New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Adventurer's Guild Team Dingo IC

With none of his companions dissenting or proposing alternate plans, Marko attaches the sea anchor, and he, Althea, Omoris, and Sentinel carefully swim (underwater while in torch light, except for Sentinel's face) back to the shore where Ulysses and Durx wait, frustrated by the lack of action.

Dawn breaks and the galley casts off, oars dipping in a steady rhythm... but the boat is barely moving upstream, thanks to Marko's contraption. Not long after the adventurers begin to follow the boat, they crouch down in the bushes as the boat pulls into a quiet, shallow patch of water next to the east bank - not fifty feet away from the adventurers! The gangplank is let down and, apparently not thinking they would be pursued on the East Bank Road, the helmsman and one oarsman walk down to the shore, then wade into the shallow water to the stern of the ship to see what is causing so much drag. Findecano stands at the gangplank, leaning over the starboard gunnel to see what the helmsman finds. The rest of the oarsman stay at their oars. Kata, the horses, and the two men in Guards uniforms are nowhere to be seen.

2. - Top - End - #242

Marko

Marko was initially pleased at how well the sea anchor was working, then realized the drag was so great, the crew couldn't fail to notice. His suspicion was borne out when the vessel hove to in shallow water. By the time the anchor was set, the gnome had cocked and loaded his crossbow from the cover of the bushes. "Do we attack?" he asked quietly as the gangplank was lowered.

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope we can decide before Finde bends over the gunnel. I'd dearly like to take a shot at the elf from about 30 feet (if the cover will support moving that close unnoticed). If we can at least kill Finde, sneaking up on them later will be that much easier, and we might be able to get the helmsman too, reducing their effectiveness at navigating up river.

3. - Top - End - #243

There is some foliage in the span of the distance from the bushes where the adventurers are hiding to within ten feet of the river (and the gangplank). However, it's only high enough to hide someone who is prone, or at best someone on all fours, and even for a prone person the cover is not so thick that one might not be spotted.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Orc in the Playground

"I'm dunknow, maybe," Althea whispered back. She felt a little awkward trying to keep hidden next to the gnome. She looked at the rest of the group as she did so. "This might be our best shot though."
    Last edited by ArtifexFelicis; 2008-04-24 at 06:46 PM.
    Sneak is the artist of my Avatar.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think we should go for them as soon as thier backs are turned.
    They might work out what is going on and increase thier guard later. Of course,I am not sure if we could take them, but this might be out last shot.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=36610

Thank you Shades of Grey for my avatar

6. - Top - End - #246

The two men at the stern of the boat discover the sea anchor attached to the rudder post and stoop to pull it out of the water.

Helmsman (calling over his shoulder)
    "Elf, you'd best have a look at this!"

Finde (still standing at the gunnel, his torso and head exposed)
    "Have a look at what?"

7. - Top - End - #247

Marko

"That's three for, and none against. I may regret this, but here goes..." Marko said, drawing a bead on the elf. Unfortunately, the scant cover was too thin to cross with any stealth, so he'd have to risk the greater range to retain the concealment of the bushes. In an instant, the gnome was all motion, firing and reloading his crossbow as fast as possible, focusing first on the elf, then the helmsman, followed by anyone charging their position.

Spoiler
    Show
    To hit roll: (1d20+4)[19]
    Damage (if required): (1d8)[1]
    With his Rapid Reload feat, as fast as he can is once per round (reloading the heavy crossbow becomes a move action with the feat).

8. - Top - End - #248
    Firbolg in the Playground

Marko! No!
    Durx casts enlarge person on himself and pushes Marko behind him, he draws his heavy shield.
    Next time, let me prepare!

9. - Top - End - #249

Marko's first shot grazes GylvinFinde, who gives a shout and stumbles, touching his head and finding blood on his hand. He looks into the bushes and sees the movement of Marko reloading his crossbow lightning-quick as an intimidatingly large half-orc moves in front of him to shield him. He points at the adventurers and shouts again, and the two men hip-deep in the river turn and look, their faces also showing that they see the adventurers.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to fudge the initiative rules a little here. Don't roll for initiative. Order of Battle is Marko, Durx, (who both took their turn already) then the rest of you in whatever order you post, then the bad guys. Don't worry - the way I'll roleplay the bad guys, you'll still get most of the rewards of a surprise attack.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-04-26 at 03:41 PM. Reason: durn elves all look alike t'me...

