New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Exalted: Old Wounds

Daughter of Unending Tumult

"I know, totally," says Daughter of Unending Tumult, finishing off the bottle she grabbed earlier. So far she has only barely picked at any food. "It's so stupid."

The Smith of Stolen Tongues

"Actually we are mostly hoping to recover some late-shogunate documentation from Ashebenford Castle. There is no real historical record of what happened to the survivors of the Contagion is this area. If they fled or were taken by the Fair Folk, for example," explains The Smith of Stolen Tongues.

Lesia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After a few minutes searching you find Yushoto Michiko outside leaning heavily against an oak tree. She is softly singing a lament in forest-tongue. A sheathed daiklave rests against the tree next to her.
    I'm not wearing any pants.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Pixie in the Playground

On hearing... ah hell. Smith. On hearing Smith talk about Shogunate records, Rana's eyes brightened slightly in spite of her suspicions. Whether it was fascination about the Shogunate or interest in what these death-heads might want with those records was hard to say...

"Oh! Shogunate information from the time of the Contagion? Hmm... interesting. I hear those were rather trying times, then. And a record of that era could provide a few uses to the deft historian - learning of people who might be carrying shogunate remnants well outside the Realm or Lookshy, tracing genealogical lines, especially heretofore unknown Dragonblooded lines... Or maybe even learning about the carriage, conduct, and tactics both in fighting disease and Fair Folk from that era. Just as, if I were not adverse to it, you asked my purpose in Narshe, may I politely ask what you might want this information for? I've... met some researchers before, and it's always easier to work with them once you know their angle, y'know?"

Rana WAS eating during all of this, but it was in some ways hard to tell, like she snuck in bites whenever her conversational partners weren't looking. Spooky. But not as spooky as the guest's possible spooky death ears. Mmm, spooky death ears. Rana would have to remember that - it had just the right echo of cheesiness, yet still expressed her fear they might have some strange death-Anathema Powers of listening.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Banned

Hope she feels like talking.. she doesn't seem to like us much... [i]She cautiously approached; She wasn't trying to evade Michiko's notice so much as not interrupt her singing. When she finishes, she politely claps her hands. "So beautiful.. but such a sad song! Have we fouled our august hosts' mood this much, to sing a song so woeful?"

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tesciam leans back in his chair and stays quite for some time. For the moment, he is content to remain silent, to listen to the conversations and to watch the other guests.

After some time and a few more sips from his wine, he turns to Putrefacted Architect in Flesh and Marrow. "Ahem, so. Wezun said you are a physician, of some kind. What is your speciality? But please excuse my rudeness, my name is Tesciam, son of Batosh of the Four Springs. I've been practicing medicine for quite a few years now, but sadly my work most encompasses pulling tooth, removing warts and mending broken bones. But on the bright side I do come around alot. Where are you from anyway? The last time I have heard of such colorful names such as yours it was related to...Thorns?"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Putrefacted Architect in Flesh and Marrow

At first he seems surprised to have been spoken to, but after a brief awkward pause Putrefacted Architectin Flesh and Marrow speaks, "Oh, I wasn't actually in Thorns, I just did some interior work on Juggernaut. Mostly that is my uhh medical area. Surgeries and re-contructions, I mean. Adding or replacing umm... body... parts, I guess. Wish that I had such easy tasks. Not, uhh, not to demean what you do or anything. I mean, I just would like it if I had more call for... that sort of thing." He uncrosses his arms while speaking, but then can't seem to quite figure out what to do with them. Sometimes beginning a gesture only stop and pull back. He has not touched food or wine that you've seen.

"Personally, my hope is to find some documents that can provide insight into the daily activities and character of the old Kingdom of Ashebenford. It is little spoken of in any histories I know, and so far it seems even the locals can little illuminate what it was like. It is the daily runnings and the idiosyncrasies of life in these lost nations that I find fascinating," The Smith of Stolen Tongues explains to Rana, between polite sips of wine and bites of food. "Though it is the finding of artifacts and filling gaps in genealogies that typically uncovers local cooperation and funding for such expeditions, I will admit. What sort of researchers have you been involved with in the past?"

