Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Spytrap - Game in progress

All role PM's have been sent out. If you haven't had one yet, PM me.

Game Starts

The year is 1943, and the second world war is in full swing. You are a member of a paratrooper regiment making your way across the Alps to infiltrate Germany on a reconnaissance mission.

A week into your journey disaster strikes. Late in the night you hear a crash and discover that the radio, maps, and compasses have all been hurled off the cliff by person or persons unknown. It appears that the mission has a saboteur!

The mission is a failure. Without navigation aids you cannot travel to the objective or know your exact position. Without a radio you cannot report your findings to military intelligence. The squad commander then opens an envelope containing secret orders, to be opened in an eventuality such as this. As he reads the orders aloud your heart sinks. This is not a top secret high priority mission. It's a spytrap!

The mission was posted as top priority and had a short planning phase to encourage German High Command to rush as many of their agents into the squad in as short a time as possible. In addition suspected agents from other units were also recruited into this crack squad. The purpose? Those who are genuine paratroopers will, in the heat of a field mission, identify and eliminate those who are German agents. If all die - it's no great loss to Military Intelligence since none of you can be truly trusted.

Snow lies all around. You have no idea where you are or which way lies safety. All you know is that your only chance to survive is to unmask the German infiltrators in your midst before they kill you all! As the sun rises you heft your pack and prepare to march.

Day starts and ends at a convenient time after midday GMT on the 20th February.

Alarra - I can't figure out how to rename the thread (to "Game in progress"). Can you help please?
    Last edited by Jontom Xire; 2008-02-18 at 07:27 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    Damn Jontom and his twisting logic that make sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by banjo1985 View Post
    Nothing personal JX, I just know how completely devious and brilliant you are at these games when you have the time to devote to them.
    All I'll say is that Jontom is a master at these games ... the blue guy with the spiky teeth can be very persuasive.

Evnafet's GitP WW archive is here.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Spytrap - recruiting

(To edit thread title, edit the title of your first post! Also, you may want to send out a PM saying that the game is taking place in this thread!)
    Day 1

Lance Corpral Timothy Jameson trudged throught he snow, looking extremely downcast.
    "Bloody Snow!" He yelled. "Why did it have to be in the Bloody Snow! At this rate, I'll freeze to death before we rat out the spies - theywon't even need to try and kill me! This confounded Weather will do it for them. You punch one Idiot Left-tenant, and whaddaya get? Air-dropped into some Bloody snow.
    My only consultation will be the snow will be actually bloody by the time this is over. At least blood is warm, yaknow what I mean?"

(Also, a player list would be nice)
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

3. - Top - End - #63
    Pixie in the Playground

((Isn't it starting on the 20th?))
    Last edited by Free Hand; 2008-02-18 at 02:26 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Lance Corporal Shishnarfniev shakes his head at the snow, brushing some accumulation off of his gloves "Now I know why my parents never complained about English weather. All that fog must have been an improvement over Russian snow. Now which fools are responsible for getting us into this? I think a fast trip down a steep mountain is in order for them... My parents left Russia because they thought the Reds were too much of dictators in making, and got chased out like dogs by those who disagreed. Now I think we all ought to agree that the monster in Germany needs to be stopped, and let's figure out which losers here are working for him so that they can try their luck with the Alpine winter."
    "Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make men happy." --Siegbert Tarrasch

5. - Top - End - #65

It's cold out. We're lost, with no forms of communication. I'm surrounded by a squad of unmentionables, and dang it, we're running short on alchohol. Without a commanding officer, dis-order is about to set in. Last thing we need is a bunch of crazies running around with guns. I decide the best action to take right off is to dig a foxhole. Last thing I need is to be shot out in the open like cattle for those Nazi scum. I grab my shovel from my pack, and start digging. After awhile I have a 4X6 hole dug, so I hunker down in. I pull out a pad and pencil and write a letter to my gal at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixon, Lewis
    My dearest darling,

if this letter reaches you before I do, I'm sorry. I've been caught in the middle of the frozen tundra, and it appears we're up a creek with no paddles. Our supplies have been taken away by enemis who have infiltrated our camp. Who they are, we don't know, but if we don't figure it out soon, you should know a few things.

