New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurers' Guild Team Dingo OOC

Bugger. I want to whack something with an angry Althea. I don't think I'll get as good an opportunity for some time. Ah well. It looks like we're about to finish off this mini-odyssey we've been on for a while.
    Sneak is the artist of my Avatar.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Orc in the Playground

Wow, I obviously have no idea what is going on in this combat. I felt compelled to post because Doc said everyone was waiting on me, so I ended up posting before I'd gotten all the details straight (clearly).

Oh well. I guess I'm up again.
    Setting: The Chimeric City

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the Calvin avatar, as well as the Pandaren:
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Bugbear in the Playground

Doc,
    How far into the weeds do you want us to get with regard to sailing the river galley back to Bridgeport? I think we can do it without having to sleep, since we'll have the current with us (at least once Marko removes the sea anchor). The three men overboard are a concern, but if they want their stuff, they should come back once they see we're not summarily executing their shipmates. I'm inclined to lock most of the oarsmen in the deck cabins, and only keep an absolute minimum on deck (zero preferably). Going down stream we may not even need the sail, and Marko should be able to man the helm himself.

-Daryk

4. - Top - End - #184

Going downstream you should be fine with a man at the rudder and a lookout at the bow. It's not a very big boat. Built for speed mainly, not much cargo capacity. You might need your comrades to help a little bit with the oars when you dock in Bridgeport, but nothing that requires any skill. Marko knows this information because of his experience.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

Since Althea isn't going to be much help for a bit, both some after effects of raging and the rage itself, I'll input what her/my thoughts would be.

I do think we'll need to tie/restrain Finde. He's a fast/tough little bugger and if he has a head start then even Althea won't catch up to him. As for locking up the oarsmen, I think most of them are scared to death of us, so we could make do having two or three out if we need to. Marko can do most of the nautical stuff without much trouble, so I think we're set.

And we have a boat! Which in good conscience I don't think we can entirely steal. But a boat nonetheless.

Out of curiosity, how useful would it be to hire said boat into the Guild itself?

6. - Top - End - #186

Well, being the vessel's master is lying on the river bank with a crossbow bolt through his chest, I'm not sure how much hiring there will be. If he had a will, we'll hear about it when we get back to Bridgeport. And even if there is a will, there's the whole "seized in the course of a kidnapping" card the guild can play.

7. - Top - End - #187

A Review:
    7 oarsmen jumped overboard, including the one that Ulysses scared
    9 healthy oarsmen on deck + 1 healthy oarsman on the bank
    2 wounded oarsmen on deck (one of them is at 0 HP)
    1 dead oarsman
    1 dead helmsman
    2 guard-looking guys and 1 Finde, all unconscious and bleeding, and if you wait any longer to Cure Wounds you won't have to worry about tying them up.

There's rope a-plenty on the ship. Remember to do a Use Rope check if you tie somebody up.

8. - Top - End - #188

7 jumped overboard?! Yikes! Marko's a bit more nervous than previously described, then...

Edit: Shades, I might recommend only using one Cure Minor Wounds on each of the three kidnappers. That will stabilize them, and when they do come around, they'll be disabled. If you bring them up to positive hit points, they'll be functional and dangerous. That leaves the CLW for Althea.
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-05-04 at 04:45 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daryk View Post
    Edit: Shades, I might recommend only using one Cure Minor Wounds on each of the three kidnappers. That will stabilize them, and when they do come around, they'll be disabled. If you bring them up to positive hit points, they'll be functional and dangerous. That leaves the CLW for Althea.
    I concur with this suggestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

10. - Top - End - #190

I think it's still early morning, so we should be able to get back to Bridgeport by dark, or at least before we need to sleep. If the oarsmen who jumped overboard would rather walk back to Bridgeport and negotiate with the watch for their possessions, they can do that.

