New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: [fitd]: FREEDOM CITY! [Issue #1: Let's get Kraken!]

"Okay, lets look at what we've got," Fireblade says. "Five superheroes - hi, by the way, name's Fireblade - with accompanying powers including beating people up and the ability to teleport to the bad guys."

"They've got a bunch of freaky space aliens and Davy Jones, a spaceship, and the ability to isolate Freedom City's communications," he finishes summarizing. "So, I guess the last question is what do they want. If the answer's 'trouble', and it probably is, I say we portal over there and start going Will Smith on 'em."
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Apex nods at Aesir when he's finished explaining himself, and then listens to everyone's suggestions.

"Well I can fly up there if you cannot teleport us all. Maybe it would be a good idea for me to fly up and distract them while you guys teleport or portal in, that way you can really get the jump on them? Whatever we do, I suggest we hurry, as we don't want to give space pirate scum any time to initiate their plans...I've dealt with their types before..."
    Last edited by SuperMuldoon; 2008-02-09 at 11:49 PM.
    Thog fan 4 life

Helios avatar by The_Architect

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

"I don't think that's a good idea, Apex. They'd see you coming, and if these guys are anything like real pirates, the ship'll have space cannons or something, and you'd be using downtown Freedom as a backstop. This way, at least, we'll only have to worry about the crew."
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-02-09 at 11:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    By simple I meant devoid of markings. I now realize that I could have been more clear about that. Stylistically think like the tunic Thor is wearing in this picture. Is that good or are you really adamant about the spandex rule?
    Woot! I like the Tunic! I've been solid with the "no plain clothes" thing for everyone else, so I have to stick with that. (Fireblade wanted platforms with goldfish in the heels, and I had to veto that, so I don't want him thinking I'm playing favorites )
    let's go with the tunic and the belt, and say black spandex pants? They're essentially really tight jeans. Add some footwear (or not) and you're good to go!
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Spoiler: DON'T LOOK! IT'S A TRAP!
    Show
    Spoiler: DON'T DO IT!
    Show
    Spoiler: LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY!!!
    Show

Awwwwww, that's just... Well, I did warn you.

5. - Top - End - #95

The powers of Thor? Hm...

"Like I said, I can get us all there." Soul looks thoughtful. "I have area attacks, and between Tom's water control, Firblade's, um, fire blade, Tempo's speed, Apex's abilities, and Aesir's...big hammer, I'm guessing? We can probably take these guys. Or maybe Tempo could run around the ship and tear it apart nail by nail, or...well, any number of possibilities, but we kinda need to know what level of force to use against these guys. I don't want to blow up their ship and find out later they were just misunderstood, or something like that."

((Since Tempo hasn't told us one of the pirates tried to shoot him, Soul doesn't know they're hostile. Other than that...Is it permissible for her to use her Master Plan feat?))
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

6. - Top - End - #96

Um... is it really a good to just walk up to these guys and hope for the best? I've gotten used to be one big me shaped piece and I'd kind of like to stay that way. We could try and sneak on to scout out some information or I don't know, maybe split into two groups so we have something to fall back on. Does anyone have a way of communicating across long distances?

Very heroic Erik, why don't you whine more?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well, some tentacle-faced guy on the ship took a shot at me, so I'm pretty sure this isn't some kind of Three's Company thing. And Aesir's right that we need more information about these guys before we start breaking stuff. Hmm. Hey, Soul, didn't you say that you could spy on faraway places? That'd come in handy."

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    "Well, some tentacle-faced guy on the ship took a shot at me, so I'm pretty sure this isn't some kind of Three's Company thing. And Aesir's right that we need more information about these guys before we start breaking stuff. Hmm. Hey, Soul, didn't you say that you could spy on faraway places? That'd come in handy."
    So they shot at him? Yeah, definitely hostile.
    "Excellent point. Give me a few seconds."

Soul sits down on the sidewalk, makes fists with her hands, closes her eyes, and concentrates, trying to see and hear what's going on the ship.

((Using ESP.))

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

9. - Top - End - #99

Some reconnaissance eh? Well, I'll see what I can see as well.

Apex focuses his visual sensors up at the ship, looking for who the crew is and what kind of gear they are packing.

((Using Super Senses: Visual extended))
    Thog fan 4 life

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

You both see essentially the same thing: the deck of the ship, but now the pirates are building something on it. The "something" is a large gadget, like wedding cake, but with glowing lights on it. It's probably projecting the field of energy around the city that's cutting off communications. Pirates are sticking cylinders into it, possibly power-batteries.

