New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurer's Guild Team Dingo IC

As Omoris and Sentinel climb aboard the fishing boat (Sentinel shaking himself so that anyone who wasn't wet before is now), Durx secures the remainder of the party's gear to the rope running from tree to mast. Marko shimmies across the rope (Taking 10) and attaches a second rope to the gear, then returns to the boat, and hauls the gear on board. Durx unties the rope from the tree, and is about to throw it in the river for Marko to haul aboard, then considers his lack of swimming skill and decides to tie the rope around his waist instead. It turns out to be an unnecessary precaution as he has to swim only a very short distance once the water becomes too deep for him to walk in. With everyone aboard, Ulysses and Althea fall back upon their oars, with Daros at the rudder directing Darla how best to make use of the simple sail. The boat begins to creep upstream again, though their quarry has now slipped out of sight around the bend.

Darla
    "We only have the two oars, but there's room for two people on each oar."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Dwarf in the Playground

Right- so which of us is going to do the rowing? is anyone here a dab hand at it?

Omoris turned to the others

I don't have much experience with rowing myself, but I am sure that I could have a good go at it if we need to
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=36610

Thank you Shades of Grey for my avatar

3. - Top - End - #183

Marko

As others set about the oars, Marko helped Darla set the sails just right, trying not to quibble too much with Daros, being that it was his boat. When he looked up and realized they had lost sight of their quarry, he cursed under his breath and said, "Perhaps we should land on the opposite bank where the going is easier? I think we may able to make better time afoot than against the current."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Orc in the Playground

"They aren't that far up, I think we might be able to catch them if you move quickly enough," Althea said aloud. She sat down near one of the oars, waiting for the others to decide. "We might be able to reach them in the boat, but I don't know how we'll get onto their ship from here. And if we go to the other bank, then they might pull off before we can reach them.
    Sneak is the artist of my Avatar.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Orc in the Playground

"Lend a hand then, Cardinal, if you're up for it." Ulysses slides over and gestures for Omoris to take up a seat next to him.

"I don't know much about boats; I'm more comfortable in a saddle," he says, addressing the rest of the group and wishing he was in a saddle right now. "But it seems to me that, if we've any chance of keeping up with the other boat, we should stick to the water. Even if we caught up with them on foot, there'd be nothing we could do. We can't board them if we're landbound. But I have no idea whether we can keep up like this."

Spoiler
    Show
    I really do have no idea whether we can keep up or not if we stay in the boat. And I doubt Ulysses would have much of a sense of that anyways unless it was really obvious one way or the other; he has no ranks in Profession (Sailor) and a Wis mod of -1 to boot, so making a check would be pointless for him. Anyone with more expertise feel free to weigh in.
    Setting: The Chimeric City

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the Calvin avatar, as well as the Pandaren:
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Of Course, of course.

Omoris took a seat next to Ulysses, Grasping the fine, oak oar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Could Omoris take a wisdom check to see if they could catch up with the boat?
    Last edited by Sledge_bro; 2008-03-27 at 12:50 PM.

7. - Top - End - #187

Daros shakes his head, as if intuiting Omoris' query.

Daros
    "That's a fast boat ahead of us. Faster than us, even with all of you rowing. You could catch it running, maybe, but I don't how long you could keep it up, especially with all that equipment you have."

8. - Top - End - #188

Marko

"Not to disagree with you Master Daros, but we were keeping up with that vessel with little trouble afoot on the less favorable bank. We may have to run to catch up to it, but I daresay we'll be able to keep up once we catch it, at least as long as we're awake. We'll undoubtedly lose time sleeping while they continue up stream. I have to wonder how many oarsmen they have, though. They may be limited to sail at night," Marko said.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does Marko need a Profession/Sailor check for any of that? Better question: was any of what he said wrong, oh wise and powerful DM?

