New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurer's Guild Team Dingo IC

Marko

Marko drew back into the trees to avoid being seen, only briefly wondering how they had managed to pass the vessel without noticing it. He supposed the trees had been thicker back there than he remembered.

Spoiler
    Show
    Marko will take 10 on "aiding" anyone who looks like they might need help (for a result of 21), then hide himself (again taking 10 for a result of 21).

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

Seeing Marko as the signal Omoris too crouched down low by the trees, And tried to make Sentinel do the same wih some precise gestures.

Spoiler
    Show
    Handle animal (1d20+5)[11] Hide (1d20+1)[6] (Only if I cannot take ten)
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=36610

Thank you Shades of Grey for my avatar

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Althea followed their example, going back into the trees and quicking hiding herself along with the others.

((Just gonna take ten, so I have an 11))
    Sneak is the artist of my Avatar.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Ulysses follows his companions back into the trees, not sure exactly what they're up to.

Spoiler
    Show
    @Daryk: Unfortunately, you can't take 10 on the aid action.

I guess Ulysses takes 10 on his Hide check (for an 11 total), following the lead of the others, even though he doesn't really understand why they're crouching in the bushes.
    Setting: The Chimeric City

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the Calvin avatar, as well as the Pandaren:
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

5. - Top - End - #215

As the adventurers hide in the trees just off the riverbank, the river galley pulls abreast of them. The boat has a single sail and small cabins fore and aft. Amidships is an open deck with five large oars on each side. The tops of the heads of the oarsmen are just visible over the gunnel. The prisoners and horses are no longer on deck (but the aft cabin looks large enough to hold the horses). There are two men on the platform that makes the roof of the fore cabin and two on the aft cabin. The faint sound of a drum reaches the adventurers, in time with the stroke of the oars.

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope this was consistent with my earlier description. I'm calling it a "River Galley" to distinguish it from the much larger Galley in the DMG.

6. - Top - End - #216

Marko

From his hidden vantage, Marko studied the river galley as closely as distance would allow, seeking hints of its construction below the waterline for an appropriate attachment point for the sea anchor. Perhaps the rudder post, or if there was a keel to counterbalance the wind. The latter was unlikely, given that it was a river vessel, but not impossible. The drogue wasn't designed the stop the vessel in any case, merely slow it enough to facilitate keeping up with it on foot despite the requisite stops for rest.

7. - Top - End - #217

Spoiler
    Show
    Um, sure. There's a rudder post. Or some other thingamajiggy.

8. - Top - End - #218

Marko

Marko grinned as the gears in his mind ground to a solution: the rudder post should do nicely. Now to wait for dark, and convince Althea to run him ahead of the vessel. It would be cold, but he shouldn't have to swim for too long. Perhaps a floating log to cover his approach in the darkness, then a touchy bit along the hull of the river galley until he could position himself at the stern of the vessel and rig the sea anchor to the rudder post. With luck, the drogue wouldn't rip the rudder free, and provide sufficient drag to make it possible to catch the vessel in the morning.

9. - Top - End - #219

The trail ahead is fortunately in the trees, and the adventurers trail their quarry without being seen. As darkness falls, the galley stops and anchors next to a small rock island in the middle of the river. The adventurers are not out of breath, but those not used to walking long distances are noticing some blisters and sore muscles.

10. - Top - End - #220

Marko

Marko had to clap a hand to his mouth to keep from whooping with delight when the river galley hove to and anchored for the night. Rubbing his hands together, he said quietly, "Oh, this simplifies things mightily!" Then he looked thoughtful for a moment, and turned to the others.
    "I don't suppose you'd prefer to assault the vessel tonight, eh? I mean, it'll be a heck of a lot easier to attach the sea anchor now, but since they've stopped, maybe we should just get to rescuing your friend, right?" he asked of one and all.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm ok with doin' it now, any'un tired?

Durx silently draws his mace.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

Ulysses nods. "I can't think of any reason to wait." He pauses, thoughful. "The question is, how are we going to get to the kidnappers? Durx and I are weighted down by our armor. Maybe if we rigged another rope out to that little island... but that sounds risky, since they could always cut the rope and leave us at the mercy of the current."
    Last edited by souldoubt; 2008-04-10 at 06:54 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

13. - Top - End - #223
    Orc in the Playground

"I could do with a break after this Durx," Althea commented. She left her greatsword sheathed for now. It was an ungainly thing at times, and stealth would not help with it. She sat down though, rubbing her feet as she thought.