Varil Wezun

"So Heavenly Gale, as a traveling storyteller you must encounter dangers on the road from time to time. Have you ever studied the martial arts? I ask because your manner puts me very much in mind of a Master I once knew," Wezun speaks with a smile and a bit of obvious amusement. As he talks he takes a small bit of fish in his fingers and attempts to beckon the cat with Tesciam over to him.

Lesia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "None of your leading questions, Investigator," says Michiko without turning around, "Out with it if you've something to ask me."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Banned

Gale

"I suppose I've had to make my way out of the occasional scrape, but I'm not much of a martial artist. You'd be surprised how much the look keeps me out of trouble. People either assume I'm too destitute to provide them anything to rob, which is true, or that I'm some sort of monk or priest. The rest of the trouble is animals and the occasional rowdy spirit, and, well, I prefer to rely on my luck and fast feet in those cases." Gale smiles and takes another sip of his drink. Truth be told, a good deal of his fighting advantage, and that of other Blissful Sages, was that people greatly underestimated them. He didn't like lying at all, except in the context of creative storytelling, but admitting that one knew the secrets of a 'heretical' style was an invitation for trouble, and he was in a very dangerous place to be a heretic.
    Last edited by Brickwall; 2008-02-04 at 10:36 AM.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

With a slight frown on his face, Tesciam ponders the answer Putrefacted Architect in Flesh and Marrow has given him. "Juggernaut, you say. So you've been working for the new "Ruler" of Thorns. I have to admit I'm a bit surprised though. I'm not really involved in politics, but I thought that the relations between Lookshy and Thorns were rather stained, to put it mildly, since the city got sacked. And still you are here looking for cultural artifacts from before the Contagion as guests of our estemed host Varil Wezun, a Lookshy Kazei. How come?"
    Last edited by Segial; 2008-02-05 at 07:27 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Varil Wezun

"Of course, how silly of me. You are only human after all. Perhaps you could grace us with a story?" Wezun says to Gale, with a small smile and a faraway look in his eyes.

"Just contract work," says Putrefacted Architect in Flesh and Marrow in response to Tesciam's question. "I'm not the Mask of Winter's man. My work was all before that. Never really liked him anyway."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

Rana felt a little 'ding!' go off in her head when she heard what Smith wanted the information for. Death-heads want things about dead people. Duh. But... where to lead this?... Immature or not, Rana knew enough to wrap her intentions around a conversation and thus rule it. ...Or try. So with a cheshire smile, Rana leaned over a little and replied.

"Interesting, a true historian? Rare! Hm, hm. Myself, I've dealt mostly with those concerned with the more pragmatic of those concerns - House genealogists, errant Ledaal sorcerors, that sort. Though! I once met this very outspoken Cathak who wanted to uncover the art history of the South... So I have to say, I'm actually rather impressed by your untarnished sense of academic integrity."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

After another sip, a bite of food and a small smile, Tesciam comments:"Contract work, yes I know how that is. I've been doing alot of work for different people as well. I guess we have alot in common in that regard, but while I mostly remove elements from bodies that make people sick, if I understand you right, you add elements to bodies, for your own reasons I guess. I wonder, is there alot of demand for that kind of work? And are you still working as a "freelancer" like myself, or are you someone's "man" now?"
    Last edited by Segial; 2008-02-06 at 07:11 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

"You are too kind, I am not so noble as all that. I seek out lost treasures readily enough, it just isn't makes me passionate about what I do," says The Smith of Stolen Tongues with a small blush at the praise.

"Just replacing parts that have been lost usually. Not much call for straight out additions. More often then not I'm just making something that someone lost for them," says Putrefacted Architect in Flesh and Marrow, somewhat flatly. Almost as though he were depressed about it. "I'm out here repaying a debt, and to help The Smith of Stolen Tongues."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Pixie in the Playground

Rana let a grin creep up her face - but not the catlike one she was wearing earlier, something... that at least looked a bit more earnest and witty.

