New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Into the Breach: OOC

Thanks. I didn't know which forum it was in.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

Secret Option F, The Steam Group!

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

You're welcome. Happy to help.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Here is the map of keep again (thanks again Bender):
    Spoiler
    Show

You will learn that the exit to the catacombs is beneath the northern tower by the "s" in stone on the map. Above is the merlined wall that connects the central "chain tower" to the fortress. Atop that tower is one of the catapults.

A second catapult is located atop the NW tower (west of the gatehouse). The ballistae are located in the NE tower (east of the gatehouse) and the SE tower (east of the keep house).

The catacombs are tunnels that run up that stone wall that spans the water and comes up under the small twin towers. There is not much of a maze or anything, and it is pretty straight forward: A concealed trap door in the northern twin tower allows access to a stone stairway that leads down over a hundred feet to the dungeon below the walled area proper (West) and towards the east it leads to a secret door that opens in the north section of the merlined wall. The hallway also connects the chain tower with a second secret door near the chain mechanism.

(The map making site is down right now, or else I would put up a map)
    Last edited by Darius; 2008-04-22 at 02:07 PM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Keishara Embermist in A World Bound Together
    Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Bree Yark in Barrowmaze Grp 2
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

4. - Top - End - #274

PirateCaptain

I have sent 3 PMs to Bag_of_Holding to get him to post up, but it appears as though we may have to do without (he has posted in other forums, so I think either his box is full, or he is choosing to ignore me).

As for the description of the hall - I hope it makes sense. The hall is 10' wide, so fighting two abreast is most likely the method one could use. You could roll the oil down the hallway if you would like. There are various crates and other items in the keep you could make a barricade with in the hallway. The pit is a 10'x10' square - above the sconce in the ceiling (10' from the floor) is a metal ring that one could hook a rope to (or through if you wish to do at a distance) to activate the sconce and trap without sacrificing the person whom activated it.

In addition, the party could go in the water tower. The water tower houses the chain. It is a huge and heavy chain that is attached to a winch. Removing the gear lock will allow gravity to take the chain down into the water (thus allowing boats to pass easily). A series of counterweights and levers allows one to pull the chain back without needing giants to do the work. These mechanisms take up most of the "basement" of the chain tower. The tower has several levels where wooden floors separated spotting and sniping stations along the tower. The second floor down acts as a barracks for the tower garrison. The top has the catapult and connects with the wall that heads back to the keep.
    Last edited by Darius; 2008-04-23 at 01:58 PM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

5. - Top - End - #275
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    As for the description of the hall - I hope it makes sense. The hall is 10' wide, so fighting two abreast is most likely the method one could use. You could roll the oil down the hallway if you would like. There are various crates and other items in the keep you could make a barricade with in the hallway. The pit is a 10'x10' square - above the sconce in the ceiling (10' from the floor) is a metal ring that one could hook a rope to (or through if you wish to do at a distance) to activate the sconce and trap without sacrificing the person whom activated it.
    We soooo need to set up the barricade 5'-10' from the pit . To seperate the orcs when they bumrush us. Just watch out for jumpers

In addition, the party could go in the water tower. The water tower houses the chain. It is a huge and heavy chain that is attached to a winch. Removing the gear lock will allow gravity to take the chain down into the water (thus allowing boats to pass easily). A series of counterweights and levers allows one to pull the chain back without needing giants to do the work. These mechanisms take up most of the "basement" of the chain tower. The tower has several levels where wooden floors separated spotting and sniping stations along the tower. The second floor down acts as a barracks for the tower garrison. The top has the catapult and connects with the wall that heads back to the keep.
    Not sure about this part I suspect we'd be easy to trap and get blocked in. Dropping the chain during the attack may be useful or not depending how they cross. I say just make allowances to be prepared.

P.S. What kind of weapons & armor is available? Anything obviously usefull or magical? We should probably leave a few Hvy crossbows (loaded) at the top of the stairs to fire down just drop them when fired. Without leaving extra bolts around to be used against us of course.
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Contact Lost – Zell Melern
    Eberron:TC - Gander Qien
    Into the Breach - Jaxal Pralest
    Familiar - Toby the Cat
    Star Wars: Bounty Hunter - Slaw Nadier
    Greyhawk Adventures - Bonepicker

Imagination is my way to escape your reality!
    -------------------------------------------
    To much DMing and not enough play makes a DM something something...

