New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Homecomings

1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Homecomings

As Aldamir dropped his coins in his pouch, he held back a single gold piece. Pushing it at the serving girl, he said, "Put your eyes back in your head, girl. Nothing to see here. I'll take mistavan if you have it, naught if you don't. Keep the gold either way." He winked at her, but it came off as more of a scowl. His attempt was further ruined by Roac poking his head out from under his cloak and croaking, "And a glass for me, too, eh?"
    "No, none for the raven," Aldamir said firmly.
    "But Master! I've been dry for a week!"
    "No."
    "But-"
    "NO. Absolutely not. You are not flying drunk again. And the singing..."
    "But-"
    "One more word out of you, and it's back in the pack."
    The raven seemed to think better of arguing further, and retreated back under his master's cloak, grumbling to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    By "mistavan", I mean a clear elvish liquor, essentially high quality vodka.
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-01-19 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Corrected cash.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dvurr

"Me? Young?" Dvurr looks genuinely confused. A split second later, he continues, "Aye... I see a great opportunity in this man who wishes to pay so handsomely... I simply want not overstep the bounds that he has presented to us. A tragedy, t'would be, if the man decided we demanded too much. I'm a dwarf of little means; perhaps it would be best if one of us more experienced in such negotiations were to raise the subject" Dvurr says as he looks around the table.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Do we not have a high CHA character?

Nas and Bram, have you posted your character sheets? I can't find them. I guess a more important question is if you plan to post them.
    I am of those who subjectively prefer the style of Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5 as opposed to 4.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about the lack of posting here, the site's been non-responsive for me ALL day long.

No, I tend not to actually post my cs on the boards unless directed to do so by the DM.

Also, from my count, there are 7 active party members.. 10 plat doesn't exactly split that evenly... by my math we each get 1 platinum piece, 4 gp, and there will be 2gp as remainder laying on the table. if you took money, please edit your posts for the correct amount.

Also, to make that split work I need ONE person to convert 10g in their character sheet into 1 platinum, so that we can do that whole exact change thing. (I swapped the other two myself, so that on the table before we actually split there was 7pp and 30 gp on the table, in even stacks of 1pp,4gp with two extra gp on the side)

Nas

Nas scoops his share of the coins into his pouch, a little lighter after having to make change in order to ensure everyone got a fair share. After Dvurr finishes what he is saying, the monk speaks in a confident and decisive tone.

Our potential employer implied the existence of bandits. We should be able to take care of them, and hopefully any of the other local denizens by ourselves. If, by chance, we encounter something we can't either handle or cover until the traders get away, then having to worry about an escape clause would be moot, because everyone will be dead.

Use some of this coin to buy supplies for the road such as rations and blankets if you all need to. While the traders may be willing to share their supplies with us on this trip, and yes I will ask, I'm not going to count on such generosity and possibly end up having to fight hungry because I was wrong.

He gazes at each of his friends in turn, letting the words sink in.

Also, make sure to watch your backs and possibly travel in pairs if you need to get supplies. That trader wasn't exactly trying to make this a private job offer, so it's possible some cocky cutpurse might try his luck against us. It wouldn't do to be cocky and get your throat slit.

We'll be meeting the trader along the street* around this time tomorrow to tell him we accept.

Spoiler
    Show

The street mentioned is where the dude was leaning against a wall to talk to us.
    Last edited by Shadowofdeus; 2008-01-17 at 11:08 PM. Reason: editing to account for Simu post
    - It's as true today as when I started adventuring: 'When in doubt, set something on fire.'

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    I started in a jail cell.

Current Characters:
    Nas - Human Monk 6, Homecoming

"a beardless dwarf is like darth vader in a tutu. you know that something is wrong!" - Shademan

4. - Top - End - #34

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, I was figuring Nas and Aldamir had already taken their coins off the table before the serving girl came by and saw ten remaining. Either way, I don't have 10 gp to convert.

Roac firmly dealt with, Aldamir turned his attention back to the conversation at the table. Seeing the party in violent agreement about taking the job, he offered, "I'm of half a mind to track him down tonight and tell him we take the job. With the snow, I don't think it would be too hard to find him."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Bram

Cracking half a grin, Bram says "Well, if you want to track him down, it seems like we're to be paired up then partner. After we track him down, I'd like to pick up a tent for me and Jacob...so I guess that'll take both of the coins." After he's said that, recalling mention of the snow, he tells the group "Snow'll be light, but the cold'll get biting later tonight. It should be warmer tomorrow."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aldamir was said to be reaching for the coins. We have 6 party members by my count, so 6-1 = 5. 10/5 = 2. We each get 2pp, or 20gp equivelant. Bram's sheet isn't posted, mostly for the lot of you not knowing what spells he has prepared each day. I PM'd it in. The description from it is merely: Older halfling, bite-wound scar on his left wrist. Wears brown and green mottled robes, usually keeps his quarterstaff strapped to his back or in use as a walking stick. I suggest you check my last post's spoiler tumble check. Also, Bram is Cha 10. I theoretically COULD be the face of the party if I absolutely have to...but I believe that even our Lizardman has a better Cha then that.
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2008-01-17 at 11:02 PM.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