11. - Top - End - #191

OK people. We've got to decide what to call this darn thing. Boat, ship, river galley, monoreme? I understand "the vessel" is not popular. But what we've got is a watercraft with a single deck, a single sail, and five oars with benches on each side, two oarsmen to each oar. (Well, only twelve oarsmen left now from the original twenty.) I found this stuff on Wikipedia:

The galliot or galiot emerged as a smaller, lighter type of galley. The number of oars or sweeps varied from 10 to 22 per side, the larger ones having twenty-five on each side. It could have one or two masts.

The fusta or fuste (also called foist or galliot) was a narrow, light and fast ship with shallow draft, powered by both oars and sail -– in essence a small galley. It typically had 12 to 18 two-man rowing benches on each side, a single mast with a lateen (triangular) sail, and usually carried two or three guns. The sail was used to cruise and save the rowers’ energy, while the oars propelled the ship in and out of harbor and during combat. The fusta was the favorite ship of the North African corsairs of Salé and the Barbary Coast. Its speed, mobility, capability to move without wind, and its ability to operate in shallow water made it an ideal vessel for war and piracy.
    Vote for your favorite name for "the vessel" here! Also vote if it is a boat or a ship! Then Marko and Althea and "The Nose" can argue about it IC

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

It's clearly a longboat. Plain and simple.

And I think it is a boat, rather than a ship. In my mind at least, a ship is sea-going vessel, whereas this is not. Of course, it's a silly semantic distinction, and I don't think it matters all that much if we call it a boat or a ship. I'm sure there are plenty of languages where the distinction doesn't even exist.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

13. - Top - End - #193

I guess my original consternation as to what to call it came from trying to force it to fit into one of the categories in the 3.0 DMG pp. 150-151. It actually falls in somewhere between the descriptions of a LONGSHIP and a KEELBOAT, so I suppose LONGBOAT would be a good term.

I wouldn't say it's not a sea-going vessel, as both longships and keelboats "can make sea voyages," but I suppose I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable if I were in this boat out of sight of land and the wind was picking up!

Didn't mean to omit Omoris, Ulysses, and Durx when I said this:
    Then Marko and Althea and "The Nose" can argue about it IC.
    For some reason I was thinking Althea had some sort of nautical backstory, but maybe that's Shiela... hm, I don't see it on either of their character sheets. Oh well.

14. - Top - End - #194

Curiously enough, longboats are smaller than either keelboats or longships: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longboat.

As described, I think the vessel has five two-man rowing benches on each side, which is smaller than either the galliot or fuste. Under the "Norfolk Wherry" article, there's mention of a "Norfolk Keel", which sounds about right, but also mightily like a keelboat. If you wanted to go beyond "keelboat", make it something between keelboat and longship, call it a "Bridgeport Keel":
    75 feet long, 20 foot beam, clinker built, 10 oars ("sweeps") with room for two to row, one square-rigged mast, a crew of 21-25, fore and aft cabins, cargo capacity 50 tons, capable of making sea voyages, and a speed of 2 miles per hour under oar or sail. Cost: 5,000 gp.

Oh, and call it a "ship"...
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-05-09 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Added the bit about sea voyages.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher Doc View Post
    For some reason I was thinking Althea had some sort of nautical backstory, but maybe that's Shiela... hm, I don't see it on either of their character sheets. Oh well.
    Ah yes, Althea. The girl dressed in furs who basically walked from the mountains to Bridgeport and barely knows what an oar is. Surprisingly studious sailer there.

Either way, fun times no matter what. I think we need a name for our boat as well. Like Finde's Folly or something.

16. - Top - End - #196

The miles per hour thing gets me. I think I'm trying to be too mathematical about this. Because when I read in DMG that a boat or ship's speed is 2 mph, then I have them going upriver against a 3 mph current, does that mean it's impossible for them to go upriver? I probably just need to not worry about it so much. Thanks for the stats, by the way, Daryk.