6. - Top - End - #276

PirateCaptain

It appears as though some are still confused about how the chain works. There is a tower in the middle of the river. (as shown on the map) That tower is attached to the keep via the tunnel through which the party is currently in. This tunnel is inside the wall (marked stone on the map) that connects to the water tower. It is also accessable via the top of that same wall in standard castle wall fashion (parapets and merlins for cover along the top). That wall and the tower is nearly impossible to scale in typical siege fashion.

The tower houses the mechanism that works the chain. The chain has links that are about 2'x1'x1/2'. This chain is permanently affixed to the other side in a stone obilisk-like tower. The chain spans the river right at the river height so that the bowed middle dips into the water. It prevents watercraft from getting through.

Unfortunately, there are only PH non-exotic non-magical non-alchemical non-masterwork weapons and armor available, so plenty of crossbows and bolts. Just make a list of what the party wishes to have and where they will be located.

For instance:
    Lit torch at top of stairs with hand axe and barrel of oil. Two loaded heavy crossbows at top of stairs.

5' crate barricade 10' away from pit on keep side of pit. 2 tower shields on tower side 10' from pit.

Rope affixed to torch pit and hooked on barricade.

etc.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

7. - Top - End - #277
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I'll brainstorm up some of the possibilities I see (I'll try to include what's mentioned before, but probably miss something):

position:
    Mellavin and other fighters in tunnel to hold back main force
    Shep and Best buffed up, trying to stop/stall/exhaust the witch.
    Kirke and Jaxal: either confusing/taking on the which with illusions/other spells

witch:
    attacked by Shep
    anyone who can fly?
    crossbow fire
    confused by illusions
    If she flies low and between walls/towers she could be caught in a web

main orc force through tunnel:
    oil on floor: burn it when enough orcs are on it (can be done several times, but surprise effect is important, since the orcs could light the oil themselves. best done when orcs still think that their plan is unknown and the surprise is on their side)
    oil pored on them and then lit: more difficult, but more effective. Once enough orcs are in the tunnel, maybe stalled behind a barricade, it is difficult for them to retreat and the front runners can be covered in oil.
    caltrops to slow them down (are they available?)
    web: trapping part of the orcs before the web, part in, part behind: the ones before can be taken out more easily (or the oil poring thing, since they can't retreat), the ones in the web can be burned.
    pit trap: already covered by Jaxal: pull rope, orcs fall (are there spears in the pit? we probably don't have time to make some pointy things to fall upon) oil in pit would be nasty, but possibly a waste of oil for only a few orcs.
    illusions: buy time e.g. some zombies to scare/confuse them (especially orc zombies with a single eye ) or the illusion of a stair, with spears hidden underneath.
    bottleneck barrier: a barricade which only a single orc at a time can pass: three of us taking on a single orc with readied actions... and some crossbowmen of course

that's it for now, I have to do some work now
    Last edited by Bender; 2008-04-24 at 06:33 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278

PirateCaptain

Yes, caltrops are available.

For Shep/Best and Kirke and Jaxal...where would they be? Atop the chain/water tower? On the wall connecting the tower to the keep (if so, over the cave with oil to dump down?).

I take it Mellavin, Jaeur, and Griff will be in the tunnel.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

For Shep/Best and Kirke and Jaxal...where would they be? Atop the chain/water tower? On the wall connecting the tower to the keep (if so, over the cave with oil to dump down?).

Just make sure I'm within 60' of everyone! Best to maximize my auras.

Starting Auras: Minor-Watchful Eye (+3 Reflex bonus). Major-Motivate Urgency (+5' base land speed).

Watchful Eye may swap out as soon as we're into melee, in case there're minor spellcasters or some such.
    I figure they may blast prior to engagement, then resort to fear or other effects to demoralize and such... It's what I've got, so it's what I'll do!
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

As it is, Kirke has four spells prepared that is of strategical use. Web, Grease, Silent Image and Ghost Sound. I guess you could maybe use Levitation for something too, but I don't know. Is there a huge block weighing about 300 pounds that can be used to crush someone?

