakes his head. "Damn, well I think I can do better." Cael once again begins to cast a spell while the ape stands guard.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast listening lorecall shared with Broddie.
    Cale gains +4 to listen, blindsense out to 30 ft. and blindsight out to 15 ft.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Ansen

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking five foot step towards him, full attack with power attack for two points.

Attack 1 - (1d20+13)[20]
    Damage 1 - (1d12+14)[22]

Attack 2 - (1d20+8)[24]
    Damage 2 - (1d12+14)[19]

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Phynder

Dodging out of the way was tricky from the ceiling, but he had managed it. Raising his mace again he did not immediately attack, instead offering an alternative course of action.

"Well, rather than sit here beating on one another and whichever one of us prevails being easy prey for whatever we face next...we could strike an arrangement and work together."

Having said his piece he holds ready to attack should the creature prove unwilling to negotiate.

While he waits, he notes the acid seems to have mostly stopped burning the creature.

Spoiler
    Show

Round 2 of continued Acid damage from original attack: (2d6)[5]

Not sure whether Bluff or Diplomacy would be better used here, as he would consider working with the creature, but likely would break any accord when it became convenient and would expect the same from this thing.

Bluff mod = +13, Diplomacy mod = +5.

Readying the action to attack, if the creature attacks.

Eldritch Blast, Vitriolic Blast, 1 charge from Warlock's Scepter.

Ranged Touch - (1d20+16)[19] (Point Blank bonus accounted for)
    Acid Damage - (10d6+1)[46] (Acid, no SR, Point Blank bonus included)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Cael
    Spoiler
    Show
    you sense him 15 ft. to your right, but you see a wall right next to you.

Ansen
    Spoiler
    Show
    You manage to hit him only with the second strike, then he says "You are no match to me in combat", but horribly misses a chain of slashes.

Phynder
    Spoiler
    Show
    The creature asks you "What do you have in mind mage? Why should I trust you?". and he seems jest as prepared to continue the fight as you are.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Cael

"Well this is odd, I sense whatever it might be behind this wall." He approaches the wall and tries to interact with it. If it is solid he will look for a way around the wall. If none if found he will cast yet another spell.

Spoiler
    Show

If the wall is real, and there is no way around Cael will cast detect magic, and study the area.

28. - Top - End - #28

Shadow Dragon

Not requiring a very long period of thought to put his key and the door together, the Shadow Dragon merely flies across, unlocks and opens the door and walks through. It would make sense that if this were the way out, others would soon head this way. One thought did trouble him about his though.

If this place is to hold its occupants, why do I have the key?

Once past the door, the dragon takes little effort to conceal his movements, but stays wary. He carefully continues exploring, taking every single turn he can and getting as good a sense of the area as possible. He shall need it if he is to make any plans.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen - (1d20+15)[35]
    Spot - (1d20+15)[35]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Hehe, I actually hoped that would happen.

Cael
    Spoiler
    Show
    The moment you touch the wall, your hand goes right into it, like its not there. at the same moment the voice says "damn. it was a good spell." then you notice that an attack is coming at you from below, some glowing purely-magical arms are going out of the earth and attempts to grab you.
    The voice says "My trademark spell, I invented this one."
    42 damage. Ref 15 for half.

Shadow Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show
    the moment you open the door a bridge comes up to replace the hole. on the other side you see a very insane-looking human with a really big hammer. saying "Hello, my name is maxwell, I kill stuff."

30. - Top - End - #30

Shadow Dragon

The dragon jumps back a step, hissing and showing off his sharp teeth in surprise to see someone on the other side of the door addressing him. Not knowing what was said, he merely says "Good-bye." and begins to quickly sink into the stone and disappear.

Now somewhat safe, the dragon panics. Someone had been anticipated his movements, and now he was stuck in a stone. His next move will need to be thought upon, but at least he had the time to do so. This hammer-man will not have the ability to destroy the whole floor in which he resided.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating Ring of Meld into Stone and waiting.
    For reference, the dragon can only speak and understand Draconic.
    Last edited by King_of_GRiffins; 2008-01-10 at 04:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.