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

Ulysses, who had been crouching in the bushes grinding his teeth in frustration and hoping for just such a moment when they might actually do something instead of sitting around like clucking hens, leaps to his feet and draws his sword as he charges down the bank and up the gankplank for Finde.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to assume the following in making his move:
    a) The underbrush isn't thick enough to obstruct a double move action, and there's no one in Ulysses's way;
    b) Since we were about 50 ft. from the boat, my double move action would put Ulysses about 10 ft. away from Finde, given a relatively direct line of approach. I can't strike in a surprise round anyhow (Knight's Code), but I want it to be clear that Ulysses is coming for Finde. Ulysses is not a man of extreme subtlety.

Oh, and since his Base Attack Bonus is +1, Ulysses is capable of drawing his weapon as a free action as part of a normal move action.

Sorry I haven't been posting much, but till now there wasn't much for Ulysses to do that wouldn't involve interfering with or ruining the party's plans.

And Doc, I'm guessing you meant "Marko's first shot grazes Finde," not Gylvin. Durn elves all look the same, it's so easy to mix them up.
    Last edited by souldoubt; 2008-04-26 at 12:06 PM.
    Setting: The Chimeric City

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the Calvin avatar, as well as the Pandaren:
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

11. - Top - End - #251
    Orc in the Playground

Althea stood, waiting until the others had made their move, began to run towards the boat as well. She stood as well, beginning to run and drawing her large blade as she did so. She quickly passed Ulysses, leaping as she swung the sword at Finde.

Spoiler
    Show
    Possible kill steal, please forgive me. Let's hope our elf is a bit surprised by us.

Right, Althea is charging. So she gets a double move (80ft total, hopefully enough to get to our traitorous friend.) She draws her sword in the move as well, and she's going to just do a standard attack with the +2 from her charge. She also get s -2 to her AC as well for now. She hasn't raged yet though...

(1d20+6)[19]
    (2d6+4)[8] - With 1/2 STR bonus

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

R'dellah!

Omoris snaps his fingers and points at Ulysses, and Sentinel bounds after him, looking for potential enemies

Omoris then withdrew his sling and strode forwards the vessal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Omoris used a free action to make Sentinel guard Ulysses using the defend trick (To help him again reprisals from the rest of the crew) (1d20+5)[16] and uses a double move action to withdraw his sling and walk 30ft towards the boat

13. - Top - End - #253

Dashing forward, Althea outpaces her comrades. By the time Ulysses reaches the top of the gangplank, Althea has backed Finde up against the stern cabin, and with one stroke of her blade she cuts him down. He lies apparently unconscious, bleeding on the deck. Nineteen oarsmen jump from their benches and, fumbling, draw their daggers from their belts, startled by the sudden appearance of such impressive-looking foes. The door to the stern cabin starts to open...

Spoiler
    Show
    The stern cabin is within one step of Althea. The closest oarsmen are within one step of Althea and Ulysses. There is no-one on either of the upper decks.

The helmsman shouts, and he and the oarsman with him drop the sea anchor and draw their daggers, then struggle to wade to shore. They reach land and hesitate, with Omoris and Sentinel at the bottom of the gangplank, ten feet away, and Durx and Marko at the edge of the brush, forty feet away.

------------next round of combat--------------

Marko steps to the side of Durx's monstrous bulk, and lets fly another heavy crossbow bolt, this time at the helmsman.

Spoiler
    Show
    Figured I'd go ahead and post this since Daryk already declared Marko's intentions.Attack - (1d20+4)[23]; Damage - (1d8)[4]; see OOC for crit rolls.

Almost simultaneously with the twang of the powerful crossbow comes the crack of breaking bone, as the bolt pierces the very center of the helmsman's chest. The bolt's victim falls backward with a splash into the Timber River.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-04-27 at 05:58 AM.

14. - Top - End - #254

Marko

"Durx, I really think Althea and Ulysses need the help more than I do," Marko said, taking aim at the helmsman.

As the bolt felled his target, Marko shouted, "Surrender and live, ye scurvy bilge rats!"

He then took aim at the sailor who'd been accompanying the helmsman, since he was the only one on this side of Althea and Ulysses' blades. Conveniently enough, wading in hip deep water also made him the easiest target.

15. - Top - End - #255

Right!

Durx charges at Finde (or if he is dead by then one of the sailors) and strikes out with his mace.

By the strength of St. Cuthbert I shall defeat you for what you have done!

OOC: Charging, 1/day smite attack, at Finde or someone, charging with my mace.

attack - (1d20+8)[22]
    damage - (2d6+6)[10]

It does 2d6 because of my mace's size increase.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Omoris bellowed a battle cry and took aim with his sling at the nearest sailor, pointing at another, which Sentinel bounded towards an attacked.

