New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [fitd]: FREEDOM CITY! [Issue #1: Let's get Kraken!]

((Initiative (1d20 45=63)))

Tempo takes in the scene in front of him in an instant. With incredible speed, he tries to rain dozens of blows down on the tentacle-faced pirate.

((Attack Roll (1d20 12=19)))

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Initiative (1d20 6=8)

Fireblade is startled somewhat by the Captain's change in attitude, and struggles to get his blade up quickly.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Initiative - (1d20+6)[22]

Apex moves into position, raises his fists, and fires off a blast of yellow crackling energy at the squid faced space pirate.

Attack - Blast - (1d20+9)[20]
    Last edited by SuperMuldoon; 2008-02-26 at 05:34 PM.
    Thog fan 4 life

Helios avatar by The_Architect

4. - Top - End - #154

Oh no you don't!
    Without moving from her spot, Soul uses her telekinesis to raise the cutlass dozens of feet in the air, preferably holding it in a spot not above the deck.

initiative - (1d20)[10]
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

5. - Top - End - #155

Initiative - (1d20+1)[21]

Aesir stops for a moment to take in the situation before letting loose with a blast of lightning.

attack - (1d20+8)[26]

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

Tempo: 63
    Aesir: 21
    Apex: 20
    Kraken: 12
    Soul: 10
    Thames (DM rolling for you to move this along, after doing the saves for Tempo and Brennus and Apex; basically you're not missing much!): 9
    Fireblade: 8
    Bugs: 7

Tempo zips around the captain, making noises using the pirate's head that sound like bullets in a steel box. Kraken reels from the hits, stumbling out of the speedster's range in time for Aesir to strike with a lightning bolt. The air is ionized as the lightning bolt hits the captain; only with great effort does he shrug off the effects of the bolt, but in another moment Apex fires his yellow beam.
    *hack* *wheeze!*
    the mighty pirate waves his hand in the general direction of his cutlass, then falls to the deck.

All seems over... until the chittering screech from below pushes its way through the deck. Four of the giant bugs crawl up through the hole they carved, hungry for the blood of heroes!

((round two, please!))
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Spoiler: DON'T LOOK! IT'S A TRAP!
    Show
    Spoiler: DON'T DO IT!
    Show
    Spoiler: LAST CHANCE TO LOOK AWAY!!!
    Show

Awwwwww, that's just... Well, I did warn you.

7. - Top - End - #157

Soul begins sighing in relief when Kraken is knocked out. Thank goodn...
    ...then the giant bugs come in, and the sigh turns into an odd-sounding cough.
    Whaaaaa?! Oh come on!
    All right...They're all grouped together, I should be able to get them with one wide shot...
    ...Wait. What if they're sentient, and it kills them?
    ...I used an area shot on the pirates, and they were definitely sentient.
    But still...

Finally, she raises her hand in the direction of the nearest bug, and says "Freeze."

Spoiler
    Show
    Using the Paralyze power. Also, still using Telekinesis to hold the cutlass waaaay away from anyone's reach.
    attack roll - (1d20+1)[12]

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, great. Well, let's hope this works as well as Big 'N Norse's little trick.

Almost instantly, Tempo is next to one of the bugs, raining dozens of mach speed punches on it before appearing next to Soul, Fireblade, and Apex. "Er, hi. This might be kind of our fault."

((Attack Roll (1d20 12=20)))
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2008-03-01 at 07:47 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159

Apex steps back in shock as four alien bug things crash through the deck.

"Er, hi. This might be kind of our fault."
    "Don't worry about it...one thing I've learned from being in space is that if it's not space pirates, it's going to be space bugs." Apex says as he steps into the fray and lets fly with a haymaker at the closest bug.

Attack - Melee - (1d20+9)[11]
    Thog fan 4 life

10. - Top - End - #160

Guess I could have thought that one through a bit more

Aesir takes aims and lets loose with another blast of lightening

Attack Roll - (1d20+8)[13]

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Fireblade looks around at the rapid changes to the battlefield and opponents, shrugs, and goes to swing at a space bug.

Look, I know they're bugs. Do nonlethal damage anyway.

