New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Kobolds on a Mission

It's early summer. Much of the mud on the roads has dried, and the flowers are all in full bloom. The sun shines warmly during the day and it is pleasantly temperate at night.

You've traveled north for two days now, you're certain that you should hit the ruins themselves tomorrow. The village of Oakhurst, you've heard, is another day to the north. The road between the ruins and the city is disused, now refered to as the Old Road, with the New Road running east/west through the city.

You have just made camp, and it's time for dinner.
    Poet Laureate of House Kato

I have Ink to thank for my great avatar. Thanks!

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Kobolds on a Mission

Xict-Rict sticks a single paw in his backpack, rummaging around for food. Finding none, he decides he needs the use of both paws to thouroughly examine his pack. It is not until his entire head is subsumed in the backpack that he realises: he did not pack enough food.
    Flatfoot! What were you thinking, packing so little? Nevermind, I'll just have to go find something.
    Stuffing the contents of the pack back in their proper place, Xict-Rict dons the pack, declaring, "I'm going to go find a river, with any luck we'll have fresh fish tonight." And with that, he sets off in to the adjoining woods, looking for any signs of a large body of water.

Spoiler
    Show
    Survival Roll (1d20+8)[11](19)
    "How should I live each tomorrow - like the first day or the last?
    With silence in the sunshine or music in the darkness..." -Awake (Bumblefoot)

3. - Top - End - #3

Squat

Keeping to himself as he has for most of the trip Squat was seated away from the rest of group. His back was turned to the rest of the group, watching the road. In his hand he holds and over sized branch which he has been using to torment a chipmunk earlier in the day.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Esthir

Esthir sat as close to the fire as humanly (well, koboldly, anyway) possible without actually planting himself in the flames. He took a brief break from playing his pipes to wave goodbye to Xict-Rict before taking up his panflute again and resumed picking his way through a simple, cheery tune, interspersed with at least a few flat or off notes.

He wasn't actually very good, his instrument played with energy and enthusiasm rather than skill.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perform: (1d20+2)[17](19)

((EDIT: Huh. Maybe Esthir missed his calling as a bard, if he's gonna roll like that.))
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2008-01-15 at 01:49 AM.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Stirex

"Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but fish sound quite tasty,"
    Stirex says, a bit loudly. A ditherbomb went off on him just last week, and his ears were nearly recovered.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll=Survival]1d20[/roll/

Gah, botched the roll
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2008-01-15 at 02:05 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Stirex

Survival - (1d20)[16]

He follows Xict into the forest in search of water and fish.
    Last edited by MammonAzrael; 2008-01-15 at 02:07 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7

Zairrex
    "Good luck, Xict-Rict" calls Zairrex after his departing comrade, while he rummaged through his bag, looking for something.

"Crossbow Frame, Hammer, Cello, Pickaxe..." he muttered, taking out the mentioned items as he went. "Ah, wire!" he finally exclaimed, producing the spool of trip wire.

He'd found a nice comfy spot to relax in later, (he'd spent nights sleeping on the workshop's cold stone floor before, and a little dirt was nothing through) and he was in the process of tapping in a few pegs around the campsite and running tripwire around to a bell next to his ear.

He returned to his possessions, thinking aloud. "Why were the elders speaking in the language of the others? Do they mean to insult our heritage?" asks the trapsmith to nobody in particular, as he stuffs his things back in the bag, pausing at the Cello.

The alarm was ready anyway, and why not?

He sat down near Esthir on a rock, planting the point into the dirt, and begins playing along with his comrade.

Spoiler
    Show
    Craft - (1d20+14)[18]
    Perform - (1d20+4)[14]

EDIT: Er, yeah. He's actually got a Cello. He used to have an Oboe, but I changed it.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2008-01-15 at 02:49 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

There is a fairly fast moving river not far from where you stopped, it doesn't take long at all for Xict-Rict and Striex to find enough fish for the group.

-Walt Disney

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Kekra also mostly kept to herself. She could've just as easily broken out some trail rations, but waited to see what Xict and Stirex would forage, and whether or not she could mooch off of them first. Otherwise, she took note of her many comrades for this journey to see who she could rely on. Mostly she just kept quiet and played the role of shy, easily impressed kobold girl, just so she would be underestimated for now.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Jekran

Jekran does not say or do anything as his fellow party members unpack for the day. He simply lays down his backpack and sets up his bedroll near the roots of a tree. After doing that he goes off to hunt some Mushrooms and tubors for his own personnal food supply.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Survival Check" - (1d20+7)[17]
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

11. - Top - End - #11

Esthir

When the two kobold hunters return, Esthir paused in his duet - flashing Zairrex a smile as he did; few enough kobolds were interested in music - and cheered aloud whimsically: "Fish! All hail the mighty hunters!"

His tongue flicked out in anticipation, and he tried to give the pair puppy dog eyes from behind the smoked lenses of the goggles he wore even at night, obviously pleading for a share of their bounty. For fish - of which he was very fond - he had no problem debasing himself a little.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Devil

Xict-Rict
    "Lovely, Esthir. You convey the pride and honor of our Dragon ancestors so well, I'm tempted to give you a double share. Too bad there's not enough for that."
    With that remark, Xict-Rict dropped the net, which was filled to the point where everyone could have seconds, on the dirt. He grabbed a stick off the ground, and skewered one of the bigger morsels on the branch. Holding it over the fire, Xict-Rict announced "Feel free to eat it however you like, but don't expect me to play cook every night," He said with the Kobold equivalent of a grin.

13. - Top - End - #13

Jekran easily finds some mushrooms and grubs, as well as a patch of early berries not very far from the camp site.