6. - Top - End - #36

"I don't know where you'd get a tent at this hour, but I'm at least waiting to see if they have any mistavan. And you'll have to keep up, though I suspect if you're flying, that won't be too hard," Aldamir replied. Smiling, he added, "Maybe I'll send Roac up with you so I don't have to hear him grumble."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tom

Tom picks up his share of the coins. As he moves them from one hand to the other makes them disappear one by one. "He may not be too happy seeing us tonight. But if you want to track him, I'd go with you as well. A brisk walk in the cold will do me good, and as long as you are not in too much of a hurry I should be able to keep up."

Spoiler
    Show

keeping up while aldamir is tracking is the easy part, tricky part is keeping up on the way back. Hopefully aldamir won't be hustling back and Tom can hustle to keep up.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Bram

Nodding, Bram says "I'd offer you a ride on Jacob along with me, but I don't use a saddle and I'm not sure if you'd be able to hold on...unless you have some skill with riding a flying mount bareback you've yet to tell me of."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Normally I'm not too bad at riding, but riding a flying mount bareback is a bit risky for me, thanks for the offer though. I should be able to job along and keep up with Aldamir as he looks for the tracks."

Spoiler
    Show
    the way I read the ride rules, riding a mount essentially has DC 0. Unsuitable mount and bareback riding each give a -5 to ride check for a total of -10. And Tom only has a +6 to ride. Unless Jacob is trained as mount in which case the penalty is only -5 from riding without a saddle, and Tom can make it easily.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Jacob is trained as a mount. A combat mount to be specific. Additionally, I can help you with riding for another +2. Also, I figure Bram will be the principal tracker. +19 to survival. I figure Aldamir will likely aid for a +2. To a +21...that's before I use the spell to give me scent for an hour...if I even need that.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Kabrakhan
    Kabrakhan stared a the remaining coins. So how many are mine? he desperately tried to calculate and took as much as he thought was his.
    The conversations going around the table were relatively unheard by him, but every now and then he would give mumbling answears such as: "have rations. bandits is no problem. have blanket." and so on. Suddenly he looked up at Nas. Travel in pairs you say? shall i follow the spellcasters and protect?
    Last edited by Shademan; 2008-01-18 at 09:23 AM. Reason: nothing big...
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

The same serving girl returns to the table with an unusually nice mug of some clear liquid. She places it in front of Aldamir, then hurries away.
    You are a wonderful person! I wish I could be like you.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

"One platinum, seven gold, my friend. Anyone have change? I've only 3 gold pieces. We could split it by almost everyone taking 2 platinum and then giving 3 gold apiece to the last person. I'd be him, if you'd like," Fashai says with a grin.
    I wonder if they'll notice that gives me 1 gold extra?
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

You sure are more intelligent then me Fashai. so youre prolly right! Kabrakhan said and put the platinum piece and seven gold pieces into his purse.
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

on M&B:
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dvurr

Dvurr takes 1 platinum, seemingly not interested in any more.
    I am of those who subjectively prefer the style of Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5 as opposed to 4.

16. - Top - End - #46

Aldamir tried to thank the serving girl, but she was already gone. Shrugging, he slightly raised his small mug and said quietly, "Enyalanilme." Not waiting for anyone else, he took a small draught and appreciated the quality of the chilled liquor. As he set down the mug, he noticed there were still three fingers of the liquid left. He looked mildly surprised at the quantity, but not at all displeased. This would certainly delay any forays out into the night.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

(ooc)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about the lack of serious posting on my part over the last couple days. I've had to work 23 hours out of the last 48.

NAS

The monk nods to the lizardman's suggestion.

Probably a good idea. If one of you are out and about for getting supplies, I could use a tent for myself if you wouldn't mind the extra weight temporarily. As for myself, I shall get rooms for us so that we can rest here for tonight and be refreshed for the trip.

OOC/DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I have deducted the cost of Nas' tent from my character sheet on the assumption that either someone's gonna go buy it or that he will the next morning, as well as the cost of Inn rooms for the party for one night. Ya'll are in charge of getting yourselves supper though. Nas is, unless otherwise needed, done for the night.
    - It's as true today as when I started adventuring: 'When in doubt, set something on fire.'

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Current Characters:

"a beardless dwarf is like darth vader in a tutu. you know that something is wrong!" - Shademan

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC:(don't know how to add spoilers so il just write it here: have subtracted gold for two meals, supper and brekfeast. common.)

I all ready carry rations for one person for twenty two days, but i would be happy to carry anyones rations as well. or tent, for that matter.