I guess for continuity's sake I'll continue calling it a small galley, mainly to help with the description of its shape, rather than its size. It's basically a miniature galley/galliot. It's statistics are closer to that of keelboat, but keelboat gives me the impression/flavor of a broader boat in which the oars are secondary to the sail for propulsion - I want this to be a narrow boat with the oars as primary propulsion, and galley gives it the medieval Mediterranean feel I want, rather than the Nordic connotations with longship.

Also for narration I'll call it a boat, but I like the idea of our sailor Marko always correcting the less nautical members of the party, insisting that it's a ship!
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-05-10 at 05:58 AM.

17. - Top - End - #197

Doc, I don't have Stormwrack, but I suspect the solution to your dilemma is in there somewhere. As far as working against the current, the 2 mph per thing was listed like the keelboat and longship entries in the 3.5 PHB, i.e. oars OR sail. The vessel was going up stream under oars AND sail, though I wouldn't object if you upped the speed to 3 mph like a longship (as the argument then becomes 3 mph sail plus 3 mph rowing less 3 mph current). And if you really want to do away with the Nordic feel, drop the clinker built part of the description. That's Nordic all the way. And give it a lateen rig vice a square sail. As far as a name, if this English-Croatian dictionary I found is correct, "galija" could work, perhaps with a diminutive suffix.

Incidentally, if we look beyond Wikipedia, galliot may just fit (though it's a French word): http://books.google.com/books?id=JKY...9dyV4Fe8&hl=en

And in answer to your much earlier question about the area on top of the fore cabin (vice the "poop deck" above the after cabin), that would be the focsle.

18. - Top - End - #198

Focsle = Forecastle, right? Perfect. Is there another term for poop deck? Aftcastle?

I agree, Lateen rig is more of what I'm looking for than a square sail. (after I looked up what it meant).

2-3mph with oars plus 2-3mph with sail sounds good, as this boat/ship is built for speed.

And looking up clinker v. carvel I don't think I'll even worry about that distinction. Marko can talk about it if he likes. The same with any other small details.

Perhaps someone would even like to do some artwork of the Adventurer's Guild naval assets.

'Twould be nice if Ulysses would post soon, but no need for other folks to wait on him. Let's try to get a quick consensus on where to go next, Khorinis or Bridgeport.

My impression of Durx' healing the two horsemen and Finde was that you wanted them stable but not fit to fight again, so you can assume they're disabled, as well as bound and gagged.

19. - Top - End - #199

Foclse was derived from forecastle, yes. If you don't like poop deck (from the French 'poupe' or stern), you could say stern deck or quarterdeck (though the latter wouldn't be completely accurate).

As far as Khorinis vs. Bridgeport, I don't think there were any votes in favor of Khorinis until after we go to Bridgeport (or at least that's what I was trying to have Marko convey).

I'll see what I can do in the way of a sketch. I'll be working with 75' long by 20' beam with rounded bow and stern, one mast, a shallow draft, and five two-man benches on each side for the oars.

20. - Top - End - #200

I don't know if the bow should be rounded or square. I know we said there was a rudder, rather than steering with an oar. Perhaps something like this:

http://members.fortunecity.com/agree...col/GALLEY.gif

But shorter, oars as you described, only one mast, with small bow and stern decks.

21. - Top - End - #201

I believe you also said there was a tiller vice a wheel, correct?

I'll figure something out for the bow, but at the very least, the fore cabin has to be big enough to sleep the crew in inclement weather and the two aforementioned horses.

Shorter... hmmm.... 65' perhaps?