I love you. Have since the moment we met. You remember this time when Tony took your coat away and I stood up and decked him one to be chivalrous? Well, we planned that just to get you to notice me. Tell Tony and the rest of the crew that I miss them, and I hope to be seeing you all soon. Tell them that I've taken many of these inhuman monsters out, and that I'll continue to do so until freedom is preserved.

I'll write again soon and keep you updated. Sure, I may not get to mail the letter, but if I'm found with them, hopefully someone will have the decency to send them to you to let you know I'm thinking of you. Tell my family I miss them.

I love you,

Lewis.
    I fold up the letter, stick it in an envelope, and shove it into my pack. Rather then freezing here, I gather up some twigs and branches and make a small fire - careful to use dry wood. We certainly don't need any smoke to tell the enemy where we are. I settle in, and look around at the rest of us stuck here. My mind goes over the same thoughts again and again.

Who is the enemy amongst us?

Who is the enemy amongst us?
    Legionary of Protection
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    It wasn't that easy. Supagoof's just that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Summary:
    Supagoof has won the game and withdrawn. He was Epic

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

Right first order of business. Kingsley writes his name in the snow, it's very accurate, but then you'd expect someone who carries a sniper rifle to have good aim.

After which he takes out a can of bully beef from his pack, his utensils and opens it up, munching on the contents. After he's met his immediate needs he strolls over to Lewis Nixon. "That's really a piss poor excuse for a foxhole Lewis." he says in his broad Australian accent. "Wanna hand to make it bigger?" he says warming his hands by the small fire. He also takes out a small kettle and packs it with some fresh snow setting it next to the fire to melt.

Time to start finding out who the spys are. I'll start with this guy.
    Jondar in Winding Roads

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Luck Smith walks up to the fire, and sits down next to Kingsley and Lewis. "Blast that father of mine, making me 'carry on the family tradition'. Why do I Have to die in the cold while he waits out the winter in a house I helped build?"

his muttering dies away as he turns to the men "well, what do you men think of freezing your asses off in the snow?"

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Connor McTyrie crouches down under the cover of the roof easement, grumbling to himself...

"Drafted inta tha british army... what a disgrace... me dear old pa would die o' shame..."

His eyes shifty, his vision darts from person to person...

Writer of the winning scene for Rebellion IV - Thanks guys! Zeus Trophy courtesy of Phase. Who rocks.
    CatMuffin Wolfwood courtesy of Onasuma.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

Great. That's just great. Not only was this a phony mission, but now we've German spies to worry about. Sgt. Hadow thinks to himself. Why in bloody hell did they think that we were all expendable? Why the hell did they think I was expendable?

Let's get moving boys! Double time it! We have to make that ridge by nightfall if we're going to break camp properly.
    HUP TWO THREE FOUR!
    Spoiler
    Show

LLama says: Of course, the game would also have been more balanced if you all would learn not to trust Shadow
    no matter what game he's in or role he has.
    Duos says: I've read the archives... and Shadow frankly scares the bejeesus outta me. It's like playing with a
    hypothetical cross of Lex Luthor and professor Moriarty.
    If he was made of SPIDERS.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by detrevnisisiht View Post
    Hhis muttering dies away as he turns to the men "well, what do you men think of freezing your asses off in the snow?"
    Kingsley shrugs, "How is that any diff'rent to what we normally have to do soldier? We go where we are told to..."

Let's get moving boys! Double time it! We have to make that ridge by nightfall if we're going to break camp properly.
    HUP TWO THREE FOUR!

.....Although."