"Ah, but you see... I'd argue that the reasons in your heart are more important than the whole sum of your actions, no? You gather treasures for profit or use, but at the same time? Your soul is still stirred by knowledge rather than profit, hm? That is, really, good enough!"

Though... Rana figured this was about the right extent for this topic. Like fire dancing from one thing to another, Rana would not stop and be content with one knowledge!

"Hmm... I wonder, how do your companions feel about this? They seem like an interesting bunch, the story of how you got together must be a bit more interesting than, say, a dramatic declaration of intent over a calm brunch at the family Manse or what else the researchers I know usually say is why they set out..."

13. - Top - End - #133
    Banned

Lesia's smile grew wider for a moment at the Dragonblooded's bluntness. THis will be so much easier then I thought.. She settled back a bit, leaning on a wall of the garden. The smile slipped off her face, her head manner becoming sharper, all her attention focussed on the host.

"I thank you for your openness, madam; What exactly is wrong with your other guests? You seem to hold a great deal of.. anger towards us, and I can't help but think they're part of that.. " They're too much like.. that one guy. The one from Sijan..

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Lesia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Perhaps I am just upset at our other guests. I don't think association with Anathema is appropriate, even if there are political ramifications to slaying them. But Wezun always has cared more for politics than for souls..." she drawls, still leaning heavily on the tree. "If you want my advice, you and your little friend from the Realm should not linger here too long. One of the vile creatures left this afternoon, and you probably don't want to be here when he returns." Michiko shudders a little as she says the last.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

While listening to Putrefacted Architect in Flesh and Marrow, Tesciam visibly pales and drops his fork on his plate. After a short moment of consternation, he inspects the food on his plate and states: "Is this carp? How careless of me, I forgot to mention that I'm allergic to carp." He turns to Gale and says, "I'm sorry Gale but it looks like I'll be me missing your tale. I need to get some fresh air, or this could turn...ugly." He stands up, grabs the tabby and quickly bows to Varil and Tarana. "My aplogies, I'll be back in a few minutes", he says and hurries for the exit.

When he reaches the plaza before the mansion, he gives Lesia and Michiko a puzzled look and a small nod, before heading off in the other direction. When he reaches a quite glade in the park, he puts the tabby on the ground and leans against a tree. He closes his eyes and takes deep breaths for around a minute, while the color slowly returns to his face, then looks around to make sure they are alone.

"Ok, lets talk."

16. - Top - End - #136
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Lightning

The tabby sprints behind a tree when Tesciam sets him down and, without ceremony or celebration, assumes his natural form.

"I'm impressed, Lawgiver. The first Solar I met was also the first person to notice that I might not have been what I seemed. I'd ask you how, but we have something more pressing," Lightning says, emerging from behind the tree, a lanky man where the orange cat used to be.

"I need your help."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tesciam smiles and nods when he recognizes the young man he saw at the village earlier. "Ah that's you and yes, I believe we are on the same side here. The stars have foretold great events in this region, but I'm still trying to put together what is going on. I asume that you are here for the deathknights, and maybe you can shed some light on what is happening and why exactly they are here. And also tell me how I can help you.""

18. - Top - End - #138

"I don't know why they are here. I came in pursuit of only the last one, that witch of the Unending Tumult. What she wants is...I honestly don't know. I can't speak to her intentions, or to those of her companions. I've been hunting her on behalf of my patron. I have a debt to repay," Lightning says, rolling up the sleeves of his long, linen shirt to reveal the trademark whorls of silver that brand a Lunar.

"I've heard that the Lawgivers used to specialize in this whole practice, the hunting of dark things. And from what my mentor tells me, the daughter--and her friends--are most assuredly that. Dark, dangerous things."
    Last edited by GryffonDurime; 2008-02-08 at 04:23 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Banned

Oh great. More malcontents mucking with our reputation. What's with these ultra-violent anathema? It can't just be me and Rana as the sane ones, I'm sure.. She ran a hand through her scarlet hair, let it fall down from the buns she had it in. Things were much more serious then she'd thought.. Is that Steel Boot one of these guys? Or are these unrelated mobile disasters.. "...The last of them? I appreciate the concern you show towards my charge, but.. was the last one an even more dangerous anathema? You'll forgive my questions, but.. I worry for the girl. She's still innocent." Sort of..