Anyway, I am thinking that Kirke can cast Grease on a set of stairs just as the Orcs are charging up them. If even one of them fails his reflex save, he'll fall and bring down everyone else behind him. That is the plan at least.

Web... unfortunately, it has to stretch from one point to another, so I can't cast it into the air at the witch. It would be useful in the tunnels to create a barrier, and possibly bind a few orcs. But with such a huge amount of Orcs, I'm not sure if that will be the best use of it.

Silent Image. I have one of those as well. Kirke won't create an illusion until she has gotten clear instructions though. I guess it's one of our strongest weapons though. If I just had Major Image, I could create a Dragon but... someone else provide the Ghost Sound?

Alternatively, Kirke can use Ghost Sound if someone else conjures up the Silent Image.

I still have my wand of "Orb of Cold". It's... not very useful in this situation though, unless you need to freeze water.

Anyway, I guess Kirke will be working to counter the witch, which will put her near the top of the tower.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Shep will be outside on the tower top - since he and Best can fly, they can hinder that witch and then fly down the stairs and join the fight. Or they can go down through the chain tower and get the orcs in a crossfire.

Best in close quarters will be doing a lot of tripping, I hope.

I think we should get some reach weapons going so that that first line that comes gets poked. Longspears in the back row is what I am thinking. Those first lines get lots of attacks against them - AoO/readied actions or whatever.

I think an illusion of the cove in a different place would be a good idea at the start. That way, they try and batter down the wall where it is thickest and get pounded by the soldiers on the battlements. Just a thought.

Caltrops is a great idea - lots and lots of them. That weaving barrier is a good idea, too. However, we need to make sure that it is low enough for us to attack over.

That's all I have for now.

EDIT: I lied - I forgot to tell of Shep's spells. I just looked at my sheet to click off the bull's strength and have produce flame and entangle (the latter will only be helpful outside). I do have a heat metal. Most importantly, I have two wands: lesser vigor (for healing) and my ace up the sleeve - faerie fire. I can't wait for that witch to try and be invisible So, to attack her, it will boil down to lots of produce flame balls and Best to do his...best.
    Last edited by Margrave; 2008-04-24 at 09:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I'll start on a suggestion for a plan and see where it goes. Input is welcomed and there is of course no obligation.

first: if anyone has a message spell, this might keep several groups in contact

outside: Shep and Best do what they can to stop the witch, possibly helped by Kirke with frosting and by part of the commoners with crossbows/other ranged weapons

When the orcs get to the secret entrance, Kirke could poor oil on them with levitate, burning bolts or arrows could finish the job. If Shep can spare the time, he can entangle them to prevent them getting out of the burning area (there should be some plants between the rocks).
    Kirke could be on the tower, so she can aim at both the witch and the orcs. When part of the orcs are inside, she can block the entrance with the web (which could be fired afterwards)

inside:
    We need torches on the walls, so everyone can see
    first line: several rows of crossbowmen, that can fire in succession before the orcs get too near. Jaeurs extra speed is a great help to keep a distance. Caltrops slow down the orcs all the way.
    First retreat, behind a halfway barrier behind the pit, when the orc force is on top of the pit, drop them, peppering them with bolts and arrows
    When they get over the pit, retreat and some more bolts and arrows as they climb over the barrier
    further retreat to a bottleneck barrier: 4 or more crossbowmen can have readied actions to shoot what comes through, while other crossbowmen load for the next round, and so forth.
    closer to the barrier: Mellavin and other melee types block anything coming through (here there could be flanking and sneak attacking)
    further retreat up the stairs, where Kirke hopefully is waiting with a well aimed grease

ok, I'm stopping here, any suggestions are good and everyone can find a good spot to be for their PC.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice ideas, Bender.
    Two further questions:
    Anyone have Mage Hand available?
    If yes, can Mage Hand apply the lever for the trap?
    I have returned!! Not that most of y'all know whom I am.

Mega-Awesome Avatar done by Dawn!

The Many Faces of GimliFett.