Kingsley looks up at the Sargeant. "Sarge, couple of things. You know I like nothing more than slogging through difficult snow humping a great bloody pack around, but I'm wondering if perhaps you know something I don't? We have no idea where we are and no idea where the enemy is. So we are either making for high ground coz we don't like all the fluffy white stuff down here in our protected little valley, or to be more easily seen. Now I don't know about YOU, but the orders that the commander read out were pretty clear. Some of us are german infiltrators, and if I were one of those people I'd be crapping myself that I'm gonna end up with a bayonet shoved where the sun don't shine. So I'd want to get to high ground and be seen. Now you know I love you like a brother but lets get one thing straight Sarge. We are ALL suspect, so you know what? I'd rather not take orders from someone who COULD be a German spy trying to kill me. Added to that, YOU are in a difficult position. As one of the commanders of this not so happy band of brothers there's a target painted on you because your death would act to destabilise the command structure. So perhaps just whilst this dilemma exists you could tell us why you are ordering us to do stuff rather than your normal way of shouting it out? Just a suggestion."

Kingsley takes out a cigarette and lights up while he waits for Sarge's response. (he also starts packing away his utensils because he figures he's gonna get his hide blistered anyway).
    Jondar in Winding Roads

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

Clancy Doyle huddles inside his coat near the fire, he's rubbing his bony legs vigorously. He reluctantly stands when the Sergeant issues the order and mutters to the others around the fire while gathering up his pack.

"We're being dragged out here for nothing I'll bet, I mean how hard is it to pick out a couple of Germans?"

Clancy spits.
    Last edited by Free Hand; 2008-02-19 at 06:33 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72

Sgt. Hadow eyes the insubordinate Kingsley harshly.
    Now you listen here boy.
    First of all, we do know where we are. You said so yourself. We're at the bottom of this here valley.
    Protected? Just where the hell were you when they were teaching Defensible Ground, son? And destabilizing the command structure is exactly what we don't need at this point. There's a reason that I have the stripes and you're carrying the OH SO IMPORTANT utensils!
    Stop trying to think now, and leave that to the officers. We're the ones that get paid to think. You get paid to shoot who we tell you to shoot. NOW START HUMPING BEFORE I LOSE MY TEMPER!

Quote Originally Posted by Free Hand View Post
    *snip*
    a couple of krouts?"
    Let's be civil, shall we?
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos
    (Also, a player list would be nice)
    It's on the first page. Right where it always is.
    Last edited by Shadow; 2008-02-19 at 01:27 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

LLama says: Of course, the game would also have been more balanced if you all would learn not to trust Shadow
    Duos says: I've read the archives... and Shadow frankly scares the bejeesus outta me. It's like playing with a

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Lance Jameson pivots at Sgt. Hadow's words, drops to a knee and shoulders his weapon, pointing it at the Sargent (Shadow).
    "Really, Sarge? The Officers get paid to think, huh? Where did they teach YOU your command structure, NCO? GERMAN SPY SCHOOL?" he accuses, having now apparently fogotten the cold snow, as his aim is rock steady at Hadow's heart.
    <<Removed line due to the non-RP content being referanced IC>>

<Noone else wanted to start pointing, so I point due to RP reasons! Its slightly better than random, at any rate.>
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2008-02-19 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Oops.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

14. - Top - End - #74

((OK, let's be petty to start it off. ))

Sgt. Hadow stares down the barrel of the rifle with complete and utter calm.

Have you ever even fired your weapon outside of basic, boy?
    Now's not the time for mutiny. You're too green and it's too damn cold out here.

Now drop and give me twenty,
    Jameson (thanatos) before I really lose my temper and show you how that thing works!
    And the snow on your face will do you some good. Did I say you were green?
    Your face is filthy! Like you been working in the mines.
    Get down there, Coalface!
    Last edited by Shadow; 2008-02-19 at 01:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

"Join the Army they said. Why? To end up lost somewhere as an experiment?" thinks Sponis. "And now, there is a spy among us. And we started pointing guns on each other." continues his thinking.