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tesciam rubs his chin thoughtfully and answers "Other Lawgivers might, but I'm first and foremost a healer, not a hunter. The deathknights are powerful, well armed and at least the fleshcrafter is also a skilled martial artist. As long as they are in the vicinity of Varil Wezun they are untouchable anyway, at least for the two of us. The best course of action right now is to find out what they are up to, and see if we can thwart their plans somehow. And we need to find out who our allies could be in this, there are a few people around that I'm not sure about yet." He looks back to the lights of the mansion shining through the trees.

"Right now, I need you to do something for me though. I need you to sneak into the mansion and find Rowan, and arrange a secret meeting tonight, wherever and whenever she is comfortable with. She'll know a good spot, as she is familiar with the estate, if she is willing to come. I believe she knows more about the deathknights and their agenda, and we might get some honest answers that way. Can you do that?"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

"Oh, I'm afraid our story is rather dull. I've worked with Putrefacted Architect in Flesh and Marrow before so I asked him to assist me, and Daughter of Unending Tumult was recommended by an old patron. And Vitreous Flow of the Labyrinthine River, whom is not here this evening, works for hire. Singular as we may appear our story is rather dull," she says to Rana, chuckling slightly.

Lesia:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Something about him... He has colder eyes than that shambling corpse of theirs," Michiko says quietly, almost like she is talking to herself. "If you're as smart as they say you are, come sun up you'll be gone from this place. Hah, I should get myself to bed before I manage to make any bigger a fool of myself. Good night, dear investigator."

22. - Top - End - #142
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Hound waits till the room has filed out properly then slips out the back and scales up the side of the Inn with a graceful leap. Landing on the roof she crawls into a low position and lets the arched roof conceal her presence as she spies on the happenings down below, looking for the man that caused such a stir.
    A tale set in the Grim Darkness of the 41st Millennium.

23. - Top - End - #143

"If you can tell me where she would be," Lightning says, "I can find her. Though I don't know how receptive she'll be. One Anathema is as bad as the other."

A low whorl of silvery essence washes over Lightning as the man that stood there is replaced by a healthily plump, snow-white strix.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground

Rana leaned back, and sighed.

"...Oh. How disappointing. Ah... Well... was there anything else you felt like speaking of? I fear with the lack of things we have in common on the surface, it's now hard to think of subject matter!"

And the games continued. For now. Rana had to keep some semblance of talkiness going, if only to get the needed information.... And maybe survive the night. Surviving the night is good.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Banned

A good night to you as well, madam Michiko, and I do thank you for the advice." Inwardly, she was unsure. " If they're all like Steel Boot is, we certainly can't beat them all ourselves.. but dammit, he needs to be taken to justice. Though, they all might.. or might not. They really all need looking into.. perhaps the best thing to do for now /would/ be to leave. She stalked back to the dinner table, seating herself with a minimum of ceremony, quietly eating and listening. Perhaps Rana had them communicating on something of import, and if so, that might guide a small, polite question and answer session with Weizun.
    Last edited by Rutee; 2008-02-13 at 10:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Dwarf in the Playground

"She'll be somewhere in the mansion, probably on the other side of it. My guess is that both Wezun and Rowan will try to keep a maximum distance between her and the deathknights. But that is just an educated guess, you'll need to find her the hard way, by checking all the rooms expect those areas we know already. And if you come across any notes from Wezun or the deathknights, that could come in handy as well. But dont take any risks, talking to Rowan is what will really help us right now." Tesciam ponders the situation for a moment.

"I need to get back to the dinner. I'll make something up about where the tabby went, and see you in my room later tonight." He takes a step closer to the strix, kneels down and places his hand on it's head.

"This may help you if you get in trouble, with guards or Rowan, or otherwise," he says. Then golden light shimmers from his palm and seeps into the strix, illuminating it's feathers, veins and muscles for a moment, before slowly fading. The intense feeling of strength and invigouration that accompanied the transformation stays though.