14. - Top - End - #284

PirateCaptain

Yes, mage hand could move/activate the sconce and I would stretch open/close to do the same in this case.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

15. - Top - End - #285
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Jaxal will be staying in the tunnels. His spells are to short range to get a shot at the witch (most likely) but should be helpfull in penetrating armorclad orc. For the most part I agree with the rest of the basic plan idea. Caltrops is good (I overlooked them ).
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Familiar - Toby the Cat

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I am torn My axes would be put to good use in the tunnels but my bow and dark vision may be better put to use outside shooting down magic users other than that the other thing I worry about is that chain it is a path into the castle as well specially if the orcs can cross the river. I will take which go with which ever group needs me more if neither has a choice I will take up watch on the chain tower with my bow
    Latem Yvaeh

17. - Top - End - #287
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Some more additions:
    reach in the tunnel (idea from margrave): guisarmes for those that can wield them, longspears for those who can't. more readied actions behind the bottleneck baricade and buy time when retreating to next stage. Trip those orcs

Shep's heat metal is probably not very useful against witch, but any obvious orc leader is a nice target

Mellavin also has some spells available:
    He'll cast protection from evil on Shep before he goes after the witch. He also has 2 scrolls of silence. The save DC isn't high, but long range is good and a silent witch is much less of a problem. That puts Mellavin on top of the tower with the secret passage to go down as soon as he cast the silence. The first lines of defence in the tunnel are based on ranged attacks anyway and he's terrible ranged.
    in the tunnel, he can cast bless (all allies within 50 ft, so all commoners and soldiers that we can get down are affected). When melee is upon them, shield of faith on himself and two scrolls of bull's strength (on Jaxal, Jaeur, Griff, or whoever else is down with us) and he can start raging. The scrolls of bull's strength depend a bit on the situation. If we are winning we can save them, otherwise they're a much needed extra.

Jomei: with good ranged and melee, you're useful anywhere, so your choice, goes for anyone of course

edit: we might put some caltrops in the pit as well, and after any retreat we can throw back a fresh batch of them
    Last edited by Bender; 2008-04-25 at 01:37 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288

Griff is undoubtedly in the tunnel. Unless you want him jumping up and trying to reach someone... (If only that Levitate was a fly... He'd be great at grappling a weak caster out of the air )

At the barrier, I can clobber or grapple those that come through. If any particularly nasty orcs come up, I can pin one for awhile. A few turns of pin and most foes will be knocked out. Grapple is great for VIPs.

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

19. - Top - End - #289
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ok looks like we have decent fighter support in the tunnel. I will take up a watch spot on the chain tower that way I can act as back up for Shep and flying Best as well as be fairly close to the catacomb entrance
    Latem Yvaeh

20. - Top - End - #290

PirateCaptain

caltrops are unneeded in pit - it opens up into jagged rocks that act as spikes.

Here is what I have for initial placement:
    chain tower: Shep/Best (flying I assume), Kirke, Mellavin, and Jomei
    Tunnel: Griff, Jaeur, and Jaxal

lit torches in sconces
    oil at entrance to wall (for Kirke's levitate)
    oil at top of stairs
    3 heavy crossbows at top of stairs (no extra bolts)
    3 heavy crossbows at bottle neck (no extra bolts)
    6 longspears
    4 guisarms
    6 light crossbows + 10 bolts each (party)
    caltrops, caltrops, caltrops
    barricade just after pit
    bottle neck barricade after pit barricade

This look about right?
    Last edited by Darius; 2008-04-25 at 09:51 AM.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I think Jaxal will be in the tunnel too, and Mellavin will be on the tower that has the secret door to the tunnel. I thought Kirke said she would be taking on the witch as well, which would put her on the chain tower.

Can we have any support from some of the extra people in the castle, to carry the extra weapons/caltrops, wake up victims of sleep, or ideally even use some extra crossbows. If we could have 4 people proficient with a crossbow in the tunnels, they can all shoot at once: two on one knee, two standing behind them (even non-proficient people will do, or proficiency with other ranged weapons). I guess they could even leave an alley in the middle to retreat and make room for the next line.
    Some extra commoners can still be useful to load extra crossbows for the next round.
    The same crossbowmen could be in a similar position behind the bottleneck, but there the longspears and guisarmes help out too.
    a couple of commoners that just holds longspears at any time behind the first line or behind the barrier behind the pit is already helpful.