-Walt Disney

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

((OOC: Tubors are the root of a plant, and are edible. Not worms. Just saying))

Jekran grabs some berries and the mushrooms, but leaves the grubs. Holdng them up to his nose, he tries to determine if they're poisonous.

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll= Knowledge(Nature)]1d20+3[/roll]

* post roll count doesn't match database

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

((OOC: Curses! I was foiled by the roller, and I don't even know what postroll count even means!))

Knowledge - (1d20+3)[21]

16. - Top - End - #16

Esthir

"Pride and honor, thats me," Esthir agreed happily before snagging a fish and a stick for himself. He held it out before him, facing away from the camp, and drew in a huge breath.

When he exhaled, flame erupted, charring the fish black in a handful of seconds.

Spoiler
    Show
    Flame breath: (1d6)[3](3)
    Take that, fish!

He bit into his blackened fish with gusto, crunching happily.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

You're right of course, my bad. You find tubers in addition to the mushrooms and berries. The survival check you made counts as to them being safe to eat, although you're happy to roll the nature check as well.

-Walt Disney

18. - Top - End - #18

Devil

"Oh, are we showing off now? Well then, allow me..."
    Xict-Rict flicks the cooked fish up over his head. The food reaches its apex, and begins to plummet toward the dirt, only to be caught by what appears to be a scaly hound. Shifting back to a Kobold, Xict-Rict bites down on the fish and tears a chunk out of it.
    "So, who's next?"
    Last edited by Mephe; 2008-01-15 at 08:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Jekran

Jekran happily munches into one of the mushrooms, Before adding them into a pile of top of his bedroll. He then walks over to the fire and grabs a fish and begns cooking it with a stick.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Kekra smiles sweetly and grabs her fair share of the fish. "Thank you very much." she says sweetly in what a kobold would find to be an attractive voice, but once the showing off starts, she goes off towards the edge of camp, avoiding the macho displays.

21. - Top - End - #21

Zairrex
    Zairrex laughs, putting down his Cello as the others play with the fish. Picking up a stick, he sharpens it to a point before impaling one of the fish on it.

"I would, comrade, but weight was at a premium and I haven't the bolts to spare."

Using a couple of sticks and a bit of twine, he props the fish up over the fire, using a largish stone tied to the other end as a counterweight, turning it every now and again with his foot.

Picking the Cello up again, he continues to play.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Stirex

Stirex laughs at the displays, spitting several fish to roast over the campfire. "Well this should prove to be a fun outing!" He happily munches some fish before bedding down for the night. "I'll take last watch!"

23. - Top - End - #23

Zairrex
    Zairrex looks up.

"I, at least, am always on watch." he says, simply. He hadn't forgotten that there was a tripwire running around the camp rigged to a bell.

24. - Top - End - #24

Squat

Once the excitement dies down he walks over to the remain few fish sitting now in the mud. He brings his club down on it's head reducing it to fish paste. He holds the club over the fire just long enough to cook it and then he goes back to sitting by himself picking squished fish off his club.

He also sits up for a while watching over the camp.

25. - Top - End - #25

Esthir
    Quote Originally Posted by pingcode20 View Post
    Zairrex
    Zairrex looks up.

"I, at least, am always on watch." he says, simply. He hadn't forgotten that there was a tripwire running around the camp rigged to a bell.
    "Okay then," Esthir declares. "I'll leave this critical task in your capable hands." And he was most definitely not saying this just because he wanted a full night's sleep. That would be ridiculous. Esthir would have to be some kind of derelict, shiftless layabout to - oh, right. He is.

The Dragonfire Adept finds his bedroll and within moments is completely ensconced in its bright blue fabric. His voice drifts out of his cocoon of cloth: "The ruins are nearby, right? We ought to come up with some kind of plan before we get there. I don't much like the thought of trying to fight our way through an entire tribe of goblins."

Within moments he is asleep, seemingly without a care in the world.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

Zairrex
    "Come, Comrade Esthir. There are enough of us to do 4 two hour shifts, and I do not believe any of the sorcerors have expended their magic - we can have two people awake and still all get six hours' sleep. Stirex has already volunteered for the morning. I will take first shift."

Zairrex calls after Esthir, running off to bed.

"Okay, you can have second shift if you are tired already."

Looking around, he noticed Kekra sitting off to the side on her own. Didn't she know it was dangerous being away from the group so close to the lands of the goblins?

"Kekra, stay closer to the fire - we do not want to lose you because some goblin found you away from the group."

Turning back to his food, he put down his Cello and began eating the slightly charred fish. "You are still full of energy, are you not, Xict-Rict? You can take first watch with me."

27. - Top - End - #27

Devil

"Why not, I have nothing else to do. The rest of you better sleep well, becuse I won't hesitate to change shifts in two hours."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Jekran tears a strip of meat of the fish he was cooking with his teeth. After chewing loudly and swallowing, he clears hs throat and speaks. I will take Second watch. Wake me when the moon reaches there. He points to a location next to two stars. He then finshes his fish, stuffing his excesses mushrooms and berries in his backpack. After that he grabs some sticks and leaves and stuffs them into his bedroll and places it near the fire. He then grabs a tree branch and tries to swng himself up.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Climb check" - (1d20+1)[14] Hopefully, that makes it up a branch.
    Last edited by Copacetic; 2008-01-16 at 09:26 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Devil

"Sily fool," Xict-Rict whispered to Zairrex. "Does he not know that the stars are restless and constanly moving through the heavens?"

30. - Top - End - #30

Spoiler
    Show
    Correct me if I'm wrong, I make this

1st watch: Zairex and Xict-Rict
    2nd watch: Esthir and Jekran
    3rd watch:
    4th watch: Striex

-Walt Disney