22. - Top - End - #202

I've uploaded a draft sketch of the ship into the photobucket account. When I tried to log in, it forced me to change the password, so it's now "bonecrusher2". DB, please make a note on the data page. The ovals in the fore cabin are places to hang triple stacks of hammocks (when there aren't any horses up there). I squeezed it all in to 65', but it was tight, especially for the crew. The binnacle back aft is essentially a compass mounted to protect it from the weather in a position where the helmsman can read it.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j.../DingoShip.jpg

Edit: Oops... forgot to mention the cargo doors. The heavier lines on the bulkheads bounding the fore and aft cabins are meant to represent sliding doors. The aft cargo section door will open to a maximum of 5', while opening both halves of the forward door will yield a 10' opening. Additionally, the port sliding door forward has a smaller regular door mounted in it for pedestrian use. If Doc wants, we could mount a similar door in the aft cargo door as well.
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-05-10 at 12:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203

For those not following other threads you might want to check this out:

There's a big "explain the plot and decide what to do" meeting here in the HQ 2 IC thread. It takes place in the guild house library once all the teams are back at the guild house.

24. - Top - End - #204

Default boat stuff

Ooh, I dig the ship schematics.

I believe I actually had the two horses and the two horsemen in the aft cabin and Kata in the bow cabin.

Horses are not standard cargo on this craft, so we could have the aft cabin all one compartment that typically has cargo stacked in part of it and the skipper's quarters as you already drew it. Just simpler, with only the one door to the deck.

The crew can stretch tarpaulins across the benches to sleep under in bad weather, similar to how the dwarves pitch tents on their log rafts. This boat doesn't really do multi-day trips across the ocean, and it needs all the cargo space it can get, so there's really no room to put the crew in the cabins - even with hammocks stacked three high, there's no room to put standard equipment, like the ropes and lanterns and blankets I mentioned.

You are correct, the ship has a tiller, not a wheel.

25. - Top - End - #205

D'oh! You're right... I swapped fore and aft with the horses. I think you're saying to remove the galley and the bulkhead between what used to be the galley and the cargo space, right? If that's the case, I'll duplicate the arrangement forward with double cargo doors and a pedestrian door built in to one of them. I'll leave a crew's head in a corner of the fore cabin, behind a curtain.

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by Daryk View Post
    D'oh! You're right... I swapped fore and aft with the horses. I think you're saying to remove the galley and the bulkhead between what used to be the galley and the cargo space, right? If that's the case, I'll duplicate the arrangement forward with double cargo doors and a pedestrian door built in to one of them. I'll leave a crew's head in a corner of the fore cabin, behind a curtain.
    Yeah, sounds great. This is a wicked cool boat. The suggestion for a name sounds good - the characters should come up with a name for it IC, although I hate when the thread slows down when characters try to come to a consensus on something. Maybe we should decide on the name OOC first before a character names the boat IC.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Firbolg in the Playground

Actually, if people were going to name it IC, and argue over it. I'd take paper, write "A Bloody Waste of Time" on it and stick it to the boat, explaining "Where I come from, time is precious, we can't waste it on naming a boat"... I could so see Durx doing that.

28. - Top - End - #208

I'm working on a post getting us underway back to Bridgeport (with a last chance for the ones who jumped overboard to come back). Unless there's some objection, I'll post it when I finish it up in the next few minutes.

As far as a name, Marko would go for "Sampo", the talisman of good luck in his god's "possession" (it was broken up and scattered at sea in Finnish (read: "gnomish") mythology.

29. - Top - End - #209

Roger Shades, I guess there are better things to do than name the boat.

Not to railroad people here, but a few suggestions for anyone wondering what their character could do next:

1) Do something with the bodies
    2) Do something with the oarsmen (tell them what to do)
    3) Do something with the weapons on deck
    4) Do something with Finde and the two horsemen
    5) Get the boat on its way to Bridgeport

30. - Top - End - #210

Not trying to railroad either, but here's what Marko has suggested on the various points so far:

1) Take them back to Bridgeport for proper burial.
    2) Um, working on that in the post I'm drafting (to the tune of "make ready to get underway").
    3) Keep them out of the oarsmen's hands.
    4) Ok, got me there.
    5) One post doing that, coming right up.