I guess the party can already take about half of those positions, but having extra time for special actions can be nice. With proper guidance, and Jaeur should be good at that, we should be able to avoid overcrowding and chaos in our ranks. Anyone losing his/her cool has to retreat.

these posts are getting too long, somebody stop me

22. - Top - End - #292
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

No run with the ball Bender sounds like you have the tunnel defence well in hand. I on the other hand need to find and kill a couple o magic users. I am still trying to figure out what scrolls they scribed to move the troops because I am thinking protection from elements cold or something silmiliar and that they are going to cross the chain while safe guarded from the freezing water but Depending on the level we could be dealing with deminision doors or fly with fireballs
    Latem Yvaeh

23. - Top - End - #293
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LatemYvaeh View Post
    No run with the ball Bender sounds like you have the tunnel defence well in hand. I on the other hand need to find and kill a couple o magic users. I am still trying to figure out what scrolls they scribed to move the troops because I am thinking protection from elements cold or something silmiliar and that they are going to cross the chain while safe guarded from the freezing water but Depending on the level we could be dealing with deminision doors or fly with fireballs
    luckily, we know that they plan to use the secret tunnel. This means they are not relying on mass fly or dimension door, otherwise they wouldn't have to bother with the tunnel. endure elements is what I had in mind too. If so, we can already pepper them with arrows and bolts and it would be difficult for them to bring any kind of siege engine-like protection. Another possibility are feather tokens: swan boat. Burning one of the boats with the oil would decimate their troops and any other boat(s) is not unlikely to flee.

24. - Top - End - #294

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Can we have any support from some of the extra people in the castle, to carry the extra weapons/caltrops, wake up victims of sleep, or ideally even use some extra crossbows.
    No - it will be up to the "magnificent seven"
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

25. - Top - End - #295
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

No - it will be up to the "magnificent seven"

well, XP divided by 7 is better than XP divided by 57...
    But I'm feeling confident, don't you go flying of with that wand of lesser vigor, Shep! Really makes me wonder why Mellavin doesn't have one... heart in the right place, but not too bright I guess .

26. - Top - End - #296

PirateCaptain

Since Irony's mapper is still down, I am trying to get this one to work:

Wizard's Mapping Program:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061121t

Copy this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Corridor Combat,0.1.A.270.368.128.5....,0.15.B.0.192.192.6. ...,0.15.B.0.112.192.7....,0.15.B.0.256.192.8...., 0.15.B.0.320.192.9....,0.15.B.0.384.192.10....,0.1 5.B.0.448.192.11....,0.15.B.0.512.192.12....,0.15. B.0.576.192.13....,0.1.A.90.368.96.14....,0.15.B.1 80.416.112.15....,0.15.B.0.384.112.16....,0.15.B.1 80.384.144.17....,0.8.A.0.336.192.18....,0.15.B.0. 416.144.19....,0.15.B.0.416.144.20....,0.15.B.0.64 0.192.21....,0.15.B.0.704.192.22....,0.15.B.0.832. 192.23....,0.15.B.0.768.192.24....

Put in Import bar after clicking on import icon.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bree Yark in Ages Past
    Jax in Graettin's Wake
    Dweomer
    Grimm Bloodaxe
    Stelios
    Symballine
    Dra'ziw
    Dirge Darksong
    Justin Tyme

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Just so you know, Kirke has prepared Mage Hand in her Domain spell slot.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Since Irony's mapper is still down, I am trying to get this one to work:
    here's another site with the java mapper, that's working for me:
    http://pages.infinit.net/pdclarke/mmee/index.html

29. - Top - End - #299

Hearing about the oil available reminds me of a post I got in a thread I made about this character:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=15

I'm quite proud of this:

WAAAGH!

30. - Top - End - #300
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

See that's why the last Dwarven grappler I made had a Fire Resistance of 10. I used to dump alchemists fire onto myself before battles . When a dwarven pyre (Flaming Dwarf just sounds weird) charges you and tries to hold on you tend not to worry about much else (especially trolls...)
    PC's
    Spoiler
    Show
    Familiar - Toby the Cat