Spoiler
    Show
    Omoris makes Sentinel attack (1d20+5)[20] and uses his sling (1d20+1)[13] and if it hits (1d4+1)[3] damage

17. - Top - End - #257

The massive Durx charges up the gangplank (nearly knocking Omoris and Sentinel over) and joins Ulysses, smashing the nearest oarsman to the deck in a bloody heap with his mace.

Omoris and Sentinel are not far behind. Swinging his sling even as he moves up the gangplank, Omoris stops at the top and lets fly his bullet, smacking into the ribs of one of the oarsmen with a sickening crunch. Sentinel springs at another oarsman and bites him between the neck and shoulder. When he releases his teeth, bright red blood gushes from the gaping wound.

Spoiler
    Show
    Waiting on Althea and Ulysses before your opponents get their turn.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-04-27 at 12:51 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

((Going to assume that Althea is on the boat, and that she is within range of smacking someone))

Watching the elf go down brought a savage grin to the girl's face as she whipped around, facing the rest of the oarsmen with her blade already bloody. She heaved the sword back, bringing it crashing down towards another man with her considerable might behind the stroke.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+3)[7]
    (2d6+5)[7]

Power Attacking! The first symptom of a barbarian having fun.

As a fluff thing, mind if that makes a gash in the wood o great DM?
    Last edited by ArtifexFelicis; 2008-04-27 at 02:57 PM.

19. - Top - End - #259

A lucky oarsman jumps out of the way of Althea's blade, which she swings with such force that it carves a deep gouge into the wood of the boat before she finishes swinging it back into the en garde position.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, change of plans, I was gonna use my Fighting Challenge ability and attack Finde, but since he's down, I think I'll do this instead, assuming I can...

Seeing his intended target fall before Althea's onslaught, Ulysses casts about for the helmsman, and rushes at him, brandishing his sword and menacing the man. "The elf is felled! Tell the rest to stand down, now!" he shouts.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ulysses doesn't know if the helmsman is actually in charge, but that's not the sort of thing I think he'd have the foresight to consider.

The following rolls are for when I thought I was going to attack someone, but since I'm not doing that, we'll go ahead and use the attack roll as my Intimidate roll instead, if that's okay by the DM.
    Not really an attack: Attack - (1d20+6)[23]+1 for a total of 24 (from +7 Intimidate modifier)

Maybe Ulysses should get a circumstance bonus for having a 14 foot tall half-orc on his side.

Ignore the rolls below, as they're no longer relevant.
    Confirm - (1d20+6)[9]
    Damage - (1d10+4)[12]
    Last edited by souldoubt; 2008-04-29 at 10:44 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

21. - Top - End - #261

Spoiler
    Show
    VersusIntimidate - (1d20+1)[3]

The sailor Ulysses has mistaken for the helmsmen (the helmsman having been recently struck down by Marko's crossbow bolt) falls to the deck, frightened out of his wits. He curls into the fetal position, and the pungent smell of urine mingles with that of blood. Three oarsmen drop their daggers and jump over the port gunnel, into the river, flailing their arms as they fall the short distance feet-first.

One oarsman swings at Sentinel. His dagger slashes the dog across the snout, narrowly missing Sentinel's eye. Sentinel yelps briefly, then sinks his head low, growling as his own blood steadily trickles across his bared teeth and onto the deck.

The fourteen oarsmen who remain standing, two of whom are wounded, crowd into the port bow corner of the rowing deck, daggers at the ready like a circle of musk-oxen.

Behind Althea, however, the two men who were once disguised as guardsmen on the Bridge come out of the stern cabin, both attacking (but not flanking) Althea. As she whirls to face them, one longsword scores her thigh, while she sidesteps the other.

On the bank at the stern of the boat, the oarsman is startled by his boss getting hit by a heavy crossbow bolt, but as he sees Marko whip out his windlass, no longer protected by a giant half-orc, he charges him with his dagger. Marko ducks the attack, but is now facing a man with a dagger while his crossbow is still unloaded.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everybody's on the deck of the boat now, within melee range of everyone else on the deck, except for Marko who is in melee-range combat on the bank, forty feet from the gangplank. FYI: Daryk, if you decide to have Marko reload and shoot his crossbow, his opponent will get 1 attack of opportunity. Drawing a weapon or using an improvised weapon will not provoke an AOO.
    Last edited by Bonecrusher Doc; 2008-04-30 at 09:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

Feel the power of Obad-Hai Entangle you!

Omoris roared, and swung his arms down in a fierce motion ,dropping his sling ot the floor in the process while Sentinel attacked the man that hit him with lightning speed.

Spoiler
    Show
    I hope this works :P. oh, and Sentinel's attack roll (1d20+3)[7] and damage roll (1d6+3)[4] .