Attack (1d20 10=11)

Hey! No pouting in the middle of combat! he thinks, as the sword misses handily.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

ooc: Thames still with us? I want to give him one more chance.
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooc: Well, that's enough time (and I have the day off!! woo!), and now with the posting!

bug toughness save, btw: 1d20+4=13

IC:

Tempo zips over to the first bug, raining down numerous punches on it. He succeeds in slaming it over and over, a high-pitched whine filling the air as it screeches. Its massive head whips around a moment before it falls to the ground.
    Aesir strikes a second bug with a bolt of lightning, enough to fry it and send fiery globs of green puss flying in all directions. It lands in a wet pool next Fireblade's pirate, its acid blood melting the corpse.

Apex takes the hint, throwing out some witty reparte... and a horribly mis-aimed haymaker at one of the space-bugs! Fireblade follows, likewise missing terribly, and communing with his sword. The bug skips up and dodges both your attacks, making an insectoid chuckling noise as two heroes fail to squish it.
    Fireblade: you get a dignified *! in response from the sword. Were it a woman, you may need to buy it flowers and a corsage.
    The bug lunges at Apex, its sharp talons attempting to pick up the time traveller and snap him in twain... His failed punch swung him around, however, and out of the way; the insectoid mantible-teeth scrap across his back, leaving green puss in a line across it.

Soul handily dangles the sword in the air. While Kraken is fallen, the bugs are snapping at anything that's glowing and shiney (ie: the sword). Two of them are trying and failing to get it, enthralled like bugs can get when looking at a fly-zapper.

Next round?
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Tempo notices Apex's near miss with mitosis, and quickly moves in to assist. Unfortunately, he slips on a pile of pirate intestines, and ends up in a hypersonic slide into the ship's sides. Thankfully, his inhuman resilience prevented any serious injury, and all the accident cost him was time-and pride.

((Attack Roll (1d20 12=13)))

15. - Top - End - #165

Huh. Maybe I could...kill several birds with one stone.
    Hovering closer, Soul tries to place the cutlass right above the two bugs...then open a portal to Castle Nexus beneath their feet, letting both the bugs and the sword fall down into her pocket dimension.

((Using the Pocket Dimension power, and using the sword as bait to position the bugs where I want to open it - as opposed to, you know, trying to open it where they are.
    Also, keep in mind Castle Nexus, as Soul's HQ, has its own defense system. ))

16. - Top - End - #166

Aesir hovers into the air and charges forward, smashing into one of the bugs

Charge Attack - (1d20+10)[20]

"After I tried to help you this is how you repay me? Do you have no concept of gratitude?!"

17. - Top - End - #167

Apex feels the scraping of the space bug mandibles on his back, and looks over his shoulder to see the goo marring his otherwise spotless power suit.

"What...whats this? Aw man, not this gunk again...it takes forever to remove, and it starts to smell...great just great, I don't think this time has any official FFP equipment cleaning stations! I'm holding you responsible Kraken, you squid faced pirate!"

Apex maneuvers into position near the bug that left the green goop on him and prepares to deliver an uppercut of retribution!

Attack - Uppercut - (1d20+8)[23]
    Last edited by SuperMuldoon; 2008-03-06 at 11:46 PM.
    Thog fan 4 life

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Fireblade simply sighs, and picks out a bug that hasn't been finished yet to take another half-hearted swing at it.

Attack Roll (1d20+10=13)
    (DC 25 Toughness if it's like, I dunno, Stunned already and that actually hits.)
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

All the bugs who are directly struck fail their Toughness saves; those snapping at the "pretty glowing thing" fall for Soul's trickery and are sucked through a dimensional portal to... well, you know.

ahem.

The heroes stand victorious over the bodies of their foes, on the deck of a ship that flies their home city through space. The formerly huge Orb-that-is-Earth is shrinking fast behind them.

ooc: speeding things up here and taking a few liberties... although if you lot have a different way you'd handle it, feel free to tell me.

IC: The heroes search the ship for the control center, the bridge, and find this room http://bravofleet.com/pegasus/images/bridge-9.gif. Taking up positions in the various important-looking seats, the team works the controls and brings the ship around. Soon Earth comes into view, and with deft piloting (um, well, actually Aesir whacks the controls with his hammer) the city is planted *almost* exactly the way it was before it was taken. There are a few sliced trees, and sewer lines going to nowhere... and the shoreline will never be the same, but other than that: FREEDOM CITY IS BACK AND SAFE!!!