Everybody, I think it's time to calm down. No need to start accusing one another. Let's move...

Better watch out this Nixon (supagoof) guy... looks a little suspicious.
    My Character...
    Spoiler
    Show

Gorzun Longshots - Orc Hunter

16. - Top - End - #76

In answer to a question I was asked by PM, I would like to make it clear that it is considered cheating to try and contact other players anonymously, be it by email, MSN, or another forum account.

You can feel free to use email and MSN as long as the person you communicate with knows the player name in this game that you are using.

The exception is of course the double agent who can send coded messages anonymously via the narrators. However even that person is still forbidden from anonymous email/MSN/forum accounts. They are only allowed to used the coded message mechanism via the narrators.

And on that point, remember that you can pass those coded messages around. If you receive one and want to give it to someone, PM the narrators stating that you wish to pass the coded message you receive to someone else and who that person is. You can state that you have received one and ask for volunteers to decode it, but you cannot show it to more than one person simultaneously.
    Spoiler
    Show

Nothing personal JX, I just know how completely devious and brilliant you are at these games when you have the time to devote to them.
    All I'll say is that Jontom is a master at these games ... the blue guy with the spiky teeth can be very persuasive.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

"Hey Timothy! That's not how a british gentleman should behave - we are all soldiers and brothers here, but we're gentlemans too. Even Shishnarfniev behaves more civilised than you, and he's more or less russian! So would you please NOT point your gun at your superior. Sheesh!"

Private Yacob Spoch breathes deep to calm himself. After staring for some seconds at Lance Corporal Jameson he glances to Kingsley: "Mind sharing a cigarette?"

((no pointing at the moment))
    Last edited by Yspoch; 2008-02-19 at 04:53 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Private Wilson hoists his pack onto his back and looks around suspiciously at his fellow paratroopers. His face twitches from time to time and a cold sweat stands out starkly on his pimply forhead.

"So, the enemy are among us eh? Wow, I never thought it would end like this, a failed mission and the Germans hiding in our midst?! Jagg! How can you be so calm at a time like this?!"

Private Wilson huddles depper into his military issue winter coat and tries to keep out of the snow as best he can.
    Elder Tsofu believes in the power of Banjo! Banjo-tar by Bayar, I think!
    NEXUS - HORATIO
    WW Roles to Date

Cat Fight 2 - Attack of the Reinholdts - Game Underway

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Private Fin Decano mills aound ths snowy landing point with his binoculars, stopping every couple of feet to scan the ridge of the valley.

Where is the best high ground

Where is most easily defended

Spotting a place he belives is best Private Decano announces the fact.

Sarge I have found somewhere, Up there on the North West lip of the ridge there are some pretty large boulders for cover and its an incline all the way to the edge its gonna be the most defensible place in the region.

And stop pointing your gun at people Jameson (Thanatos) we are not turning on each other like savages after just one day! Besides you'd be more likely to hit him if your gun was holstered and it discharged by accident!
    Last edited by Fin; 2008-02-19 at 06:12 AM.
    Waiting for that day, when we all have the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Kris View Post
    I'll never trust you again. Even if we're on the same team. Even if the narrators tell me to.
    Monkeytar by me!/DYF Avatar by Mr Saturn!
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by thanatos5150 View Post
    (To edit thread title, edit the title of your first post!
    See my first post. Observe the edited title.

Any other ideas?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jontom Xire View Post
    See my first post. Observe the edited title.

Any other ideas?
    It's been above 28 days, that's the cut off where you can't change a title anymore. You need to contact Alarra or Roland to change it for you if you really want/need to.
    Elder Tsofu believes in the power of Banjo! Banjo-tar by Bayar, I think!
    NEXUS - HORATIO
    WW Roles to Date

Cat Fight 2 - Attack of the Reinholdts - Game Underway

22. - Top - End - #82

I already asked Alarra in thread. Maybe she's busy. Maybe a PM would help.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83

DrowGuy

Private Mike Palin wandered over to Fin.