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

Althea snarled at the man who struck her with the longsword, bringing her heavy blade to bear. She felt her anger rise at the man as she readied the blade, screaming blood fury as she swung her blade with considerably more force then before.

Spoiler
    Show
    Raging! +4 Bonus to Strength and Constitution. +2 bonus to Will saves as well. -2 to AC though, ah well.

(1d20+6)[11] - Attack Roll.
    (2d6+5)[10] - Damage Roll.

Ow, 7 minimum damage.

Currently at AC 12, HP 13

5 turns remaining of rage
    Last edited by ArtifexFelicis; 2008-04-30 at 02:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #264

Marko

Startled by the man's speed, Marko backed out of the sailor's reach and calmly reloaded his crossbow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Read that as:
    Move Action: Back up 30' away from the charging sailor
    Move Action: Load Crossbow
    Last edited by Daryk; 2008-04-30 at 07:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265

Durx attacks Althea's foes.

All who do not bow before us will be purged from this land.

((Whenever Durx uses any buff on himself, he believes (or maybe it actually does happen) that he is an extension of St. Cuthbert, and thus refers to himself as "we", and he can speak clearly))

attack - (1d20+4)[17]
    damage - (2d6+5)[13]

26. - Top - End - #266
    Orc in the Playground

Realizing his mistake, Ulysses wrinkles his nose and casts about him for another opponent. Just then the door to the cabin bangs open and he whirls around to see the two men who had posed as guards to kidnap Kata.

Ulysses points his sword at one of them. "You there! Stand and fight; I am your opponent!" Then he charges forward into the fray, shield ahead, sword swinging in low in an upward thrust to get under the man's guard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, now I'm expending one use of my Fighting Challenge ability. Ulysses gets a +1 morale bonus on attack and damage against this guy for the next 8 rounds. I've got 2 uses left for the day.

To clarify, Ulysses is charging (assuming there's sufficient space to charge) the "guard" who Althea and Durx aren't attacking.
    Attack - (1d20+8)[13]
    Damage - (1d10+4)[8]
    Last edited by souldoubt; 2008-04-30 at 11:25 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fear the Panda-Fu!

27. - Top - End - #267

Spoiler
    Show
    It's too crowded for a charge, but Ulysses hits with an 11 anyway, as does Althea - the guard guys are Warriors rather than Commoners, but they aren't wearing any armor.

Sentinel snaps at a man, who jumps back to join the defensive ring of his comrades.

When Omoris casts his spell, at first nothing seems to happen on the boat... but there is a tree branch within the spell's casting distance, which elongates and, once reaching the boat, suddenly snakes around the ankles of the group of oarsmen, to their horror. Two sailors manage to leap onto the ladder behind them to elude the grasping vine. The rest find themselves rooted in place on the deck of the boat.

With a fell look in her eyes, Althea repays her opponent fivefold, swinging her blade so suddenly that it catches him in the ribs when he has his arm raised for another blow. He cries out sharply, drops his sword, and falls, his eyes glazed over before he hits the ground.

Ulysses' challenge brings the other opponent to face him, and the knight lunges, too quickly to be blocked, impaling his opponent with the tip of his sword in the solar plexus. As the man gasps and his eyes bulge, Durx brings his massive mace crashing down, smashing him to the deck in a lifeless heap just as Ulysses withdraws his blade.

Amazed by the speed with which Marko reloads his crossbow and levels it at him, the oarsman on the ground looks around quickly, finds himself alone, and decides to drop his weapon, kneeling on the ground and placing his hands on his head.

Up on deck, the two oarsmen who jumped out of the way of the entangling plant decide they've had enough, sheathing their weapons and diving overboard. One other oarsmen breaks free of the clinging plant and follows them into the river, as does the frightened sailor who was lying on the deck in near Ulysses, leaving behind eleven oarsmen, two of whom are seriously wounded, all of whom are entangled, plus those lying fallen on the deck: Finde, one oarsmen, and two men wearing City Guard uniforms.

28. - Top - End - #268

Marko

"Good choice, shipmate. Now, don't move, and you won't get hurt," Marko said, flipping the man's dagger further out of reach with a foot. "Now what?" he thought to himself. Keeping an eye on his prisoner, he cast occasional glances toward the river, where he'd heard several of the other sailors jump. The last thing he needed was to be facing four sailors with a single crossbow.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

Down Sentinel!

Omoris called as he withdrew his sickle. He looked around at the entangled sailors.

That did the trick, didn't it? We won't hurt you as long as you comply.

Spoiler
    Show
    Handle animal check (1d20+5)[12]

30. - Top - End - #270

Sentinel backs off, snarling.

Entangled Oarsman (sounding a little panicked)
    "Get this plant off of us!"