9. - Top - End - #189

Daros
    "Well, I suppose if you are that determined, I mean, you'd be walkin' all day...It's just that - beggin' your pardon - tall people sometimes forget to account for those of us with shorter legs." (His ruddy face flushes a shade redder.) "Sorry, Master Gnome, I'm sure you know what you're gettin' into."
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-03-28 at 12:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190

Marko

"No need to apologize. I'm reckoned quick among my people, and have had no trouble keeping up with these folk yet. But you're right about the walking all day. Unless they heave to at night to rest, we'll fall behind until we're up again. Oh, and it's Marko, by the way," the gnome said, sticking out his hand for Daros to shake. If Daros looked, he would notice Marko's hands were callused in much the same way as his own.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

"All this talk of rest, pah. I don't know about all of you, but I'll find plenty of time to rest when I'm dead -- or when they are," Ulysses jerks his chin ahead to indicate the other boat that's pulled out of view, and keeps rowing, waiting for some sort of concensus on whether they're making their pursuit on or off the boat.

Spoiler
    Show
    @Daryk: If there's ever any question in your mind about whether you need to make a roll or not, my advice is just roll. That way, if the DM doesn't need it, he can ignore it. Otherwise, if you ask instead of rolling, and it turns out he does want you to roll, then you just have to post again. Thus it's a time-saver to just go ahead and roll.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm not much help, nev'seen a boat 'n my life 'till Bridegeport.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

"I haven't seen much in the way of boats either. Not much need for them when you lived in mountains," Althea replied to the big man. "I do think we should decide soon. Or at least get an idea of what to do anyway. If they get too far ahead, I doubt we'd ever catch up to them."

14. - Top - End - #194

Daros (shaking hands quickly with Daryk)
    "Sounds like we'll be setting you all ashore then. There should be a spot on the east bank coming up..."

After struggling upstream a bit further, Daros steers the boat up to a rickety wooden dock, and Darla leaps over the gunnel with a rope to secure them. The road that runs parallel to the east bank is at the other end of the dock.

"Good luck to you on your journey, then. I hope you get your friends back safe and sound. The road here should be pretty safe. Don't forget all your equipment."

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Is it worth me using the power of Obad-hai to mve swiftly or not? I might be able to catch them off early.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

"You're older and doubtless wiser than the rest of us," Ulysses says in response to Omoris as he gathers up his pack and any other loose equipment he can comfortably carry. "If you think it would help to call on your god to speed you ahead, then do so, but I can't devise what you'd do once you caught up with them, all on your own. Personally, I'm inclined to stick together so as we don't get seperated or lost."

Ulysses turns to Daros and favors him with a sincere if hasty bow. "You have our deepest gratitude, sir." Then he steps off the boat and onto the dock, heading for the road, impatient for them to be on their way.

Spoiler
    Show
    As an OOC note, didn't Omoris already use his speedy-spell today? Or does he have it memorized twice?

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

17. - Top - End - #197
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes I guess you're correct. I didn't feel inclined to use up the last of my power anyway.

Spoiler
    Show
    I forgot that druids prepare spells like clerics * kicks entangle*

18. - Top - End - #198

Marko

"Is there any way you could speed all of us along? I think Ulysses is right in that we should stick together," added Marko.

Turning to Daros before leaving the boat for good, he asked, "Master Daros, could you spare a bit of sail cloth? Say, a scrap four feet by four feet? I may have a way to slow our quarry once we catch it, but I need the canvas. I think I have enough other materials to make a sea anchor, but the canvas is critical. Perhaps an auger or two as well?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, I know OOC Longstrider is a personal spell, but it's a reasonable question for a character without Spellcraft.

On the other item, Marko is thinking about making a sea anchor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_anchor). Once he fashions it from canvas and rope, he'll need a way to attach it to the hull. I could be wrong, but Sentinel may be big enough to carry Marko ahead during a period of darkness where Marko could make his way out into the river ahead of the target vessel. 16 square feet of canvas may or may not be enough to shave their speed down to 20 or so, but that's what Marko's aiming for.

19. - Top - End - #199

Daros

"Certainly - here's a 20 square foot canvas. I can't spare my anchor, not that you would want to carry it walking, but here's 50 feet of hemp rope if you need it. I'm afraid I don't have an auger; only a hammer and a saw."

20. - Top - End - #200
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sadly my powers do not go that far. I am sure that one of the more experienced members of the crown could though. I don't know how you would fare trying to ride Sentinel to make up for...