"I can swim out, if you want, me and Marko," She thought aloud. An idea was beginning to form in her mind. "I'm sure we could shimmy up the rope pretty easy and just rescue Kata fairly quietly. Or throw a line out to you guys and keep the line safe till you make it on."

"Do you know of any ways to sabotage a boat actually?" Althea asked, looking at Marko. She grinned a little at the thought. It was an oddly familiar plan. "Preventing them from going any farther might be better for us then trying to assault them. Especially if it would only be us."

14. - Top - End - #224

Marko

Marko grinned and replied, "Oh, there are many ways to sabotage a vessel. Few of them likely to go unnoticed by the night watch, though. And fewer still that couldn't be repaired in under a day. If we could silence the watchmen, we might have a bit more success. Slipping the oars overboard would slow them down quite a bit, and slashing the rigging will force them to repair the damage before getting underway at all. If we could do all that, though, I'd think we could get your friend over the side and away with us. Of course, even if we sabotage the vessel, they could just drift down stream if we return to Bridgeport..."

15. - Top - End - #225
    Orc in the Playground

"I think the rope plan might be our best bet," Ulysses says. "Those of us who aren't weighted down could swim across and attach a rope -- on that island or on the boat, whichever you think would be more secure or easier to defend. Then the rest of us could make our way across while you defend the rope." He pauses. "I certainly don't like sending anyone into danger ahead of me, but this may be our only option."

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

16. - Top - End - #226
    Orc in the Playground

"I'm pretty sure that elf guy is a really good shot," Althea explained. She was taking of her boots on the ground, in preparation of the swim. "I'd rather not have him out of my reach if we're going to have to fight." She stood, stretching and checking the straps that held her greatsword in place. She grinned at Ulysses as she did so. "Don't worry, I'm not as Dainty as I look and Marko seems like a tough little guy." She looked down at him as well. "I'm ready when you are."

17. - Top - End - #227

Marko

The gnome considered for a moment, then decided to keep his armor on for this swim. It was much more likely to get ugly at the end of it, and if all else failed, his gnomish magic would be able to restore the leather tomorrow. He checked his weapons and his tools to make sure they'd remain attached to his body, then grinned at Althea. "After you," he said politely.

Spoiler
    Show
    By "tools", I mean his sailor's tool kit and the sea anchor; he doesn't have thieves' tools yet (hope we don't have to pick any locks...).

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

I will swim over with Sentinel and help to defend the rope. At a range I am a good shot with my trusty sling, and I can always turn to magic in an emergancy.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Orc in the Playground

Althea nodded at both Omoris and Marko, making last minute adjustments to her armor and her greatsword as she went towards the water. Her kukri was still safe as well in its small sheath, a small loop of leather enough to keep it locked in unless Althea needed it. She dipped a foot into the water, feeling a chill. Despite, she waded in slowly, then began to swim toward the small island that the boat was anchored on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking ten on a swim check, so 13

20. - Top - End - #230

Althea has to use some of her strength while swimming - the water isn't completely calm - but she reaches the stern of the boat unseen and sees that the anchor of the boat is only halfway in the water, one of its two hooks wedged in a fissure on the upstream/bow side of the small rock island, preventing the boat from being pushed back downstream by the current.

Just then, as Marko and Omoris prepare to take the plunge, a man on the boat lights a torch and walks to the stern, illuminating the water for 40 feet around the boat and the little island. The adventurers instinctively freeze, but Althea is hidden up against the stern of the boat while those on the shore are out of range of the torchlight.

21. - Top - End - #231

Marko

"I'll go next," Marko said quietly to Omoris. The gnome waited for the watchman to head forward again before swimming stealthily out to the boat with the rope. Instead of uncoiling it behind him from the shore, he kept the coil about his body until he joined Althea in the shadow of the hull.
    "We have to tie it off underwater to keep it out of the light," he whispered to her before diving down to find something suitable. That done, he quietly swam back to shore trailing the rope to aid the encumbered swimmers.

Spoiler
    Show
    Marko takes 10 on his swim checks for 14's, tying off the rope for 17, and doing it all stealthily for 17 (move silently) and 21 (hide).

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

Come on Sentinel...quietly now.

Omoris quietly slid into the water and slowly swam after the others. Soon Sentinel followed.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Idea was to call Sentinel over afterwards, but he does not know stay and I do not think I will roll 20 for handle animal

oh, take 10 for swim, total 13

23. - Top - End - #233

Marko and Omoris join Althea in the shallow water up against the stern of the boat, next to the small rock island, taking their time and swimming underwater part way to avoid being seen. Sentinel does not swim completely underwater but the man with the torch doesn't seem to notice him, perhaps because only his nose breaks the surface.