Oddly enough, Kraken is nowhere to be found. The ship is turned over to the authorities, though, who clean the deck and put it on display in the Freedom City Museum.

Thames has gone missing.

**** later that day *****

Returning back to Freedom Hall, you are greeted by Ms. Gardener. She is glad to see you, but there is some worry in her expression she can't seem to hide.

Congratulations, Freedom Leaguers. I think it's safe to say that Freedom is in good hands. Welcome aboard!
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

Tempo barely restrains himself from jumping for joy.

"This is great! I can't wait to tell my family. Hmm. Wait a sec." Tempo suddenly speeds off.

*eight seconds later*

Tempo reappears as quickly as he vanished. "So, now that we're on the team, what happens next?"

21. - Top - End - #171

We did it. We saved the day. But...
    We won. We beat a supervillain - an alien pirate, to boot - and saved the entire freaking city. But...
    We're shoe-ins for the League now. It's a big victory we won back there. But...

Quote Originally Posted by fireinthedust View Post
    Returning back to Freedom Hall, you are greeted by Ms. Gardener. She is glad to see you, but there is some worry in her expression she can't seem to hide.

Congratulations, Freedom Leaguers. I think it's safe to say that Freedom is in good hands. Welcome aboard!
    "...Then why is it I can't shake this feeling of failure?" Soul looks somewhat gloomy. "Never mind that Kraken escaped. But back there...He gave us an ultimatum. He had this device that could destroy the city, and he threatened to do it unless we surrendered.
    I blasted it out of his hand. It worked, but...It could easily have failed. I endangered four million people because I was in a hurry to get out of a bad situation."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Ms Gardener nods solemnly at Soul's story. A hero's life is dangerous. You have to take risks, though I'm glad you're considering the consequences of your actions. It worked, and we're all grateful. Otherwise, who knows what could have happened to Freedom!
    I just got a call from the Leaguers down south. They'll be a while longer, but are glad to hear we're alright. Captain Thunder sends his congratulations to you all, and promises a proper welcome when they return. Meanwhile, I suppose I'll take you on the grand tour. For the next little while, we'll need you on call. At least until the regular League return home!

Those of you who wish it, she takes you on a tour of Freedom Hall, does retinal scans and what have you, granting security access, etc. You all get rooms to stay in, and keep personal items while you're on duty. Even Aesir, who wasn't in the Wreck Room (coming late as he was). You also get communicator ear pieces, allowing you to contact one another while off duty or on missions.
    The main hall with the Freedom League Table in it, the force-field cells for captured villains, the teleporter up to the Freedom League's orbiting satellite... it's all real!
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

23. - Top - End - #173

"...Then why is it I can't shake this feeling of failure?" Soul looks somewhat gloomy. "Never mind that Kraken escaped. But back there...He gave us an ultimatum. He had this device that could destroy the city, and he threatened to do it unless we surrendered.
    I blasted it out of his hand. It worked, but...It could easily have failed. I endangered four million people because I was in a hurry to get out of a bad situation."
    "Hey, cheer up, you did what any hero would have done, saved the day. You thought quickly on your feet and enacted a daring plan that was a success, I would think you would be doing backflips! Let me tell you about this one time, on the planet Ralkon..."

Apex begins to ramble on and on to Soul about some exploit or another that could draw comparison to what they just accomplished, whether it be fighting space pirates or doing some daring mission with no chance of success. This continues during the tour, even if Soul stops listening. Apex is getting way into his past (future?) and on a roll. After the tour, Apex checks out his room and begins to get settled in, though that doesn't take long as he really doesn't have any personal belongings in this time.
    Last edited by SuperMuldoon; 2008-03-12 at 08:42 PM.
    Thog fan 4 life

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

"Huh. Well, that's that then," Fireblade says on their return and Mrs. Gardener's welcome.