"Defensible, yes. But as Kingsley said, won't we be more easily seen?"

((Also not pointing yet.))

24. - Top - End - #84

((That would be the best way Jontom. Direct PM rather then hoping she catches the post in this thread amongst thousands.... ))

Lewis gets out of his fox-hole and grabs some more woods to throw on the fire.

Let's be clear of a few things. We're in barney, and if the rest of you think that hauling our stuff miles up to the ridge is going to get us anywhere, it won't.

We're trapped in an exercise the big minds call a "spytrap". They tell us, because they know that in order to weed out those who aren't us can only happen in an environment where a few militray rules end up not applying.

First rule that doesn't apply - Rank. Why? Could you take order for someone who may be a spy? I don't think so. So, with all du respect Sargeant, all your yammering is only gonne give us a headache.

Second rule - Location. You think they want to put us at risk? We're stranded in an area the powers that be have chosen to cut off both us from them as well as us from the enemy. So rather then let your training instincts take over, might as well use the one thing they told you not to use, your brain.

Didn't any of you study your military history? This is what they did to the second patrol in the third battalion shortly after the battle of Albert 1914. Dropped them off in the middle of nowhere, and none survived. Seems they couldn't get past each others histories. now I know that the Sgt. has seen a lot of battles and skirmishes, and that he would have you run up the ridge like you were trained, like he was trained, but that ain't the answer. I say we start first with those who have been too silent, what say you
    - (Mustiado)Connor McTyrie?
    Legionary of Protection
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    It wasn't that easy. Supagoof's just that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Summary:
    Supagoof has won the game and withdrawn. He was Epic

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

"Shishnarfne isn't even english, we all know what propper englishman sound like, propper russian no idea." Said Demon King looking at the soldiers.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

Corporal Doyle stops what he's doing when (Thanatos)Jameson trains his rifle on the sergeant. He watches the exchange warily but makes no attempt to step in. He shifts his attention over to Lewis when he speaks up, Doyle returns his attention to the Sergent to see how he'll react.

((@Mordokai: ah sorry didn't understand it for a moment.))
    Last edited by Free Hand; 2008-02-19 at 06:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87

Corporal Sam Therfe eyes his companions warily as he hears of German spies being about. The British Government had ratted them out and left to dispose off double-crossing spies! With tensions flaring around the impromptu camp, Sam starts to look for some suspected Germans of his own, such as this 'Kingsley' fellow (Jagg).
    Last edited by Freshmeat; 2008-02-19 at 06:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Private James Stark looks around him.

Oh great, another mess and I'm in it. How typical. And the HQ takes me for granted. How typical. Reall,y is there anything not typical on this mission? Oh right, we might get killed. No wait, that's typical too.

Sighing, he turns to others.

"I hate cold. I hate snow. I wish they'd send us to some warmer climate if they intend for us to die. But no use crying over the spilt milk. What's here is here and we have to make the best of it. Would you agree with me, Slaanesh?

((Cat, you're supposed to point only at single person per day. You would do wise to edit your post so we know who you're pointing at.))
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

Liara is to Mass Effect as Thrall is to Warcraft.

29. - Top - End - #89

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    Quote Originally Posted by Free Hand
    *snip*
    a couple of krouts?"
    Let's be civil, shall we?
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmeat_
    *snip*
    double-crossing Krauts!
    OK guys.
    I understand that this game is set during the WW. I understand that this is something that would have been said by soldiers of the war.

That doesn't make it any more acceptable.

There are forumites here from all across the world, and I'm sure that they wouldn't appreciate the term any more just because we're RPing here.

If this game was set in the South during the US Civil War, would it be acceptable for us to start calling African Americans *******?

No.
    It wouldn't.
    Please use a little common courtesy and a little respect with regards to these terms.

[/rant]
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90

Spoiler
    Show
    You may have a point there. I'll edit it out, just to be on the safe side.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sigatar by Crimmy