"Good luck, and I see you later." With a last smile, Tesciam turns around and walks back to the mansion.

27. - Top - End - #147

Lightning coos as softly as a stix can in thanks for the blessing, then thrusts himself into the air with a great flap of his new, terrifying wings. Not for the first time, he wonders why he takes any shapes that can't fly--the joy of it all overwhelms every sense. Still, there is work to be done and a bargain to be fulfilled.

Even as Tesciam rejoins the dinner, Lightning takes his time flying through the trees, sizing up the mansion as best he can while in the shape of a large, snowy bird of prey.

I hope they haven't given her one without a window.
    Last edited by GryffonDurime; 2008-02-11 at 06:45 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Lightning:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Only a few windows seem to be open, but around the south side of the building light shines brightly from one particular window. A pair of distinctive voices drift out across the otherwise quiet night. One loud and the other soft, they seem to be arguing in Old Realm. Looking in through the window you can see Rowan angrily working with some martial arts training equipment, while Coal sits nearby speaking softly in what you suspect is intended to be a calming manner.

Back at Dinner:

As the guests who had excused themselves return to the table, Varil Wezun has turned the talk to recent weather and travel conditions.
    "The Court of Seasons and the Wind Masters having been in a bit of turmoil recently, which I expect will start causing some problematic weather before too much longer. The Censors can only keep a lid on things for so long, you know," says Wezun.
    Tarana the Grey responds, saying "I for one think someone needs to step in and do something. The state of some of the terrestrial courts has gotten quite dismal over the last few decades."

29. - Top - End - #149
    Banned

I sense I am being misdirected.. She thought to herself as the most august hosts re-engaged their guests. Or shanghaied.. "I see.. Lookshy usually handles such matters here, does it not? Why have they been so lax? Surely, they must know that the Spirits will, like spoiled children, begin ignoring their parents if not given occasional discipline.." She scanned the table, watching for everyone else's reactions. She still didn't want to be the one who /did/ have to 'smack them back into obedience'.. I know that they're not /actually/ supposed to be in charge..

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

At Dinner

"Lookshy can only do so much, though. Even here we have a somewhat limited influence on the Courts. There are only a few of us out here after all," says Wezun.

"The problem is that the Immaculate Order and the Realm are no longer minding things as they once did, and the mounting chaos in other corners of creation is eventually going to spread even to the areas we can manage," explains Tarana the Grey. "It seems clear to me that local governments in more areas need to be empowered to negotiate meaningfully with the spirit courts. The Immaculate Order can bluster about the proper place of mortals and spirits all they want, but if they can't step up and enforce some their Order something else will simply have to be done."

With a chuckle Wezun says, "Tarana is of proponent of teaching the Root of the Lotus to the unExalted. And while I have trained my share of unExalted, I think she is overly optimistic about their capabilities."

"It seems to me," comments The Smith of Stolen Tongues, "that the possibility of another attack by the Fair Folk would be a greater concern than a bit turmoil amongst the terrestrial gods and elementals."

"The Fair Folk we can deal with. If we start losing crops, or the roads aren't passable for caravans..." Wezun says with a dire note in his voice.

Daughter of Unending Tumult rolls her eyes at the conversation and gives a huge deliberate yawn which, perhaps not unintentionally, shows off her chest to good advantage. Putrefacted Architect in Flesh and Marrow just sits quiety.

Back in Narshe:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you leave the public house you hear gasps and shocked exclamations from a few of the other curious patrons of the public house who also followed to see what was about to happen between the Guild guards and the dark stranger. Reaching the roof and looking down you see the men who followed the dark stranger out; one is embedded deeply into the soil in the middle of the market square with one arm twisted up and away from his body at an angle that should not be possible, another appears to have had his mouth bisected by the edge of the Inn's horse trough and moans slightly amid a spray of his own blood and teeth, and the last is lying in the alley between the public house and Inn bleeding profusely from his empty eye sockets and a small hole in his neck. Those bystanders who have come out seem almost frozen by the scene before them, not immediately even comprehending was they see. The door to the Inn is just beginning to swing shut.