Soul:
    below decks you can see more. The ship is larger inside than outside, it seems. This makes scrying/sensors harder to handle, but you can tell there are more pirates below decks. They've got lots of crates and things like it below decks.

The pirates are wearing armor and have various energy weapons. One has a sort of space-accordian, and is playing it while dancing a jig; it seems to make the other pirates feel better.

Oddly enough, neither of you can see the tentacle-faced guy.
    Last edited by fireinthedust; 2008-02-11 at 11:16 AM.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101

((Can Soul's knowledge of Technology help her figure out what the pirates are doing?
    Also, my earlier questions still stand. About whether we've heard of these guys, or if I can use Master Plan...))

"The pirates seem to be building something on the deck. Below the deck, the ship seems to be like a TARDIS - larger on the inside than the outside." Oh yeah, smooth move there, using a pop-culture reference. Dumbass. "More guys down below, anyway, though I couldn't find any tentacle creature.
    These pirates appear to be equipped with energy weapons, and armored. I'm open to suggestions."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

What's a TARDIS? thinks Fireblade, who should watch more television.

"Well, whatever they're building up on deck can't be good, if they're hostile alien invaders," Fireblade says. "I suggest we port up there and destroy it before they can finish."
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103

"Whatever that device is, I'm willing to bet it will do something bad for us. I can't believe I'm suggesting this, but what if I took one or two people as back up and 'ported directly into the crews living quarters as a distraction?" Aesir motions towards Soul "Then you could take the remaining group members to either destroy or steal the device."
    Last edited by Da Beast; 2008-02-12 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Just some minor grammar corrections. Ignore the man behind the curtain.

14. - Top - End - #104

"The inside of the ship is a Titan Advanced Repeating Dominator Integrated Superstructure?!?" Apex's jaw drops in shock. I can't believe these pirates have access to some of the most devestating technology that shouldn't even be around yet!

Apex doesn't get the reference.

"Splitting up could be risky...especially when they have a TARDIS, but great risk finds great reward...or so I've heard. If we do choose to split up we should break the squads up so they are most balanced. If we are going to stay together then it would be best to assign roles for each of us, like who will hold off the pirates and who will destroy the device. I'm sorry if I speak the obvious, but it is best to be all on the same page."
    Thog fan 4 life

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Tempo looks around nervously at Apex's reaction. "If they've already got a weapon like the Titan thingee, then whatever they're building could be even more dangerous. We'll have to plan this carefully."

Looking at Soul, Tempo says, "I should probably be in the distraction group. Anything more complicated than internal combustion and I get dizzy. And since Apex already knows about the pirates' technology, he should probably be one of the guys to take apart whatever they're building."
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-02-13 at 02:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Right, so let's go with me, Apex, Thames, and Soul up top, and Aesir and Tempo on Team Decoy. Soul and I will keep the pirates busy while Apex dismantles the thingummie. Sound good?"
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2008-02-13 at 03:11 PM. Reason: I totally DIDN'T forget Thom this whole time.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107

Hoo-kay...Wrong crowd for a Dr Who reference, apparently.
    "I'm afraid you misunderstand. I didn't say they had a TARDIS, just that it was a bit like a TARDIS in certain respects - and, from your decomposition of the acronym, I don't think we're talking about the same thing."
    That last part had been aimed at Apex. "And honestly, I'm not too keen on dismantling that device until we know what it is. I mean, for all we know, it's an anti-matter container or some junk like that." They don't know Dr Who, and you're assuming they all know what anti-matter is? "I mean...for all we know, it might be something that's even more dangerous destroyed than operational.
    Other than that...Sure, sounds like a plan. Aesir teleports himself and Temo below decks; Tempo starts sowing chaos, while Aesir wrecks what he can. Meanwhile, Fireblade, Thames, Apex and myself will go above deck with a portal; I'll open it in such a position that once we step in, our back will be to the device, so that they might hesitate about shooting at us. Once we're there, I'll send a big blast to the right, Thames will sweep everything to the left, and Apex and Fireblade will rush forward or hit anyone who happens to be in melee range. How does that sound?" Oh, I did NOT just try to improvise something like this. RIP, Freedom City.

((So, if we go for that, does Master Plan apply...?))