The port side of the boat looks scalable for someone standing on the island.

The adventurers cannot see if there is anyone else on deck besides the man with the torch on the roof of the stern cabin, next to the rudder.

Spoiler
    Show

I tried some ASCII art here but it didn't work.

Anyway, there is only one deck amidships. One mast with furled sail in the middle. Oars protrude through the gunnel. If oarsmen are there behind the gunnel, they can not be seen if the observer is below or at the same height as boat.
    A cabin at each end, stern larger than bow. The helmsman's position is on the roof of the stern cabin.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

Ulysses watches in silence from the shore as his companions evade the notice of the boat's single guard.

"I don't like all this sneaking about," he remarks to Durx in a whisper. "Couldn't we just announce ourselves and challenge them to come out and face us? Or do you think they'd just heave to and try to run away like cowards again?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

25. - Top - End - #235

Marko

In a low voice, Marko said, "I'm going to take a peek. Stay here for a second."

Marko quietly swam to where he could get a better grip on the hull, pulled himself up, and peered over the gunnel from the shadows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Marko continues to take 10, if he's allowed. That would be:
    Swim: 14
    Climb: 14
    Hide: 21
    Move Silently: 17
    And sorry for the delay. It was a very long week, and I fell asleep not too long after getting home from work last night.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Firbolg in the Playground

Is there no other way across?

Believe me, th'last thing'i'wanna do is sneak, how'ver there is no other sol'tion t'this.

Durx sits down, and pulls out some of his rations. Skipped brea'fast t'be early. Want some?

27. - Top - End - #237

Marko inches along the port side side of the boat, slowly to avoid even the slightest splash. He selects a spot on the gunnel in the darkest shadows where he can lift himself up to an oarlock rather than exposing his hands and head over the gunnel.
    Peering through the oarlock, he counts twenty oarsmen sprawled on the deck, appearing to be asleep. Two men wearing parts of the Bridgeport City Guard uniform are also (apparently) sleeping on bales of hay in front of the stern cabin. The man with the torch is still by the tiller on top of the stern cabin, and Finde is sitting awake on a little barrel with a handheld lantern at his feet in front of the door to the bow cabin. Marko can smell horse manure.
    Marko's arms start to tire so he slowly lets himself down. As he does so, his foot slips on a wet rock and his knee bumps lightly against the side of the boat before he gains secure footing and ducks down in the shadows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen - (1d20+6)[24]
    If listen check succeeds, Spot - (1d20+6)[20]

Findecano stands up.
    Finde
    "What was that?"
    Helmsman
    "What was what?"

Finde walks over to the port side of the boat and peers into the darkness. Marko presses himself as flat against the boat as he can, most of his body under the shallow water, turning his head so his face will not reflect any of the light of the crescent moon, though he knows that won't help much against Finde's low-light vision.
    It seems like Finde is looking right at him, but finally the elf turns away and climbs a short ladder to the roof of the stern cabin, where he stands with the helmsman.

Finde
    "I'm sure I heard something hit the boat. Though it could have just been some driftwood."
    Helmsman
    "Do you think they followed us?"
    Finde
    "I've been watching behind us for any boats and I've been watching the west bank carefully. I don't think anyone is breathing down our necks, but I'm sure they haven't given up."
    Helmsman
    "Well, it's time to wake up the next watch. You can tell them what you heard."
    Finde
    "Go ahead and wake them. I'm staying up though - I'll trance -- sleep, you know -- once we're underway in the daylight again."

The helmsman wedges the torch upright between two pieces of wood in the railing behind him and turns to go down the ladder to the deck of sleeping men.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-04-19 at 07:22 AM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

Althea waited, hoping that Marko was not seen as he slipped on the rock. She remained silent though, watching as she saw the silhouette of the elf from before look for Marko as well. She let out a silent sigh of relief as he remained hidden, and did her best to not move either. She nodded at Omoris, waiting for the switch between watches. As far as she could tell, there was no reason why they would need to fight until they had some advantage.

29. - Top - End - #239

The helmsman goes down the ladder, followed by Finde. Finde takes his old seat back. The helmsman wakes up two oarsman, talks quietly with them for a moment, then lies down on the rowing deck to sleep while the two walk back towards the ladder to where the torch is.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-04-21 at 03:09 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240

Marko

Marko waited until he heard conversation die, and the elf resume his seat before daring to move. When he thought it was safe, he crept silently back to the stern where Althea and Omoris waited.

"Perhaps we should wait til tomorrow," he whispered, pointing up with one hand, and holding up three fingers with the other. He then indicated the sea anchor strapped to his body.