He yawned, any kid seeing it would get nightmares for weeks, and mumbled something about sleep.
    Last edited by Shademan; 2008-01-19 at 04:57 AM. Reason: fooood!

on M&B:

19. - Top - End - #49

As the evening wore on, and the level in Aldamir's mug decreased, his thoughts of tracking down their prospective employer faded. By the time he was down to the last few drops, he even relented and allowed Roac to have the remaining mistavan. He did, however, extract a promise of "no singing" as the raven greedily consumed the last of the clear liquor. Contented, Roac nestled back under his master's cloak, humming quietly to himself. Aldamir leaned back in his chair, and stretched his legs, simply enjoying the good cheer around him. He had coins in his pouch, a solid job prospect for the next day, and nothing pressing to do for the rest of the evening. The memory of Bayla and her sisters was far away, and his trance tonight would be more pleasant than usual. Life was good.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tom

Seeing Aldamir's good mood, Tom quietly pulls Bram aside and tells him, "Maybe we should let our friend enjoy himself and deliver the message ourselves."

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Bram

Nodding to Tom, Bram tells'm "Sounds like a plan." then speaking louder, and to Nas, Bram asks "So we're definitly taking the job then?"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

NAS

Too tired to fully repeat the decision, Nas merely nods in Bram's direction before pushing away from the table to pay for the night's accomodations. As he goes he attempts to hum along with the bird, but gives up after a few notes when he realizes he doesn't know the song.

I must make a note to learn that particular tune.

Current Characters:

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Fashai leaves and buys a place to sleep for the night.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bought a good meal for supper, used his everlasting rations for breakfast. Buys common lodgings.
    Last edited by thevorpalbunny; 2008-01-20 at 09:48 AM.
    Folding@Home
    The Diamond Mind (A Tome of Battle prestige class)
    "I just ESP it a half-twist and. . ." Mark Clifton, "Star, Bright"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dvurr

Dvurr rises silently from his seat and also goes to his room which he had previously bought.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Kabrakhan yawned again and mumbled " il get the tent in th' mornin'" he took off to his room, which the monk had paid for.
    If any of our spellcasters need a meatsheild when he goes shopping tomorrow then wake me up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    i just add a tent to his inventory and assume that he gets up early and buy it (for Nas's gold) unless anyone have any objections.
    Last edited by Shademan; 2008-01-20 at 11:24 AM.

on M&B:

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Bram

"Ok then." Climbing down from the chair, Bram says to Tom "Better bundle up. It's going to get much colder as the night wears on. Me and Jacob'll be ok, I just don't want you freezing out there." Telling Jacob "Stay" Bram steps outside to get a feel for the current temperature, then goes back inside to collect Jacob and Tom before heading out.

27. - Top - End - #57

As the rest of the party slowly filtered off to bed or out into the cold, Aldamir remained at the table, smiling quietly to himself. When the last of the inn patrons left the common room, he stood up slowly and obtained inexpensive accommodations for the evening. The next morning, feeling pleased with Roac's behavior the night before, he bestowed a spell on the raven to keep him warm throughout the day. In the early part of the morning, he visited a bindery and picked up a bit more paper, and topped off his vial of ink.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Subtracting: 2 sp for accommodations (all he needed was a place to meditate, not lie down), 5 gp for 2/3 of a vial of ink, and 1 gp and 8 sp for 9 sheets of parchment. Or rather, I will subtract that amount once my sheet loads. Coyotecode seems to be having some issues at the moment...
    As far as spells, Aldamir removes his armor, casts "Endure Elements" on Roac, and puts the armor back on. For today, he prepares 2x Prestidigitation, Detect Magic, and Message for cantrips, True Strike, Feather Fall, and the previously mentioned Endure Elements for 1st level spells, and Longstrider for his Ranger spell.
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-01-20 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Grammar error.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Tom

Tom picks up his hat and wraps his cloak around himself tightly. Walking to the door. As he approaches Bram he says, "I'm ready to go whenever you are."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Kabrakhan woke up. He stretched, yawned and growled happily. He then got up and put on his glamered armour and his thick winter clothes before he went to to buy a decent tent.

on M&B:

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kabrakhan slept for two minutes? We're still on the night you went to sleep...

Bram

Calling to Jacob "Heel" Bram checks to make sure his belt is secured, then unslinging his walking stick, nods to Tom and heads out the door with Jacob in tow. Retracing his steps to where they last encountered their prospective employer, checking his pace so as not to tax Tom, and bending to the tracks, Bram begins tracking thier-yet-unnamed employer to be.

Survival - (1d20+21)[34]

Spoiler
    Show
    So on a 34. If he was by himself...and I was tracking him over solid stone by moonlight and it's snowed, and I waited an entire 24 hours....I could still track him.
    Last edited by Seffbasilisk; 2008-01-20 at 04:36 PM.