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Well, Apex can use his tricorder to scan the thing, or something." Fireblade has no idea how the guy's suit works, of course, but is making what he regards as reasonable assumptions. "But yeah, you, me and Thom will hold the pirates off. And if Aesir and Temp' get into two much trouble downstairs, they can just run or port up to meet us."
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sounds good. Aesir, try to bring us as close to as many pirates you can. We don't want to give them room to, you know, shoot us."
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-02-13 at 03:23 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

Apex looks at Soul, "So your saying that they have a different kind of TARDIS? Well...if that's the case then it is all the better, I don't know how we would have survived otherwise!" Apex lets out a sigh of relief I have to try to remember that things are different here...I wonder what kind of TARDIS she means?

Apex listens to all the plans, nodding his head. "I am pretty good with technology, so assuming everything goes to plan, if I can get a few minutes I might be able to deduce just what they have up there, and what the next course of action is, because if it indeed contains anti-matter like Soul says, or one of the various other kinds of unstable matter, we need to be careful. If it requires dismantling or disarming, well I can attempt that as well. As for my 'tricorder'," Apex smirks at Fireblade, "It might help, but I don't think it works the way you think it does. So as for my part, we clear the top deck and then I'll get to work on the device while you cover me?"
    Last edited by SuperMuldoon; 2008-02-13 at 03:49 PM.
    Thog fan 4 life

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

ooc: I'm here, just let me know when Thunderbirds are *go!* and I'll go with your plan.

btw: as a player, this sort of "come up with a hairbrained scheme to get the baddies good" is one of the best parts of rpgs. I think.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Right," Fireblade says, drawing his sword. "Let's play Space Invaders."

(Ready to go when the 'porters are.)
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113

All right...Guess we're really doing this.
    Buckle up, girl. Screwing up is not an option.

"All right then. I'll open the portal as soon as you port in."

((Soul will open the portal like she said, then go and use her AoE blast power, like she said. Also, using Master Plan to help the group:
    Master Plan - (1d20+5)[24]))

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

"Err, shouldn't you wait a few seconds after we go? I mean, if we're supposed to draw the pirates away, then we should give them time to do that."

As the two heroes pop into the ship, Tempo reacts instantly, running around and stealing as many guns as he could from the surprised pirates. "You guys won't be needing those where you're headed."

((Either way, Tempo will use Rapid Attack to make a Disarm attempt against all pirates within 50 feet. I'm assuming that the pirates are minions, so I'll take 10 on the attack roll for 22.))
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-02-14 at 12:10 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

"You should probably wait at least 20 seconds before opening your portal so the pirates have time to respond to us" Aesir grabs Tempo's wrist and pushes the two of them across space to appear in the middle of the relaxing pirates.

Long range teleport is a full round action so I can't do anything else this round. Knock 'em dead, Tempo.

26. - Top - End - #116

"Point taken. We'll give you...15 seconds."

((Other than that, actions remain the same.))

27. - Top - End - #117

Apex stretches out and gets loose.
    "Ah...this brings back memories of Klakson Delta..."
    Thog fan 4 life

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

The teleport takes effect, though for some reason the 'port is rougher than usual; bit of a ripple. Tempo and Aesir find themselves below decks, in a large hold filled the the strange alien pirates. One of them, a short fellow with a frog-like face, is in the middle of pumping out the part of the sailing song that goes "oh I never, ever, ever do a thing about the weather..." when he stops playing and looks at them.

Tempo races around and grabs a whole bunch of guns from the shocked pirates. To a man, they react by pulling cutlasses from their belts and yelling Yaaaar! before attacking!

Soul et al: the second party waits 15 seconds before teleporting onto the deck of the ship. The pirates there are racing downstairs, yelling something about how "we be unner attack!" and "Yar, let's keel-haul somthin'!"
    However, several of them stop (as 15 seconds isn't a lot of time to react to something on another floor of a house let alone a space-pirate ship) and look at ye... before drawing cutlasses and attacking!

ooc: before ye ask, there are 4 pirates on deck.

initiative please :)
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

((Initiative (1d20 45=60)))

"Suprise!" Tempo dumps his big pile of guns on the ground, and whirls around the hold again, dealing dozens of blows to the encircling pirates. He pauses for a subjective moment at the singing frog, then hits him anyway.

((Attacking everyone within 40 feet.

Attack Roll (taking 10): 10+12=22))

((Also, literary allusions are fun!))
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-02-15 at 09:23 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120

((Initiative - (1d20)[9]))
    Seeing the relatively small number of foes on deck, Soul will try to get as many as possible with her cone blast. If there are any to the right, she'll aim there, so as to leave the rest of the group room to work on those to the left and front.

((Area blast, rank 10. Also, keep in mind that all of us have a +2 to attack rolls and skill rolls for the next 3 rounds, and +1 the round after it.))