Fireblade grins and nods acceptance to being accepted into the League, and tags along on the grand tour/matriculation, surprisingly quiet and pensive compared to when he was here earlier. He looks like he's about to chime in in response to Soul's worries, but instead decides to let Apex ramble on, half-paying attention as he absorbs the old-school superhuman grandeur of Freedom Hall.

So, I'm a real superhero now. That was...easy, he thinks as they pass through the supervillain holding area. It's pretty clear something about this whole situation is bothering him.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Tempo sits back and enjoys the tour (and the ramblings of Apex in the background). Once he gets his room assignment, he begins mentally planning his moving list.

Lets see. Books will take at least two trips. Clothes probably another two. Alarm clock and lamps. Computer? Hmm, there'll probably be a terminal in my room already, but it doesn't have my files. Probably easier just to put 'em on a disk. Of course, then all my fanfics'll be on the network...

26. - Top - End - #176

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMuldoon View Post
    "Hey, cheer up, you did what any hero would have done, saved the day. You thought quickly on your feet and enacted a daring plan that was a success, I would think you would be doing backflips! Let me tell you about this one time, on the planet Ralkon..."

Apex begins to ramble on and on to Soul about some exploit or another that could draw comparison to what they just accomplished, whether it be fighting space pirates or doing some daring mission with no chance of success. This continues during the tour, even if Soul stops listening. Apex is getting way into his past (future?) and on a roll. After the tour, Apex checks out his room and begins to get settled in, though that doesn't take long as he really doesn't have any personal belongings in this time.
    Soul listens closely to Apex's tales. After the tour, she tries to meet him privately.
    "Say...Apex? I have a question. When I mentioned a TARDIS, earlier, you thought I was talking about a Titan Advanced something something Structure...the full acronym escapes me. Anyway...what is it? A T.A.R.D.I.S., I mean?"

27. - Top - End - #177

Wow, I'm really in the big leagues now. This might be a bad time to mention that I almost got the entire team eaten by bugs.

((And Aesir doesn't have a hammer, he just punches things ))

28. - Top - End - #178

"Say...Apex? I have a question. When I mentioned a TARDIS, earlier, you thought I was talking about a Titan Advanced something something Structure...the full acronym escapes me. Anyway...what is it? A T.A.R.D.I.S., I mean?"
    "Ah, the 'Titan Advanced Repeating Dominator Integrated Superstructure...' Well, its a system that the enemy had built into their warships after we had a few successes with capturing some of their ships with boarding parties. We first encountered it during an assault onto a Ransack-class command ship. We thought we had brought down its sheilds and prepared a teleport assault as to neutralize the command crew and hopefully capture the craft to bolster our own dwindling fleet.

Joke was on us though, they deliberately lowered the sheilds, luring us in to test out the system. I was part of that squad that teleported in. We were prepared to meet the expected stiff resistance from the crew, but to our surprise we saw nobody. First thing that ran through my head was that we had teleported in right where they were weakest, but boy was I wrong. We were suddenly bathed in a warm bluish light, and before we knew what was happening the trap was sprung.

See, the T.A.R.D.I.S. that I was referring to is set up to recognize only members of the crew or other special personnel. Since we were the enemy, it recognized us instantly and activated. First, it immobilizes with the "bluish light", which is actually a movement inhibitor field. Next, it proceeds to mentally dominate all that are caught. Those that are enthralled begin to systematically eliminate their comrades, starting with the ones that resist the mental control, and then themselves. We teleported in with a squad of 5,000 soldiers. Only 36 of us escaped, and that was by pure luck as the system had a slight malfunction, giving us just enough time to port away. The worst part of it all was the enemy crew had emerged from hiding and was watching, much to their delight, our own soldiers kill each other..."

Apex gets a faraway look in his eyes for a second, but then shakes it off. "Ah jeez...sorry, I didn't mean to get carried away like that...especially after we just saved the whole city! By the way...what TARDIS did you mean? I'm not too familiar with the things in this time..." Apex says, scratching the back of his head, feeling awkward.
    Thog fan 4 life

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

ooc: So do you six want to role play for a bit, or shall I move us into the next adventure?
    Grrr. Arrrgh.
    Show
    Show
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

((Well, I was considering a short mini-arc of introspection as Tempo deals with the pressure of- ah, who am I kidding? Let's go beat up some robots/aliens/villains! ))