*Omoris pauses for a second, for a lack of a better word.*

speed disadvantage.

*Another nervous pause*

But If we lose sight of the ship, my Shalmhound could track it for us. He has tracked smaller, less noisy things before!

Spoiler
    Show
    IC vs OOC knowledge.:P

21. - Top - End - #201
    Firbolg in the Playground

(OOC: Oh no! Omoris is a triplet!)

Worse comes to worse, I can carry ya.
    Durx smirks (rhyme!)
    'm sure y'can get a good vantage point, we're ten feet tall 'tween the two of us. Don't worry, I'd handle the extra weight, such is the power of m'lord.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

"Or I can, or even Ulysses," Althea replied. She got off the boat as well, thanking their sailing captains as she did so. "What are you planning on doing anyway?"

[[Althea is the fastest and most clueless about sailing right now ]]

23. - Top - End - #203

Marko

To Daros, Marko said, "Thank you Daros. Both are most appreciated. It shouldn't take me too long to whip up a sea anchor once I can sit down and do it."

Turning to the rest, Marko replied cheerfully, "I can keep up with most talk folk, but if any of you are faster than that, I wouldn't turn down a free ride."

Spoiler
    Show
    FYI, Marko has a move of 30 feet through the "Quick" trait.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    @Daryk: I'd think Marko could easily ride Sentinel, since he's considered a riding dog in game-mechanic terms, and thus the right size for a small-sized rider.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

25. - Top - End - #205

Spoiler
    Show
    @souldoubt: Yeah, but I think Althea would be much handier in a fight, not to mention easier to talk to and plan with...

26. - Top - End - #206

Marko

As Daros cast off, Marko turned to Althea and answered, "Sorry... I got a bit distracted there. I think I can make a simple device to slow the vessel we're chasing. Once it's made, I'll need to attach it somehow, but at the very least that will require us getting ahead of the vessel so I can swim out to it. Does that make sense? Ashore, we were able to keep up with it, even on the rougher bank, so I think we should be able to catch it no sweat."

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

"I think I could carry you fastest," Althea began softly. She sighed, lifting her satchel filled with her things inside. It was heavy, hardly for the barbarian, but with a gnome, it would slow her down a bit. She took it off carefully, checking inside so that nothing was broken. Her rations cushioned her art supplies, and everything seemed in place. "How long wll it take to make the anchor anyways?"

She looked at Ulysses, passing over Durx after the last time she asked him to hold something. She held up the satchel for him to see. "If I do, could you hold this for me? I don't want it banging around with a gnome riding me."
    Last edited by ArtifexFelicis; 2008-04-01 at 11:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208

Marko

Taking Althea's question as an invitation to start work, Marko whipped out his palm leather, needle and thread and said, "About 20 minutes, I think. Longer if we try to keep the vessel in sight by moving periodically. I suggest we arrange our loads so we can catch the vessel more efficiently, if we don't do it that way. If we do, then you and I can catch the others, assuming they head upstream now."

29. - Top - End - #209

Daros and Darla bid the adventurers farewell. While Marko finishes the sea anchor, the others cross-level their loads so each person is carrying a reasonable amount of weight for their strength.

Marko
    "Done."

It isn't pretty, but the canvas contraption looks like it shouldn't completely fall apart. The adventurers bundle it up and take off North at a fast jog. The road veers away from the river for a time, they worry that their quarry may escape them, so they keep up the pace for close to an hour, loose bits of equipment jingling as they go. When the road finally returns to the riverbank the adventurers stop to catch their breath and look for the boat. They look ahead, far down a straight stretch, and their hearts sink as they realize that despite their efforts, the boat is still nowhere in sight.

Sentinel
    "Woof!"

Turning to see the boat just coming around the bend about 400 yards behind them, the sweat-soaked adventurers breathe a sigh of relief, then realize they'd better pull back a few feet into the cedar trees if they don't want to be spotted by Kata's kidnappers.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-04-04 at 03:46 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Dwarf in the Playground

There it is...

Sentinel started to whine for attention.

Quiet! Omoris harshly whispered.